Chase Concierge Grills Me About Why I Bank With ING

All Kristen wanted to do was make a deposit into her checking account at a Chase bank in Washington State, but she says a pushy concierge pulled her out of line and gave her the third degree about why she used ING rather than Chase as her primary bank.

She writes:

I was taking to the employees desk, where the transaction began. After having the check deposited, I was then asked if I would like a receipt. I said no, since I didn’t need the paper and thought I would be able to leave. Unfortunately for me I was then asked a series of questions about my account activity, how often do I use my accounts at Chase (not that often), what my typical balance was there etc.

After it being made clear that they were not my primary bank, they then asked me about my bank (ING). Questions ranged from the normal, “Why do you use ING over us?” to the more personal, “How much do you have in that bank and what does a typical statement look like.” Getting annoyed now that I am being forced to answer all of these questions when all I did was put money into the bank, I become rather curt with my answers (never rude). Finally the employee pulls out a list of Chase account options which she deems better for me, with me opting out. Now the big guns come out, regarding the hotly debated overdraft protection. I decline. Apparently to fully decline I need to wait for a form to print, initial and then sign. After all of that, I was then allowed to leave.

How annoying. I suppose I write this as a cautionary tale to those, on our lunch breaks, who want to simply make a deposit, to not get side swiped by another attendant. The only real reason I bank with Chase is so I can make deposits that fall outside of my direct deposits to ING, since mailing in my check doesn’t seem like the safest option (and there isn’t a brick and mortar branch in Washington State).

The ordeal sounds like an excellent advertisement for banking online exclusively. Has anything like this happened to you?

Comments

1. ianmac47 says:

Yeah, so Chase Bank is not a policing agency, legal authority, military power, or any organization that can compel you to stay. Why not just walk away?

• Bystander says:

Yeah. I would have walked away right to the teller and closed my account.

• MuffinSangria says:

Exactly, once the deposit was done no one was “forcing” her to stay. When faced with pushy sales people I politely decline and If they do not stop, I repeat and walk away or hang up.

• Murph1908 says:

Sounds to me as if they had not completed the deposit yet.

• BurtReynolds says:

I would have added a nice parting “THIS is exactly why I don’t use Chase as my primary bank”. Maybe I’ll get off my duff this weekend and finally open a USAA, Schwab or ING account and ditch BofA. Especially after the story I read on the $30 check stop fee that only stops the check for six months.

• mistashizzle says:

If you read even more you’d realize that it’s like that at all (or the vast majority of) banks.

• Lameth says:

USAA is an amazing bank to do business with. Most of my transactions are immediately available online, up to date, and I get rebates on ATM fees at the end of every month.

I have not had one issue with them, which I can’t say for any other bank I’ve had to deal with.

• sleze69 says:

“After having the check deposited, I was then asked if I would like a receipt. I said no, since I didn’t need the paper and thought I would be able to leave. Unfortunately for me I was then asked a series of questions…”

Yep. After that, I would have walked out.

2. SerenityDan says:

They lied to you. There is no form to opt out. You don’t have to opt out of overdraft protection, either you opt IN or you don’t have it now.

• Hedgy2136 says:

I really wish that were true, but at least for my bank, you do have to opt out if you don’t want the coverage. Of course, they tell you you don’t want to.

• SerenityDan says:

Then you need to report your bank because they are in violation of the law.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

If after August 15 you still have overdraft protection and you haven’t opted-in then they have to remove it. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t explicitly opt-out. They’re flat out lying to you.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

Oh thanks for the heads up on the deadline – didn’t know it was Aug 15th, thought it’d happened already.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I think there was an earlier deadline for some of the credit card regulations.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

At BofA, they’ve got “standard” overdraft which covers you still irregardless of whether you ask for it or not, but only covers certain transactions (not everything like before) and then there is the NO overdraft which, sadly, you have to tell them you want.

• wanpakumono says:

There is a form. You can certainly do it online. Why is there a problem with having a “hard copy” of the form with your signature on it. It may become a source of proof should you end up having problems later on. When I went in to Chase (also not my primary bank), they were very polite about it and suggested that I fill out the form so they could have it on file. There was a very clearly worded “opt – out” option.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Not until August 15th. You have to opt out of overdraft protection right now. I just recently learned that the hard way (I thought the deadline was July 1st, but that is only for customers opening new accounts). My bank signed me up for overdraft protection sometime in the last year (they couldn’t tell me exactly when) without notifying me.

