Burger King Employee Busted For Drugging Sandwiches

Anyone who has ever eaten too much Burger King has probably felt a bit sleepy afterward. But for at least two BK customers in Jacksonville, FL, that sensation might have come from the fact that their fast food had been spiked with prescription painkillers.

Two unrelated Burger King customers notified authorities after discovering blue pills in their food — a chicken sandwich and a fish filet. The pills turned out to be hydrocodone, a prescription painkiller.

Police found that both sandwiches had been made by the same 20-year-old BK employee, who has since pleaded guilty to two charges of poisoning food with intent to kill or injure someone.

He was sentenced to five years in state prison. Let’s just hope he doesn’t get a job in the cafeteria.

Popping pills into Burger King sandwiches gets Jacksonville man 5 years in prison [Jacksonville.com]

Comments

1. incident man stole my avatar says:

And I’ve blamed MSG all these years

2. Xay says:

Hydrocodone? That’s better than a Twilight tie in.

3. Letsgohokies says:

How come no one ever puts Vicodin in my food?

4. chefboyardee says:

What kind of dumbass wastes money like that? Prescription painkillers are expensive.

• The Marionette says:

unless he stole them……….. (thank GOD for thinking of alternatives)

• oldwiz65 says:

Local police officer told me the pills are worth $80 each on the street!

• merkaba says:

no street price for hydrocodone is 50 cents a mg. there is no way he would be able to find any pain killer with that high a dose. and dont confuse it with the binders and fillers. example 5/500 thats 5mg of the hydrocodone and 500mg of binder and fillers which is most of the time its tylenol.

5. areaman says:

Florida…. hydrocodone…

The BK worker is probably a mislead Rush Limbaugh fan who thought he was making the sandwiches for his favorite radio personality.

6. Rectilinear Propagation says:

So he was just trying to kill or injure random people or did he have something against these two in particular?

And is it me, or does the photo of him look like he’s actually surprised he got arrested for doing this?

• JennQPublic says:

I don’t think ONE hydrocodone sould possibly be interpreted as an attempt to injure anyone, much less kill them.

Sure, they could be allergic, but unless the defendant KNEW they were, there’s no intent to injure here.

• CoachTabe says:

Well, it could be interpreted as an intent to injure in that it could impact their reaction times while driving, thus leading to a possible accident. When I’ve had to take hydrocodone, it didn’t have that effect but it does on some people.

7. chefboyardee says:

• stormbird says:

I don’t know the street value but it’s got to be enough to make this really stupid, unless the moron was making it for himself and just mixed up the sandwiches.

• hansolo247 says:

on the street maybe.

From the pharmacy they cost less than my generic copay.

Think 10,000mg of Methodone for $5.50. Percocet is just as cheap.

8. Nighthawke says:

Good update on that case, and a happy ending for the poor souls that got tossed in the clink.

Say hi to Mr.Tiny for me!

9. Bakergirl says:

Burger King, Burger King……Always offering stuff off the menu. “Burger King Sued Over Marijuana In Police Ofiicer’s Burgers”

10. smo0 says:

:O at 10-20 bucks a pill, street value? I think not! *puffs pipe, bubbles come out*

11. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Hey, they really know how to let me “Have it my way”!

12. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

OK, a couple problems with this story. How can he be charged with “intent to kill” when he put a non-lethal dose (1 pill) in each sandwich? Also, if really intended to harm or intoxicate these people, why not crush the pills up? It’s just all very odd.

• diasdiem says:

A) It was “intent to kill OR injure.” One pill could be harmful to children or little people, or it could have a negative reaction to other medications they may be taking and B) Maybe he’s not smart enough to crush the pills.

