SNL Mocks iPhone Reception

Saturday Night Live’s Weekend Update this Saturday took a headline about the potential Google phone and turned it into a potshot against the iPhone. And it made the children laugh.

[via Gizmodo]

Comments

1. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Yay!

I have my fingers crossed hoping the next SNL also makes fun of Monster Cable and Bose products too…the unholy trinity!

2. eccsame says:

The buried lead here is that SNL made someone laugh.

3. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Oh, snap!
    pfftt…pfffttt….. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Perfect presentation. Thanks for the morning laugh!

4. metsarethe... says:

I thought that this skit

5. andyross says:

Maybe also a joke that the iPhone (and many of these phones) are becoming hard to use as a phone as all the other features seem to take precedence.

6. Lauchlin says:

I’ve never had any problems with my iPhone. Then again, I’m not with AT&T.

Blaming the phone for the carrier’s problems seems silly.

• logicalnoise says:

I have no problem blaming apple for their idiotic addiction to one idiot ISP when they could sell phones through many idiot ISPs.

• Lauchlin says:

They do work with other carriers in other countries, and I’m sure that they will in the US as soon as the terms of their contract with AT&T allow them to.

Anyway, my point is just that the iPhone itself works fine. Blaming the phone for dropping calls is like blaming your car for traffic jams.

• tbax929 says:

If you can only use said phone on one really shitty network, that is definitely Apple’s fault. Your analogy doesn’t work because I can take my car on any road I choose.

• Lauchlin says:

Actually, you can only take roads that are available to you. The fact that there’s a better managed highway in Germany doesn’t help you get around if you live in the US. The fact that other carriers supposedly have better networks doesn’t help you if you have an iPhone. In both cases you are limited by circumstances. It’s not the car’s fault if the roads you can use are gridlocked, and it’s not the phone’s fault if the network you can use is busy and drops your calls.

Anyway, Apple having an exclusive relationship in the US with a bad carrier is not the same thing as the phone being broken. Saying “Apple made a stupid decision” and “the iPhone doesn’t work” are two very different things.

• nofelix says:

It’s more like blaming your car that was advertised as being better than other cars but actually only runs on certain roads, and these roads are all filled with other drivers of this damned car.

7. RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

I can make phone calls with my iPhone just fine. Never had a problem, really. I have more of an issue with the stupid auto-correct. *shrug*

8. saifrc says:

I enjoyed the sketch, even though I don’t have a lot of problems with my iPhone. (I get excellent 3G AT&T coverage around the Chicago area.) But my priorities are different from the average cell phone user’s priorities — the one feature I care about the *least* in any handset choice is the ability to place and receive voice calls.

I hate talking on the phone! I only got a cell phone originally because it was a requirement of my position, and I have a cell phone now because it’s socially necessary. But no matter what people say about the iPhone’s reliability or AT&T’s network coverage, I get great HSDPA access in the 200 square miles that matter the most to me, for the telecom activities that matter most to me: web surfing, media streaming, and other non-voice mobile communications. Oh, and when I have to make a voice call, it usually works — even when I don’t want to take the call…

9. Daemon Xar says:

Clip’s dead.

10. MooseOfReason says:

Video in the post was taken down, so here’s a clip from Hulu (it goes directly to the iPhone joke):

11. Lucky225 says: