Whew: Coke Products Return To Costco On Monday

The nightmare is over for Americans who use warehouse club Costco to fuel their copious Coke habits. The retailer and Coca-Cola have settled their price differences, and Coca-Cola beverages will return to Costco stores on Monday.

“We can confirm that Coca-Cola products will continue to be listed at Costco,” Coca-Cola spokesman Scott Williamson said. “Our program aligns Coca-Cola’s brand and package offerings with the needs of Costco’s members in a way that is fair and equitable for both Costco and Coca-Cola.”

Costco serves both consumers and smaller retailers, who use the store for buying in bulk. The holidays are important for Coca-Cola because it’s a staple at many events, parties and family gatherings.

That’s good. Warehouse club shoppers were beginning to suffer dangerously low blood high fructose corn syrup levels.

Coke returns to Costco next week [Atlanta Journal-Constitution]

PREVIOUSLY:
Costco Bans Coca-Cola

Comments

1. HogwartsProfessor says:

OOH! I want one of those round Coke bottles!!!

2. umbriago says:

Muy bien, pero nunca salió de México Coca-Cola.

3. tripnman says:

The photo of the “ornament” Coke is awesome – looks like a little HFCS grenade. Boom goes your blood sugar!

• Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

I’ve figured it out – HFCS is bad, unless it comes in ornament form.

If that’s the case – drink up, fuckers!!

4. Starphantom12 says:

I’m going to miss the snarky note my local Costco had posted to explain the lack of Coke products. Mexicoke will make up for my loss.

5. Chinchillazilla says:

The holidays are important for Coca-Cola because they put Santa and polar bears on their packaging, which probably increases profits a lot right before Christmas.

Disclaimer: I’m totally drinking a can of Coke with Santa on it right now. Marketing works on me.

6. Blueskylaw says:

Why can’t these people talk in plain english?

“Coca-Cola products will continue to be listed at Costco” = Costco will sell Coke again.

““Our program aligns Coca-Cola’s brand and package offerings with the needs of Costco’s members in a way that is fair and equitable for both Costco and Coca-Cola.” = Costco wanted cheaper prices, Coke said F U, Costco put them in a figure four leg-lock until Coke cried uncle.

• webweazel says:

Dammit! I was drinking something when I read your post.

You, sir, OWE ME A NEW KEYBOARD!

• NeverLetMeDown says:

“Costco wanted cheaper prices, Coke said F U, Costco put them in a figure four leg-lock until Coke cried uncle.”

Alternatively, “Coke wanted higher prices, Costco said F U, then Costco’s customers screamed bloody murder, and eventually Costco caved.”

Likely reality is somewhere between the two.

7. CompyPaq says:

From my experiences in vending machine sales, the wholesale price from Costco was lower than the price from Coke themselves. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

8. blogger X says:

Is it true that Costco sells Mexico Coke everywhere??? If so, there goes a portion of my paycheck…

• trujunglist says:

I dunno about everywhere, but certainly at the San Marcos Costco near me. Nothing beats the smooth mouth feel of that mexicoke. Takes me back to the days of ditching school and wandering around Nogales…

• bastion72 says:

They sell it in the Lewisville, TX location.

• vesper says:

I don’t know if all of them do, but if you cannot find MexiCoke at a Costco, try some indiscriminate partystore nearby as it seems to be a popular things these days. I buy my CanaCoke in Sarnia, Canada. CanaCoke is also made with sugar and it is just as good and cheaper. The best Coke I’ve had is FrancoCoke. I bring back a case when I see friends in France and it is the absolute best.

9. ktjamm says:

And here I was hoping this was the beginning of the end for Coke

10. Patches O'Houlihan says:

It warms my heart that these two behemoth companies can get together on providing a beverage which contributes to obesity and the general dumbing down of humans. (please note the sarcasm) ;)

11. Shadowman615 says:

Whew. I don’t know how I was *ever* going to be able to manage drinking Pepsi products instead of Coke.

12. Fred E. says:

Same thing happened with Fresh Direct a few years ago. Coca-Cola must have won that one because when they started carrying Coke products again, the prices were much higher.

What has happened here in New York is that the bottles have been changing to 1.5 liters as well as getting more expensive than the 2 liter bottles’ cost, over the past few years, a double-hit on the consumer.

I would be interested to know if the bottle size has been moving to 1.5 liters in the rest of the country or if it is only the local bottler. If I remember correctly, the 1 liter bottle is standard in Europe and South America.

• Emperor Norton I says:

RC is using 1.5 liter bottles in the Chicago area. Menard’s of all places has been selling them 2 for a buck.

13. osiris73 says:

We don’t have a Costco in my area, but we do have Sam’s Club. Is it just in our area, or are the cola/soda prices at Sam’s always waaaay more money than at the local grocery store? I mean way more. If a 12 pack of diet coke is $2.50 at the grocery store, the same 12 pack is almost $4.00 at Sam’s. Lately they’ve started changing the packaging to 18 packs or 36 packs to make it more difficult for people to compare prices, but the price difference is still the same.
    Is this true elsewhere?

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Sam’s Club = Walmart.

’nuff said.

• scoosdad says:

It is true. Grocery stores frequently popular brand of soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi as “loss leaders”, that is, a product sold at their cost or lower, designed to draw people into the store. The theory is that once inside, they’ll make up for the loss on the Coke by buying other more profitable products once they’re there.

Outlets like Costco and Sam’s and BJ’s apparently don’t subscribe to the “loss leader” theory of retail and sell soft drinks at what they think will give them a fair profit margin.

14. ludwigk says:

when I saw this I immediately thought “oh, I wonder if they’re using a minimal 3D surface to save plastic”, until I someone else pointed out that it looks like a christmas ornament, and that its December, and that there are holidays…

15. LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

We’re missing the greater issue here: the caption on the pic-link says those are from 2007 and 2008. We must know if there is a 2009 version, where they can be found, and if they’re available in Canada!

16. parrotuya says:

No coke, pepsi! Cheese-burga, cheese-burga, cheese-burga!

17. kaceetheconsumer says:

I actually heard three separate conversations about it in Costco today. I hadn’t realized it was such a big deal. Oh well, those who were freaking can un-freak.

18. Clumber says:

Our CostCoke was gone during this time frame… I tried a regular coke in the meantime… yeeeeeeeeck! All acidy and harsh on the throat… I actually chose caffeine-withdrawal headaches over that crap. COSTCOKE RUN AFTER WORK! YIPPEE!! I foresee a very very difficult time getting to sleep tonight after a Mexican Coke binge