• Interpol says:

He may have not intended to kill anyone, but a single pill can kill/injure someone. Maybe someone with an allergy to hydrocodone or tylenol, or someone who had just taken a dose of his prescribed dose of Vicodin before sitting down to eat a meal from BK…

• Bohemian says:

There is the size issue and also other medications that person might be taking. Or even a severe reaction to a prescription medication. I was the unlucky person that had an anaphylactic reaction to a really common anti-inflammatory drug. Things like that do happen. Or someone already on a metric ton of drugs that suppress your system. A hydrocodone could have been enough to tip them over the edge. This also had the potential to totally screw up someone’s life if they are drug tested for some reason like work or some sort of probation situation. Someone could have lost their job or sent back to jail because of some jerk working at BK.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Well he pleaded guilty to it so he’s admitting he attempted to kill or injure someone. Personally I think he’s lucky to get off with only 5 years. Prescription drugs are prescription for the reason that they can kill people if they’re taken with other medication or if someone has an allergy to them. That’s typically why they leave it to the doctors and pharmacists who are trained in the stuff to decided who can take it. Not idiot BK workers who think they’re funny. This shithead is lucky someone didn’t die.

13. diasdiem says:

‘E used teh work a’ Kentooky Frad Check’n, ware ‘e put an addictive chemical in the check’n tha’ made yeh crave it fortnightly!

14. DarthCoven says:

What a waste of perfectly good hydrocodone.

15. kataisa says:

E-coli outbreaks, boogers in your pizza, mice in your fries, mold in your drinks, and drugs in your burgers. Notice how all these incidents happen at fast food places?

Moral of the story: stop eating at fast food restaurants, America. Stop training your kids to eat this crap because you’re too tired or lazy to cook a decent meal at home. Commit this to memory: fast food=bad, Mom/Dad’s cooking=good, even if it’s burned.

We must get back to eating real food, the kind you cook and eat slowly at home. Not only will we be thinner and not have to worry about the teenagers sabotaging our food, it’ll help solve half our medical problems as well and save millions on healthcare costs.

• evnmorlo says:

Unless you grow your own, your food still faces contamination issues. And even if you grow your own some bird is going to crap all over it.

• Dallas_shopper says:

+1,000,000,000,000 etc.

This is what I do. Fast food is trash; it’s garbage. There’s not enough human decency left to trust the people who are preparing your food.

At least when you cook at home you can select the best possible ingredients and ensure that at a bare-assed minimum, meat is properly cooked and everything is at least CLEAN. You can wash bird shit off an apple.

16. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

How much you wana bet that he was selling the stuff, intended the orders to go to folks who paid him and the sandwiches ended up with the wrong customers.

I can see that. “Just order a triple whopper, no mayo, no ketchup and double pickles. You will find the pill under the bun. Now give me 80 bucks.”

17. Dallas_shopper says:

…and people wonder why I hardly ever eat out.

Seriously?

Not only is restaurant food incredibly unhealthy but you have to worry about the people actually cooking it actually practicing proper hygiene and…you know…not trying to kill you. For my money and time I’d rather cook in my own kitchen; then I know exactly what’s in the food. Plus the service is a lot better. ;-)

• Beeker26 says:

Cause it’s not like consumer food products sold in supermarkets or farmer’s markets ever get contaminated with things like salmonella and e. coli, right?

• kataisa says:

The difference is that you have control over the food you buy, you can wash it yourself and cook it to your taste, whereas there’s no guarantee of andy of that at restaurants.

Plus, when you cook your own food you don’t have to worry about fat chefs sweating into your food, or dropping cigarette ashes in it (ever watch Hell’s Kitchen? it’s enough to turn me off from “fine dining” for the rest of my life).

18. blogger X says:

Obivously the employee was trying to increase business. Hey, times are hard! If you want to meet your sales goals, you’ll have to become “inventive” nowadays!

19. anime_runs_my_life says:

This story seems familiar somehow. Didn’t this happen not too long ago at another BK or another fast food restaurant?

• Rain says:

It’s probably the same story. Since this story is about the trial, you probably heard about it when he was arrested. The title doesn’t really suggest that this a follow-up story though.

20. TasteyCat says:

I wonder what he put in my Hot Fudge Brownie Royale.

21. Groanan says:

Gah, the best I get around here is a tomato sticker or a rubberband >

Need to move to Florida I guess.

22. Levk says: