No, Amazon, I Will Not Pay For Repairs To My Defective Kindle

Michael tells Consumerist that he’s disappointed in his Amazon Kindle, but really disappointed in Amazon and their lack of support for his problems with the device. The company admitted that his Kindle malfunctioned because of a product defect…but want Michael to pay the $89 fee for having his Kindle serviced out of warranty anyway. He’s not really interested, since he could buy a new Kindle for almost twice that.

I just wanted to write in to say that I am somewhat surprised by the positive feedback I see on your site re: Amazon Kindle’s customer support. I have had the 2nd generation Kindle since it became available in late February 2009 and still cost $359 (I believe it is now $189). For the most part, it worked well for the 17 or so months that I had it. But the screen started freezing recently, and completely froze last night. I was sorely disappointed by the response I received from the Kindle support team.

I was told that the screen was defective – obviously outside my control – and that I would need to send in my Kindle for service. I was also told that since I am outside my 1-year warranty, I would be responsible for the fee of $89, almost half of what they are now charging for a brand new Kindle, for having it serviced. I would think that since the product is defective – the word used by their customer service contact – that they might offer to fix it at no cost. Or am I completely delusional? When I suggested it might be time for me to move on to a different device, I was reminded that I could access the Kindle app on several other products. That response made me think that they don’t really stand by their product, and that it might therefore be somewhat futile to have my Kindle fixed anyway. Would I be asked to pay a fee again in 6, 12 or 18 months when the ‘defective’ product breaks down again?

I am the publicity director for an imprint at a large publishing house, and have been in the industry for about 15 years. Although I prefer reading physical books, I love being able to download submissions and manuscripts to an electronic device. But I also love customer loyalty and a company’s willingness to fix a faulty product that doesn’t require me to dig deeper into my pocket. I guess I will not be getting my Kindle fixed, nor will I purchase books from Amazon, electronic or otherwise.

He could try escalating matters to Amazon’s executive customer service team at ecr@amazon.com, but if that proves fruitless, what should Michael do?

Comments

1. Admiral_John says:

So his Kindle broke outside of the warranty and he’s ticket that Amazon is refusing to fix it for free?

Kind of having a hard time seeing where Amazon is at fault.

• Admiral_John says:

I hit Submit instead of Preview.. let me post that again:

When I read the header of the article I thought maybe Amazon had admitted a flaw with the Kindle but wouldn’t fix it but that doesn’t appear to be the case at all; He has a Kindle that’s out of warranty, it broke, and he wants Amazon to fix it for free.

Kind of having a hard time seeing where Amazon is doing anything wrong here.

• nbs2 says:

I suspect that he is misunderstanding the reason for warranties – a limited timeperiod to identify and rectify manufacturing defects. Nevertheless, I can understand the frustration of having a device fail because of a purely manufacturing defect and then being told I am responsible for the cost of repair (in the same way that Amazon would not be pleased if I asked them to pay to fix something I did to my machine during the warranty period).

As for Michael – how about your CC? My MC requires me to obtain a service quote and submit that, a claim form, and a copy of the receipt showing the purchase was fully made with that MC, and they will cut me a check for the repair/replacement (MC will choose which to do).

• infected says:

Again.. as was brought up with the Logitech remote a few weeks ago:

The more Consumerist posts about shit like this, the more people will think it’s okay. It’s NOT okay to expect them to dole out free support after the warranty is expired. The warranty is EXPIRED. You should have purchased an extended warranty if you wanted more than the standard.

• jurupa says:

I also wish Consumerist also stop feeding into todays entitlement mindset, as they are only making things worse by doing this.

• skylar.sutton says:

I concur. I feel bad for him (really, I do)… but the warranty period is what it is and was posted clearly prior to his purchase. If he had a bad feeling about a 12 month warranty period he should have walked away.

This complaint is the same as me writing the following letter: “Dear Consumerist… I’m annoyed that my car (2003 model year) burnt up it’s clutch… they should give me a new one for free and stand by their product!”

• sableenees says:

Hate to add to the chorus, but yeah, this is just over-entitled bull. I went and checked Amazon, yep, one-year warranty. The warranty is a contract that obligates not only the seller, but the buyer as well.

• cosby says:

Yea I really don’t see an issue here. It broke 5 months after the warranty expired. Hell at least amazon has a policy to get it refurbed(chances are they just send a replacement out) cheaper then getting a new one.

Also I have purchased two kindle 2’s. One was for my mom and the other was for me. I got multiple emails about buying an extended warranty for both of them. When we registered my mothers on her amazon account they also sent her emails for the warranty. She ended up buying it for hers thinking she would manage to kill it at the beach or something. I didn’t for mine. If it dies after the warranty is up I’ll send it in for the refurb or buy a newer model. Simple as that.

Another thing that gets me is the time. It would be one thing where you have someone with a device just out of warranty. IE it dies a week or so after the warranty is over.

2. snarkysniff says:

This is stupid, it doesnt matter if its a product defect or accidental damage. ITS OUT OF WARRANTY. Why do people always believe that companies should fix things even when they are out of warranty, free of charge?

• SabreDC says:

Agreed. If a company chooses not to stand behind their products, that’s their choice. Likewise, if the OP wants to take his business elsewhere, that’s his choice as well. But companies are not required to even provide a warranty. It’s a show of goodwill to say “Hey, we know some manufactured devices may not work as planned so we’re going to give you the ability to return the item with X days if you find a defect.”

It does not, by any standard, mean that the company is on the hook for standing behind the product forever.

• Shadowfax says:

Actually, companies are not only required to provide a warranty, but they do automatically through the implied warranty of merchantability, which says that unless the company specifically disclaims it (by selling it “as is”) the product must be suitable to the purpose for which it is intended. If they shipped a product with a defective screen as the OP claims they admitted to having done, he may be able to revoke the sale under the warranty of merchantability and force them to refund his money.

• rushevents says:

Methinks you read too much into that law which was designed to stop people from intentionally selling substandard items.

The Kindle is a lot of things but wholly substandard is not one of them.

3. dragonfire81 says:

I’ve seen console makers do similar things. A firmware update screwed up my friend’s older PS3 and Sony wanted to charge like $100 to repair it because it was out of warranty.

• Southern says:

That’s a completely different scenario, though – if my PS3 broke because Sony applied a patch to it (totally WITHIN their control and OUTSIDE mine) I’d be screaming at them to fix it at no charge also.

Would be like taking your car to the dealer to have the oil changed and they break something in the process, then telling you, “Oh, sorry, we broke your while changing your oil, you’ll have to pay $100 to have that fixed”..

I think not. :)

• dragonfire81 says:

You are correct, but that’s exactly how Sony was and not just to my friend, they’ve tried to charge dozens of other gamers in the same situation. Also, Sony won’t do crap for you if you don’t have your original receipt (even if you are under warranty), regardless of how the system got broken.

• adamstew says:

I’d have just filed a small claims case against them for the cost I paid of the PS3 that they broke, plus any taxes, court costs, and a day of my time to take off work to pursue the case against them…All told probably around $500-$1000, depending on how much you paid for your PS3, how much your time at work is worth, and court costs where you are.

I’m pretty sure that you’ll have a settlement check from Sony for the full amount in a few weeks.

• ShruggingGalt says:

You may get a letter from them *offering* to settle but you won’t just get a check within a few weeks. They’ll probably require some kind of gag order where you don’t go telling people or Consumerist.com that they paid you.

• UnbelieverDjak says:

My local VW dealer tried to do just that. Went in for routine maintenance, and when we got back in the car, the seat lever wouldn’t lock in (over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion that all mechanics are at least 6’4″). I had to go get the manager to get them to take care of something that ended up being a very simple fix.

4. DanRydell says:

He’s completely delusional (he asked, I answered). If they’re going to cover any defective product ever, why would there be any time limit on the warranty? Warranties exist only to cover manufacturing defects. They cover manufacturing defects for the life of the warranty. Why is this so hard to understand? Why does everyone expect an exception on THEIR out of warranty repair?

• DanRydell says:

The only case in which I would fault a company for refusing to cover an out of warranty repair is if it is a widespread defect caused by a known design flaw. Usually companies make exceptions for those if the issue gets enough attention from the media, or after a class-action lawsuit is filed.

5. Skellbasher says:

The screen is ‘defective’ because it doesn’t work. I see nothing in the exchange that implies the screen suffered from a manufacturer’s defect, or other product issues.

