Man Seals Self Inside Foreclosed Home

Now we finally understand the secrets of the pharoahs: a bunch of angry people in Stony Ridge, Ohio have sealed up a home with the homeowner inside, with his permission, leaving only a golf ball-sized hole in the front door. The man, Keith Sadler, says he fell behind last year after paying on his mortgage for 12 years, and that his bank promised to work with him but instead proceeded with foreclosure.

From the Toledo Blade:

Through an agreement with the Wood County Sheriff’s Office, he was to have been out of the house on U.S. 20 in Stony Ridge by midnight yesterday, but instead, members of the Toledo Foreclosure Defense League, an organization he co-founded, helped seal him inside. A cell phone – and the hole in the front window – are his only means of communication.

Sadler says he wants the bank to work with him, not take his house away. The Sheriff says he has to enforce the law regardless of personal feelings, so he will eventually have to “go there and take possession.”

Sadler and his pals are webcasting from within the house, if you’re bored at work and need some random video footage to watch.

“Man seals self inside foreclosed residence” [Toledo Blade] (Thanks to PJ!)

Comments

1. phil says:

Jim Traficant had a different approach to this. Also in Ohio, but in another era…

2. varro says:

The worst part about this isn’t that it’s a large bank who foreclosed on him.

Any chance of him rallying people to pay off the house? And does Ohio have a right of redemption?

3. FatLynn says:

If he’s been paying it for 12 years, that means he actually has some equity in the house. No wonder the bank would be quick to foreclose; they may be able to sell it for more than he owes.

On the flip side, he should have been able to re-fi, no?

• rugman11 says:

The article says the bank bought the house for $33,333. Probably not a whole lot of equity there. The question I have is, assuming he didn’t extract any equity during the bubble, how high is his mortgage? It can’t be that expensive for a house that cheap.

• FatLynn says:

The article is confusing. It makes it sound as though State Bank bought the house at a foreclosure sale, but also that State Bank was the mortgage holder. I don’t really understand the sequence of events, so it is hard to say who is in the right, here.

• rugman11 says:

The bank that buys the home at foreclosure is typically the mortgage holder. I just need more information in this case to know whether or not to feel bad for the guy. Based on the current value of the home and the length of time he’s owned it, I can’t imagine him paying more than $50,000-$75,000 on the house which would put his mortgage payment somewhere between $400 and $600, which is not unreasonable for someone who is working (which he has been doing since January at least). Hell, cutting the cell phone and internet would probably net him $100/month. There are a lot of variables in stories like these and, while his story seems reasonable, I would still want more info.

• b.k. says:

There are plenty of reasons why someone with a job could get behind on payments, even ones that may seem affordable. The number one thing I can think of is medical expenses.

Also there’s this part of the story “said he made his mortgage payments for 12 years after buying the house from his father but fell behind last year after he was off work from Dana Corp. for medical reasons.”

• JuliB says:

12 years means a lot of interest paid, not all that much principal. I’ve been paying on mine 12 years – bought before the local ‘boom’ and now the prices have declined so as to almost cut into my equity.

• Akuma X says:

I watched a couple of videos on the Ustream site. The guys initial mortgage was $50,000, he then took out an equity loan for $33,000. In total he now owes about $88,000. So his mortgage is probably around $600 a month. In the video I see at least 4 people of working age, maybe 5 with the guy that runs the camera setup. Between them you mean to say they can’t make $600 a month. Keep in mind at least one is paying a cell phone bill and a Broadband connection. Also, Sadler says that in October of last year he bought a building to run this organization, the Toledo Foreclosure Defense League, so where did he get that money? I feel bad that Sadler lost his job and all but a lot of things here aren’t adding up.

• rivetkitten says:

He did attempt to refinance. He was negotiating with his bank, but then the mortgage got sold to a different bank, which promptly foreclosed on the property.

• pot_roast says:

I’ve been trying to get an FHA streamline refi done. I just don’t have the $4,000 in closing costs, thanks to medical bills draining me dry.

FHA streamline refis used to be MUCh easier. Now they’re a pain in the ass too. So, it’s likely that this guy is running into the same hurdles.

4. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Why go in there? Shut off the sewer line(not the water) and the power. After awhile the Hydrogen Sulfide and heat will make a potent knock out gas. Just watch the webcam and wait to hear the “thump”, and then use Batterin’ Betty.

