Greyhound Refunds Would-Be Traveler It Stood Up

Miriam wanted to take the Greyhound bus on a trip, but it was Greyhound that took her for a ride, refusing for several weeks to refund her ticket, offering only a voucher.

Then a magical thing happened. Miriam complained to us, we posted her story and Greyhound put Miriam’s refund on the express train. She writes:

I’d like to stay positive – but the fact that it required an internet article a month after the fact to get a refund for horrible service and a horrible response to customer complaints still ensures that I will not be traveling with Greyhound again. The existence of watchgroups like Consumerist is essential to ensuring that consumers are treated fairly.

Count this as a happy ending for Miriam, but too little, too late for Greyhound.

Comments

1. aka_mich says:

With as common as these things are becoming at what point would the common sense argument be for business’ to just have decent customer service to avoid these issues from going public all the time. It’s like they’re purposefully just lining up to get the bad attention and then coming back and fixing the problem when the spotlight is on them, wrong approach morons.

• sleze69 says:

There would have to be a business case analysis for each company that would way the potential cost (PR, etc) of a complaint making it on these websites to the total cost of competent customer service. I would bet for most companies, it is still cheaper to take a few occasional bruises on this website than to pay to adequately train and empower their telephone monkeys.

2. eccsame says:

This is exactly why I think “The Consumerist” needs a forum that goes beyond the comments area. While it’s great that there are the dozen or so articles every day that help people (like Miriam), I’m certain that there are dozens more that are sent in by readers that don’t end up posted on the site and won’t see any kind of satisfactory conclusion.

• tbax929 says:

I agree. But would companies be so responsive to something posted on a Consumerist forum? I think it’s the articles that get the attention.

• floraposte says:

Agreed. It’s resolved because of the high visibility of the front page, not the mere inclusion within the site.

• smirkette says:

Maybe if there was some kind of Complaints for Consumerist form (that required account authentication & complaint story to cut down on some of the spammers) that could use calculate which companies are getting reported by readers the most? There would have to be some kind of vetting process to keep the scammers down, but there could be a weekly (or monthly, depending upon traffic) update on which companies are pissing off the most Consumerist readers.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i agree with the other responders so far that it likely wouldn’t get the attention of the companies, but there might be a productive result from a discussion with people who previously resolved similar issues

3. ander_bobo says:

How about instead, they make the Boardmembers of Greyhound take a Greyhound bus from NY to LA, I’m sure things would change after that!

4. GMFish says:

Greyhound that took her for a ride

Actually my read of the original posting is that Greyhound failed to take her for a ride.

5. AJ_Syrinx says:

Too bad she went through this, but at least she got AMEX to stop payment on the charge AND got a refund from Greyhound.

6. FatLynn says:

I’m confused. I thought she had already done the chargeback. Did she get additional compensation from Greyhound?

7. jayde_drag0n says:

Question.. why isn’t there any other company than Greyhound for bus service??

• ben says:
    • Etoiles says:

Because Greyhound bought out or otherwise controls many of them. Peter Pan and Bonanza, in the northeast, are interchangeable with Greyhound now. Have been for several years.

Though BoltBus and MegaBus have sprung up to service the BOS/NYC/WAS routes, which are popular and lucrative. So have some various Chinatown-based bus lines, some of which are shadier and more likely to get you on fire than others.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

a friend of mine recently did the chinatown bus thing from new york to cleveland. his write up of the experience [not public, so i will provide excerpts rather than a link] was very interesting.

“The seats were cramped and uncomfortable, and the bus rocked from side to side as it weaved through the busy traffic…… and we arrived in Pittsburgh at around one in the morning…… All official communication from this point on would be in Chinese. ……The yelling man pointed several times at me. “Pittsburgh!” I responded, pointing to myself, “Cleveland!””
        …..
        “I woke up as another disembarkation began. I looked out, and we were in a truck stop parking lot. Just about everyone seemed to be getting off. I bleared groggily at the woman fellow traveler who kindly let us know, “Changing bus. Everyone off.” …… As I grabbed our suitcases, I saw that we were not changing buses. We were getting onto vans.””
        ……
        “”Cleveland?” “Cleveland.” “Asia Plaza?” “Asia Plaza.” With pointing and nodding, we got steered to our unmarked gray 10-passenger van. We squeezed into the back seat, and swayed sleepily down the highway, with the unused seat-belts clattering against the walls and windows. The polite lady next to us told us, “Asia Plaza: Last stop.””
        ………
        “Three nights later, we did the whole thing in reverse. We waited at Asia Plaza in the night until the van arrived, and for the next 30 minutes, we watched in growing disbelief as we made more and more stops and more and more nondescript truck stops and gas stations and grocery stores, picking up one or two more passengers, until 14 or 16 paying customers were wedged into every available space, and the van lurched onto the interstate for the last 30 minute dash. We got to the truck stop in Youngstown, boarded the bus, which was already partially full. We made several more stops, picking up more passengers until every seat was full, including one stop around two in the morning for over half an hour, waiting for another van to arrive.”

… he wasn’t upset by the experience but mostly very very tired. it was apparently quite interesting

• mrs.bunnykins says:

Bolt bus is owned by Greyhound…

8. tehcanuckian says:

i didnt have any trouble at all getting refunded by greyhound the time they stranded me in Saratoga Springs for an entire weekend with no place to sleep.

9. mrs.bunnykins says:

I would just like to say at least she got someone to recognize her issue. I was on a Greyhound that BLEW UP, yes, as in EXPLODED.

We were forced to sit on the highway for hours in the summer sun with no shade or anything and waited to be transported to a station and sit there for several more hours. What was usually a 3 hour ride was 8 hours, and we received NO compensation (or refund), and when I tried calling they would not even return my calls.

I filed an incident report about lost items due to the fire, and was never contacted or reimbursed for my lost items either.

I will never take a Greyhound again, ever. I also deter anyone from using their services.

10. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Maybe it was a Christmas miracle…

I second the happy ending…we should all wish for happy endings

11. MikeJ says:

This article from the Onion sums up Greyhound to a T, and i guarantee anybody who has ever traveled with them will agree. It’s sad but true!