You have a broken screen outside of the warranty period. Amazon is not obligated to fix it for free.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

This was exactly what I was going to say. Defective means it’s broken or otherwise incapable of functioning as it is supposed to – it definitely doesn’t imply it was a manufacturer’s defect.

6. Devil505 says:

Check your credit card company for their purchase protection policy. I know my MasterCard doubles any product warranty up to 1 year on any purchase made with it.

7. RickinStHelen says:

If it was a product defect, than is it any different than an auto company repairing a car on recall? If it had just worn out, or had been from use that is one thing, but it seems the OP pointed out that Amazon admitted it was a product defect. So are folks saying that if a company manufactures a defective product, the owner is screwed once the warranty is up?

• trellis23 says:

He did not say that Amazon said it was a product defect, they said HIS screen is defective. Recalls on autos happen when it is a widespread issue, especially one that is a safety concern. But if you have an individual issue with your tie rod or your brake pads or even your engine (once it’s out of warranty), guess what, your auto company isn’t fixing your car free of charge either.

• apd09 says:

I was going to say the same thing, I just had a voluntary warranty recall on my car because of a defect that was not happening to everyone. Since the car was still under warranty they fixed it, but if I had waited 2 weeks it would not have been covered anymore and I would have had to pay.

• Thyme for an edit button says:

Well, they should in the case of a manufacturing defect even if only your car has the defect. Such a defect does not have to be widespread in the population. The point is that it was defective the moment it left the factory and came to you. You don’t have to be in warranty for to get repair on something that was defective from the get-go.

If things just wear out, that’s different. I wouldn’t expect something like that to be covered outside of warranty.

• sirwired says:

For items on the car that eventually break, but not from wear and tear, no, they don’t fix them for free, nor should you expect them to (although they sometimes do.)

Lets say the stereo on your car gives out. Solid-state radios don’t “wear out” at all (at least, not during the reasonable lifetime of a car.) If the circuits ever break, it’s because of a manufacturing defect. But good luck getting the dealer to replace the stereo for free once the warranty expires.

Wear and tear may be covered for less time (my VW came with a 12-month wear-and-tear item warranty) but that doesn’t mean the warranty for defects is magically forever.

• Thyme for an edit button says:

If they refused to fix a manufacturing defect, I would have to decide for myself if it was worth paying for it to be replaced or filing a claim for strict products liability in court.

The filing fees for small claims are pretty low…

• sirwired says:

His Kindle didn’t catch on fire; it simply broke, so the analogy to a recall is not valid. Cars have a limited warranty too, and they make you pay to fix it after that warranty expires.

8. trellis23 says:

Yes, he is delusional. His kindle is almost 6 months OUT of warranty. AND he had the option of buying an extended warranty when he purchased it, but he clearly chose not to. What other company would even offer what Amazon is offering this far out of warranty. Most won’t even offer a thing a day out of warranty, and many even try to avoid you until the day after your warranty. Not to mention, the validity of his statements is questionable, since as far as I know, Amazon doesn’t fix Kindles, they replace them for that fee. But still, more than half off, that far out of warranty, seems to me, that’s outstanding service, and Michael is just a self-entitled, over-privileged brat. I really wish you hadn’t actually suggested he contact ECS.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Interestingly enough, the cost of the extended warranty at the time it was priced at $360 is about half of the cost of a brand new Series 2 of the same kind (about $100) today. He’s in better shape just paying for the repair than originally getting the extended warranty.

• craptastico says:

extended warranties are one of the biggestsucker deals in retail. something like 80% of what you’re paying usually goes right to the salesman as commission.

• DanRydell says:

Ummmm…. no. That is entirely illogical. Why would a store give the salesman 80% of the retail price? That leaves the store with only 20% to split with the company that actually handles the warranty. They could drop the cost by 60% and still give the salesman a 50% commission, and it would be a much more attractive purchase for consumers.

• rushevents says:

That was true back in the day – I used to get 50% of the extended warranty. These days, thanks to Best Buy the salesman is paid by the hour and that’s it.

On the other hand, extended warranties are about 50% cheaper than they were in 1995. (Yes even today!)

9. MauraGrowf says:

Funny, I’ve never had a problem like that with any of my books, and I’m guessing most of those are waaaaay out of warranty.

• drizzt380 says:

You’ve never had the binding on a book fail? Ever? Either you don’t read enough books, or you only read books once and set them on a shelf forever. I suggest a library.

• syzygy says:

Thanks, I needed a “proud to be a Luddite” to complete my “Useless Off-Topic Comment” BINGO card.

10. nightshade74 says:

Did you use a credit card? You likely have an extended warranty through them…

Mastercard
    Visa
    Amex
    Amex Plug

11. IThinkThereforeIAm says:

Although I have to agree with most of the commenters (the device *is* out of warranty), I still have a problem with the general concept of warranty: why “is” there a time limit on covering manufacturing defects? If it is a manufacturing defect (I am not talking about dropping your device or dunking it in the bathtub), why can’t the manufacturer just accept the fact that they scr**d up and fix it?

• Dover says:

Because stuff goes bad. It sucks for OP that his went bad before most (maybe even before the designed lifespan), but the device was not meant to last forever.

• selianth says:

Because this is a miscommunication. This is not a “manufacturing defect,” something that went wrong during the manufacturing process. The screen is “defective” only because it doesn’t work anymore.

• DeepCrow says:

Because they need to mitigate risk. If, as a company, I had to warranty everything forever, I’d have to charge an obscene amount. Eventually everything is going to fail because of a manufacturing defect: unless you’re selling solid bricks of lead, something will eventually go wrong with the device. On a computer, a hard drive will eventually fail. The only defect is that it wasn’t designed to last forever (if that was even possible).

• DanRydell says:

It’s generally impossible or impractical to determine whether something was defective from the get-go but still functional, or whether something damaged it after manufacturing. So they basically cover anything that happens in the first year unless there’s obvious physical damage. Usually if something is defective when it’s manufactured, it will stop functioning relatively quickly.

On the other hand you have design flaws which cause items to die more quickly than they should. The Xbox 360 is a good example – they often die outside of the regular warranty period, but it’s caused by a design defect. In that case, Microsoft eventually extended the warranty to 3 years for that specific defect.

I had a Sony DVD player that died after 14 months (this was in the early 2000s, and my DVD player cost $300). I googled the error message and found that about a half dozen models of Sony DVD players often had the same issue I had after 18-24 months. They basically wore out after a certain amount of usage because of a design defect. I found instructions for how to fix it, you just had to replace a resistor on the circuit board with a different one. Sony didn’t extend my warranty. :(

12. TheAssociation says:

It sounds like he is making an assumption that there is a true manufacturing defect, in other words, the defect was there since the unit was built.

I disagree.

To me, this sounds like another example of an electronic device breaking after a period of time…like every other manufactured product in existence from cars to Kindles.

Also, keep in mind that the word “defect” is thrown around as much as “broken” in customer service. True, they may be different words entirely, but you cannot assume that because a person calls your product “defective” instead of “broken” you are entitled to a free Kindle.

13. Anathema777 says:

Amazon didn’t say the product was defective. They said HIS product was defective. That’s a big difference.

His screen is defective = he has an older product that broke
    The product line is defective = there is a known problem with Kindle screens

14. Link_Shinigami says:

“de·fec·tive   [dih-fek-tiv] Show IPA
    –adjective
    having a defect or flaw; faulty; imperfect: a defective machine.” from dictionary.com. Defective means faulty. They said it was defective. They admit it was there fault. Therefore, screw the warranty they are going to cover their defective product.

Learn what the word means before saying he’s SoL. People that cite other products out of warranty guess what, they aren’t defective, they simply wore out. If you get a rep to say it was defective, guess what, they are liable now.

• Dover says:

We don’t know that an Amazon rep actually said that word, that’s just the word subby used.

• Anathema777 says:

“I would think that since the product is defective – the word used by their customer service contact – that they might offer to fix it at no cost. “

It just seems that the OP isn’t clear on what they meant when they said his screen was defective.

• TheAssociation says:

I actually posted something similar, but I am waiting for it to get approved by the mods.

I think the opposite is true. Although, yes, defective and broken are two different words, they can be used in place of each other without much thought. Before you go any further, think of how many times you have exchanged the two words. I know I have plenty of times.

