Sony Recalls 535,000 Vaio Laptops For Overheating

Generally speaking, laptops get hot, or at least very warm. You pack all that computing power into a slim case with minimal exhaust and it’s bound to happen. But Sony says that some of its popular Vaio Laptops were getting so hot they presented a potential burn hazard to users.

So the electronics giant has issued a recall for some of its VPCF11 and VPCCW2 series of notebook PCs.

Says Sony in their recall press release:

In rare instances, these notebook computers may overheat due to a potential malfunction of the internal temperature management system, resulting in deformation of the product’s keyboard or external casing, and a potential burn hazard to consumers.

The good news is that you don’t need to deal with the Geek Squad to get your computer fixed. Sony is pretty sure that the issue can be fixed with a firmware update available on their site.

If you have any questions or need additional assistance with the firmware update installation, call Sony technical support at (866) 496-7669 for assistance.

Below is a list of all the recalled models:
sonyrecall.JPG

Comments

1. smo0 says:

Aside from the “exploding battery,” I’ve never owned a laptop that DIDN’T run extremely hot.
    If you use a laptop as much as you would a desk top pc – this crap is going to happen. The initial design of the laptop wasn’t made to be used as much….

• Woofer says:

But if the onboard sensors are passing bad data, the fans won’t spin up and you’ll go far beyond just extremely hot.

• smo0 says:

There are programs you can install to control your fans. I use one on my Dell.

And as for the comment a few down – yeah people set laptops on soft surfaces – overheating is almost instant.

On top of that, my laptop came with a “lift” that was screwed in. When it’s on a flat surface it doesn’t over heat as much – I also keep my own desk fan blowing on it.

If you own a laptop – regardless of manufacturer or design, you should be doing this anyway.

2. JohnnyD says:

whew. I *thought* my laptop was getting a little hot recently. It isn’t one of the recalled models, though. I guess that’s good.

3. YouDidWhatNow? says:

The one thing that drives me nuts about people, especially my wife, is that they set a running laptop down on a soft surface, like a bed or a couch, and just walk away.

Said soft surface lets the laptop sink into it – at which point the intake and exhaust ports are covered, and the laptop goes into inferno mode.

Eventually, something really bad happens, and the owner blames the laptop manufacturer.

PEOPLE…a computer needs air to dissipate heat. Cut off it’s air and it dies. So stop that.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

But it’s portable!! I should be able to put it wherever I want!!!

Wait, you mean it won’t work in the tub!? I’LL SUE YOU!

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Indeed. Hence, the reason why walk-behind lawnmowers have to have stickers on them saying “don’t try to trim your hedge with me by holding me above it with your hands.”

4. Scamazon says:

Sony needs to take a page from the HP playbook and say laptops are not intended for use in your lap. Read the owners manual… Seriously, that is what HP told me when I got burned on my leg because my laptop exceeded 180 degrees on a regular basis…

5. frank64 says:

So it says RECALL, but then it says to go to download a firmware update, which is it? I thought a recall meant to bring it back.

“the act of requesting the return of a commercial product to the retailer or manufacturer because of a defect or a safety or efficiency problem”

My laptop is effected, so I am not just posting to be a jerk like normal. (:

• Mariushm says:

The updated firmware would most likely just keep the fans running at maximum at all times or just lower the threshold point, the point where the firmware detects temperature too much and spin the fans faster.

6. Slave For Turtles says:

I’m waiting for laptops to get temperature ratings. My non-Vaio computer has the GPU right under a palm rest. It’s miserably hot, so I have to use an external keyboard and mouse. It’s much worse if I’m playing videos or a game. Yes, it’s always on a table and elevated on a wire pizza-stone holder to boot (which works great, really). The engineer who designed this needs a smack upside the head. This is one laptop that lost its portability due to a crappy design.