Gym Told Me I Could Quit Paying If I Moved Away, Fibbed

John signed up for a Gold’s Gym membership with the understanding that he wouldn’t have to fork over the $25 monthly fee after he moved away for college. He was told that would be fine, but the manager he spoke to reneged on the deal and now he’s stuck paying for something he can’t use.

He writes:

Last year (2009) in May I signed a one year contract with the Hamilton Mill’s Gold’s Gym in [redacted], Georgia. The only reason I signed the one-year contract was because it was a good deal (25 dollars a month) and the lady that I signed with told me that it would be very easy to cancel the contract at the end of my stay in Georgia as I go to school in TN. So basically I was expecting a 25-dollar a month Gold’s Gym membership for four months (May-August) then to be able to cancel it in August before I headed off to school out of state.

Well when I went in August with my Fall semester schedule to show that I was going to school out of state, a different lady made it very difficult for me saying there’s no way they can cancel my membership, and would not hear of anything even when I explained to her that the salesperson that I signed with specifically told me that all I would need to do is show my schedule and that they would cancel my one-year contract. The only thing the lady would do for me was to suspend my membership during the school year and said she would make it reactivate during the 2010 Summer. I was hesitant to even take that deal because I planned on taking Summer classes, but with that being the only option shown to me I took it.

Well fast forward to now, I have been billed from May to July of 2010, and have not been able to use the Gold’s Gym membership as I have been out of state in TN taking Summer classes. So my mom go’s to the Gold’s Gym and asks if they can now cancel my contract as I live out of state, they told her that I needed to fax in some documents or come there to cancel. So I make the drive to come down to my parents house and I go to the Gold’s Gym and I talk with one of the owners, a big and tall brown haired Caucasian man. He tells me he will cancel my membership in August, so I will still be billed an additional month which I can’t even use. So I ask him if there’s anyway he could let me mom use that month and he says no. So I say to him that the only reason I signed the one year contract was because I was lied to and told that it would be easy to cancel. He must have taken offense to that because he starts yelling at me saying that he will NOT transfer my one month to my mom because I said that he was “ripping me” off.

The funny thing was the lady that lied to me and told me it would be easy to cancel was still working there, and the other lady that would not let me cancel came into his office near the end of him yelling at us. Well as I left I gave him a thumbs up and told him sarcastically that I hoped his business did well (which I obviously do not).

Consumerist I beg of you please find me justice! All I want is the three months I have been billed in 2010, and to not be billed a final time in August, a month that I cannot even use as I go to school in TN.

It seems most people have wriggled out of gym memberships at some point. If you’re a member of that club, share your pointers in the comments.

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Sadly, those selling memberships will say anything to get you to sign up.

The contract is the governing rules. The OP should have asked to see the part of the contract that states he could cancel his membership. It may actually exist, so he should look for it.

2. anime_runs_my_life says:

EECB? I’m sure that there has to be someone that he can appeal to that would be able to take care of it.

3. dragonfire81 says:

Unfortunately OP may be out of luck here. If Gold’s Gym has a one year contract with his signature on it, I believe they can legally hold him to it.

He should have gotten something IN WRITING stipulating that he would be allowed to cancel after X number of months. He didn’t and now Gold’s is under no obligation to honor the deal they supposedly offered him as they can claim he has no proof of it.

It’s wrong and it’s dirty, but Gold’s has a reputation for dicking people around like this.

4. SerenityDan says:

Consider it part of your education. “If it’s not in writing it isn’t true”

5. donjumpsuit says:

No love here.
    Should have paid the extra $10-15 a month, for 4 months, rather than signing a 12 month/$25 contract.

• Michaela says:

I agree. It seems like he is just another person who got burned for trying to cheat the system.

• dolemite says:

Yup. If everyone did this, you’d have the gym having to deal with canceling contracts on a daily basis, and gym memberships would basically be $25 for every person.

6. sanjaysrik says:

IF he put it on a credit card, why not take it to the credit card company and do a chargeback? Let them deal with it.

• JoeDawson says:

Chargeback, however does not absolve you of a debt, they could still go to collections.

• Draygonia says:

I guarantee he could walk away without a lawsuit. What are they going to do? Spend more in lawyer fees to get him to pay his 25 bux a month? LOL

• mackjaz says:

They’ll just bug the crap out of him and his family until he gives up.