• EtherealFlame says:

Yea but if there is no power there won’t be any web cam, unless hes got one hell of a back up power supply unit. I would think the battery in any laptop wouldn’t last till the point of unconsciousness. I could be wrong though.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Unless he has panels, they can cut his power. And if he does have panels, I suggest The Sheriff take a lesson from the Matrix.

5. lehrdude says:

I hope he didn’t seal himself inside the wrong house…

Hey! Regular people can make mistakes too!!!

6. Admiral_John says:

I clicked on the webstream long enough to hear someone off-camera say to the homeowner (I assume it was the homeowner, anyway) “it’s the borrower’s responsibility to read and understand the papers they’re signing to enter into a mortgage”, to which he replied “yeah, but the papers are so full of legalese who can understand it?”

A lawyer can, that’s who… which is why, when you buy a house, you should have an attorney.

• qwickone says:

concur

• Mecharine says:

How much does it cost to have a lawyer do that?

• FatLynn says:

You can get a lawyer to do a standard closing for less than $500.

• Admiral_John says:

Lawyers can be expensive, but it’s something you should definitely have if you’re buying property. It should be a planned expense, just like a home inspection.

• Karita says:

Not much. Here in CT, anywhere between $300 and $700 – a bargain when closings tend to take many hours of work. And not a whole lot when you are committing yourself to a very significant purchase.

In fact, banks here will not permit a closing without an attorney. Cash deals can be done without one – but then you don’t have the whole mortgage mess to worry about.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

my closing attorney’s fees just under a year ago were $350

• Traveshamockery says:

“yeah, but the papers are so full of legalese who can understand it?”

Let me translate that: I’m ignorant, so the bank should accommodate my willful lack of knowledge.

If there wasn’t all that legalese in there, a person with this kind of logic would be the first to take advantage of any loophole they could find in the contract.

7. Kid Awesome says:

Well he can still pay for a cell phone and internet service, so clearly he has his priorities straight.

Quickest items to be cut from my budget should I need to save money:

1) cable/Internet
    2) cell phone
    3) any and all other just for fun/entertainment funds

• EtherealFlame says:

Exactly. This is why I chose non-contractual services for my cell phone and internet. I’m a single mom and if I get into a tight spot, I know I can cancel everything until I can afford it again. I can make that 120$ feed the three of us for a whole month if I have to.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yep, that’s what i did too. i’m not a single parent and i have a good job now but it’s a holdover from the days where i would have to say ‘just not going to have a phone until the next payday, oh well’
        i got to liking not having to worry if something happens i know i can just let my service expire without worrying about an ETF or mandatory minimums

• EtherealFlame says:

I have a decent paying job but hell like most Americans now days, I don’t bank on it being there tomorrow. One day these fortune cookie lotto numbers will pay off for me DAMN IT!!!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That’s exactly why I got a prepaid cell. If something happens and I can’t afford my phone anymore, I can let the landline go and still afford the cheap cell. Also, it goes everywhere with me in case I have to move.

• leastcmplicated says:

cutting all of those things out wouldn’t even touch my mortgage payment

• Tom Foolery says:

But in this case, with an original balance of $50k, it would probably make quite a large dent. $100 per month for internet and cable, and (let’s be conservative) $100 per month for cell phone and entertainment, and you’re probably talking a third of the guy’s monthly mortgage payment.

8. MrBounce says:

The house cost $33,333?
    And he’s been paying for 12 years… yikes, just how much was the mortgage?

Also, he got behind on payments, but they have a computer + webcam + pay for a net connection?

• Myotheralt says:

Shit, even paying $350 a month, over 12 years, that comes to about $50,400. Even counting interest, he shouldnt have much remaining.

• Tom Foolery says:

$33k left after 12 years on a $50k, 30 year mortgage sounds about right– maybe better than average. The early years of your mortgage you pay more interest than principal, and towards the end you pay more principal than interest. 7% of the original balance is a lot more than 7% of the balance after 29 years have passed. At a very rough estimate, maybe $50-100 of a $350 monthly mortgage payment would go towards paying down principal for the first few years of the loan.

• satoru says:

That’s how much the bank bought the house at the auction, after the foreclosure process. It’s not clear how much the original mortgage was worth from the article

9. Skellbasher says:

This is a interesting case.

Here’s a man that purchased the home 12 years ago. He seems to have gotten a normal mortgage, not an ARM, and paid on it reliably for that same 12 year period.

He wasn’t bamboozled by someone putting him into an ARM that had skyrocketing payments after a short period. He wasn’t given a mortgage that he couldn’t afford. He wasn’t a victim of a collapsing housing market that put him upside down on his mortgage.

