New York Wants Grocery Stores To Sell Wine

Fresh off boosting cigarette taxes, New York is ready to give smokers a replacement for their beloved lung shredders: wine! The state’s latest budget gap killer would allow nearly 20,000 grocery stores to sell bottles of vino, hauling in up to $300 million.

For the moment, New York is one of seventeen states that won’t let grocers sell wine.

New York winemakers are enthusiastic about the proposal. The state ranks 4th in domestic wine production (behind California, Washington and Oregon, all of which allow the sale of wine in grocery stores) but 11th in wine sales. The state also ranks behind less populous states such as North Carolina, Ohio and Michigan in sales. Winemakers and farmers attribute those statistics to the levels of state restrictions on sales, including the ban on selling wine in grocery stores.

The provision is stuffed into Governor Patterson’s latest emergency spending measure, which the legislature will vote on Monday. If it fails, the state will shut down and we’ll have to keep schlepping to the liquor store for our bottles of white.

Forget Soda: NY Moves to Fill Budget Hole with Wine [Tax Girl]

Comments

1. suzy-q says:

Wine/Beer in grocery stores is so commonplace in FL that I never thought it wouldn’t allowed in some states. Maybe in the Bible Belt, but NY? That’s just so weird to me. Do they sell beer in grocery stores up there?

• pervy_the_clown says:

Yeah, they sell beer here. I always thought it was odd too.

• Commenter24 says:

You still can’t buy wine or hard liquor in grocery stores in Kansas. All you can get is 3.2% beer. Gotta love the Bible Belt!

• hypochondriac says:

Alcohol isn’t prohibited in Christianity like it is in Islam, so why the restriction?

• Commenter24 says:

Beats the hell out of me. A remnant of the “Blue laws” I suppose. Plus, certain christian sects are pretty anti-alcohol, the Baptists for example.

• pythonspam says:

Baptists as a group may seem to have disdain for alcohol, but if you ever encounter a baptist outside of the presence of other baptists, they can be some of the heaviest drinkers.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

There’s an old joke:

Jews don’t recognize Jesus as the Messiah; Protestants don’t recognize the Pope as the leader of the Church; and Baptists don’t recognize each other at the liquor store.

• MamaBug says:

I always heard that the way to keep your Baptist friend from drinking your beer while y’all are out fishing is to bring one of his church members.

That said, I’m in Ala-freakin-bama, and we can get beer and wine in the grocery stores and gas stations. ABC store for liquor. It was a change for me, from Louisiana, where you could get liquor at Kroger’s or Wal-Mart.

• nybiker says:

It may be an old joke (and I may be considered old), but I hadn’t heard it. Thanks for the giggle.

• crunchberries says:

Beer and malt liquor are sold in grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores here in NY. The sale of wine and other hard liquor is handled by liquor stores only. Don’t know why, exactly, but it’s never really bothered me. I like supporting my local liquor stores; they’re run by the nicest, most customer service oriented people I’ve ever met.

• tbax929 says:

When I left Pennsylvania, you couldn’t buy beer, wine, or liquor in grocery or convenience stores. I don’t know if it’s still that way. Beer was bought at a distributor and wine/liquor at state stores.

It’s still odd to me that I can get all of the above at my local convenience store, drug store, supermarket, or liquor store now that I’m in Arizona.

• brinks says:

I lived in PA for 3 years in the 90′s. It was such a pain to buy beer, and then you had to buy it in a CASE. If you’re trying to restrict drinking, how ’bout letting me have a 6 pack and NOT making me take a whole case home?

• rlee says:

Virginia allows beer and wine sales in grocery stores etc, but for any other alcohol you have to go to a state-run ABC store. Maybe someday they’ll join the 21st century…

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

Not in Maryland they don’t. Wish it were different but with the purtianical hive mind in control of local governments I doubt if it’ll ever happen.

• backinpgh says:

I’m from PA, and you can only buy liquor and wine at state Wine & Spirits stores, and beer at beer distributors (you can get six packs at bars). They have JUST started to allow a few grocery stores to sell six packs. I hope they expand it…I lived in Michigan for 5 years and was so surprised that you could buy liquor at Walmart or at the corner store. Although I’ll give PA credit for having really good selection in their state stores.