3. hosehead says:

JP Morgan Chase… too big not to fail.

4. TheFinalBoomer says:

“Getting annoyed now that I am being forced to answer all of these questions.”

Who forced you? Weren’t you done? Just walk away. Ridiculous thing to complain about, not like they were making you stay there.

• obits3 says:

Maybe she wasn’t sure if everything was done. I wouldn’t just want to walk away because the bank might assume that you said “yes” to something and change your account. I know that would be illegal, but banks do it. A bank change my account to some “better” status without my permission and I found out right before they tried to charge a fee.

• TheFinalBoomer says:

It plainly says she was done, they asked if she wanted a receipt and she said no. No way would I stand there and let them badger me.

• Pax says:

The tellers at my bank ask me if I want a receipt BEFORE the transaction is done. Often, they ask me while they’re just calling up my account on the computer.

Being asked “do you want a receipt” is in no way proof that the transaction was DONE.

• TheFinalBoomer says:

Did you guys even read the article? I guess I was assuming you had.

“After having the check deposited, I was then asked if I would like a receipt. I said no, since I didn’t need the paper and thought I would be able to leave”

That pretty clearly says she was done. Please try and know what you are talking about before posting.

• Murph1908 says:

Asking you if you want a receipt doesn’t necessarily signify the end of the transaction. Many ATMs ask you at the beginning, as do many gas pumps, cafes, etc.

Being handed the receipt, on the other hand.

5. obits3 says:

I do something similar with my CU. I use WF as my primary bank, but I took out a car loan at my CU and only deposit enough to pay a few payments at a time to avoid potential problems with the right of offset.

6. uptown says:

Just use your legs and walk out. How hard is that?

7. akronharry says:

WHy didn’t she just say “get lost” and move on? I guess some people are afraid of hurting someone else’s feelings. THEY ARE SALESPEOPLE! THEY HAVE NO FEELINGS :) They just move on to the next target.

8. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Quite annoying, but I can’t help but comment on the mail-in deposits. I’ve been doing it now for years with Schwab and haven’t had a problem yet. I highly recommend it over having a brick and mortar in addition to an online account. It makes life so much simpler.

Still, that’s obnoxious, and poor business practice.

• tbax929 says:

With USAA, I take pictures of my checks. They credit them immediately. It’s phenomenal and finally gave me the ability to close my B of A account, which was only used for depositing checks.

• BurtReynolds says:

This is only available if you are a “full” USAA member with insurance through them as well. People with no military affiliation or parent or spouse with an affiliation can’t get it. I still might open an account with them though.

• staralfur says:

FWIW, USAA will send you a stack postage-paid deposit envelopes free of charge. Free checks too.

• webweazel says:

I was in my own local bank just the other day to talk to the service people with some questions I had. I had to wait for someone to get finished, so I perused some brochures. I found out our LOCAL bank has the scan-a-check option that people here love from USAA. I’d love it myself, but at this point it’s only available for business accounts. But heck, it’s AVAILABLE!
        I’m amazed that online banks do not have that option as a matter of course. It would be a natural for them!

9. Shmoodog says:

Similar experience, slightly different tactic.

I went to Chase, my main bank, and deposited a check with the teller. They then said that I had a flag on my account, and I needed to speak with a banker.

I’m like, holy cow, what happened!

The banker then sat me down, and sounding like it was a severe violation, asked me…why I didn’t have a personal banker.

He then gave me a sales pitch about all these things I could do with my money, and I’m like, so, there’s no problem with my account? “No.” Ok, then thanks for your time, but no.

I can’t believe they pulled that, and don’t EVER let your bank make you do anything unless it’s fixing a problem they caused.

• obits3 says:

Thanks for posting your story, that is why this post is relevant. I can’t cry “fire” in a movie theatre, but your bank basically did that to you.

• Conformist138 says:

Probably assuming (correctly, for a lot of people) that the initial fear of “what is happening??” will make them easier targets for overdraft protection and other nonsense. The fear of the worst happening and the relief that it didn’t (along with the unusual human reaction of feeling we “narrowly escaped” a fictitious disaster) makes some people feel extra protective and willing to do “whatever it takes”. In the end, it’s stupid because it gets someone worked up and willing to protect something that was never in any danger in the first place.

10. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

They made you sign a paper to opt out of something that you are, by default, opted out of, and can only be opted in if you agree to it? I really hope you read that paper. That’s like signing a paper at a car dealership saying you AREN’T going to buy a car.

But OP, either deposit your check in the ATM, or when going to a teller, say “Guttentag” and if they ask you a question, shake your head and say “Nein. No sprechen sie English.”. I mean, what are the chances they have a fluent German speaker at the branch?

• Temescal says:

It’s a pretty good idea actually! Also, to limit the chances of them having a fluent speaker of whatever language you’re speaking to them, you can just talk Gibberish. It would also have the side effect of being mildly amusing to the people waiting in line.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Since I doubt many tellers remember their childhoods, you could speak “Op” or “Swedish Chefish”.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I have to agree. I’m pretty sure she just signed to opt-in, or at least signed to do something she didn’t want.

• Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

Excellent idea, I even have a German name to go with it.

BOA does something similar to this lie of questioning. We’re only there because they acquired our local bank so we don’t have any fees until 10/11. That was very convenient when I needed a couple days worth of account research done, all for free.

• Alvis says:

Might help if you said it in German correctly.

• TPA says:

There’s always Esperanto

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

It may sound weird but there are banks that are putting an opt-out option on their overdraft forms so that you can revoke a previous request to opt-in. But unless you explicitly opted in you don’t need it.

• Putaro says:

Speaking in German to avoid marketing pitches? That’s called passive aggressive. You want to move to just plain assertive behavior – “No thank you, stop wasting my time, would you like for me to close my account right now?”

11. ShruggingGalt says:

I thought the overdraft protection was OPT-IN, not you have to OPT-OUT.

What did she sign? And I’d file a complaint over it. You shouldn’t have to sign ANYTHING when you don’t want a product that has to be OPT-IN. Even if it’s just to state that you won’t hold Chase liable when they bounce a check.

12. quirkyrachel says:

Why would you answer questions about another account at another bank? The only reason you’d have to give that info is if you’re applying for a mortgage or other loan.

13. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

They did the SAME THING to me – i’m guessing that is why they LOST THE TEXAS UNEMPLOYMENT money contract.

When I realized what they did, I came back the next day to cancel that stupid account and they told me I sure could – but the money in it was theirs.

WTF. Chase needs to FALL!

• BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Yeah – and I never signed anything. Never got any “by the way, any money you put in this today is going to be ours if you ever close this account.” — I didn’t have the time or resources to fight them legally.

I closed it. Wrote off the $50-100 they kept, and kept trying to find a damn job.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

It’s probably in one of the disclosures some place but I’ve seen that fee before (can’t remember which bank) where if you close a new account within 6 months of opening it there’s a penalty.

• BHall says:

I realize that we are all at different levels of financial knowledge but if I am not completely misreading your post; you are a very scary person. I hope that someday you figure out where you went wrong and get it fixed. I have a mental picture of you walking into a bank and throwing money at some random stranger in line thinking that they were an employee.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Wait, what? So Chase made you listen to a sales pitch, which is why they lost the “Texas Unemployment money contract”(which BTW, according to the Texas Workforce Commission, they still handle), and you only realized you listened to a sales pitch the next day, and when you tried to close your account, they said the money in your account was theirs, which is why they need to FALL?

• Lolotehe says:

Oh? They lost the contract? Links! Links! I want something to click on so I can laaaaaaaaaugh.

14. zandar says:

Sounds like the sort of treatment you’d get at a retail store- like the pleading “why aren’t you getting batteries with your purchase? They’re 10% off!” every time I go to Radio Shack.

in other words, not that odd. sucky, but not odd.

15. Temescal says:

I can’t believe I’m going to recommend Bank of America, but, here goes:

Now, at any BofA ATM I go to, I can deposit my checks without having to talk to anyone at all. It even prints a receipt with a picture of the check on it.

OK. Now I feel dirty. I have to go and take a shower.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Agreed. And to be honest, the people at all my local BofA branches are very friendly and helpful. I wouldn’t get a mortgage from them, but for everyday banking, they’re great. And their online and ATM banking mean I don’t ever have to step foot in one if I don’t want to.