He’s having problems because he lost his job.

The loan modification programs are intended to assist those that were screwed over in the subprime categories, not those that had a normal mortgage and just can no longer afford it.

I have sympathy with the man that he lost his job, but selling the home that he MUST have some equity in over 12 years was an option he could have pursued once he realized his outlook for making his scheduled payments was not good.

Also, complaining about the paperwork is kind of a crutch in my opinion. The loan paperwork is simple. You agree to pay X amount of dollars per month for Y timeframe. If you don’t, the bank can take the home back. The bank did not do anything outside the provisions of a normal mortgage contract.

Now, as much as I hate the banks, and their general attitude, I see nothing wrong with them following the terms of the mortgage contract as this man agreed to.

• PunditGuy says:

> Also, complaining about the paperwork is kind of a crutch in my opinion.

You spend the first half of your post talking about people who were “bamboozled,” but doesn’t your paperwork crutch apply to them as well? I had an ARM, I knew what the terms were, and I refinanced to a 30-year fixed well before the rate on my ARM adjusted.

Either everyone who’s in a bad spot deserves to be helped, or nobody does. The reason for loan modification program isn’t to help people who were “screwed” by subprime lenders — it’s to keep housing prices from further tanking by keeping marginal cases off the market.

• Skellbasher says:

When I was mortgage shopping during the subprime heyday, I was presented with more than one set of paperwork for what I thought was 30 year fixed, but was actually an ARM. I knew what I was looking at, and it was occasionally tricky to catch.

When I say ‘bamboozled’, I mean people that weren’t told what the differences were between and ARM and fixed, those that had their income falsified to get them approved for loans they would never get otherwise, things like that. There is a burden on the purchaser to know what you’re signing, and you make a valid point that they should have known. However, there were too many folks (mortgage brokers in particular) who made it their job to trick people into signing something that was false to begin with, and there should be a corresponding burden of honesty on those offering things to be signed. When I closed on my home, they explained EVERY form at closing, stopping if I had even the slightest question to make sure I was clear on it.

People that were lied to or otherwise dealt with dishonestly deserve help. Those that weren’t should be held to the terms of their contract.

• bdgbill says:

“Either everyone who’s in a bad spot deserves to be helped, or nobody does.”

Really?

So someone who got into trouble by continually taking out home equity loans to buy things like Jet Ski’s and plasma T.V.’s is just as deserving of help as someone who fell behind on their payments due to being laid off or a medical problem?

I knew many people in Florida who were living like millionaires on 80k per year in income. This lifestyle was based on the fantasy that their homes would continue to appreciate at 30% per year forever.

These people had their fun and now it’s time to pay the piper. I certainly do not think they are entitled to any of my money to dig themselves out of the holes they dug for themselves.

• PunditGuy says:

Yeah, really. You’re not the mortgage morality police. Again, the purpose of these programs is to keep houses off the market, not to reward or punish behavior.

Personally, I think everyone who can’t pay for their house — no matter what the circumstance — should have it taken away. Apartment dwelling isn’t the end of the world. My house value will take a hit, but we’ll hit bottom and the market will correct.

• msbask says:

As a renter, this whole modification business just makes me shake my head.

I rent. If I don’t pay the rent, I get kicked out. Period. There is no “working with the bank”, there is no government mandate to modify my rent, there restructuring my rent to something I can afford, there is no help.

There’s “pay the rent” or “get out”.

• divedeep says:

Wow. A great post full of logic instead of straight-up bank/lawer/corporate america bashing. I like!

• Username says:

EXACTLY!!! Thank you for being the voice of reason. This is just another example of someone who decided to throw his hands up and wait for his bailout before he sacrificed anything else. He could have sold his house before it was foreclosed. He could have refinanced if it was too much for him. There is a lot of paperwork involved in keeping your house when you can’t pay for it, but I guess we all spend the time on things that matter most. March Madness must have been more important to him than saving his house. Locking himself inside the house is only going to make things worse for him.

Here is my prediction… Cops will bust down the door and this man and his crew will assault them. Then he will be carried off to jail for assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, and tresspassing. He won’t get too much jail time for that, but it will keep him from doing anything about the auctioning of his house for a fraction of its value and he will officially lose everything. Really stupid move on his part if you ask me…

• rivetkitten says:

“This is just another example of someone who decided to throw his hands up and wait for his bailout before he sacrificed anything else. He could have sold his house before it was foreclosed. He could have refinanced if it was too much for him.”