Also, I would be interested to see about liability here. I don’t think that spoken word by a peon Amazon rep would supersceed a written warranty by a comically over-priced team of lawyers.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

You’re totally confusing the definition of “faulty” and “fault” – the device is faulty, but Amazon is not at fault. For Amazon to be at fault meant that they caused the damage, or otherwise were negligent in preventing it through lack of quality control (i.e. manufacturer’s defect). An Amazon rep saying, “yes, the Kindle is defective” doesn’t mean the rep is saying, “We are responsible for your Kindle breaking.”

The Kindle screen used to work. Now it doesn’t. That’s a flaw, a fault in the machinery. But it’s not a manufacturer’s defect.

• sirwired says:

Yes. It’s defective. It has a flaw that makes it not currently perform its intended function. It MAY even be a flaw that was introduced at the factory. Just because it’s defective does not mean the manufacturer is obligated to pay for it outside of warranty.

The warranty explicitly covers only defects that manifest themselves in the first year. After that point, you are on your own. It doesn’t matter whose fault the problems are after that point. Most (if not all) consumer products have a limited-time warranty.

You seem to be saying that the warranty should only be limited to “breakage” and should cover defects forever. It doesn’t. Warranties don’t work that way. Defects are often covered longer than wear-and-tear, but both kinds of damage are usually warranted for a limited time.

• jason in boston says:

mmmmm…IPA

• rushevents says:

“If you get a rep to say it was defective, guess what, they are liable now.”

That’s right up there with “You have 3 days to return your car – it’s the law.” – Nope
      “Your boss is required by law to give 2 15 minute breaks along with your lunch when you work 8 hours” – Nope

“Guess what, they are liable now” – again, Nope.

15. piscesdreamer222 says:

Unfortunately I don’t really think Michael here has a case. Unfortunately it’s just a sign of the times. Most products are designed to only work for a few years before they break, gone are the days a product was made to last.

This has happened to me several times in the last few years. My 50″ flatscreen broke after 8 months, my Xbox after 18 months, my Zune after 6 months, and all were JUST out of warranty when they went out. I learned the hard way to purchase an EXTENDED WARRANTY for every significant purchase I make.

The only recourse Michael has now would be to find out exactly what the flaw is and see if anyone else is having the same issue around the same time after purchase. Perhaps a red-ring-of-death style class action lawsuit could be made that the Kindle has a known defect they are obviously trying to avoid fixing. But I seriously doubt that is the issue here.

16. Ck1 says:

Defective means that its not working correctly or up to specs. if your tire has a slow leak due to a nail, the tire is defective because its not working to specs. it has nothing to do with how it was made. don’t see any valid argument for wanting the item repaired for free.

17. Smashville says:

Why should you be entitled to a free out-of-warranty repair?

18. davebg5 says:

Assuming you paid with a credit card, you should check to see if it offers you extended warranty protection. Many cards will extend the manufacturer’s warranty for up to an additional full year.

19. Draygonia says:

Yes, when you escalate it, mention that you have been in the publishing industry for 15 years and that you are a publicity director. You know, because that is relevant and all.

• trellis23 says:

I wonder if his publishing company replaces books free of charge when their bindings or pages get worn from reading so many times….

• sirwired says:

Actually, I did get Wiley to replace a defective book for free. My copy of How To Cook Everything was completely falling apart sooner than I would have expected. I wrote them an e-mail, and they sent me a new one in the mail a couple of days later; I was pretty impressed.

• Smashville says:

Also, mention any degrees if you happen to have them. Those impress people.

20. XianZhuXuande says:

Companies virtually never service their products free of charge, out of warranty, when the problem is due to a manufacturing defect. I suppose people could discuss if that should happen, and whether the increase in product costs that would result is worthwhile, but this customer doesn’t really have grounds to be upset.

Although Amazon, who *is* one of the best customer service companies out there, would almost have been the company I would have expected to make an exception. Not a diss on the company in the slightest.

• XianZhuXuande says:

Never mind! On a re-read he has been told the screen is defective, *not* that the screen is suffering from a manufacturing defect. This is just a jerk who somehow feels he should be special. I’m not sure why Consumerist gave him a soapbox.