• BurtReynolds says:

Last time I entered a BofA branch (the ATM was broken), I felt like I had just been ripped off somehow, even though all I did was deposit a check. Too many questions about nonsense.

• bethSMASH says:

Wells Fargo will email me a receipt, so I can be an environmentally friendly hermit.

• DarthCoven says:

Chase has the same kind of ATM. I never deal with a teller anymore unless there’s a problem.

16. pot_roast says:

“Look, I’m in a hurry. I’d like to deposit this and be on my way.”

That should have been the end of it.

17. sanjaysrik says:

How is this news? The “customer” does NOT have to answer any questions to any annoying idiot at Chase.

You have the option of walking away and telling them to go “f” themselves. You had made your deposit, now, walk out.

I use another bank as my brick and mortar and after a check clears at that bank, I transfer the money to ING.

Why do I use ING, because they don’t suck.

18. DRHicks says:

I know that others banks, one of which I recently worked for, do this. Our tellers had referral requirements (or else loose hours/job), and were instructed to attempt to bring those who only used our bank as side accounts in to see our bankers. They checked average balance, and would suggest money market accounts, etc, and really would push for you to ‘sit with your personal banker’. While the goal was to make money for the bank, it was somewhat true that many customers could be doing a lot with the money that they had and didn’t realize it… but that is NO excuse for being rude to a customer.

And the whole ‘opt out form’ is internal bank nonsense to try to make you opt-in, as far as I can tell. I have filled them out for my accounts at different banks as well, just to appease them. No way I am going to opt-in for “Overdraft Protection” of the sort that they offer.

19. pridkett says:

Chase did a similar thing with me in New York, but the odd thing was this: it was against another Chase card. Start up the wayback machine to February 2010…

I needed a cashiers check to pay for security deposit on my new pad, so I wandered down to my local Chase branch on the UES and wait in line for a teller. One of their bankers comes up to the line and says that he can take people who don’t need cash. Great! That’s me. I wander over there, fill out the paperwork for the cashiers check, really it was quite seamless. Then, the full court press starts. I immediately get the feeling that I’m a shady Russian camera shop in Brooklyn (probably doesn’t help that this guy’s name was something like Ivan and he was very Russian). “I see you don’t use your debit card for most your purchases, but you keep a large balance in your checking account. Why don’t you use your debit card?” “I have a Chase Platinum Rewards Signature Card that gives me killer rewards.” “But you can get a debit card with rewards, like airline miles.” “I doubt that has better benefits that my credit card. I get 5% cash back on gas, groceries, pharmaceuticals, and a variety of other stuff. Everything else I get 2% cash back.” “With a debit card you don’t have to pay interest or worry about paying your statement every month.” “I don’t pay interest right now, and my bill is paid in full automatically every month.” At this point he wanted to see the card and muttered something like “How did you get such a card? I’ve never seen anything like it and it’s not listed in our system.” I explained that I got an invitation about six years ago for it because I’m a fairly heavy card user (although I’ve never paid interest fees). He gave up on that on started to grill me about why I didn’t use their online bill pay. I explained that every one of my bills was paid with my credit card, even rent — and they were all paid automatically. The reason why I needed the cashiers check is because I don’t even have a checkbook. At this point he just seem flabbergasted at his inability to sell me another product. So he started to ask me about retirement accounts. At this point I stood up and said “I think we’re done here” and just walked out.

The most surreal thing about it is that nearly all of my accounts are with Chase — checking, credit, auto loan, remaining student loans, etc and he was frustrated by the fact that he couldn’t sell me more crap. It was just surreal.

20. sanjaysrik says:

Last time I was at a chase years ago when I an account with them…

I was there at my lunch hour, the normal hour when most people who work 9-5 go to the bank, there was that usual maitre’d guy standing around looking smug and useless who was asking how he could be helpful to customers waiting in line for the SINGLE teller while all the other 9 windows went unmanned, my response, “stop standing there, go behind the glass and start taking customers” the guy just smiled at me obsequiously and went back to standing there like some useless mannequin.

Another observation. If I go to a Duane Reade and use the Chase ATM IN the Duane Reade, I don’t get charged a fee for using my ING Direct card. Yet, if I walk next door and attempt to use the Chase ATM at a Chase branch, sometimes upwards of $2.50 fee.

