Sony Warns Gamers Its 3D Fare Might Sicken Them

It’s always an adventure when Sony, or most any company for that matter, updates its terms of service. Sony dropped a whopper recently, notifying gamers that 3D games could pose health risks. If your Super Stardust HD wingman is 6 years old or younger, Sony recommends you schedule a visit with the doctor to clear him for 3D gaming.

The dangers extend to older folks, who could suffer eye strain, eye fatigue or nausea. Sony urges those who partake in 3D games should take frequent breaks to avoid such maladies.

From the terms of service:

Some people may experience discomfort (such as eye strain, eye fatigue or nausea) while watching 3D video images or playing stereoscopic 3D games on 3D televisions. If you experience such discomfort, you should immediately discontinue use of your television until the discomfort subsides.

SCEA recommends that all viewers take regular breaks while watching 3D video or playing stereoscopic 3D games. The length and frequency of necessary breaks may vary from person to person. Please take breaks that are long enough to allow any feelings of discomfort to subside. If symptoms persist, consult a doctor.

The vision of young children (especially those under six years old) is still under development. SCEA recommends that you consult your doctor (such as a pediatrician or eye doctor) before allowing young children to watch 3D video images or play stereoscopic 3D games. Adults should supervise young children to ensure they follow the recommendations listed above.

Unfortunately a consultation with Dr. Mario does not count toward your child’s 3D gaming clearance, as Dr. Mario is not only an unlicensed physician but sole intellectual property of Sony’s enemy Nintendo. So he would deny your request anyway.

Terms of Service [PlayStation via Joystiq]

Comments

1. MrAgen10 says:

Yes, the current 3D craze DOES sicken me.

2. rpm773 says:

There are some 2D games that make me feel nauseous after about 10 minutes of gameplay, and so I don’t play them. If this 3D gaming thing takes off, I may be left back in the 20th century.

• Shadowfax says:

You and me both. I’ve tried for years to figure out what the hell causes that, because I’ve missed out on a bunch of fun games due to it.

3. grucifer says:

There’s been motion warnings on games too, as well as flashy-light warnings for Epilepsy. It doesn’t surprise me at all that the language was changed from “motion sickness can cause eye strain” to “3D can cause eye strain.”

Basically; nothing new here.

• grucifer says:

Geez, should’ve read that before I posted it. 2D games come with the same warnings is the point though.

• Gramin says:

Agreed on the nothing new. Better for Sony to issue the warning (which is similar to the warning issues by theatres showing 3D movies) than reap the anger of parents. Some people just can’t handle certain things, like peanuts or bee stings or roller coaster rides. No news here.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Like me. My eyes don’t work together (near-sighted in one, far-sighted in the other) and 3-D makes me ill. I don’t need the warning, but when I was a kid, my parents might not have realized.

• mythago says:

“Motion sickness can cause eyestrain”? Uh, what?

4. pop top says:

It’s not like Dr. Mario would do much for you. He’d just give you some pills and send you on your way.

5. PanCake BuTT says:

Hey is that Dr. Mario ? & will that large pill happen to be Dramamine, which help with your sea sickness video game ailment ? Do tell !

6. dg says:

I’ve never been able to play those first person shooters – No problems while playing, but immediately after I’m done, I feel nauseous and it takes a few hrs to recover… I’ll stick with plain ole space invaders thanks!

7. teke367 says:

Well, good for Sony for at least warning. I think most people who’ve seen a 3D movie might expect this, but it’s always good for a company to be extra cautious before a lawsuit requires them to be so.

8. bonzombiekitty says:

Yeah, my GF can’t handle 3D stuff. It makes her really nauseous. She managed to make it through Avatar, but it took her over an hour after the movie before her stomach felt normal again. The trend towards more and more 3D entertainment makes me worried that there’s going to be a lot of stuff that’s available solely in 3D. If so, it’s really going to stink for her.

• Jigen says:

I’m in the boat with her, but to a lesser degree. 3D movies kill my eyes, and make my stomach turn, but at bearable levels. Still no fun of course, wishing that the 3D love dies.
      Big into video games, and if they end up making 3D only games, I will be sick way too often.

• mac-phisto says:

you know, i haven’t had any trouble w/ the actual 3D movies & previews, but then there are the previews & commercials that are in simulated 3D – they make my eyes hurt so bad i almost can’t watch the movie. i have to close my eyes for them.

