Vonage Reaches $3 Million Settlement With 32 States

If you had trouble canceling your Vonage account in recent years and ended up getting charged for services you didn’t want, you might be eligible for a refund under an agreement Vonage just made with the attorneys general of 32 states.

At issue were incentive programs Vonage offered to CSRs for retaining customers who called in to cancel. The CSRs were sometimes too eager to earn their bonuses, reports the Jacksonville Business Journal. As a result, “customers reported that cancellation was extremely difficult, and sometimes impossible.”

Vonage will also have to revise its marketing language to make the terms of any agreements clearer, especially with regard to any free services and the cost of any equipment.

Here are the states that are participating. If you’re located in one, and you think you might qualify for a refund, contact your state attorney general’s office.

In addition to Florida, the participating states are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

“Vonage in $3M settlement with 32 states” [Jacksonville Business Journal]

1. NotYou007 says:

When I tried to cancel they gave me two free months and then a crazy low rate for almost a year. I’ve been using Vonage for over three years now and have no complaints but for those that did have headaches hopefully a small check will help out.

2. LoadStar says:

Heh – I was excited for a minute… then realized that I couldn’t take advantage of this, because I’m perfectly happy as a current customer of Vonage, and have absolutely no plans to cancel anytime soon. Oh, well… at least I know that if the day ever comes that I have to cancel, I can do it with slightly less headache.

3. valthun says:

When I canceled they tried to get me to offer the account to a friend, since the “deal” I had was too good to cancel. I think that the guy asked me 12 times if I wanted to keep the account active.

4. screwywabbit says:

No California? That s*cks! :-(

5. Mike8813 says:

My experience cancelling my Vonage service was almost as bad as trying to cancel AOL. The CSR kept insisting that I was “making a mistake” and that she was doing me a favor by offering discounted service. It literally took 20 minutes of deflecting on my part to finally terminate service.

Having said that, I guess I don’t qualify for this settlement since I didn’t get a fraudulant charge after that. Shucks.

• Rachacha says:

@Mike8813: Same with me, until I mentioned that I was using the Vonage line as a second phone line to the house and I asked the CSR to look at my phone records for the previous year and she realized that I had only made one call in 12 months, at which point she lost most of her “selling points”.

6. aishel says:

I didn’t call to cancel, I called to see if they’d match Comcast’s $20/month plan. Not only are they matching it, they’re actually halving it, and now my monthly plan is $12.50/month. Pretty darn awesome :)

7. redqueenmeg says:

They sent me to collections instead of letting me cancel properly! I am so contacting my AG.

8. CaptainKidd says:

When I (first) tried to cancel, they offered me a two-month reduced payment plan to avoid a termination fee.

I called back two month’s later … the response? To paraphrase (and add sarcasm) “We have no such plan, you’re lying to get out of the termination fee, thanks for two more months of payment, and you still owe us the termination fee.”

That was after 30-45 minutes of holds (on both calls) to “talk with supervisors”, constant nagging to change to a cheaper plan, etc.

So, yeah, while I normally ignore these lawsuits, I think I’ll be contacting my state AG on this one. And then get my $0.30 of the settlement after the lawyers are paid and the pittance that is left is split among however many also go for it.