• mbz32190 says:

You can also get beer at Wegmans (they are not everywhere in PA…mostly in Southeastern PA, with a few scattered out to the West). Up to a 12 pack per trip (or enter/exit of the store). They got around the law by declaring the cafe’ portion of the store a “restaurant”, and getting a restaurant liquor license. I think a few other chains have tried this out as well.

• Jerem43 says:

Massachusetts recently shot down a ballot initiative to allow supermarkets and convenience stores to sell beer and wine. A few supermarkets do with waivers from municipalities, but the majority (especially chains) are barred from selling liquor.

Hell, the state has only allowed liquor sales on Sundays for a decade at most, and there are still dry towns where liquor sales are completely banned.

• bjcolby15 says:

Cambridge and Brookline do sell beer and wine in convenience stores and supermarkets, but not at drug stores and other places. Certain Boston stores do too, but on the whole you have to get your beer and wine at a “package” store.

And I do remember the whole dog-and-pony show in 2006 when the package store lobby successfully defeated the bill to allow wine and beer in grocery and convenience stores. The state, to their credit, turned around and slapped a sales tax of 6.25% on liquor, on top of an increased alcohol excise tax.TThe package stores hemmed and hawed about the sales taxes, but it was just desserts for the package store lobby, who saw their sales and profits go to New Hampshire.

• JulesNoctambule says:

It’s common here in North Carolina, too. I’m surprised that NY doesn’t allow it.

• ajlei says:

Same here (I’m in Oregon). I’m already a little annoyed that you can’t buy liquor at the grocery store, but if beer and wine weren’t there, I’d be much more annoyed.

This makes me sound like an alcoholic but I actually don’t drink very often. >_>

• DangerMouth says:

In CT, they allow beer sale in grocery stores, but that’s it.

When I first visited FL and CA, it was like mecca (or hobbits- it comes in PINTS?) They actually allowed you to buy booze in grocery stores, drug stores, and just about everywhere. *sigh*

Being back in CT, I’ve noticed that they’ve increased the allowed selling time from 8pm to 9pm, Mon thru Sat., still no sunday sales. But youcan’t buy a car here on Sunday, either.

Come to Jesus, dudes?

• ElizabethD says:

Aside from bars and restaurants, Rhode Island does not allow any form of alcoholic beverage to be sold anywhere except in a licensed liquor store, or “package store” as they’re also known.

The liquor-store lobby in this state is powerful and vocal and well-connected politically. Sigh! I would love to be able to buy a bottle of wine when I shop for groceries.

Oh, New England and your Blue Laws…..

• Powerlurker says:

The state of New Jersey hasn’t issued new liquor licenses since the 40′s or so for either bars/restaurants or package stores. If you want to open a new restaurant and serve alcoholic beverages there, be ready to pay in the six-to-seven figures to buy a license off of its current owner. At least you can buy booze on Sundays though. Some grocery stores have managed to get their hands on liquor licenses or one of the very small handful of beer/wine only permits that are still floating around, but the vast majority of liquor sales are at liquor stores.

• PsiCop says:

You can’t buy wine in grocery stores in Connecticut, either, and that’s also decidedly not in the Bible Belt. The package-store owners here have a vocal and active lobby in the legislature. They’re the ones who’ve made sure that no other kind of store can sell wine, and that no one can sell beer, wine, or liquor at all on Sundays.

The amount of influence they have is rather astonishing, given the size of their businesses; I mean, you expect major corporations, and industries made up of major corporations, to have that kind of power. You also expect businesses affected by the Mafia (e.g. trash haulers, labor unions, etc.) to have a lot of power. But the package store owners beat them all by a mile … and without benefit of either massive size or criminal influence. There is no other industry in Connecticut which has a tighter lock on the legislature than the package store owners.