How does this make any sense?

• juggler314 says:

It is because the “Chase” atm in the Duane Reade store isn’t actually owned by chase – it’s owned by the company that ING uses (don’t remember offhand). Chase just pays them something to brand them Chase atms so they can claim they have the most ATM’s in NYC. There’s an easy to use mobile site for looking up ING Direct atm locations if you need to do that.

21. kylere1 says:

Not blaming the OP entirely, but all she had to do was use her feet. It was wrong of them to do this, and she could have stopped it.

• ChuckECheese says:

Chase in this situation is taking advantage of a polite person’s proclivity to be polite by not walking away from somebody who is talking to her. The interesting way to deal with this is to be open and succinct about expectations. Say, “I’m on my lunch hour, in a hurry, and don’t have any time to spend listening to sales pitches or any other sort of manipulative talk. I’ll give you 15 seconds to tell me what you want, but that’s all.” Then stare at your watch. Never sit down for a salesperson. Remain standing. If people ask you questions about your banking, say, “I am not of a mind to talk to you about my business. Have a good day.” Turn around and walk away. Another show-stopper is to say, “I only do business when I have all the terms and conditions in writing before I make a decision. Do you have these available immediately?” If the answer is no, then walk away with a polite goodbye.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Yes, but sometimes it’s hard when someone who seems to be in authority or control of your money is aggressive like that. Not saying she shouldn’t have walked away, but some people do have issues with confrontation, and Chase is beyond shady for taking advantage of that.

22. BarkIsNutritious says:

After reading a few articles on The Consumerist that have been posted in the past month or two, I canceled my Chase account 2 weeks ago. I hadn’t had a problem with my account or Chase in general in the previous 5 years – did they just get much worse since the bank world went to hell in 2008?

• ericfate says:

I closed out my Chase account the day after they stopped being WAMU. The sad part was, the representative who closed the account kept trying to explain to me that nothing had really changed, and that the franchise was planning to keep the current staffing levels intact. She was absolutely convinced that nobody there was going to lose their job and that nothing about my account would be changed.

She’s not there anymore. None of her former coworkers are there either.

• tbax929 says:

So you closed your account based on what others reported? That seems silly to me. I know people who’ve banked at places like Chase, B of A, and Wells Fargo for years without incident. The bigger the company, the more complaints they’re going to have.

I read this site regularly, but I still shop at Wal-Mart. I have a mortgage with B of A. I drive a GM car. You know what? I don’t have any problems with any of those companies. I mean, you have to make decisions based on your experience, not based on the experience of strangers on the internet.

23. curmudgeon5 says:

Uh, this is standard marketing tactics. You say no firmly and you leave. This is really a complaint here? Was she held against her will? How helpless is this woman?

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I wouldn’t call this standard. I’ve never had this or seen this happen in any bank I’ve been in.

• jamar0303 says:

Definitely not. I have accounts at Bank of America (shocker, I know, especially with my comments way back when about never ever touching the American banking system when it came up, but I have no choice) and Wachovia (transitioning to Wells Fargo). This never happened at Wachovia even as I told them that my primary account would be the BofA one and that the one I opened with them was a secondary account opened for certain international services (Wells Fargo ExpressSend- same-day uber-cheap wire transfer to my Chinese account; BofA doesn’t offer anything like that at all, or if they do, I have yet to see it).

24. ob1canobeans says:

NUNYA- that is what you say to anyone who asks you a question(s) for which the only response is: none of your business.

25. curmudgeon5 says:

Also, try: “That’s none of your business.” Seriously, what is up this person’s helplessness and Consumerist endorsing her attitude????

26. Aeirlys says:

The Wells Fargo branch I use is a little sneakier – they have a greeter who tries to chat you up while you’re in line and then send you over to the account managers. He’s definitely got a mental check list, but he’s a little smoother than someone reading off a script. A simple, “I’m not going to discuss my finances with you” usually gets rid of him.

Headphones also work wonders.

27. msbask says:

Why would you stand and there take this? Turn around and leave.

28. tundey says:

That’s why I always use the ATM. It never talks back or offer me products I don’t want.

