Emailing Logitech VP Gets Out-Of-Warranty Remote Fixed

Chuck was stuck with a broke remote. Out of warranty, it was a joke, its LCD screen croaked, its buttons he blindly poked. Customer service offered him reimbursement, 50%, on his next purchase. Not good enough, he puffed! He did not want to fill a landfill with more stuff! So he leapt over the minions and emailed a man who had hand, like pinions he spun gears and he won Chuck a repair and now Chuck no longer rips out his hair, no longer stuck with a joke of a broken remote, his tale I now share:

Chuck writes:

I own lots of Logitech products, two of those being Harmony remotes. One of those remotes is the Harmony 890 with the RF adapter. When it was new, it was a rather expensive remote control, but the prospect of hiding away all my devices was too much to pass up. I was able to get great use from the remote, until the LCD went out. The device continued to function well, but not being able to see the LCD meant I had to do stuff from memory. When I had a friend house sit for me, I even had to resort to labeling the remote so he could use it. I’ve included a photo because it’s just ridiculous.

My remote was out of warranty, but I went ahead and attempted to warranty the device through the regular channels. The Logitech staff were polite, but insisted that since the device was not under warranty they could not replace it. I explained that I didn’t actually need a replacement, I just needed it fixed. I explained that the remote worked fine, but I felt somewhat bad condemning a working device to a landfill when a quick part replacement was all it would take. Again, the support staff explained that it was out of warranty and nothing could be done. They offered me a coupon for 50% off a new remote.

Dear chuck,

Thank you for your recent inquiry about your Universal Remotes

We are sorry to hear about your defective Harmony Remote. Your account information indicates that your remote is out of warranty and so we are unable to offer you a replacement unit.

If you would like to purchase a replacement remote, we are willing to offer you a special discount of 50 % off, availible on all current Harmony models (except bundles) from our web store.

Please contact our sales team on 1-800-231-7717. They are open Mon – Fri 6 am – 6 pm (Pacific Time) Sat – Sun 7 am – 5 pm (Pacific Time) Closed on all US Holidays. Please reference 100405-001481 to validate the discount

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Regards,
Logitech Customer Care

Not deterred, I pressed the issue that I really just wanted mine fixed. Again they reminded me my warranty was out. After doing a quick search on your site, I found mention of contacting David Henry who is Senior VP of Customer Experience (david_henry@logitech.com). He was able to escalate the issue and get someone by the name of Dane involved. Dane immediately took ownership of the situation and asked me to mail it on in.

Dear chuck,

I’ve been informed that you require some assistance in getting the LCD screen of your Harmony 890 Pro fixed since it is not displaying anything correctly. We would be more than happy to help you with this request.

If you wish to have the screen replaced, please ship it to the following address.
Once we receive it, we will swap out the LCD screen for you and return the remote back to you.

Logitech Harmony Remote Controls

Regards,
Dane
Harmony Technical Support

I paid shipping there, to Canada using a flat rate box. 3 Weeks later I got a notice of shipping from Canada Post. The remote arrived packed in what I sent it, but fully functioning now. Stickers intact!

So, I get a happy ending. This is a huge plug for Logitech. They have such great products and their staff really seem to care. This is also a thank you to Consumerist, because without you guys, I’d still have those stickers on there.

Regards,

Chuck

Comments

1. Draygonia says:

Duh, Logitech has the best Customer Service in the world… I would have been happy with a 50 percent off a brand new, non sticky remote!

2. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

can we stay away from poetry and just report?

3. darksly says:

My Logitech Harmony 890 broke while in Warranty… I filed a claim online and one through the phone… they sent me 2 new remotes… Thank You Logitech for not having warranty claim systems that speak to each other…

4. Silent128 says:

Logitech does indeed have the best customer service I’ve seen.

I had a very similar experience to Chuck, even the same remote, lol. I got the 50% off a new remote offer, but as I figured it would be cheaper to repair then replace I e-mailed David Henry my remote’s sad tale, and I received a response back from someone offering me a new Harmony 900. Not a refurbished product, but a Harmony 900. I was required to give them the info off the old one so they could disable it (To reprogram a Harmony you have to connect it to a computer, the number I gave him prevents the romote from being reprogrammed further).

I was not required to hip in the old one, they simply took my info down and shipped me a new one.

Needless to say that I am quite pleased with Logitech’s support. I only wanted an LCD screen and ended up with a new remote, free of charge.

5. Javin says:

That “poem” was pretty painful.

6. Skellbasher says:

Normally like your stuff Ben, but that poem hurt my brain.

7. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

So they were willing to give him more than he was due, but it wasn’t good enough?

• Shadowfax says:

I could be wrong, but it seems the guy with the broken remote wasn’t objecting to Logitech not giving him stuff for free, but was objecting to having to throw away a perfectly good remote when the only thing wrong with it was a busted screen. Why waste the rest of the remote when you can just swap the screen? I can’t really fault him for that. We throw too much crap away in this society.

