Barbie Can Now Spy On Your Enemies For You

Yesterday we talked about Bratz, so it’s only fair that we give Barbie some space today. Especially this Barbie, the Video Girl Doll. While this piece of plastic looks like any other Barbie doll, it harbors a secret: a hidden camera in a pendant around her neck, which can record up to 30 minutes of video.

Mattel gushes over the spy-doll:

Budding filmmakers, take note: Barbie® doll now doubles as a video camera! Girls can record and play back clips with this multi-tasking doll, which has a video camera built right in. Capture everything from a doll’s-eye-view, then watch it instantly or upload to your computer. There’s an LCD screen on Barbie® doll’s back, and a camera lens hidden discreetly in her necklace. Talk about making movies in style!

Unfortunately, as currently configured, you have to manually start and stop recordings, limiting the doll’s utility for actual spying. But we’re confident some hacker is already working on a motion-detection hack that will turn this girl into La Femme Nikita in no time.

Barbie® Video Girl™ Doll [Shop.Mattel.com via NYT]

Comments

1. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Pedobear works for Mattel?

2. framitz says:

The photo is not an xray, it is a cutaway image with colors reversed like a negative image. It actually looks MUCH better if you reverse it back to normal.

3. dcfix says:

As a dad, I think that this is a HORRIBLE idea.

• Benny Gesserit says:

As a non-dad, I’m right there with you. I felt the “creepy child stalker” vibe of this thing 3 websites over. (Shudder)

• s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

As a non-dad, non-male who dislikes children strongly, I’m STILL with you. I think Barbies tend to be pretty bad ideas in the first place (talk about instilling ridiculous and standardized views of beauty), but this just takes the cake.

But then, a lot of parents are into getting their kids the latest in child-oriented technology that they have absolutely no use for. This is probably going to sell really well, sadly.

4. Narmical says:

Best anti child rape device EVER!

5. mrsam says:

Things you don’t want to know: where you plug in the “upload” cable.

• Ziggie says:

I think that’s what Techcrunch called the “Tramp Stamp” on this Barbie… The product designers must have been out to lunch on this one… I can’t even imagine the discussions where people were proposing this product and thinking it was a great idea.

• Red Cat Linux says:

Actually, that’s the first thing I thought too. Will there be a micro USB port on Barbie somewhere? Or a cable that dangles out of her from her ribcage like a USB colostomy tube? Even more disturbing, maybe you pop off her head and there is a USB male plug under there.

I don’t know why my brain went there. It just did.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

it’s actually really hard to get barbie’s head off to keep it from being a choking hazard. i usually have to use pliers and wire cutters.

6. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Just in time for The Sixth Sense 2.

But seriously, does it show you the world through Barbies eyes and make everything pink and happy? Does it blur out math problems because they are hard?

7. piscesdreamer222 says:

Seriously, this is the worst idea for a doll yet. Creepy is only the beginning!

8. evilpete says:

As a dad I would like to send my kid to school with the camera on to spy on the teachers.

• BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Ooh—That’s a good one. Teachers can be abusive with power…be cool to catch it in action.

9. evilpete says:

As a pervert I would want to send someone into the cheerleader locker room with one..

10. XTREME TOW says:

I wonder, how many unmarried 30-something males will be lining up at Target to buy these?

11. Lnc says:

It’s the perfect “mean girl” tool– secretly videotape your victim telling you who she “likes” or something else embarrassing, then post it on Facebook, or email it around, and all the other girls will live in fear of crossing you. Of course, it only works or younger mean girls, because at some point, having a Barbie becomes more embarrassing than anything you could film with it.
    Definitely a creepy toy.

12. rahntwo says:

Great- the Barbie doll can video the Bratz dolls doing their Dolls Gone Wild thing and then post it on the web for all you pervs to enjoy.

13. Michael Belisle says:

I’m a bit unnerved by the fact that the camera appears to be recessed into her chest, like she’s some sort of Tony Stark cyborg.

• cash_da_pibble says:

it seems to be properly placed, to be disguised as a pendant on a necklace.
      I would be a bit creeped out if it were nested in her bosom-then you’d have to take off Barbie’s top to use her camera.

14. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

There will be so many levels of wrong committed with this camera I can’t even begin to imagine them all.

On another note, I wonder where the USB connector plugs in?

15. Mike says:

I have a hard time conceiving of any way this doll will produce anything good. I have terrible visions of youtube videos showing all kinds of perverse things, from girls bullying each other, to pedos tricking girls. This thing is doomed from the beginning, so much so that I am considering buying one just as a collector’s item. I really wonder how long it will last before someone finds a way to sue Mattel.

16. jellyfish says:

Law & Order could so make a good episode out of this.

17. dg says:

Sounds like a pedophile’s wet dream… What kid would suspect a “barbie” doll as a recording device?

And on the flip-side, it sounds like an anti-pedophile’s wet dream – what pedophile would suspect a barbie doll as a recording device…

Then again, the only thing worse than this concept would be a “Chucky Video Doll”…

18. NewsMuncher says:

Wow. Why do so many minds immediately go into the gutter?

I used to wonder what it was like to see the world from a different point of view. I would have loved to play with a doll and then watch how it looked from her/its perspective. Especially inside a doll house, after arranging the furniture. It would be a great way to inspire a future computer animator or director.

I would get this for my daughter, since I also wouldn’t let an creeps around her anyway. Sheesh, people. What do you imagine a girl doing with a doll, anyway? The worst I ever did with one was take a knife to it to see how the pieces fit together.

• Pinkbox says:

I agree that it could have it’s good moments, but I also know how I was as a little girl. I would have put it in the bathroom immediately to spy on my little sister, and probably would have showed all of my friends.

I was a mean big sister. -_-

19. constantia says:

He killed me with a sword, Mal.

20. RogueWarrior65 says:

Having worked there some 15+ years ago, I can honestly say that this isn’t the dumbest idea they ever had. The dumbest was sh*tcanning the NBC group (New Business Concepts). Now they hardly ever come up with a cool toy and when they do, it winds up in a dumpster. They had a nifty line of Nerf-style weaponry that was really cool but political-correctness killed the entire line. Their second dumbest idea was promoting Jill Barad to CEO. Their third dumbest was letting her buy The Learning Company and then never doing anything with it. How this company survives is beyond me. They don’t make toys. They make internal politics.

21. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Flash demo here for all you pervs who want to know where the USB port is.