• mac-phisto says:

i think the state would be wise to use this recent NY legislation to force the booze industry in this state into an ultimatum – either booze gets sold on sunday or wine ends up in grocery stores. formulate the debate in such a way that they either have to side with one or the other.

i’d prefer sunday hours (i’m not much of a wine drinker) & i’m guessing that if they were pressured into an either/or proposal, they’d rather let stores open than lose their stranglehold on wine – that’s the goldmine for most stores.

• create says:

You can buy beer on Sundays in NY, the only remaining restriction on that is i think it can’t be sold between 2am and 5am any day. But they lifted the “no beer before noon on sundays” crap 7 or 8 years ago when I still actually had a job at a grocery store.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt, and there are HUGE liquor sections in the grocery stores here. My first reaction to this story was the same as yours – I was like “Where do they not allow that?”

2. Mike says:

If the goal is to help bridge the budget gap by allowing people more access to a drug like alcohol, why not make marijuana legal and tax it? I wouldn’t buy it so it wouldn’t affect me. How much money could they make taxing pot?

• hypochondriac says:

Have all the possible side effects been studied? What about being high and driving? What rules would go with that? Is there a test similar to a breathalyzer?

It simple to say just legalization pot and rake in the money, but you have to consider numerous factors.

• Mike says:

Well we all know the terrible side effects of alcohol and we still let people drink, tobacco isn’t a problem for us either and people die left and right from that.

I have never had a drink or smoked a joint in my 30+ years of life, and I never will. But what is worse about pot than alcohol? Both are drugs. Alcohol kills more people. If you want to do the studies you asked for you need to make it legal first, at least on the pharmaceutical level.

• hypochondriac says:

Alcohol and Tobacco are known risks. People know what can happen and accept the consequences. Remember all law suits against Tobacco? When Tobacco first became popular the risks were wither unknown or purposely hid from the public.

Before you legalize pot. You should at least do studies to find what risk it carries. Otherwise you run the risk the state getting sued for not informing the public.

From what I’ve read Pot is safer then the Alcohol and Cigarettes, but I haven’t come across any long term studies.

Based on what I know I would ban Alcohol and Cigarettes and make Pot legal. I would still like to know the long term effect of pot though.

• tbax929 says:

Or you could just look at its effects on countries where it’s been legal for years. It’s not like there’s not precedence for legalized marijuana. I’m definitely for legalizing it and taxing it.

• DorsalRootGanglion says:

I just put in the words “long-term effects marijuana” into the site Pubmed, the NIH clearinghouse for international peer-reviewed journals. It returned 2766 results. Now, I haven’t begun to go through them to find which ones are the best, but your argument has absolutely no weight in reality. We have a decent idea of what 30+ years of using pot does to you. Not just from studying people in other countries, but also from studying people who have used drugs illegally since the 60′s.

Here’s the short list: cognitive decline, increased risk of lung cancer, increased mood, maybe increased risky behavior. So, more or less, on par with either alcohol or tobacco, with a lower chance of killing you via overdose.

Remember, the main reasons pot is illegal are that black people used it and that the cotton industry doesn’t want to compete with hemp as a fiber.

• DangerMouth says:

No chance of overdose. There are no THC receptors in the areas of the brain that control your central nervous system and other involuntary functions.

I personally don’t care for it (it makes me stupid, becuase it really does affect short-term memory), but all-in-all, it’s way less harmfull than booze or cigs. There is some evidence that its use by adolescents (pre-puberty) can affect motivation as an adult.

The reasons why it’s illegal are myriad and not at all related to its toxicity.

On major reason is that without pot, the “war on drugs” would be so far reduced as to be ridiculous. An estimated 6% of the US population use pot more or less regularly, but way less than that who use hard drugs (

People often say “would you want the doctor who is operating on you you to be a pot smoker?” but I wouldn’t want a drunk operating on me either. Or driving a car to hospital, for that matter. The issue is regulation, not adverse effects.

• DorsalRootGanglion says:

“There are no THC receptors in the areas of the brain that control your central nervous system and other involuntary functions.”