29. sixseeds says:

My workplace doesn’t do direct deposit, so every two weeks I have mosey down to the nearest Chase branch, an adventure which requires a fixed and reliable strategy:

1) Debit card use. I tell them flat out that there’s no reason to use my debit card when my credit cards have greater legal protections AND better rewards. I’ve also pointed out that Chase has a lousy track record protecting its customers who do run into debit card issues.

2) Account balance (in my case, checking). Yep, it’s always that low. I keep everything else with a bank that actually pays me interest.

3) Online bill pay. Due to Chase’s ass-backwards fee schedule, it’s cheaper for me to write checks every month than to use online bill pay, which is cheaper for them. Unless they’re willing to pass the savings of electronic payment onto me, they can keep paying to process my damn paper checks.

4) Direct deposit. I would actually like this, but given the m.o. of my tiny employer, not gonna happen, no matter how much you beg.

Be firm, look at a watch or other timekeeping device pointedly if you have to.

And re: overdraft protection – they made me sign something too. I think they’re just covering their asses. I’ve definitely opted out because the pleas to opt in have doubled in frequency (oh gods, the emails!).

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

But don’t you agree that it’s ridiculous that you have to come up with a strategy just to walk in your bank?

• sixseeds says:

Absolutely. I’m a sucker for the convenience (Chase branches/ATMs are ubiquitous here) and the tellers at the branch near my office all know me. The hardcore upselling only started about a year or so ago, and as a former retail drone I suspect they got a new branch manager who insists on upselling everythingtoeveryonenomatterwhat. (You know the type.) The tellers who recognize me almost never upsell (when they do I figure their manager must be hovering around); but every now and again some new hire tries.

I hate that I need a strategy, but suspect it would be like this at any other bank. And all the credit unions for which I might qualify all seem to have only 1 branch that’s really far away and never open.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I keep everything else with a bank that actually pays me interest.

Then why not use that bank for your regular checking? Do they not offer that?

• Red Cat Linux says:

I’ll pipe in as an ING customer.

I use ING for direct deposit and free bill pay. They pay me interest no matter how much I’ve got in the account. More in savings than checking. ING does offer a check service, but it’s not exactly a fast thing. If I’m mailing a check, it’s fine and free.

If I need a check to hand to the plumber/electrician/whatever who does not take credit cards, I write a check from my local bank on the spot. I only keep enough money in the account to cover emergency checks – less than $1000. When the local bank asked me why I don’t use them for all the stuff I do with ING, I told them. They shut up.

I’d keep nothing at all in that bank but $10 if I could transfer funds to/from ING instantly.

• sixseeds says:

It’s with ING, whose checking (unless I misunderstood the policy) still requires me to have another checking account at a B&M bank. I do still need to write checks now and again (rent, for example) and I’m not crazy about the idea of mailing in my paychecks for deposit (did I mention I live in Chicago?).

• obits3 says:

My bank likes to ask for Debit cards as ID. Usually I respond by saying:
      “I don’t own a debit card, but your are welcome to see my state issued driver’s license.”

30. atomoverride says:

Chase is the devil. Dont trust them, and dont stand for anything. If they say you have to sign something, dont. Just start steppin.

31. anime_runs_my_life says:

Why is it their business at all? A simple “It’s not any of your business” will suffice. Continued harassment should be met with ” I would like to speak to your manager” will get them to shut up.

Up until my mother passed away, I was banking with Wells Fargo. It never failed that I’d get a sales pitch to switch over to their bank anytime I called. Even telling them that there are no banking locations in Missouri didn’t deter them. It was even suggested to me once that I should drive to the closest branch to do business. The closest branch is nearly 3 hours away in Illinois. No thanks. I was never so glad to get rid of them.

32. frak says:

When we sold my wife’s car a lady at Wells Fargo (buyers bank) saw my checkbook and asked why I didn’t use a “local bank”. “Uh, that’s a local credit union in (next town over) and they didn’t take bailout money”. She didn’t harass me anymore after that.

33. frak says:

The real story here is why people continue to put-up with BS from their bank. You did not sign a lifetime contract with them, heck they’re not even your primary bank in this case! VOTING WITH YOUR DOLLARS is the ONLY effective way to send a message to any business.

