Sonic Manager Arrested For Cooking Meth At Work

Last week, police arrested a shift manager at a Sonic in Cape Girardeau, MO–it’s about halfway between St. Louis and Memphis, TN–after they found him with a big pile of meth supplies in the restaurant. According to Slashfood, he’d come back after the place was closed and tripped the burglar alarm. When police showed up at 1:57 AM they found the man in his Sonic uniform “allegedly attempting to whip up a batch of meth.”

The restaurant was closed the next day for cleaning, but it’s now open for business again.

By the way, if you’re planning on visiting a Sonic today, please don’t confuse an officer with a Sonic employee and try to hand her a $20 bill repeatedly. The officer will not let it slide just because you’re high out of your mind.

“Sonic Manager Arrested on Charges of Cooking Meth at Restaurant” [Slashfood]
“Woman mistakes officer for Sonic waiter, faces DUI” [Southeast Missourian]

Comments

1. MostlyHarmless says:

*sigh* If only all drug related stories ended this hilariously. Thanks, Requiem for a Dream, for taking all fun out of my drug jokes.

2. detox98 says:

I want to know if he was wearing roller skates when they caught him.

3. technoluster says:

This happened about a half a mile from my office….
    Sonics in this area are thought of as “trashy.” This certainly did not help their image.

• Jfielder says:

Since they are so new here, Sonics are considered high dining in the Detroit area… 4 hour waits…. seriously….

• technoluster says:

Oh wow…..
        That’s how everything “new” in a place is. Popeye’s Chicken was the same way here about a year ago.

• Chinchillazilla says:

Versailles, Kentucky. Waffle House. Couldn’t get in for at least a year.

When I did get in, I was like… wait, why, again?

• Syncop8d1 says:

I remember when there was over an hour wait for Krispy Kreme in various Southern California locations (e.g., Long Beach) several years ago.

4. grantjaynes says:

I actually work at a hospital just down the road from that exact Sonic restaurant. The local health department made the store close down for several days and clean the place up. They had to throw out everything that couldn’t be cleaned. It was observed by several people that no one made the employees wear gloves during the cleanup. further exposing them to the harmful chemical remnants.

5. Jfielder says:

Anyone else read that as “Burger Alarm”? For a short moment I was thinking “OOOOH, I want a burger alarm!!”.

6. PunditGuy says:

Cape Girardeau is also known as the birthplace of Rush Limbaugh.

No editorial comment intended; ’tis merely an attempt at geographical edification.

• From the cubicle of PGibbons says:

Yup, another famous drug abuser. Good ole boys moving on from prescription drug abuse to meth there, eh? Must be the results of the economic policies brother Rush has championed all these years. Irony, or just sad fact?

• Trai_Dep says:

His maid shuffles out on his orders to score his Oxycotin and his short-order chef jaunts out to cook his meth. It’s only a matter of time until his gardner steps forward to admit growing his weed. And his nanny to confess procuring his lithesome – albeit alarmingly lacking signs of post-pubertal characteristics – personal swimsuit masseuses from the Dominican Republic.

But hey, you immoral, latté-sipping coastal elites, SHAME on you for not buying a Christmas tree at Wal-Mart!

• KathleemB says:

IIRC, the levy along the river has his picture painted on it. All the HIstoric Preservation seniors were planning to spray paint ‘Go Left, Young Man’ over his face one year as a graduation prank. Never happened, but fun to contemplate.

• varro says:

I assume the picture was on the outside of the levee, not the inside?

I would have loved to see the picture on the inside….right after a rainstorm and sewage outflow.

7. idontknow82 says:

Thats funny, the residue left on the cooker will give them some interesting burger condiment.

8. Murph1908 says:

Dude either watched too much, or not enough, Breaking Bad.

• Jfielder says:

Oh, if only this happened at a Pollo Loco restaurant….

• u1itn0w2day says:

That’s why just the concept of that show makes me nervous. But I would hope anyone busy enough scarfing up meth supplies is too busy to work and bake at the sametime.

The scary part is that this was a shift manager. There less than a year. Should we blame this on being under paid and over worked? Or just another CRIMINAL who happend to be working as a shift manager.

9. HIV 2 Elway says:

Only in Missoura…

• redskull says:

“It’ll be a cold day in hell before I recognize Missourah!”

• PunditGuy says:

I interned at the state capitol, and it was some idiotic rule that you had to refer to it as “Missoura” on the chamber floor. That wasn’t the only thing backward about the place.

• AlfredaCosta says:

I worked at the State Capitol for a few years–it wasn’t a rule, it’s just how certain out state reps liked to refer to the state. They feel it makes them sound more down home/in touch with the rural areas.

Those in the cities always referred to it as “Missour-ee”

10. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

When can we post movies/clips?! This is what I think of when I hear meth:

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I gotta tell ya, I have mixed feelings about having a poptastic jingle in that ad. The song makes me want to laugh but the visuals make me feel like an ass for wanting to laugh.

11. FCBLComish says:

There is some irony in the location (Cape Girardeau) and the drug issue.

Does Rush Limbaugh own this Sonic Franchise?

• From the cubicle of PGibbons says:

Probably not, but I’ll bet he’ll be making a few more stops to feed his ‘craving’ at that restarant when he visits his hometown. In the video I’ve seen from his show he seems to move around like he’s high on meth. And come to think of it, his ranting is about as sensible as a typical methhead.

12. Ronin Democrat says:

I was putting in overtime……. what’s the problem???

13. HogwartsProfessor says:

*HUGE eye roll* Wow they’re making us look better and better each day…

• korybing says:

Jeeze, no kidding. Every time Missouri hits the news it’s always for something high class like this. I think Missouri found out that other states were vying for our “Meth Capital of the USA” title and is stepping up.

• Trai_Dep says:

It could be worse. You could be Mississippi.

14. korybing says:

Keep it classy, Missouri.

Some day I would really love a “Town in Missouri that’s not Kansas City or St. Louis does something that isn’t related to meth or other embarrassing activities” story. Just to shake things up.

15. From the cubicle of PGibbons says:

That seems pretty early. Doesn’t the meth taste like they cooked it hours before when they open for the breakfast rush?

16. elenamb says:

As someone from Illinois (45 miles from Cape)

it would be…:(

17. KathleemB says:

Ah, Cape Girardeau, how I do not miss you at all. Except Broussards, they have (had?) some really great cajun food.

18. MrEvil says:

Meth is hugely popular in Missouri thanks in part to terrain making it easy to hide labs. The Warsaw Missouri city attorney got caught a few years back with a methlab out in the woods. When you have heavy forestation along with often impassable terrain it makes law enforcement’s job that much more difficult. My sister’s father in law is a deputy sheriff, and in the middle of the Ozarks it’s nigh impossible to find a meth lab without the chemists getting sloppy.

19. Timbojones says:

One day for cleaning? I guess this guy didn’t have the time to make very much meth. My mother’s old boss owned an apartment complex about 10 years ago where a tenant got busted for running a meth lab. He had to completely strip that apartment and rebuild it, down to the subfloor.

• Boogaloo2 says:

This is EXACTLY what I said to my sister-in-law when she sent me this story last week. They live in Cape Girardeau and I told her to never, ever eat there if all they did was have the restaurant workers “clean up.” Meth labs are supposed to be treated as hazmat areas and cleaned up by highly trained teams – some buildings can never be used again.

20. Boogaloo2 says:

I had never heard of crystal meth until my brother & sister-in-law moved to Cape Girardeau almost 11 years ago. They learned quickly what a huge problem it was there – yet most of my nieces’ friends aren’t allowed to read Harry Potter because it’s “satanic.” Go figure!

21. magic8ball says:

My first thought was, “It’s because of people like this that I can no longer buy Sudafed off the shelf.” Sadly, my next thought was, “My nose is stuffy, I wonder if he has any Sudafed left over …”

22. EvilTapioca says:

The first day I worked at the sonic in my area the General Manager was trying to sell customers & employees discount cards. Then the grill guy showed the night shift manager one card that still had pill dust on it,obviously from the GM since he’s the one who had the cards.I didn’t work there for very long.

23. flugennock says:

Day-AM. And I really dig Sonic’s burgers, too. The wife and I used to eat there a lot whenever we were in New Orleans for the Jazzfest.

Too bad the counter guy there wouldn’t offer to sell me a lid of weed with my burger then; I’m just not into meth.

24. MrHacks says:

Sadly, as a Missourian, John Edwards was right when he said their are two Americas. As and added corollary, there are two Missouris. Urban Missouri (Kansas City, St. Louis) and Rural Missouri (Springfield, Branson, Cape Girardeau).

This is Rural “red state” Missouri as how the rest of the world perceives it. The kind that swoons over Sarah Palin. The kind that is proud to have Rush Limbaugh as a citizen even though he’s a complete moron. The kind that is home to trailer parks, Jeeeesus!, and meth labs at the local Sonic Drive through.

This wouldn’t have happened in St. Louis. *lights up a joint*

25. Bob the Builder says:

If they only knew the amount of drugs that went through the Sonics that I worked at in one town. I worked for Sonic for 5 years, and even with these stores being some of the top 10 Sonics in the nation (and supposedly some of the cleanest), everyone from the general managers on down were constantly high like none other. This really isn’t surprising.