If you had looked for other sources of information besides this post and the linked Blade article, you would have found that Keith did try to refinance. He also tried to tap the government resources that were available to him at the time his house was foreclosed on. Both attempts failed, certainly not because he wasn’t trying hard enough.

“Here is my prediction… Cops will bust down the door and this man and his crew will assault them. Then he will be carried off to jail for assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, and tresspassing.”

He is perfectly aware of what legal risks he is taking, as are the other five activists locked down with him. It is a peaceful protest- the activists are unarmed. They will not be assaulting anybody. Their point is not to make the house an impenetrable fortress in which they can hide forever; their point is to make a statement about a system that has failed Keith and many, many other homeowners who are too resigned to their fates to take any action of their own. It is very likely that Keith will end up in jail. But then, that wouldn’t be the first time that he has gone to jail trying to save his home.

” He won’t get too much jail time for that, but it will keep him from doing anything about the auctioning of his house for a fraction of its value and he will officially lose everything. Really stupid move on his part if you ask me…”

His house has already been sold at auction. He went to the auction, holding a sign asking bidders to not steal his home. That was the first time he was arrested during this whole debacle. And as I said before, he is more than ready to go back if necessary.

• Karita says:

Not to nitpick, but as an attorney who represents a lot of people in foreclosure, I’d like to mention that the modification programs are helping out a lot of people who had “traditional” mortgages but then lost the ability to pay. They aren’t designed just for people who had nasty ARMs. Actually, I can’t think of any client in the past year who got in trouble that way. All my clients lost their jobs or had massive pay cuts. And so far, thanks to modifications, I haven’t had a client put out on the street. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

• Skellbasher says:

That’s interesting to hear. My understanding of the loan modification programs was that they weren’t for that purpose, but I’ll obvious defer to someone who deals with it for a living.

• Karita says:

I don’t think they were initially designed for everyone, but then banks started realizing it looks bad to be kicking people out who did everything right except get laid off. The ARMs set the problem in motion, but the fallout hit everyone. And it’s cheaper for the banks to take in less money per month, but still get something, than to have a lot of bad loans and vacant houses on their books.

I am surprised this particular guy let it get so far. I’ve found it has been getting easier to deal with the banks lately. And there are so many nonprofits, low-cost and pro bono attorneys out there that it always bugs me when someone lets it get as far as this guy did. If you get foreclosure papers served on you, you should at least file an appearance and try to do something about it. Of course, I don’t know what this guy did or didn’t do, but the bare facts make it seem that he was in a position where he should have been offered alternatives if he did what he was supposed to do.

• RvLeshrac says:

He’s been paying for 13 years on a $33k home. Why would the bank work with him when they can just take the money they’ve already gotten from him, which is far more than the value of the house and the prevailing interest rate, *AND* the house?

• MrEvil says:

Actually some mortgage servicers have been pulling that exact same crap. Only to a much stronger degree. Like magically losing entire payments, or processing your payment after the due date in order to class it as late. Then dinging your credit report with late payment marks when you attempt to refi. It happened to my dad, and some friends of mine. Look up Fairbanks Capital.

• Tom Foolery says:

Modification programs have been around long before the sub prime crisis, for both prime and sub prime mortgages. The difference now– especially since the administration’s HAMP program came out– is that lenders are much more likely to be willing to lower interest rates and payments than they used to.

I work in prime loss mit for a major mortgage servicing company, after working for the same company in sub prime collections. This is entirely subjective, but it seems to me like there are actually more programs and options for prime than for sub primem, and have been for the past few years.

• kylere1 says:

Even paying an extra 10% each month means that at 12 years my current 7 year old mortgage will still be underwater in 5 more years. (yes, math is hard, bought for 80 (valued at 90) currently worth 23 and I owe 56.

Implying that someone MUST have equity after 12 years is foolish.

• Skellbasher says:

Assuming that all homes would lose 75% of their value in 7 years is also foolish.

• jefeloco says:

Um, have you looked at certain housing markets lately? In some areas homes have lost significantly more than 75% of their value, it varies at the state, city, and community level.

• Skellbasher says:

Well, considering that in 2009, the worst housing market in the US was Detroit, MI at a -36.8% decline, I think that -75% is a stretch.

10. FatLynn says:

Also, it’s nice that he doesn’t like “touting the Obama plan”, even though he admits it would help him. Bigot.