And BTW, plastic comes from oil. A new remote would have enriched BP just a little more ;)

8. That1Guy says:

You know, we have the same model Harmony remote, and 3 months ago the screen just went blank for no apparent reason. We started down a similar path in hopes of getting the moderately-priced-but-expensive device replaced out of warranty, but had no luck.

So then we started researchign the idea of buying other broken ones on Ebay to replace the screen with, when for (no apparent reason) it just started working again!

I didnt consider using labels though, I just had a memory of which order to push the buttons to get it to go on/off.

9. Brunette Bookworm says:

How long did he keep the remote around after the screen died? Months, weeks? How far out of warranty was it? If he didn’t do anything about the screen for months or if it died while in warranty and he waited until later to contact Logitech then he seems a bit demanding. I would like more information on this. I’m glad he wanted to fix it rather than just thow it away, but I still don’t know what I think about the situation.

• Beeker26 says:

I’m with you. While I’m happy Logitech provided excellent customer service I find it somewhat distressing that he was seeking something he didn’t really deserve. Why not offer to pay for the repair instead of insisting on a freebie, knowing that it’s out of warranty?

10. Ryan L says:

Logitech customer service is some of the best I’ve seen, I’m surprised this issue had to even go that far. I’ve had 2 experiences with Logitech, both were above and beyond… the most notable being when I stepped on the Harmony remote that I bought new off Craigslist and cracked the screen. I called just on the off chance they might help, and they didn’t even hesitate to send me a replacement.

I’m not usually surprised in cases like this though, if the company is truly interested in quality control (and Logitech definitely is), then it is in their best interest to get a failed device back into their hands so they can investigate, warranty or no warranty. More companies should follow suit, but sadly, I think few will.

11. dpeters11 says:

When I had a remote fail under warranty, they didn’t want the old one back. They did the same thing, told me to throw it away, but once the new one arrived.

I think the 50% off offer is fairly normal for them on out of warranty units.

12. infected says:

I don’t like this trend at all and I really wish you would quit supporting this behavior by reporting it. Emailing a company executive like a crybaby when you want something fixed outside of warranty is preposterous. The EECB and tactics should ONLY be used when a company is clearly in the wrong and normal methods of customer service have failed.

• shepd says:

• coren says:

Agree about the EECB, but I gotta disagree about him wanting it repaired – I may have glossed over it, but I don’t think anywhere does he want it done for free, just that the wants it repaired – in which case, his lack of current warranty should be irrelevant.

• Weekilter says:

Too bad you don’t like it. Yer not the president of the world.

13. uptown says:

Hands down, Logitech has been the most helpful company I’ve EVER dealt with when it comes to supporting their hardware. I continue to buy their products because of my experiences with their support when I have encountered a problem.

14. fredmertz says:

Harmony remotes are very cool and all, but I have experienced nothing but the worst build quality of their products across the board. From fritzy screens to broken motion detectors to remotes that don’t sit properly in the charging cradle to short-lived batteries. Do yourselves a favor and buy from Universal Remote Control (URC) — they make remotes that are tough as tanks.

• Bunnies Attack! says:

I just went through URC’s product list and went through a couple instruction manuals. These things don’t compare in ANY way to the ease and flexibility you have with Harmony remotes. They appear to work only slightly better than those $10 universal remotes you get in a blister pack at walmart.

15. elangomatt says:

I am really starting to get tired of these stories where someone has used a product until it breaks after the warranty period is over. Companies have a warranty period for a reason, so they don’t have to replace it after a certain period of use. Why do so many people think that they deserve special treatment when their device breaks after the warranty period? Quit bothering executives that undermine the rules they make for their support folks and buy a new freaking remote!

16. jayde_drag0n says:

What email address did he use?

17. pantheonoutcast says:

I wonder if Chuck’s glowing praise at the end of the post would have been as glowing if Logitech stuck by their guns and did not capitulate to his escalation. Would this article have instead read, “Logitech refuses to fix customer’s out of warranty remote”?

I guess what I’m saying is, the only reason Chuck is falling over himself praising Logitech is because he got what he wanted, even though the company owed him nothing. It IS a good plug for Logitech, and this article got me looking at their remotes, but I can’t help but be put off by this increasingly common attitude of, “I deserve it because I live and breathe, and I won’t back down until I get what’s coming to me, even if I don’t deserve it1″

• Brunette Bookworm says:

I agree. His remote was out of warranty, he used it for some amount of time after it failed, then decided he wanted it fixed. Logitech offered him a discount on a new one, which they didn’t even have to do, yet he still wanted the original one fixed. Did he pay to have it fixed or did they do it for free? If it was free then I’m really annoyed by emailing executives just to get what you want. It’s fine when the company isn’t following through on their own policies or warranties but to use it when you just WANT something is abusing it. Eventually all that use will make the EECB worhtless for people who really do need help getting a company to do what it should.

18. RvLeshrac says:

Can you people please stop making the cost of electronics rise with your ridiculous out-of-warranty repair requests? You understand that the shipping and LCD repair cost them more than the new device, right? And that when I go to buy a device from Logitech, I’m paying for the stupid decision to repair it?

19. DanGarion says:

So wait, it was out of warranty, and they actually offered him one for 50% off and that wasn’t good enough? Really?