34. tbax929 says:

I guess experiences vary wildly from branch to branch. I had a Chase account I opened back when they were offering $150 to open one (I think it came in my change of address package when I moved here). Anyway, I had it for a couple of years without incident. Then I joined USAA.

When I went in to my local Chase branch to close my account, the representative asked why. I told her I switched to USAA. She said she understood and promptly closed my account without objection.

35. guspaz says:

I don’t know about the US, but in Canada, the answer to “Why do you use INGDirect instead of us?” would invariably be “Because their interest rates on regular accounts are three times higher than your interest rates on special high interest accounts.”

36. baeb66 says:

Uggh. The customer services at big banks is so awful. I bank with USAA and they let me deposit checks by scanning them on my PC or taking pictures with my iPhone and depositing through their app. I don’t understand why more banks don’t adopt this technology.

• Goldfinch Library says:

Chase just launched the same technology, called Quick Deposit (for iPhone). I’m still an advocate of making the top brass hear that the “pulling people from the lobby” game is annoying :)

37. Winston says:

I always nip these situations in the bud by saying, “I admire your tenacity but I’m really not interested. Thank you.”

If they’re wearing a name tag. I address them by their name first.

I’ve never had anyone try to continue afterwards.

38. doodlebug says:

Seriously? If I would have been harassed like that I would have closed my account immediately and taken my business elsewhere. It is none of their business what people do with their money.

39. vastrightwing says:

The answer is, “I bank with ABC bank because they treat me better than you. Goodbye.”

40. Bodger says:

How did they know that Chase was not her “primary” bank? Did she ever hear the phrase “take this bank and shove it”? There are an amazing number of banks out there and if my bank ever annoyed me about my banking practices and why I have two ING accounts I’d have my account closed and be out the door so fast that they’d hear the “boom” from a block away as the air rushed back into the space I had occupied. Probably the biggest reason I keep a local bank is that they have safe deposit boxes and ING doesn’t…

41. themicah says:

I had a Chase concierge ask me similar questions about my banking habits when I went in to cash out a matured Wamu CD last year. He was very friendly about it and did an unusually good job for a frontline salesman of listening to my priorities in banking and trying to gently sell me on specific Chase services that suited my wants/needs. While I already had my withdrawal check in hand, I didn’t cut him off because I’m always interested if there is something better out there than what I’m using now. I suppose the pitch could have been perceived as annoying or invasive, but I actually thought they did an unusually good job of probing for what I care about and then trying to show me how their services could meet my needs (and knowing the details of their products really well). More salesman should learn to use these techniques instead of just reciting a one-size-fits-all pitch.

At the end of the pitch it was clear that my current ING/Schwab combo still suited my needs better than anything Chase had to offer, and I explained to the salesman why that was. He made a comment about how those banks sound like pretty good deals, so I offered to refer him to ING (he’d get a $25 bonus and I’d get a $10 referral bonus). He smiled and declined my generous offer. Can’t say I didn’t try!

42. chimpski says:

Ongoing theme: you do not have to do what people (or machines) ask of you.

“I’m sorry I’m very busy, good bye”

43. richcreamerybutter says:

Holy crap, I had an almost identical experience in a Chase branch 2 weeks ago! To make matters worse, the cubicle guy invited his manager and they both barraged me with questions and pressured me to “upgrade” my services (in addition to shoving the overdraft paper in my face). For those who say, “just leave,” there’s always the fear they are going to pull something to delay the transaction, but it’s also a shock tactic (not unlike when you’re groped on the subway, and you have to think for a minute to determine if it actually happened). After many years with Chase, this was the fire under my ass needed to initiate my exit.

I signed up for a USAA account just this morning!

44. Capta76 says:

I can’t even remember the last time I set foot inside a bank. I do bank with Chase, but use the ATM almost exclusively. With the updated iPhone app, I can just deposite from the phone, which is a nice feature to have.

45. blueduckconsumerist says:

I had a very similar experience at a NYC branch:

I had already begun the process of closing my Chase account — drawing down funds from it and had opened & been making deposits to my new bank (TD — outstanding so far). I realized I had an outstanding check against my Chase account that I wasn’t going to have funds to cover. So made a cash withdrawn from TD and walked it over to Chase to deposit.

