This Japanese Ad Will Initially Confound You

See if you can guess before this Japanese ad is over what the product is they’re actually advertising. Go on, I dare you.

Maguro [WTF Japan, Seriously!?]

Comments

1. Southern says:

I saw that on Digg the other day.. I couldn’t understand the Japanese subtitles, but I could only assume it was some food/candy item.

2. TheFinalBoomer says:

Uh…ok…

3. 3rdUserName says:

Japan is awesomely weird..

4. qxrt says:

The “More about:” tags below the video gave it away even before I started watching

5. cybrczch says:

I actually got it as soon as she went fetal position.

6. Geekybiker says:

Sashimii? Or a candy that looks like sashimi? I probably have it spelled wrong.

7. Moosehawk says:

Dating site! … nope
    Underwear ad? … nope
    Uh, paint? … nope
    Ohhhh, it was sushi. Duh.

8. dreamfish says:

Is the expected comment something like “Oh, those wacky Japanese!”

9. blogger X says:

For a second there I though this was becoming a NSFW vid.

10. jo3lr0ck5 says:

I thought it was like ancestry.com and then when they started getting naked I thought laundry detergent, and then when they did the paint thing I was like oh it’s a website for paint fetish…and then they turned into sushi or whatever that was and I just laughed hysterically.

11. Rectilinear Propagation says:

You think people in Japan look at ads in other countries and wonder WTF? Like that ad where the football player is talking office employees or those “double pitts to chestie” ads (UGH).

12. Hoss says:

Well, is the ad for an industry like fishing or dining, or is it a specific company??

13. ellmar says:

I think the most of the world is still trying to figure out how a guy throwing a football through a tire swing represents an erectile dysfunction medication. Or at least the parts of the world where penises are not roughly 1/5th the size of their intended, um, targets.

14. kouotsu says:

For some reason I find a commercial for sushi very strange in itself.

15. Serenefengshui says:

I guessed it! Actually, that’s pretty darn cool.

16. Nick says:

Known to some as abstraction.

17. ThyGoddess says:

Oh yea… seen this one before. It’s…Well… Japanese!

18. unchainedmuse says:

Why do the Japanese, of all people, need to advertise for sushi?

19. jerry101 says:

sweet.

Japan hardly takes the cake on weird, confounding commercials where the product is unintelligible. Think about all these companies here that are putting the weird commercials on tv.

GE had that one with the kid who ran out to a coast line with a jar, then ran home and gave the jar to his grandfather or something at the old guy’s birthday and it caused a huge blast of wind to tear through the house. What, exactly, was that all about? I didn’t seem to have anything to do with microwaves, or any other product.

Then there were those “human network” commercials. I forget the company. No identifiable product. I guess the objective must have been to raise the company’s profile, but they failed with me, at least, since I don’t remember the company (and I usually remember way too much useless crap, such as this).

Then there were most of this year’s super bowl commercials, which seemed mostly like spiteful bits of misogynist malarky, but ended with some product actually being advertised. Those just seemed to say F*** you to the audience, rather than trying to actually sell the intended product.

Just 2 examples of weird commercials that seem totally unrelated to any product.

20. JeffM says:

Makes me want some nigiri… but disgusts me at the same time.

21. OneTrickPony says:

I think it’s easier to associate this ad with the underlying product than to associate a guy a fiberglass king mask and dancing girls in angular brown pants with “hamburgers.”

22. operator207 says:

I do not believe you know what the word “initially” means.

23. exoxe says:

Kawaii!

24. LACubsFan says:

Big hit happy body!

25. evilpete says:

Weird or not, if got people’s attention…

26. Chris J. Stone says:

It’s obvious at the end what the advertisement is for. And the beginning and middle is there to grab your attention. It worked. Very creative and well done ad. For a second there, I thought you were drawing our attention to a video that was supposed to be strange or weird.

27. samandiriel says:

I think it’s really clever, actually. Love affair = yummie fish + rice = sushi joint fare. Not really subtle, actually. I’m not Japanese and I got it right away. I do love me my sushi, tho, so perhaps that primed the pump for me :)

28. clatko says:

Um.. Humor! You can’t watch this and at least not smile, it’s funny! Japanese aren’t awesomely weird, they just have a sense of humor that foreigners don’t always understand.

BTW, it’s an ad for a sushi restaurant. It would be something along the lines of an ad for McDonald’s in the US.

29. LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

How does the saying go? Something like…

“What is this I don’t even…?”

30. tournant says:

This drum machine confounds me.

31. bwcbwc says:

Without even starting the video, I’ll guess a condom.

32. pirate_eggie says:

Still not nearly as baffling or horrifying as the Tabasco singing pepperoni pizza commercial…that is the stuff of nightmares.

33. god_forbids says:

For the curious, the ad seems to be for a restaurant called “Gin no Sara” [Silver Platter]. The caption underneath says “the finest meeting of neta and shari” where shari is the hand-balled rice prepared for o-nigiri and neta is whatever thing is laid on top.

I actually found the ad clever and cute, especially the use of “Air on a G string” to punctuate the caption. Why is this weird? Or have I been Japanese too long?

34. magus_melchior says:

So what the sushi joint chain (“Gin no sara”, or “Silver Plate”) is saying, is that their tuna nigiri tastes like a couple of humans covered in paint.

Uhhh… I think I’ll pass.

35. almightytora says:

“This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.”