9. spindle789 says:

it’s usually the content that sickens me.

10. JoshK says:

This is nothing compared to the warning Samung put out a few months back. Obviously created by over-enthusiastic lawyers, it basically warned everyone to stay away from 3DTV, lest it kills you.

11. Chris J. Stone says:

There’s nothing wrong with Sony doing this. Hell, speaking of Nintendo, they make it impossible to turn on a Wii or DS system without having to look at a screen that warns you to consult a doctor if you’re prone to epilepsy, and even if you aren’t, to take 15 minutes breaks after every hour of gameplay. Obviously, when playing games or movies in 3D, your eyes will be doing things they’re not used to for too long, and to cover their asses, will tell you to take breaks. Don’t expect Nintendo not to have a similar warning when the 3DS comes out, only to have it be obtrusive and required before every time you ever want to start it up.

• Outrun1986 says:

Exactly why I am not buying another console from Nintendo, I want my system to go straight to the game, not to have to read some warning. No one reads the warning anyways, and there should be some way to disable it for adults who want to disable it. Its even worse on the Wii where you have to press the A button several times just to get into the game.

Sony is also putting this warning in their games too, and from the demo’s I downloaded recently from the PS store it takes much longer to bypass them then it does with Nintendo’s DS Lite warning screen. So even though you get to the menu bar on the PSP sooner now the games have you sit and wait through a long warning screen before you can even play.

Nintendo’s already made the perfect system with the DS Lite, I don’t like the design of the 3DS and the DSi doesn’t appeal to me because you can’t play GBA games on it or use the GBA slot for those DS games that incorporate it.

12. AndyD says:

I actually saw similar warnings on the Samsung 3D display booth at Best Buy as well. I think as others said its a good preventative warning much like the epilepsy ones we have had for years.

13. Blious says:

Why do they think people want this? People are just getting INTO HD and now they want us to move to 3D all the while money is tight for everyone?

No thanks

• dolemite says:

I think it’s because almost everyone has HD now, so if you want to be cutting edge and awesome, you have to have 3D.

“Yup, that’s my ‘ol 1080p over there, 42 inches of fun!”
      “*snicker*….only 42″ and 1080…so not laser and no 3d? Well, I suppose it is better than nothing. Come over my abode sometime and gaze upon my 62″ 3D model. I even have 10 pairs of those $150 glasses. Now, if you excuse me, I’m off to the country club!”

14. dolemite says:

I’ve never gotten sick from watching a movie or playing a game (3D or no), but I get carsick within seconds if I try to read or watch something other than the landscape around me. And I get seasick within about 10-15 minutes of being on a boat. Watching the horizon helps.

15. Outrun1986 says:

People won’t be able to get into it as much if most can only play for 15-20 min at a time, this will equal less sales. What keeps games going is the fact that they can be played for long periods at a time, but if you have to take a 30 min break for every 15 min of game play that idea just isn’t gonna go over very well and it will become more annoying than anything. If people start getting sick while playing games then that isn’t gonna go over well either. Remember the virtual reality fad of the 90s…. yeah.

Most people won’t be able to schedule a doctor’s appointment for their kid just to have them cleared for 3D games, the insurance probably won’t cover any tests needed to clear the kid and if a parent was going for solely this reason the insurance probably wouldn’t cover it either.

Overall I can see this being a fad, unless they do like Nintendo is doing it and have an option to turn the 3D effects off, which will most likely happen. You might see games being released in 2 different versions, 3D and non 3D.

16. ThyGoddess says:

Considering that wearing glasses over my glasses in the theater pisses me off, I’m just skipping out of the trend. Nothing wrong with my regular TV.

17. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

What else is new? It’s just Sony updating its CMA health and safety warnings to include newer technology. I’m guessing anyone who’s ever bought a game console or a game for said console in the past 15 years or so have already had to put up with “warning: this game can cause epileptic seizures” or “warning: if you play this game too long, your hands, arms and wrists will make your wither in pain.” Chalk it up to the lawyers. I’m surprised Sony hasn’t pulled a Nintendo yet with the “WARNING: READ THE HEALTH/SAFETY GUIDELINES IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL BEFORE PLAYING THIS SYSTEM” on the power-on screen! All Wii and DS owners know what I’m talking about.

18. WinHac says:

All games in the instruction book says they can make you ill and cause seizures.