Maybe he can jump to another product backed by a company who *does* do free repairs out of policy. Oh, wait… there isn’t one in this industry. Or one you can expect to do this anywhere.

21. sirwired says:

Huh? They don’t mean “defective” as in “manufacturing defect.” They mean “defective” in that “it’s now broke and requires replacement.” All things break eventually.

It has a limited-time warranty. The device has exceeded that warranty. That means it costs money to fix.

Also, the “I’m an important person at a publishing house” comment is just stupid, and is not going to get you on the good side of whomever reads the letter.

22. seanbperiod says:

nice- another entitled person making demands outside the original agreement they signed up for..

Consumerist- stop giving these people credibility by posting it! People who just read your articles and not the comments will think that this is appropriate behavior.

23. semanticantics says:

Am I the only person thinking this guy probably uses his Kindle a lot more than the average Kindle user, since he is “in the industry”? His 18 months could be a normal users 36 months. Would someone 2 years out of warranty think their broken screen is “defective”? No, they’d think it’s broken. He’s grasping at this “defective” claim as the entire basis of his “give me a free repair” like he is a junior lawyer while mentioning it was said by a CSR. I doubt the CSR thinks “defective” means “manufacturing defect with a slow burn of 18 months”.

24. lehrdude says:

Yes, he is probably wrong for expecting Amazon to fix it for free.

However, he is not wrong to vow never to purchase another Kindle again. He also has no reason to remain loyal to Amazon and their products. When a company stands behind what they produce, and promises to make things right even after a Warranty is expired is a company that earns the loyalty of its customers and makes them come back for more in the future.

• syzygy says:

It’s also a company that goes broke sending free equipment out whenever someone feels they’re entitled. Amazon is offering a discount replacement for his unit – they could just force him to buy a new one at retail cost. That’s perfectly acceptable.

25. wafp says:

When did everyone start expecting their broken stuff to be fixed for free if it’s out of warranty? Even a “lifetime” warranty has an ending point – the expected “lifetime” of the product. Planned obsolence and a reasonable replacement period exist so that companies can continue to function, and not be eaten alive by obsolete/out of warranty product replacement/repair claims.

26. MercuryPDX says:

Sounds like he’s already made up his mind to me, so what incentive does Amazon have to help?

27. vastrightwing says:

Still none of my books has ever had any problems except when someone tears out a page now and then. By the way, what are the warranties of books?

28. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Just based on the tone of the post, I get the feeling that the OP might have “bad attituded” his way out of a out-of-warranty repair.

You have no right to an out-of-warranty repair. It’s a courtesy and nothing else. Honestly, there’s a difference between having the right thing done for you and having a sense of entitlement. People should learn the difference.

29. anime_runs_my_life says:

The thing is, it’s past the warranty, things like this happen. If it was in warranty and they were being obstinate, I could understand. If Amazon caves, all the more for him. If not, he’s going to find himself very limited to what he can download since the other e-readers as far as I know are very proprietary.

30. hmmhmm says:

boo hoo. A warranty period is a warranty period. I’ve gone to shops around the world where there no returns no exchanges no warranties. Amazon’s CS is already pretty good.

31. satoru says:

The editors really need to start culling these kinds of posts. They make us sound like whiny entitled kids now. Asking for free repairs for devices that are clearly out of warranty isn’t something we need to be asking ‘advice’ for. Unless you can somehow correlate it to a massive design failure (like the RROD on the X360) sometimes you buy stuff and you roll snake-eyes.

I will say that it’s not ‘normal’ for a device like this to totally bork after only 2 years. Manufacturing tolerances these days pretty much mean that if it lasts through the warranty period it will last almost a lifetime (unless you drop your ipod into a washing machine). The screen isn’t even on a hinge, which is the most vulnerable point for LCD displays on laptops, so it’s even a bit more surprising the screen would spontaneously fail. It would be more likely the buttons would fail before the screen would.

The only thing I see fail on a pretty consistent basis are hard drives, but that’s because they have actual mechanical parts that can fail.

32. satoru says:

I suppose I should point out, that being what is essentially a beta tester for e-ink does entail some risk in the product. e-ink is a new tech and will invariably have fabrication and manufacturing issues that can’t be resolved until it goes out into the field. LCD dead pixes and plasma screen burn-in, were problems with these technologies in their initial deployments. Today they are pretty much non-issues.

