Does This Potty Seat Need An Extended Warranty?

Kelly just bought a plastic Baby Bjorn potty seat at Babies R Us. When the cashier rang it up, the system told her to ask Kelly if she’d like to pay another 30% of the purchase price for a service plan.

Kelly writes, “It’s molded plastic that cost me less than $20 and they wanted another $5.99 to protect it. I think you can see from the picture why this was so silly.”

Comments

1. GreatWhiteNorth says:

If they are going to come empty and clean it then buy the extended service plan… WooooHooooo no more potty cleanup!

2. JRules says:

I was at radio shack and they asked me if I wanted to buy the 1 year or 2 year plan on a $18 flash card reader… I said no.

3. 2 replies says:

Some kids crap bullets.

4. TBGBoodler says:

This happened to me at Toys R Us last week! I was buying a Fisher Price Little People set and the cashier asked if I wanted to purchase a $2.99 replacement policy.

After I laughed (and said, “No thank you,” she apologized and said they HAVE to ask for every purchase.

• scouts honor says:

@TBGBoodler: That’s a shame they make the cashiers do that. It’s bad enough to have to deal with difficult customers even if you’re competent at your job. It’s certainly more difficult to do so when your boss requires you to make inane and ridiculous upsells.

• ophmarketing says:

@TBGBoodler: My favorite Toys ‘R’ Us “did you really have to ask that” question was when I was buying a box of pull-ups sized for a 2-year-old and the cashier asked me if I got the item off a baby shower registry.

• magic8ball says:

@ophmarketing: Ha. I bought a 20 oz. bottle of Mountain Dew at Babies R Us – it was the only thing I bought – and the cashier asked me if it was from a baby registry. Really.

• Scoobatz says:

@TBGBoodler: Holy crap. I had to check if I wrote this. I had the same experience with the same product at Toys-R-Us last Friday.

5. dbshaw says:

“Hello, I need to get my potty replaced… yeah, un-huh… No there is shit all over it. Hello?”

6. jaya9581 says:

Many potty seats include electronics and movable parts and are $30-40, which is why they offer the warranty. It covers “potty seats,” not “potty seats with the exclusion of the Baby Bjorn seat.”

Yes, it’s a little silly, but the register doesn’t know the difference and the cashier must ask.

7. zandar says:

You know Babies R Us, they always aim to please.

8. SteveBMD says:

I don’t know about you, but I know I’ve destroyed more than a few toilet seats in my day. Of course, I’m a grown man, but I’ve seen some pretty explosive diarrhea in my kids, too. Does the extended warranty cover skidmarks?

9. amberlink says:

Yes, yes, it does. And while we’re at it, make sure the pull-ups are reusable and green. Before they become brown.

10. vastrightwing says:

Perhaps you’d like the in-home calibration?

11. vladthepaler says:

Take the warranty, bring it back a few days later and tell them the power cord fell off.

12. kathyl says:

I have that same one, the same color even! I have had it for about three years, and I can assure the OP that it has held up just fine. Good call on turning down the warranty.

(hee)

13. Joeb5 says:

just wait for the day they ask you for a extended service plan on a candy bar.

14. econobiker says:

Toys R Us asks the same thing of my children’s purchases.

Sure extended warranty on a box of cheap army toy soldiers…

15. thetango says:

Hmmm … getting the extended warranty clearly depends on how often Kelly is planning on pooping in it.

16. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

Whats funny is I was terrified of having to clean out our sons potty. But he never used it except to pee. I think the recording that played everytime he touched it scared him. Oh well potty training was faster!

17. Tnayen says:

Employee: Hello Sir/Madame, How can I help you today? I see from your receipt that you have a Toilet Extended Warranty with us, what appears to be the problem?

Customer: I’d like you to take this back, it didn’t work the last time we used it.

Employee: Please leave it in the garbage bag, I’ll take your word for it.

18. Nascar24Dude says:

@admiral_stabbin:
    Yeah, you’d just be whizzing money away.

19. zentex says:

@admiral_stabbin: might as well flush that $6 down the shitter

20. Traveshamockery says:

@admiral_stabbin: Everybody knows that extended warranties are crap.

21. SatisfriedCrustomer says:

@admiral_stabbin:
    I’m not going to stand for this.

22. dorianh49 says:

@pecan 3.14159265: Is there a lemonade clause?

23. Spaceman Bill Leah says:

@pecan 3.14159265: I bought a book and a sweater on Overstock yesterday and was asked for both if I wanted to purchase the extended warranty. My brother is rough on clothes but not that rough.

24. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

@pecan 3.14159265: I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if there is a good number of people who would finance $49 to get something right now they otherwise couldn’t afford.

25. Homerjay is utterly alone. says:

@SatisfriedCrustomer: Thats my favorite. :)