• Draygonia says:

You’re right… change numbers :D Not like they can legally pull your credit to find your new contact information if you dont authorize it.

• adamstew says:

No… they won’t sue him for it. But they will send it to a collection agency who will then list it on his credit report.

• ShruggingGalt says:

They could transfer it to a collection agency….

And I’ve seen small businesses take people to small claims. They may hold on to a few and file them at once, and then the cases would be heard on the same day…..

• Draygonia says:

Or the same week. Everyone has to present their case. Every hour goes by they pay their lawyer a hundred or better dollars. Not worth it.

• dolemite says:

I’m not sure how that would work. “Ok, I signed a contract agreeing to pay $25 a month for 12 months, but listen to me. Some person …I don’t know the name, told me I could sign a contract and cancel it any time for any reason, thus negating the reason to have a contract in the first place. You just have to believe me, over that contract with my signature on it you have in your hand.”

• SlappyWhite says:

Thats not going to work. The credit card company investigates those disputes. When Gold’s faxes in the contract, it’ll say 12 months @ 25/month, with the OP’s signature. What may or may not have been said will not factor in, only the signed contract.

Chargeback denied.

7. pantheonoutcast says:

I’ve never belonged to a gym, but do they make you include your SSN or credit card info when filling out the membership application? Is it like applying for a credit card, a loan or a checking account? How exactly is the billing done? Automatic deduction?

Also, if you knew you were leaving the state in four months, why would you sign a one-year anything for a local business? Especially if you were going to take summer classes in August?

I think that’s enough interrogative sentences for one post…

• Big Mama Pain says:

Because he was basically trying to get the cheapest membership possible (the one year contract is cheaper); trying to game the system, and he got screwed. I’ve seen people try to sell the remainder of their Gold’s Gym contracts on Craigslist and in the classifieds, so apparently they are notorious for holding you to that contract.

Time to face reality dude; you’re a big boy now, and “I didn’t know” just doesn’t fly in the real world.

• craptastico says:

usually you give them either a credit card, or if you really want a hassle down the road, they can get your bank account to automatically pay it. gyms thrive on automatic payments. usually they’ll let you suspend your account if you’re hurt or out of town, but you’re still responsible for the full year

• FatLynn says:

My Bally’s membership showed up on my credit report as an installment account until I completed the initial two years.

8. RyGuy1152 says:

I have to cancel a Gold’s membership in November when my 1 year contract is up and am dreading it…

• qwickone says:

I’ve done it at then end of a contract and it was fine. Just take two copies of a letter stating you’re canceling to the gym and have them sign your copy that it was received. I think you have to cancel 30 days in advance though, so make sure you do it early enough.

• BurtReynolds says:

Sounds like you just confirmed for me that I don’t want to join Gold’s.

Luckily I have a choice in my area. LA Fitness has no contracts.

9. SpamMeNot says:

If the only reason he signed up was because of the assurances of the representative, he should be able to get out of the contract. Any contract fraudulently entered into has the possibility of being voidable where the person signing the contract reasonably relied on the assertions of the person offering the contract. While OP probably should’ve asked to be pointed to the written provision saying he could cancel, if the company is in the practice of getting people to sign their contracts on the basis of knowingly misrepresented or wrong information, it is engaging in fraud.

OP should do some research into the Georgia Code, which will govern the company in this situation. Specifically, Section 13-5-5.

10. skakh says:

These companies are incredibly stupid. Rather than attempt to hold this person to the contract, Golds Gym should simply let him cancel. Why p’off a customer for a couple of hundred dollars. Just one reason why I, and anyone in may family, avoids these business at all cost. Got to wonder where these characters revieved their business knowledge?

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I suspect a huge portion of their business model is having a user base who grossly over estimates how much they’ll use the gym when they sign up for their contract.

• bhr says:

much like airlines I’m assuming “overbooking” is a huge part of their profit margin. As in, they could support 100 regular customers for X dollars, so they charge X/100 for membership. Then they sell 200 memberships, hoping that 100 of those people either give up after a few month or use it so rarely that they don’t occupy much usage.

• bdgbill says:

I had a gym owner tell me exactly that a few years ago. He said half the people that joined would probably cancel within two months if he let them. He also said that if every one of his paying members actually showed up once a week, that the gym would be hopelessly overcrowded every day.

11. tweeder82o says:

set it on fire…

12. The Marionette says:

Lesson learned? Get things on paper. When I got my cellphone service last year (cricket) the rep at the store told me that since it has no “contracts” that I could cancel any time, so i asked him for the papers that state that which he did provide, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

• danielem1 says:

That’s all well and good, but I once asked a Wachovia rep to send me the terms of my savings account while on the phone and they didn’t seem to get it, they just repeated the policy which I had never heard of before as if it must be true because they were saying it.

13. Coelacanth says:

Sounds like he already reached an acceptable resolution. The gym may not have allowed him to cancel at all, instead – it seems as if he was let out of the contract, under some “30 days notice” arrangement.

At this point, I think he should let this be a teachable moment in contracts and eat the loss (which doesn’t even sound that great in the grand scheme of things.)

14. GrymOne says:

“Last year (2009) in May I signed a one year contract with the Hamilton Mill’s Gold’s Gym in [redacted], Georgia”

Google-Fu: Hamilton Mill’s Gold’s Gym

Gold’s Gym #1051
    1250 Auburn Rd
    Dacula, GA 30019

Phone: 770-831-5858
    Fax: 770-339-2616
    hamiltonmillga@
    goldsgym.net

• zaku2s274 says:

Thanks for their contact information. Now everyone should call them several times a day, and fax them completely black pages; all for great justice of course.

15. keepher says:

I was all prepared to continue my dislike for places like Gold’s, actually I will continue it but I’m afraid the OP is in the wrong here.

The OP signed a legal document knowing that he/she would renege on the deal in a few months just to get a $25.00 monthly deal. That’s why there are contracts, that’s why we should read and understand them before signing on that dotted line. And yes, everything should be in writing for any changes to said contract.

16. marthax says:

I know in my Gold’s Gym contract it clearly states if I move 5 miles away from the location I frequent I can cancel. Have you gone through your original contract with a magnifying glass?

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I forget the exact distance, but my Gold’s Gym membership contract also clearly says that if I move more then X distance from the gym (or maybe it’s more than X distance from any Gold’s Gym, I’m not sure on this), then I can cancel my membership. It is definitely in print; the OP should double check his contract.

• PTB315 says:

That’s the shit I got when I tried to cancel my 1 year contract after 6 months. I paid for 6 months I didnt (not couldn’t) use. When I spoke to the manager I was told I had to go through ABC Financial or something, and he highlighted the part of the contract that said if I moved to a location without a Gold’s within 10 miles, I could cancel. I had to provide two items of proof, such as a change of address document and something from a landlord or deposit on purchased property or something like that.

I was stuck with the $50 a month, and I have no one to blame but myself for it.

17. dg says:

A Judge in a court room I was in once said “Anything worth agreeing to is worth agreeing to in writing.” Oral contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re written on, unless both parties agree to what was said.

THAT said, you’re going to say they said something, they’re going to say they didn’t say that. So what the Judge will have to fall back on is the written contract.

Read the written contract you signed and entered into. That controls.

If you were supposed to be stuck in it for 12 months, and all they’re ripping you off for to let you out of it early is one month – then pay the money, and consider it a cheap lesson learned. “Read what you sign, before you sign. Understand what you sign. You will be held accountable to it.”

Yeah, they probably said one thing and did another – Sales people are all liars. “Oh you want the Moon? No problem. What color? How many? It comes in red and blue and gold. You want silver? Sure I can get that. It takes 6 weeks. You want it in 3? No problem…” 12 weeks later, you’re waiting for your moon, and the factory calls to tell you that it can’t come in silver. And it takes 8 weeks to paint, and 4 weeks to ship and you have to wait because the custom color caused a delay… You call the sales guy, he says “Oh my god, that’s not what should have happened… Let me check into it and see what the deal is…”…..

18. nwgray says:

Gym memberships are notoriously hard to get out of. This isn’t much help for the OP but it’s cheaper to run at the park and work out at home. No contract to sign!

• Peter Nincompoop says:

Indeed, because everyone has room in their homes for every piece of equipment they’d use at a gym and the weather never gets inclement enough to force a person to do cardio indoors.

• Michaela says:

I agree. I don’t have the room to work out in my hone, so I use a gym. It actually works out pretty well. I get access to many machines and weight sets I can’t keep at home, and the membership adds up to less than a dollar a visit in my situation (I visit every day, and the membership is about 350 a year).

