Hey, Corvette Owners, Your Roofs May Fly Off

If you’re a Corvette owner who really, really likes to feel the wind in your hair as you drive, you may not want to partake in a recall that prevents roofs from flying off as you speed down the highway.

AOL reports Corvette and Corvette Z06 models from 2005 to 2007 are affected. From the AOL story:

NHTSA’s Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) says the following:

“The adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate. If there is a partial separation, the driver may notice one or more symptoms, such as a snapping noise when driving over bumps, wind noise, poor roof panel fit, roof panel movement / bounce when a door or hate is closed, or a water leak in the headliner.”

If you own one of the Corvettes in question, you can call 1-800-630-2438 or visit gmownercenter.com. And lend me some money.

Chevy Issues Recall For Corvette Roof Problem [AOL]
(Thanks, NORMLgirl!)

Comments

1. temporaryscars says:

Serves them right. Corvettes are pure garbage.

• ExtraCelestial says:

My Malibu Barbie has some choice words for you.

• tbax929 says:

They deserve to have their roofs fly off because they bought a Corvette. Wow.

• temporaryscars says:

Yup, in the same way that if you eat McDonalds, you deserve to be on the toilet all afternoon. Just deserts.

• tbax929 says:

What does the desert have to do with this? I guess people stupid enough to buy Toyotas deserve to have their accelerator lock up and people who buy Chef Boyardee deserve to receive moldy food. You really don’t know what this site is about, do you?

• Quake 'n' Shake says:

Really? A base-model Corvette is easily the best “bang for your buck” when purchasing a performance vehicle. It’s horsepower, torque and handling is superior to about 99% of anything you’ll see on the road, though that percentage will drop if you live in Scottsdale, Boca Raton or Huntingdon Beach.
      For just under $50k, you get a RWD performance car that puts out 430HP and 424 ft-lbs of torque. That’s a good value, for those looking to purchase a performance car. And much of their quality issues that plagued them in the 80′s and 90′s are gone. This problem is rather unique, and from GM’s point of view, disturbing when you consider the progress they’ve made.

What I see is that you simply don’t like Corvettes. That’s okay, I don’t either. I’m not a fan of their styling, and frankly, I’d rather buy a Cadillac. But don’t confuse your opinion of a car for fact.

• temporaryscars says:

I agree that the engine itself is solid, it’s just a shame that they feel the need to cover it with 90% plastic. There are better cars in the same price range, or for just a few thousand more.

• temporaryscars says:

Quick example: a Porsche Cayman can be had for around the $50,000 mark and is leaps and bounds a much better car.

• Chmeeee says:

A base Corvette will wipe the floor with a Cayman for a price that’s about 10% less. Handling is about equal and the difference in power is hilarious.

• admiral_stabbin says:

GM quality problems still exist. My family and I own a few GM cars, and they all have issues.
        That being said, we’re probably a bit more tolerant than most of car issues. Of the cars that we have owned presently (and previously), there have been many others less reliable than the GM cars.

Concrete examples may help make my point about GM? Agreed.

I had the rear brake pads replaced on my 2005 Cadillac STS about a month ago (they were down to

I learned this past weekend that my mother had her rear brake pads replaced on her 2005 Chevy Malibu @ ~40,000 miles. Her car has had a new steering rack, and major suspension parts replaced. She bought the car brand new. The first time I rode in it, the back of the passenger seat fell off. That was @ 806 miles.

Don’t get me started about the troubles of the cooling system on my step-father’s SSR.

Maybe they put all of their quality control capability into the Chevy Aveo or something. :-)

• admiral_stabbin says:

Apparently, the use of the “less than” symbol in your comments will cause you to lose a bunch of text. :-(

What was chopped off is that those brake pads were @ 20,000 miles, the drivers door handle was replaced at 16,000 miles, the seats squeak, the climate control system rips arse when it switches between fresh air and recirc., and so on. None of those are show stoppers for me, but you expect a bit better on a car that carried an MSRP of greater than $60K.

• admiral_stabbin says:

I have to disagree on this one. While I agree that they don’t carry the best fit & finish (esp. in the interior), they do have an impressive drive train.

I think if they spent a bit more time testing the adhesives they used to build the car, and less time putting a stupid window on the hood so folks can the see top of the supercharger, then things would have turned out much better for everyone.

I’m going to guess you and I are two people that will likely never buy a Corvette. ;-)

2. Traveshamockery says:

It’s not a problem…it’s a feature!

“Hey tailgater, THINK FAST!”

3. shoelace414 says:

Also corvette owners…

Sorry about your penis.

4. Emperor Norton I says:

Maybe that’s why I saw a guy driving a Vette in Chicago last Thursday with the top down in 40 degree weather!

• Orv says:

Nah, I get that. My feeling is always that I didn’t buy a convertible so I could drive it with the top *up*. I’m the guy driving down the road with the top down, windows up, and heat on when it’s 50 degrees out. I’ve also been known to drive through rain showers with the top down. (If you drive fast enough you don’t get wet.)

5. blogger X says:

“And lend me some money.”

I would but not even $600 in book vouchers will cover textbook costs in the spring semester. I guess I’ll have to spend my spring break in Nevada to pay the difference…

6. MyTQuinn says:

If it weren’t for the safety aspect of this story I would really be bothered to know that my second-hand news was coming from firsst-hand AOL (or is it “Aol” now?).

As an aside, the auto-correct feature on my Droids made it difficult to enter the now-correct capitalization of Aol.

7. theblackdog says:

Actually, I kind of hope this happened to the dicksmack of a band teacher that I knew when I was in college. He was teaching at the HS level, and brought over some equipment for a band competition held at the college. Of course, he brought it in his Corvette. He sat there and spent time freaking out at how careful we had to be that none of the equipment touched his car as we pulled it out of the trunk.

Come to think of it, I wonder how he was able to afford a Corvette on a HS teacher’s salary…

• MrWilly says:

I’m more inclined to wonder how in the hell he got a bunch of band equipment into a ‘vette in the first place.

Also, Corvettes haven’t been cool since the beginning of the 80′s. Just for the record. :)

8. Orv says:

Reminds me of the time I saw the sunroof fly off a car on the road. I think it was a Probe. I saw the guy reach up to open the sunroof, and then the tempered glass panel suddenly lept straight up about three feet and came down behind the car. When it hit the pavement it instantly disintegrated in that way tempered glass does when it gets a sharp blow edge-on.

9. jesusofcool says:

This reminds me of one of my favorite family stories…when I was a kid we had an 80s era Cadillac with a fabric roof. Driving down the highway on a family vacation down South, the roof flew off the car and into the woods. We went back to find it but never found it.

10. fpage77 says:

How do you close a emotion?

“hate”