Back away and read this sentence. Your CNS is the brain and spinal cord. Your CNS isn’t an involuntary function. The CNS, specifically the “hindbrain” of the medulla, pons, and to an extent, structures such as the reticular activating system, control involuntary functions necessary for basic life, i.e., breathing and heart rate. Now, remember that things such as temperature regulation and hunger are a lot farther up, in our friend the hypothalamus.

“There are plenty strewn about the rest of the brain, which is why it’s so effective for such diverse functions such as pain relief, nausea AND appetite (quite a trick, actually), but you can’t OD on pot.”

There have been few, but not 0, reports of OD directly related to the motor-suppressing properties of THC. Apparently, these are injection related, but technically, still related.

But please don’t tell me about the brain when you can’t keep your brain areas straight. There’s a reason I’m named after my favorite structure of the spinal cord.

• DangerMouth says:

Back away and read your own comment: “Your CNS isn’t an involuntary function. The CNS, specifically the “hindbrain” of the medulla, pons, and to an extent, structures such as the reticular activating system, control involuntary functions necessary for basic life, i.e., breathing and heart rate.”

Your CNS governs involuntary functions, such as breathing, pumping blood, etc. Zactly what I said. Pot doesn’t affect this area of the brain.

Pot affects almost every other area of the brain, and most areas of the body.

In your haste to show off, you stepped on your own dick, and pretty much repeated what I said. And if you are talking about a population, 1 is about equal to zero, tho I’d be interested in a cite for that OD you mention, because every source I’ve ever read says pot OD’s do not happen.

• DorsalRootGanglion says:

You have areas of your brain that control your central nervous system? That’s saying you have areas of your brain that control your brain. While that’s true, given the inhibitory connections between, say, the basal ganglia and the frontal lobe, the sentence comes out nonsensical.

30 seconds on pubmed, my friend, gives me a handful of articles that mention mainlining hashish to kill yourself. There are also some articles from 1986 that apparently discuss pot ODs. Enjoy.

3. aja175 says:

There’s been a fight for a while about allowing wine in grocery stores in NY. Guess the grocery stores won.

• ChuckECheese says:

Speaking of New York and wine, be sure to check out upstate NY (finger lakes) wines. They are easy to drink, sweet, but balanced and great in the summer, wine’s answer to sweet tea or lemonade. Careful, because when they are easily chuggable. You can check out individual bottles in the store, then when you have formed your opinions, order cases online (if your locality allows it). if any Consumerist readers have recommendations, let us know.

4. Fantoche_de_Chaussette says:

Prohibition may be over, but the Prohibition mentality persists.

Even in “liberal” jurisdictions that allow grocery stores to sell wine, Sunday sales are often banned.

• tbax929 says:

The only restriction we have is between 2 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Sundays. I’m not sure why that is, but every once in a while I’ll forget – it’s usually during football season when I’m trying to pick up a six pack before the games start (they come on at 10 am).

• tbax929 says:

I just looked this up to make sure, and the law here is changing next month so we’ll be able to buy liquor at 6 a.m. on a Sunday.

5. Emperor Norton I says:

We’ve had that forever in Illinois.
    We’re only the most corrupt place on earth & broke on top of it!

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

I spent the first 25 years of my life in IL – you’re far from the most corrupt of anything. And everybody’s bankrupt these days.

Yes, in IL (and other states without their heads up their asses), you can buy any kind of booze you want at every grocery store, gas station, and convenience store you care to walk into.

Then I moved to MN as was flabbergasted that you can’t buy any kind of booze anywhere on Sundays. Or, anyplace other than a liquor store (unless you want the 3.2 crap grocery stores can sell). And we have this retarded “on-sale/off-sale” licensing thing…

But then I got a job working for a company based in Philly, and realized truly how bad it could be. PA has the dumbest blue laws I’ve ever seen. They lose so much tax revenue because of people jumping state lines to buy booze it’s obscene. Epic fail.

• mojoald says:

Oh you can, just gotta goto the wonderful shores of Hudson, WI. The Twin Cities source for booze on Sundays.

• Emperor Norton I says:

Let’s see now: Two ex governors have gone to prison & a third one is going to be convicted soon, 28 Chicago aldermen have been convicted on bribery charges, including a father-son team!
        Trust me, Illinois is the most corrupt place on earth.
        And as for bankrupt, we are the most likely state to default on our bonds, even ahead of California. Illinois is currently rated the 7th most likely government on the entire planet to default!

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Lighten up. There’s plenty of other countries in the world more corrupt than the state of IL. And more bankrupt.

At least you can buy beer on Sunday…

6. nakkypoo says:

Which editor is it that lives in New York. Oh, and, are you trying to keep people away..?

7. nakkypoo says:

And, by the way, “New York winemakers” is a misnomer. Almost no wine comes from New York state (forth is like fighting over last place in a car race between a car that finished the race and one that ran out of gas half-a-lap in.) Good try, but it won’t happen. Last I checked much more than half of domestic wine sold in the US comes from California (by some counts 80%.)

Oh, is this another New York tax?

• pantheonoutcast says:

“Almost no wine comes from New York state”

I wonder what those 50 wineries on Long Island are really manufacturing and selling then…and how did they get to be the 3rd largest growing region in America? It must be a massive front for some nefarious scheme….

• FiorellaMajumdar says:

Actually, there are some really good rieslings that come out of the Finger Lakes region of NY State, but this issue is much wider–the Constitutionally guaranteed protection of wine and liquor distributors. Sadly, distributors have a lot of money and a lot of politicians in their pockets, and the Constitutional Amendment repealing Prohibition forever put managing alcohol sales in the hands of states (despite the fact that, on its face, this is a violation of the Commerce Clause…but the Supremes shot that down). Eventually, the big distributors will win…they always win.

• crtjer says:

Yeah don’t forget the Finger Lakes region. *shakes head* California may produce more wine than another state but your missing regions. California isn’t known for Rieslings or even Ice wine/dessert wine but NY is. California could have a high percentage of wine production but that doesn’t mean that NY is something to snuff under the carpet.

8. Megalomania says:

The arbitrary restrictions on selling alcohol continue to amaze. There’s the practically traditional “no liquor on sunday”, its cousin “no alcohol on sunday”, Texas’ “No liquor on sunday and no booze at all before noon on sunday”, Tennessee’s schizophrenic “no beer and liquor in the same store”, and this apparent generic restriction on wine in grocery stores that I’ve never had the displeasure of seeing before.

All that wrapped up with the 21 year old drinking limit, combined with the huge amount of advertising for beer and liquor, and the completely pervasive consumption of alcohol in all American media and there are some serious mixed messages. For the record, I am over 21 and the only place I can find my favorite soda is in a liquor store… that is closed on Sunday.

• brinks says:

Ohio has some weird laws that I still can’t figure out. Supermarkets sell beer and wine, but can’t sell it to you before noon on Sunday. And they have to stop selling it at some point on Saturday night, but I don’t know what time. Different stores seem to do different things. What the hell? Why can’t I get drunk on Sunday morning, Ohio?

• RandomHookup says:

When I was in college in Arkansas, you couldn’t buy alcohol on election day until the polls close. Considering we had to drive 30 minutes to get out of a dry county just to find a liquor store (in a bean field 5 feet over the county line), we were not pleased to discover it’s school board election day.

9. brinks says:

I’ve lived in three states, and Ohio is the only one where you can purchase beer and wine in the supermarket. It really does make sense. If you’re going to buy it anyway, why not be able to buy it where you already shop? I know someone’s going to complain that it will just encourage people to drink more wine. However, it’s their choice, isn’t it? If it’s going to help the budget, do it.

• Megalomania says:

In Virginia, stores are allowed to sell beer and wine, but only the state can sell liquor, something that allegedly keeps prices down but compared to neighboring states, keeps prices up and prevents you from finding anything exotic. In Texas, the rule as far as I can tell is that you can sell whatever you want, but if you sell hard liquor then no one under 21 is allowed in. You can certainly find both wine and beer in the grocery stores, however.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

In Indiana there’s no liquor sales on Sunday (or at least when I lived there), beer and wine could be in the grocery store but liquor had to be a separate area or store where you had to be 21 and over OR a “babe in arms.” Leave your 8-year-old in the car.