I get really tired of people complaining about gym memberships. The DO work for some people. It is just important to find the place with a contract (not just amenities) that meet your needs.

19. Donathius says:

My wife had some pretty serious problems involving a Gold’s Gym contractor that was acting as a personal trainer. Using tips I learned from the Consumerist I managed to get them to admit they were wrong and to cancel the collections account. I just had to threaten legal action and reporting them to several state AGs to get them to do it.

20. skylar.sutton says:

It’s a contract – you really expected them to void it for you? The rep probably meant it would be easy to cancel at the end of your contract term. Welcome to the real world buddy, contracts are legally binding.

• ryoko says:

>> It’s a contract – you really expected them to void it for you?
      Yes, there is a written contract amended with a verbal one. I see no problem that the OP wants the verbal portion adhered to. Unfortunately with little way to prove what was said the OP is stuck.

>>The rep probably meant it would be easy to cancel at the end of your contract term. Welcome to the real world buddy, contracts are legally binding.

Sadly verbal contracts, though in most places are also legally binding, are so difficult to prove that they are near worthless. That is the real world.

>>Why does consumerist keep posting this nonsense… and why does everyone feel entitled to special treatment?

IMHO this is a very good consumerist post. It shows people that verbally amending a contract will not always work out in the end. I personally do not agree with the OP in signing a contract when he knew he could not fulfill the entire term (would be different if extenuating or unplanned circumstances came into play). Still sales people do make agreements to make the deal, and then conveniently forget that they did that. This is a young consumerist who has learned now that everything needs to be in writing. I hope others learn from it as well.

21. evnmorlo says:

What happens if you don’t pay? Collections? If so it can’t be that hard to come up with a way for them to kick you out. Unless the contract says you still have to pay even if they have a restraining order…

22. travel_nut says:

I’m far more concerned about the fact that a college student with at least 1 year of college under his belt still uses poor grammar such as:

“…my mom go’s to the…”

Yeah, I’m gonna be the asshole that goes there. But only because he has enough eddjukayshun to know better.

23. sheriadoc says:

My boyfriend was a member of a large gym chain in Boston and told them he was moving. All they wanted was a piece of mail with his new out-of-state address on it in order to void the contract. And, well, he really wasn’t moving out-of-state (just to an apartment complex in Boston that had its own gym) but was able to have his mom send a bank statement with his name on it. Contract voided.

24. short_texas says:

I had a similar situation but fortunately it worked out well. You should read your contract. A few years ago I had a membership with Bally Total Fitness when I lived in Texas. I was planning to move for school before my contract was set to end, if I ended the contract early I would owe Bally money, I’m not sure of the exact terms as it was a few years ago. So I read through the contract and noticed a clause stating that I could cancel my membership if I was moving to a town that was more than a certain # of miles from a Bally Fitness location. So I looked to see if there was a location near the school I would be attending and there was, so I checked to see if there was a location near my parents home in Alabama and there wasn’t. The contract said I could use a credit card billing statement as proof of not living so many miles from a Bally Total Fitness.

So I changed the mailing address for my credit card statements to my parents address, since I pay my credit card online anyway. I wrote a letter to the Bally corporate office quoting the clause in the contract and a copy of my credit card statement. I got a letter from Bally a few weeks later stating my contract was canceled and I didn’t owe them any money.

25. Destra says:

While oral amendments to a contract can stand up in court, it’s unlikely that you’re going to get anything back from the company itself. And with the small fee of $25 a month, it’d be more money efficient to just ride out the last of the contract than taking them to court.

The best avenue to you would be to contact Gold’s corporation and complain and lodge a formal complaint against the two ladies who dealt with your contract. And make sure that you go over your existing contract to make sure that there’s no moving clause in it. If you don’t have a copy, press your gym to produce the copy you signed.

In the future, get everything in writing. I’ve penned in amendments onto the gym contracts that I signed. Anything from clearing up certain language to putting moving amendments into it. Make sure that you and the gym rep initials everything that you write in, though, and keep copies of anything you sign.

26. spunkmonkey says:

I had the same problem. They billed my credit card every month even though I sent them copies of my new bills to my new address which was only about 1000 miles from their nearest facility. I cancelled my credit card and had a new one issued. When they called about not being able to charge me I just informed them they would not be getting my new card number and I was holding them to the agreement. Problem solved.

