Mother-Daughter Scam Tag Team Targeted Seniors Via Obits

Vultures. A mother and a daughter were arrested for skimming through the local obituary pages and calling up the spouses pretending to be from the bank or credit card company. They would say that the recently departed owed the company money, and the survivor needed to provide a blank check or a credit card.

The mother plead guilty and was sentenced to three years probation, 90 days in jail, 90 days of tether, $2,110 in fines, $5,000 in restitution, and 300 hours of community service. Her offer to make it up to the victim by doing odd jobs for him was rejected by the judge.

“I appreciate your suggestion (of doing work for the victim), but I don’t want you to come even close to the victim,” the judge said. “I don’t want you to care or be close to anyone who is elderly.”

The daughter was extradited to another state.

It’s important to impart to elderly friends or family the need to never give out personal information over the phone to anyone. If you suspect your friends or family might be falling victim to elder fraud, be sure to ask the 5 questions that can reveal elder fraud.

Mother-daughter team accused of scamming seniors through obits [WNDU via International Federation of Elder Financial Crime Fighters Facebook Group]
Con artist gets probation [South Bend Tribune]

Comments

1. 47ka says:

I hope there’s a special place in hell for these two.

2. Dre' says:

They got off light AFAIC.

• Draygonia says:

Yes, I was hoping for 3 years in jail, not probation… plus of course the special place in hell :D

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“This is the bank. You owe us money. Send a blank check.”

Really?

I know the battle continues to rage on Consumerist forums on whether the elderly are the remanents of a lost era of people of a trusting nature, or just senile. I tend to lean in the latter direction. There’s a point where it no longer becomes an issue of trusting too much and slips into just being stupid.

I think we reached it.

• failurate says:

Yes, the most vulnerable people in our society, the beloved elderly, they deserve to be victims of crime, because they are stupid.

I really look forward to your next contribution.

And also, burn in hell lepers! Couldn’t agree more. Sick people suck and give me the willies.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You had me at your sarcasm, then lost me at your illogic fear and hatred towards the sick.

Regardless, I’m not saying its their (the elderly) own fault. And I’m not saying the schemers aren’t at fault – they are. No one *should* being doing this to anyone.

• JCH4H says:

I totally disagree with you about the elderly people being stupid. Older people do tend to trust more then they should, and more often then not the older you get —- you start to forget things. I feel it’s unfair that you call them stupid, they have lived long lives and people should have more respect for the elderly.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

At what point do you forget that giving out bank information is bad?

“The elderly aren’t stupid. The people that do these things to them are the ignorant ones.” I agree in the sense that they always get caught by being stupid/greedy. But I disagree because clearly they figured out a who to scheme.

• dragonfire81 says:

That’s because the elderly are from a generation where most people COULD BE TRUSTED and it makes me so angry that’s changed. There are plenty of truly needy people out there who can’t get the help they need because everyone is afraid they are a scam artist or serial killer.

• mythago says:

We did, but not in the way you think. Saying that elderly people who may be trusting, lonely and/or losing their mental faculties to some degree are “stupid” if they are tricked by professional con artists is, itself, an argument that its stupider than a 100-pound bag of organic grade-A stupid.

4. 333 (only half evil) says:

My mom got a call like this after my dad died. I assured her that he didn’t have any debt that she didn’t know about. They prey on older folk from a more trusting era who are in the midst of grief.

5. sopmodm14 says:

wow, what scum

6. Moosenogger says:

The mother asks if she could go to the victim’s house and do odd jobs for him? What, was she hoping to get a second crack at his bank account? Maybe pilfer his secret money stash out of his sock drawer?

This lady needs to be punched. Hard.