In North Carolina buying liquor required an obnoxious trip to the state ABC store and alcohol of all sorts cost AN ARM AND A FREAKING LEG.

In Virginia, alcohol sales cut off midnight to 6 a.m. and I could never FIND the damn state liquor store.

So I was ever so glad to move back to Illinois, where the rule is, “ALCOHOL!” and I can pick up wine for dinner at the pharmacy, beer for a barbecue at the gas station, or gin for my Great Gatsby party at the grocery store while picking up food, and get drunk on any damn day at any damn time I please … except the cashier has to be 21 to check me out. But that’s okay.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Still no liquor sales on Sunday but grocery stores here in Indiana can sell hard liquor. My local Target sells wine and hard liquor but no beer. Meijer sells all of it and has a pretty decent selection.

10. sopmodm14 says:

mkes sense, they sell beer, and it should boost local economy as well, being in-state

11. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

Here in Maryland every time there’s a hint of “let’s allow beer & wine sales in grocery stores” the staunch anti-alcohol people get all up in arms and lobby (bully) the political figures into squashing the measure. Why? The most popular argument is that if it were allowed the (gasp!) Children might be harmed b/c cashiers might sell to them. See, around here all you have to do is tie whatever you want somehow to child safety or education or health and it’s almost a free pass and anti-American to vote against.

Never mind that these same places sell cigarettes and have to check ID’s for those sales (and that’s okay) but alcohol is the great evil that must be regulated to within an inch of it’s life. Talk about your prohibition mentality.

We can’t even have wine shipped into Maryland due to the possibility that an underage drinker might have ordered it (like your average teenager is going to go through the trouble and expense to order wine for their illegal binge).

So yes, would love to see beer and wine sales in Maryland, but I doubt if that’ll happen anytime in the near future.

12. abberz3589 says:

I think this is so strange. I grew up in Alabama, one of the most southern and conservative states ever, but we could buy beer and wine at any grocery store. The only time you couldn’t buy it was on Sundays before noon, but we just stocked up before that.

13. Sexual Elf! says:

Most smokers I know either only smoke when they’re drinking or smoke way more when they’re drinking. Verrrry sneaky, New York. I see what you’re doing there.
    ;)

14. Hoss says:

I feel compelled to give my full support, for what that’s worth. In our nonsensical laws of Massachusetts, some markets sell wines yet the vast majority are not allowed. So you can go into a Trader Joes in one town and get wine, or a odd market in a particular town, but the same store in another town prohibits the sale. I assume it’s all about the lobbying power of liquor store chains.

As far as what is best for the community, if the driving reason is to get more state revenue, I’m not convinced that more availability equals more revenue. Those that enjoy wine at any level buy it feeling whether that entails going to a special store by other means. The value to the community is to be able to purchase old grape juice at the same trip that we can buy cheese, spreads as well as the food staples.

It’s comical that we can buy cancer sticks, materials to blow up city hall, Walmart ammunition and stupid lottery products so freely, but some states feel they need to keep a glass of red wine so difficult to buy.

15. sqeelar says:

The original Whole Foods store in Austin, was 2/3 food and 1/3 wine and beer.

16. Eggman9713 says:

Wait, NY doesn’t let grocery stores sell wine!? Here in WA most stores have whole aisles of nothing but beer and wine. Still have to go to a state store to buy hard liquor, but that may be changing soon.

17. smo0 says:

Wait… I’m confused… liquor isn’t sold in grocery stores?

It is in Nevada and California…

I’m confused.

• smo0 says:

Also… places with “last call” tend to confuse me as well, as we don’t have that here.

• RandomHookup says:

Travel the country…liquor laws are the number 1 differentiator from state to state. Drinking hours, where & what you can buy, drive-through windows (and the crazy laws in Louisiana).