27. UnicornMaster says:

Why are gyms so shady? LA Fitness wanted 30 days notice to cancel (or they would charge another month) as if I was renting a home from them. I hate the way people run gyms. Luckily the one I am at now is much less onerous.

28. XTREME TOW says:

John, GROW UP! You signed a contract with the intent of NOT fulfilling it?
    Hey folks! Who’s scamming whom here?

• MickyTrain says:

Ok that’s not it, you have it totally wrong. I got an e-mail from Gold’s Gym saying that they had a great deal for me 25 dollars a month gym membership, so I went in to talk to somebody about it as I was home for the Summer and wanted a gym membership. The lady just started saying oh your going to go back to school in August? Then this deal will work for you since the contract says that when you move away you can cancel.

I mean if the lady had just offered me another contract say 35 dollars a month I would have taken it, I only took that one cus she made it sound so easy. On the back of the contract it even says if you move away and they don’t have a suitable gold’s gym replacement to the new place i’m moving to that they need to let me cancel which they did not let me.

29. weblamer says:

Exact same thing happened to me. Annoyed at the monthly charge, I had my debit card number changed so they could not bill me. They racked up number they said I owed them for a 5 year membership (I had only signed up for 2) and sent it to a credit company. This ruined my credit, and because of this my credit card decided to jack its rate to 30 percent.

I loathe any sort of contract.

30. KCDebi says:

Years ago, a similar thing happened to me. I joined a women’s only gym when I lived in Dallas and knew that I might be moving. They said that the membership was transferable and showed me an extensive list of clubs across the country I could transfer to if I moved. When I moved to Las Vegas, I looked at the list and saw the nearest club was in Reno – not exactly practical. They threatened to not let me quit, but I was working for a lawyer at the time and she wrote a nice letter for me. I closed the bank account they were drawing funds from, sent the letter saying they better not ding my credit for canceling, and never heard from them again.

31. Suzie says:

I had a similar situation. Gold’s Gym contract, moved far away, had to get out of contract. So I read the fine print on the back of the contract and it said over 25 miles away (which I was) I could cancel.
    So I printed a Google Maps directions from my new home to the gym to show mileage, and my drivers license which showed my new address.
    Contract canceled immediately and had no problems.

32. Slatts says:

The absolute worst-of-the-worst has to be Bally’s Total Fitness (this is also confirmed by a Consumer Reports piece on gyms several months ago). I signed up with them in order to get in shape for boot camp and, similar to the OP, the meat-head salesman assured me that it was easy to cancel if you moved more than 50 miles from a club. So, a couple of days before I shipped out to boot camp, I duly notified them that I was shipping out, and mailed in my membership card and contract.

A few weeks pass while I’m away at boot camp, and they sent the whole thing back, saying that they needed “proof” of my current residence, and that I need to keep paying on my contract (Bally’s forces you to buy a membership for hundreds of $$, for which they extend you credit, and then you pay over time). Well, there was this little war going on, and I didn’t have the time or the means to follow up with these people, so they put a nice little ~$500 “Charge Off” on my credit report, which screwed my when I needed to buy a car 18 or so months later.

I finally got someone on the phone at Bally’s corporate offices, explained that this wasn’t exactly fair treatment for someone who’s serving his country (everyone was caught up in patriotism back then… I’ll bet it’s not like this now), and she agreed to void my contract if I provided a detailed, notarized letter, signed my my commanding officer, listing all of my duty stations and dates of service. Not so easy to get with a war going on, but I got it, faxed it, and of course still had to follow up weeks later with all three credit bureaus to finally get the negative data removed.

Bally’s… only for the stupid or the naive.

33. Fair&Balanced says:

Well since you read the consumerist you are not stupid enough to link it to your debit or checking account.

So just don’t pay the bills anymore or change your credit card number and do chargebacks on the illegal charges.

If they take you to collections, then mail them a letter explaining what the 1st lady told you with a copy of your schedule and proof of out of state address. The debt collectors will leave you alone. If it somehow shows up on your credit (which it should not since there is no way you would give them your SS# for a gym membership) then write the credit bureaus and they will remove the negative BS from the gym.

Problem solved.

34. Fair&Balanced says:

Who is stupid enough to sign a contract for a gym???