Standing in line for the teller, a weasel came out and asked “does anyone just need to make a deposit?” I foolishly said yes and was taken to his desk, where he saw the cash was in a TD envelope. AFTER I’d handed over my cash but BEFORE I’d gotten my receipt (he sent an assistant off to “process” the deposit) I got to field a bunch of questions about TD, poking around my account in the computer, suggesting there were more appropriate accounts for me, etc.

I simply refused to talk to him. Said only “I don’t have time to talk about this now. I’m late for work and only came to make a deposit.” Repeat 10 times or so, he surrendered, the receipt showed up, and I left.

46. dush says:

I sure hope the poster refused to tell the Chase person all those personal details about her other account.

47. SugarMag says:

I actually had CREDIT UNION (gasp!) hold me up to sell me a bunch of financial products. I listened politely since it was of interest but when I took their brocures/paperwork and said I would “think about it” the sale rep snatched the products from me and said I had to decide RIGHT NOW and NO I could not get the input of anyone I trusted outside of the CU.

I just had to comment. Chase hasn’t done anything to me personally and I will not do business with them (or BofA) since I am a loyal consumerist reader.

48. Darkneuro says:

It’s part of their plan to increase their business. “Oh, doesn’t appear you bank a whole lot with us. Who’s your primary bank? Really? Here, let me tell you why you should move your business with us.”
    It’s probably required that they upsell everyone, but since you actually gave them information regarding your habits, they decided to pounce. A simple “I’m in a hurry, all I need to do is make this deposit, no I don’t want any other accounts.” should have sufficed.

49. bwcbwc says:

“Because ING doesn’t make me deal with idiotic marketing surveys when I’ve got better things to do.”

50. laffmakr says:

And you stood there and answered the questions? Were you being physically detained? Were you locked in? Did they actually physically pull you out of line or did they ask you if they could ask you some questions?

Sounds like you exacerbated the problem by not replying with “that’s none of your frakkin’ business. Good bye.” And I wouldn’t use the word frakkin.

51. Goldfinch Library says:

I’ve been waiting for this to show up on Consumerist. It’s a practice that I disagree with fully.

It works pretty much as the OP described: a banker (new account rep) pulls a customer intending to do a quick transaction over to their desk, sends a second employee to post the transaction with a teller, and in the mean time checks to make sure that all of the customer’s information is up to date.

In theory, not terrible. But this means that the transaction takes about twice as long as it would have otherwise, and the review almost always means “product recommendations” – a sales pitch. This is SO misleading, as the verbiage and mannerisms of the new account rep are meant to make the customer feel as if they are just going to another teller, which of course they are not.

Here’s the thing:
    Just closing your account isn’t going to do a whole lot – it hurts, but Chase isn’t going to get the full story why, and thus, will take longer to change. Bankers have a feedback button on their homepage. If you are closing your account because of this, insist that the person helps you submits your exact reason why. If the banker looks at you like s/he doesn’t know what you’re talking about, talk to a manager. Ask them to submit feedback even if you’re not closing the account.

Trust me on this: if this goes away bc of customer complaints, the bankers will be happy, too. We hate it.

52. Goldfinch Library says:

Also, as for the opt in/opt out question:

That form that the OP was asked to initial was for the “Debit Overdraft Coverage,” basically making the decision ahead of the August 15th deadline on how you would like your card to work. As many people pointed out, the default (“no”) will kick in automatically next month. However, customers – like the OP – can choose to start having her transactions declined now rather than waiting until August 15th. If she wants to verify that it’s what she did, she can ask to check her preferences with any retail banking employee. We also scan and keep electronic copies of everything the customer signs or initials, and so she can actually ask to see an exact copy of what she initialed.

53. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

I would have interspersed my non-anxwers with lots of creative cuss words. LOL

54. dilbert69 says:

I’ve mailed in checks to my credit union and other out-of-state banks for decades and have never had a single loss.

55. AwesomeJerkface says:

The thing I love about Chase banks…

DEPOSIT YOUR CHECK AT AN ATM. You don’t even need an envelope anymore at some ATMs.

I understand some people are nervous about it, but I’ve never had a problem and the teller seems like a huge waste of time.

Then again, entertaining personal questions from a salesperson seems like a huge waste of time, too.

56. coren says:

No, to fully decline you need to sign nothing – they can’t sign you up for overdraft without your permission.