This doesn’t mean that we deserve free repairs on devices outside the warranty though. It just means you should understand that risks are inherent with new technologies.

33. masso says:

Isn’t the one year warranty basically a promise that your device will, at the very least, work for one year, and free repair if not. Don’t see much of a case for this person.

34. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

That’s why warranties expire: companies know that certain things will break in their products, and the average time before those items break, so they set their warranties just shy of those times.

35. BettyCrocker says:

Fixing products out of warranty is a great way to keep customers loyal to you and make you want to buy more of your products.

Of course, they don’t have to fix it out of warranty but what is the actual cost to them to fix it or replace it compared to the future loss of business from him.

On top of that, how many people will read his post and think that since Kindle’s products don’t last very long and the company doesn’t stand behind them, they will buy from a competitor instead.

Just how long should a Kindle’s lifespan actually be? IMHO – it should be longer than 17 months.

36. kathygnome says:

The only Kindle defect I’m aware of is that some screens in early kindle 2s were unreadable in high sunlight. Everyone I know who ran into this was given a new device by Amazon without a problem. This is just a broken kindle and some minimum wage CSR probably used the wrong phrase which this person is now trying to turn into a free repair. The Kindle is 18 months old and out of warranty. I don’t see the issue. The only purchase you make with perpetual care is a cemetery plot.

37. parsonsdj1 says:

I agree with the vat bulk of the comments already made – file this one under “Bad Consumer.” I had a kindle defect manifest two weeks before the end of the warranty period, and it was replaced without incident. 15 days later and it would have been my problem, to be fixed on my dime. That is not a difficult concept to understand.

38. parsonsdj1 says:

Further thought. This may well be a publishing company plant here – the utterly unreasonable demand coupled with the unnecessary anti-Amazon rhetoric – traditional publishing media spin generation, perhaps…

39. consumerfan says:

A one year warranty is normally the manufacturer’s warranty. There is sometimes another warranty by the retailer which can be one year (not one additional year) or longer.

Amazon ARE standing by their product…. for one year. That’s pathetic. Electronic devices ought to work for at least 5 years. However, given that the warranty is for one year, the OP has nothing to complain about. If you don’t think one year is long enough, don’t buy the product. Or buy an extended warranty. Or buy insurance. Or budget for the replacement costs. Or, yes, contact the executive customer service and ask nicely. But don’t tell them what they ought to do.

• Big Ant says:

“Electronic devices ought to work for at least 5 years.”

And where did you get the 5 years, The same story would be if the thing happened just outside of the 5 year warranty. They would claim the 5 year warranty was only years because the manufacturer new it would die in 5 years and a month. If it was a widespread breakage of all kindles then they should replace them, case in point is the xbox issues where they extended the warranty.

As for the issues of rep saying the product was defective, they meant it was broken not that it is a known thing happening all the time. It is the same situation as where I used to work, we couldn’t say sorry when something bad happened because we would be admitting guilt. I don’t know when sorry became equal to It is our fault but that what is happened when someone sued them. I say i’m sorry to someone when their mom died, doesn’t mean I killed the mom just means i am sorry and (possibly) know how they feel. Just like the rep says it is defective doesn’t mean it is by their fault. Though the courts seem to have thrown out any common sense long ago, case in point is the crook who broke into a garage and got hit on a head by a hammer or something, and won damages because it the hammer shouldn’t have done it.

40. leoneomeo says:

Ah the times when electronic devices were expected to last at least over 10 years with no worries to warranty…

41. Pax says:

Sorry, bud. A 1-year warranty means ONE YEAR. Not “one year and a few months”.

42. milty456 says:

Yeah…you’re completely delusional….also, your a publicity DIRECTOR…you more than likely have more money than the rest of us(at least me)(and I wouldn’t complain about this)….you know the economy is bad when the well off start complaining about 89 dollars.

43. Mr Fife says:

Real books don’t need repairs…

• arachne says:

Don’t be idiotic. Of course they do. And I have a wonderful collection of repair tools including a book press, various hand items, archival glues and papers for extending the life of my valued books.

I also have my Kindle for books I don’t want to keep. Such a savings in space.