If you go into any gym and tell them you want the normal price with no contract they will eventually give in.
    I have lived in several state and they will take your money over forcing you sign a contract every time. (it might require you walking out and calling back later)

35. Memtex784 says:

Back in the old college days when I was searching for apartments. I found a really nice landlord to give me month to month lease and specified in the contract. So before you sign a contract READ the fine print to protect yourself. If you don’t see what you want, simply don’t sign.

36. Mr. Pottersquash says:

the thing is you told them you were just going to school, not truly moving. Suspending the contract is the right move. I got out of mine with ye ole “have your mom transfer a bill in your name for a month” trick. Told gym i was moving for good and im out.

37. Mr. Pottersquash says:

your not getting any money you already payed. You paid for the privilege of going, which is what your recieved. To give you money back would mean they should give prorated discounts to anyone who goes on a vacation out of town.

38. Zclyh3 says:

Maybe next time I should walk in with a concealed camera to catch them on tape when they make these promises. Then take it to court if they renege. These days you can’t take anybody’s word for shit. Always get it on paper.

39. jijibeans says:

I work for a chain of gyms in the mid-atlantic (not Gold’s), and for members under contract who have proof a move, it’s a $25 cancellation fee with 30 days notice. Our members are usually very understanding about the fee (and it certainly beats lying about it up front). I’ve heard horror stories about Gold’s and Bally’s when it comes to cancellation. I once heard about someone going into the Peace Corps who had proof of being sent to another country and Bally’s still wouldn’t honor the cancellation. Makes all of us in the health club industry look like douches.

40. Steamboat says:

I have a couple suggestions:
    1. Gold’s Gym is a national chain. Is there one near your school where you can have the membership transferred?
    2. Doctors’ notes are one of the few outs left. Some doctors are very sympathetic to patients trapped in slimy gym membership contracts. See if your physician is comfortable writing a note.
    3. If the amount is being billed to your credit card, cancel the card. If it’s debited from your checking account, close it and move your money. The gym may decide it’s not worth it to come after you for the money.
    4. In the future, the pps are right: if the employee tells you one thing, but the written contract says otherwise, the law always sides with whatever’s in writing. ALWAYS read contracts before signing.

41. Bridizzle says:

Not that I’m a fan of Golds, (or any gym, proven by my round shape) but OP signed a contract he had NO INTENTION of living up to and because he cant get HIS WAY it’s Golds fault? I’m sure the pricing on the 12 month contract is better because you commit to a longer contract.

Just seems a little whiny to me.

42. coren says:

The contract probably says that if you move 10 miles or more from any gym location (or something to that effect) you can cancel. Fine tooth comb that sucker.

There is evidence in your favor – they did “suspend” your contract – did you get that in writing? Because them charging you now, after you contract would have ended, would look fishy

43. slcab0228 says:

Trust me, it will be a miracle if you get out of it. After I got into a car accident, I offered to pay half of the rest of my two year commitment so I could get out of my contract and the manager said: “If we let you out of your contract then how will I be able to put food on my plate?” I still have several months to go, and my boyfriend has been wonderful by paying for it for me. I tried to sell my contract to someone else (through word of mouth and craig’s list) and no one would take it. What I learned from this is that anything said to you that isn’t stated in your paperwork is not to be trusted, oh and read the fine print ALWAYS (I didn’t take my common sense with me the day I signed up for the membership)

44. slcab0228 says:

45. Sol Collins says:

The thing I can’t stand about everyone saying how it is the OP’s fault is this:
    If the provider can change the contract at any time without notice and without purchaser’s approval, then the purchaser should be able to do the same.
    If the provider can renig on the contract they provided w/o reprisal and w/o warning, than the purchaser should be granted that power as well.

46. doofus666 says:

Why does anyone get gym memberships? All I ever read about is bad things. Was there no YMCA? They have income based plans and enough branches throughout the country that if you move you can still have a gym. (Not all Y’s allow this but they are generally good at letting you out of the old Y membership to start a new one) Finally this brings up the last thing. You are in school. Most schools have gyms students can use free. My sister is about to start in college, wanted a gym membership. I told her she was stupid. Pulled up the webpage for her school and showed the huge gym they get for free. I went to college in the 90’s in a podunk town and we had a free gym,indoor track, pool, everything