Watch Out For Amazon Scam Making The Rounds

The BBB says people are reporting seeing a new phishing scam going around that masquerades as an Amazon order alert. It arrives as a confirmation email with a product description, price, and Amazon logo. Naturally, if you click the provided account link to cancel the order or see whether you were actually charged for the item, the login screen you’ll be taken to won’t be Amazon.

“Consumers Warned About Amazon.com Scam” [Consumer Affairs via Los Angeles Times]

Comments

1. DeltaTee says:

This is one of the reasons that I really like having my own domain. If the email isn’t going to amazon@pl… then I know it’s not the real thing. (I even get the paypal scam at bidpay-payments@pl… That’s a trip.)

• kc2idf says:

Yep, I caught this, too, and for the same reason.

Another giveaway is that Amazon will actually list the items purchased in the email, rather than providing a link to click to see the list of things bought.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I guess this sort of email is aimed at people with amazon accounts who don’t order very often? I have like three *real* pending amazon orders right now… yay for their pre-order guarantee. XD

2. raevenfeather says:

From my experience, this scam is not only failing to hit the email address I use for amazon about 80% of the time, but they also fail at math. Almost all of the emails I’ve opened up just out of curiosity have shown totals that don’t add up correctly: usually a single item order where the item is one price but the total is either much higher or much lower than that price.

So, guess we should be thankful they’re giving us obvious clues?

• GirlCat says:

I always promise myself that if I ever decide to run an email scam, I’ll proofread it, check the spelling of any names and run the math. C’mon, scammers, put a little effort into separating me from my identity/money. Show some pride in your work!

3. nagumi says:

Yep, I got this the other day (I noticed it while cleaning out my gmail spam folder).

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Dang. I’d been neglecting my spam folder on Gmail lately … but all I have in there are “OMG MAN SIZE” and “CHEAP DRUGZ” spams. My spam box is totally unhip and way behind the times.

4. thetango says:

FYI: Amazon, like many other large companies, have a web-reporting tool that can be used to report phishing attempts such as this one.

P.

• DanKelley98 says:

Isn’t reporting the scam to Amazon about as effective as reporting a business to the BBB?

5. HogwartsProfessor says:

I know when it’s not real because I only get Amazon mail to my personal box, not my work box where this showed up the other day. Also, thanks to Consumerist and other sources, I know better than to click on the link. If something looks the slightest bit suspicious, it gets blasted.

I’m sure I’ve deleted legitimate emails thinking they were spammy/scammy, but better safe than sorry.

6. Dallas_shopper says:

Haven’t received this bit of spam (yet) but thanks for the heads-up.

7. mopar_man says:

Just like every other phishing scam like this, just log into your account (go directly to the site, NOT by clicking the links through the e-mail) and you’ll figure it out pretty quickly.

8. Taliskan says:

An Amazon fake receipt phish has been around for a while now and has tricked several of my clients. Not sure if you ordered something? Log into your account. Or check out the URLs of what you click :P

9. ycnhgm says:

Don’t people hesitate and think first when they get e-mail like this? Hover your mouse over any of the links in that e-mail and you’ll notice that they send you to some Russian site.

10. katelin_cruse says:

I’m not gullible enough to fall for a phishing scam, and yet I have a mysterious Amazon.com charge showing up on my debit card. Thanks, Amazon, for sharing my information with internet tools. :( I hope the hackers enjoy the $1 ‘test’ debit they received.

11. mewyn dyner says:

I’ve noticed a similar one with WoW about purchased mounts, where it says you need to confirm your mount purchase.

I get inundated with 20 or so fake WoW emails a day from scammers. WoW accounts are in huge demand right now it seems.

12. Ed Greenberg says:

I got about one day worth of these on both my email accounts, then Postini caught up and started blocking them.

Since I hadn’t ordered anything, I was suspicious, and when I hovered over one of the links in Thunderbird, it became obvious that it was a phishing email.

13. badb! says:

Whenever I get a weird billing email, I just go to Amazon or whoever and check my account for activity. Done and done.

14. evilpete says:

Ummm, old news.

I’ve been getting those for years