• Putts says:

Yeah, because if somebody doesn’t agree with a president’s policies, that automatically makes them a bigot, right?

• FatLynn says:

No, but it does when he says that the plan will help him and he doesn’t like supporting it because it came from Obama.

• Skellbasher says:

You have no idea why he doesn’t like Obama’s policies. For all you know, politics could be the only factor.

There’s no inclination that race was a factor, and you’re doing a poor job by even bringing it into the discussion.

• FatLynn says:

The guy says, “I hate touting the Obama plan, but it’s a good plan”. He is specifically saying that he DOES like the policy.

• nbs2 says:

Ok….and I’m still missing the connection from that to “I don’t like Obama because he’s black.”

I didn’t vote for Obama. In fact, I refused to even look at his platform, voting history, or statements before making that decision. Are you going to call me a a bigot?

Did I mention that I hate Joe Biden with a passion? That I don’t start my in depth research until VPs are picked and conventions are held? Are you going to reconsider my bigotedness?

• domcolosi says:

I honestly don’t understand why this makes him a racist, though. Republican, yes, racist, no.

• Putts says:

It doesn’t take a Republican to hate Obama’s policies…I’m an independent and I think he’s a horrible president too. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. I would vote for somebody like Ken Blackwell in a heartbeat.

That having been said, this guy’s belief that he’s entitled to keep a house that he doesn’t own and hasn’t been paying for, simply because he’s lived in it for a while, is rather Obama-like.

• nbs2 says:

11. Platypi {Redacted} says:

Kind of reminiscent of Stephen King’s Bachman book, Roadwork: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadwork

Different causes, but the sheriff might want to check for explosives!

12. Ben Popken says:

Looks like a 12 Monkeys meeting.

13. divedeep says:

Does this guy truly believe that holing himself up in this house is going to make any sort of a difference? Sorry but the sheriff will be forced to enforce the court’s judgment and remove him from the property.

The bright side for this guy is that he may not have to pay anything back to the bank if he has some equity (or if Ohio is a non-recourse state). Same can’t be said for a lot of folks who are being foreclosed upon nowadays.

14. pb5000 says:

This house is about 10 minutes from me, how in the world did I not hear of this until now?

• notovny says:

The Toledo Blade does have its own full-content RSS Feed. That’s How I learned about it.

• pb5000 says:

Yeah, I have that on my RSS reader, I follow them on twitter, I even get the Blade home delivery. I guess I just live under a rock sometimes.

15. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Are they sure this is not another misguided attempt by our friends at BoA.

16. Observer2121 says:

Since when did robbing banks become ok? That’s what this guy is doing, he went to a bank took their money and now doesn’t want to pay it back as promised. If I were the bank I’d do more than take back the house, I’d want to break his legs.

17. feistydonut says:

My best friend is getting foreclosed on. The mortgage is with Chase and her and her husband can call twice in one day and get 2 different stories. The phone reps are condescending and rude a lot of the times. They moved out and are renting now and still have no idea what’s going on with the house (almost a year later), Chase contradicts itself way too much to know and sends them mail all the time saying one thing and then a letter days letter saying to disregard the previous letter. I fully believe that people such as this guy are having a hard time getting a loan modification. I keep telling her to rip up the drywall and make it more expensive for them to foreclose than to have modified the loan.

18. theSuperman says:

They were just on MSNBC. Some technical difficulties came up and I guess they cut him off for a few seconds (I had the feed up Live on my computer and it stuttered there too).

19. truthandjustice says:

Welcome to the parallel universe of DETRIMENTAL RELIANCE.

Having worked with many closing attorneys and the Office of Comptroller of Currencies, it is a FALLACY to say the closing attorney is looking out for the buyer’s interests. He or she is NOT. Closing attorneys are looking out for the lender, and satisfying the legal, deeding, recordation, title, taxation, details. They are typically NOT there on the buyer’s behalf, although the buyer pays the closing attorney fee. Welcome to the parallel universe of DETRIMENTAL RELIANCE. You pay and think some practitioner is looking out for YOUR Interests, but they are NOT.

Even the regional director (Atlanta) of the Office of Thrift Supervision admits even THEY cannot understand much of the paperwork and regulations THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SUPERVISING!!!!!!!!

• satoru says:

Thanks for using ALL CAPS. It makes your point so much more relevant :P

What exactly is your point though? You claim that the closing lawyer is not working in the buyer’s best interest. Yet assuming you had a lawyer that was ‘looking out for your interests’, how would the outcome be different? Unless the buyer is actively involved mentally, and is engaged in trying to understand things, a typical lawyer isn’t going to do anything other than look over the document and make sure there aren’t any gigantic glaring mines.

