Dead Magazine Coming Back As Zombie iPad App

Conde Nast announced plans to bring back the shuttered Gourmet Magazine as a free iPad app that gets users to pay for free stuff along the way with virtual currency, Farmville style.

The iPad is pumping hope into the dying print industry, so if the Gourmet model works when it comes out in the Fall, it may well be joined by some fellow resurrected glossy corpses.

What rag would you most like to see Lazarused on e-readers?

Gourmet Lives! ‘Pity’ Says Ruth Reichl [New York Observer via The Awl]

Comments

1. mannyvel says:

emigre!

2. one swell foop says:

I actually liked gourmet. They didn’t encourage you to use every sauce out of a can or jar, it was more of a magazine for people that cared as much or more about food than they did toting their kids to a soccer game in the minivan. Bon Apetite, on the other hand, caters to soccer moms.

You don’t know how and where the payment system is going to be used, and for what content, so getting all critical before you know the details is jumping the gun a little. Zombie iPad App is also probably incorrect. If it winds up being a forum where people can interact and swap recipes and techniques, then it’ll be much more like many food sites out there than a zombie anything.
    If I can get free access to the archived content, I’ll be happy.

I’ve said my bit, you may go back to writing incorrect and inflammatory headlines now.

3. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I still miss Omni. I tried shifting to the Discover magazine, but it didn’t have those science fiction short stories that I enjoyed in Omni. :(

4. blinky says:

I want boo back. Okay, it’s not a mag. But she was hot.

5. Dustbunny says:

Domino!! I loved that magazine. Sniff :(

6. ChuckECheese says:

What about Spy? Does anybody care about Spy Magazine? I thought that by the mid-1990’s, Gourmet mag was pandering too much to the haute bourgeoisie and not enough to food.

• SnowQueen says:

Yes, Spy! Loved that mag.

• Daverson says:

I loved Spy – I was a subscriber right up until the very end. Spy filled the gap left when National Lampoon spiraled off into suckitude and oblivion.

7. rsplatpc says:

I’m gonna throw my hat in with Dynamite Magazine

8. ambre says:

I miss Jane, and Sassy, of course.