• smo0 says:

I have… but I don’t think I actively did booze shopping in other states so I never noticed…

18. brianary says:

It’s looking like the state-run liquor stores in WA will get some competition soon. The prop got all the signatures it needed right away to allow liquor sales by grocery stores.

19. Kialani says:

i live in California, where i can go buy anything from budwiser to greygoose and patron in my local grocery store, i thought it was completely bizarre when i visited Florida and had to actually go to a liquor store to buy anything.. how many states actually do carry liquor in grocery stores?

20. FiorellaMajumdar says:

Adding a tax to sugary sodas and faux fruit drinks that pump kids up to the size of bean bag chairs is bad, but selling more alcohol–a drug that, while delicious, kills thousands annually–is good? I did get a chuckle out of hearing the ads supporting Big Softdrink’s political whores, urging people to vote for the politicians who promise to protect your Mountain Dew injections.

21. Baelzar says:

You can’t buy liquor in the grocery store?

Damn. Between the taxes and the nanny statism….NY must suck.

22. MamaBug says:

It was weird going back and forth between Alabama and Louisiana for a few years. In AL you could buy wine and beer at the Piggly Wiggly/gas station, but had to go to a package store or ABC store for liquor. In LA, you could buy it all at Wal-Mart or Kroger’s. It was so cool that I could pick up the milk, cereal, and rum in Louisiana, but when I moved back, I remembered that I had to go to a liquor store.

And I’m in the south – NY is just catching on to this type of revenue?

23. chiieddy says:

This failed in MA a few years ago. Grocery stores were all for it, but the liquor stores had a bigger lobby.

“YOUR CHILDREN COULD BUY WINE!!!!”

Yeah. Fail.

• gman863 says:

Kids being able to buy booze in a grocery is a bullshit excuse.

Every food or drug store I’ve purchased beer or wine at has their checkout scanners programmed to lock up and display “CHECK ID” or “ENTER DATE OF BIRTH” before the cashier can continue.

It’s even worse if you use the U-Scan lane: Sometimes it takes five minutes before an employee walks over to check your ID and punches in their code to let you finish.

• chiieddy says:

Of course it was a crappy excuse, but it was an open voter referendum and the lobby with the bigger purse won the vote.

24. Memtex784 says:

In Wisconsin, beer is sold next to wine and other flavors of alcoholic drinks in any store including gas stations available 7 days a week. There is a saying here, it’s not a town unless there is a church and a bar located with in walking distance.

25. Randell says:

The entire selling of alcohol is so silly in this country. In Michigan, they do not allow sales after 2 AM. Why? Seems to me if I work a 6 pm to 2 am shift I should be able to buy a bottle of wine or beer on the way home. No alcoholic beverages can be sold until noon on Sunday? Why? Is this supposed to make me go to church instead? The catholic church wants to feed me wine anyway. The one that frosts my ass most is after 9:30 pm on Xmas ever no alcohol sales until the day after Christmas. As an atheist, I do not celebrate this silly holiday. We do not make these rules for Jewish or other holidays.

26. MustWarnOthers says:

I live in NY and completely disagree with the wine in grocery store nonsense.

I occasionally visit the local wineries but am by no means a wine snob. I don’t really know much about it, or what I’m actually tasting. But I do very much enjoy the work that goes into mastering the wine making process and the knowledge that comes along with it, it’s almost like a trade in and of itself.

Putting wine in grocery stores is going to hurt all the local liquor stores, who very often employ people who actually know half a shit about wine.

None of the minimum wage payed grocery store employees will be able to answer any of the questions people might have about wines.

Let the liquor stores keep it.

27. gman863 says:

No wine in NY grocery stores?

Even the holy-roller hillbillies in Alabama who tax the crap out of hard liquor at the state ABC stores allow the local Piggly Wiggly to sell beer and wine!

In Texas, it gets even better: Kroger, H-E-B and Randall’s give you an extra 10% off if you buy six or more bottles. They even have cardboard wine carriers that hold six bottles, just in case you forgot to grab a cart.

28. OneBigPear says:

If they’re selling Ravenswood like in the picture, then I heartily approve!