Remember even predatory lenders just sold people regular loans, so there’s nothing in the loan documents that’s going to raise a red flag. The circumstances around the actual application and the reasons for the loan might be sketchy, but that’s not actually documented anywhere. The only fraud you can point to is the annual or monthly salary amounts that might be documented. Again is a lawyer even going to bother questioning this? Unless you look like a homeless bum they certainly have no idea how much you make. Even if they ask, people are so apathetic they probably would have just said yes, just like how they just signed stuff without asking. You are actually allowed to ask questions, if you don’t that’s not the lender’s or the lawyer’s fault. It’s yours.

20. leavethegun-takethecannoli says:

So, let me get this straight- State Bank owns the home, and Bank of America wants it, so Bank of America now has its executives sealed inside the house with a webcam? Where’s the homeowner in all of this? Is the Sherriff siding with BofA or State?

21. rivetkitten says:

For those of you who are asking about Keith’s current situation: I suggest you try doing a simple Google search on his name. You’ll find that he’s been actively trying to prevent the foreclosure on and sale of his home for over a year. He did attempt to refinance his mortgage; he did seek assistance from the government; he did try to bring his situation, and the situation of entirely too many homeowners in Northwest Ohio and the rest of America, to the attention of his local politicians. The Ohio senate has been sitting on HR 3 for the past year. That bill would enact a state-wide moratorium on foreclosures for homeowners making at least half of their monthly mortgage payment.

Keith’s intent with this action is not to save his home. This is not about Keith. This is about homeowners all over the nation who are getting screwed over by the system. Keith has said that if the Sheriff decides to declare a moratorium on enforcing eviction orders for foreclosed homes, as has been done before in Michigan, he and the other five activists in the house will immediately come out peacefully. And if the Sheriff decides against it, which it seems he has, then Keith, the other activists in the home, and the activists lending support from outside will do their very best to raise awareness of the foreclosure epidemic.

The plan is working, too. The longer the Sheriff waits to enforce the eviction order that was written for May 3, the more the press are going to latch onto this story. At the press conference on Sunday, there were representatives from only two local television news stations. On Monday, the three major local networks all ran multiple stories, the two local newspapers each ran stories, it was posted on the first page of MichaelMoore.com, and the story was picked up by the AP. Today, Keith was on MSNBC and his story is here. The word is spreading. Perhaps Keith will inspire others to fight against the system that isn’t working, or perhaps he won’t. Either way, by the time the Sheriff enforces the eviction order, the entire world will be watching. Keith has already won.

22. MichiganWolverine says:

Number one, housing in Toledo market is CHEAP. Anything over $100k is big money.
    Two, If he got behind on payments, the bank can stop accepting payments and require payment in full. Then go to foreclosure. So lets say he lost his job last year and got three payments behind. He then gets a job in January. He does not get to “make up” the payments. He is in default.
    Three, he should let the house go. Its not worth it. I think he is doing it over sentimentality. People need to stop their emotional attachment to inantimate objects like a house.

23. DigitalShawn says:

That asshole kicked me out for asking why people enter into 30 year contracts when they have no idea what the future can hold.

Fuck him. Stony Ridge is 2 trailer parks, with like 5 house around, like losing that dump is a loss.

24. Admiral_John says:

I watched some of the webstream last night and had the homeowner answer a couple of my questions…

1) I asked him how far behind he was when the foreclosure was initiated: 4 months.
    2) I asked him if he pursued a loan modification: He said yes but was denied because his debt-to-income ratio was too high.
    3) I asked how much time passed between the initiation of the foreclosure and the sale, he said a bit more than a year; he received foreclosure notification in January 2009 and the house was recently sold.

25. Costner says:

So instead of putting on a nice shirt and tie and hitting the streets in search of gainful employment, he thinks his destiny is to break the law by refusing to vacate a property. That makes perfect sense…. oh but none of this is his fault at all right?

He didn’t have a problem with the mortgage agreement or the lender for the first 12 years of living in the home, and now that he lost his job it suddenly is their fault or the contract was too confusing or it isn’t fair? I fail to have any sympathy here.

He has broadband Internet service, he has cable television, he has a nice laptop – but he doesn’t have enough money to pay his mortgage. Doesn’t exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out his priorities probably are not exactly in order.

26. devilsadvocate says: