Baby Hammock Recalled After Two Deaths

Maybe those hamsters are okay, but these Amby Baby Motion hammock beds are not. Two infants have died–one in June, the other in August–from suffocation, prompting Amby Baby and the CPSC to issue a recall notice. You can make the hammock safe to use after repairing it with a free kit, which you can order directly from Amby Baby.

“Two babies die in infant hammocks, product recalled” [WalletPop]

Comments

1. Sockatume says:

Yeah, like I’m going to trust my child’s welfare to my ability to repair a potentially-deadly hammock.

• tbax929 says:

My thoughts exactly. The fact that there have been problems would mean that if I had one it’d be going in the trash.

2. SaraFimm says:

If I have trouble getting in/out of a hammock, I can certainly see how a baby might have problems.

Seriously, suffocating babies and children is a major issue. I’m sure there was testing to make this product safe, but like the problems with cars whose gas pedal gets stuck on fast sometimes it takes real world instances to find out what a product requires to make it absolutely safe.

3. barb95 says:

That thing looks scary!

• Wombatish says:

Lol, the hate on this thing is hilarious.

These are -super- common in Australia and Japan, and extremely safe. These are some of the only deaths or injuries that have ever been reported with them. Try saying that about any other crib… you can’t.

Just because you don’t understand something doesn’t make it evil. My step aunt and step uncle both slept in one and came out just fine, as did the rest of their family for many, many generations.

4. john says:

It is a shame that innocent children pay the price for stupid parents who buy junk like this. One look at that product and my initial reaction was, “I wouldn’t get that near a baby!”.

5. shepd says:

All aboard the chinese poison train!

6. Scoobatz says:

A hammock for a baby seems like such an awful idea. Loose fabric, non-rigid sides, and the lack of a harness system in a contraption designed to swing back and forth from side to side is a disaster waiting to happen. I can’t imagine how anyone could think this is a good idea. To make matters worse (well, technically, not worse) this hammock sells for $250! Good grief.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

The price alone would keep me away, if I had a baby or were going to get it as a gift. Gah.

• Wombatish says:

As my other comment says, these are extremely safe and these (extremely unfortunate) two deaths are some of the only complaints/injuries/deaths they’ve ever had reported.

These are common in Australia and Japan, and my grandfather’s second wife put both of their children in one.

There was a recall on many baby beds in Australia many years ago, and these were the only beds that were excluded due to their safety record.

I’m not usually one to put myself in danger of sounding like I’m schilling for a product (I’m not), but the outright blanket hating going on it the comments is laughable.

Just because you think a product “looks dangerous” doesn’t make it so.

7. cheezedawg says:

We actually bought one of these beds a year or two ago, and it did wonders for our child’s sleep for a good part of the first year of her life. It came highly recommended and it did what it claimed to do. It is very sturdy and I actually felt very comfortable with her sleeping in it.

Now obviously I wouldn’t use it again without getting the repair kit, but the beds are hardly junk.

8. cupcake_ninja says:

What would the repair kit fix anyway? The whole point of the hammock is to rock the baby to sleep, which is what caused the suffocations. So would the repair kit prevent it from rocking? If so, then what’s the point of that thing anyway?

According to their website, the repair kit will only be available in the US after Jan 2010. Health Canada is advising to disassemble the hammocks so they cannot be reused and no repair kits will be available in Canada. Makes you wonder just how safe the repair kit will be and how lax US safety standards really are…

• shepd says:

I’ve heard the US still sells baby walkers, if that gives you any indication…

• Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

I haven’t seen a walker in quite some time that actually lets the baby “walk” around. I had one with little wheels on the bottom for my kid, but I assumed that they were for making it easy for the grownups to move since it would have been impossible for baby to make the whole contraption move with her little legs. But maybe I just got a cheapo model.

9. EtherealFlame says:

HOLY MOTHER BOARDS BATMAN! People were putting their babies in that thing??! Looks more like a pinata then anything. Better hope the older kids don’t get any ideas. I could see so much potential for an older kid to do very bad things with this 250$ baby death trap. Twist it up and let it unravel violently fast. Take some scissors and snip through that thin netting. There goes the poor baby. I’m so glad my days of multiply are over with.

10. Tuuurd_Ferguson says:
  11. foodfeed says:

what an ugly piece of furniture.

12. kaceetheconsumer says:

Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems to me that there a lot of products out there these days that substitute for holding the child yourself. And I get that one needs to be able to put the baby down to be able to go to the bathroom, shower, eat, sleep, etc., but what’s wrong with a crib for sleep and another parent/caregiver (when available) when you need to shower? And for those times where you don’t want to put the baby to bed but you need to quickly pee, a safe place on a blanket on the floor is fine, or inside a box (as I’ve posted before: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kacee4/008-specialshipment.jpg ).

Your baby doesn’t want fancy hammocks, swings, bouncers, etc. They want a human to hold them as much as possible. Okay fine I get that some babies with special health conditions need to be kept more upright, but really, too many parents get suckered into buying too much crap they don’t need (and is clearly not very safe) when there are more simple things available like floors, blankets, boxes, human arms, and slings/carriers.

Also: your baby totally doesn’t care about decor. They’re just as happy to look at any set of blobby colours as the next one. Don’t buy expensive pretty things that will be outgrown soon…save your money for when the child actually starts to care about things like toys, books, etc. Same goes for sheets and clothes…baby barf looks the same on a 99 cent resale onesie as a $45 boutique one.

• cupcake_ninja says:

Actually, products such as this one is marketed to parents with colicky/reflux babies and babies who have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep, not as just a place to put the baby when you cannot hold them.

Babies with reflux are a LOT more comfortable when they sleep at an elevated angle to help keep acids down. Babies are also accustomed to 9 months of tight space in the womb, so simulating that outside of the womb is soothing, gives them security, and the motion also simulates the rocking motion the baby felt in the womb, which is part of the premise of this contraption. That’s not to say that products like this aren’t gimmicks preying on desperate parents eager to get more than 30 minutes of sleep at a time. The idea is decent, but again, like with many baby products, not well thought out and not well executed.

13. axiomatic says:

Is there something functionally wrong with the idea of a regular old bassinet? Why again do we need a baby hammock?

I’ll take “needlessly suspending your baby in the air” for $1000 Alex.

14. Schemer says:

I love that it takes 6-10 weeks to receive the repair kit. Why even bother? If they are like me, then most parents rely on the swing for calming a baby, nap time or just to baby catch and get a break for a little bit. I could not go 6-10 weeks without a swing and would end up buying something else; thus rendering the Amby completely useless because if I have a swing and an Amby, I’m going to choose the one least likely to smother my child, repair kit or not.

15. Islandkiwi says:

When we had our first child, she would not sleep lying down. She needed to be slightly upright, and more importantly, she needed motion. We purchased one of these and it was moderately successful. Because it stopped she’d wake up quicker, so for the first six months she slept in a Fisher Price Aquarium chair. Some babies are just hard to get to rest, and our pediatrician didn’t seem too shocked with our temporary solution.

I did like this product, but more for the jumper attachment you can get.