Family Kicked Off Flight For Misbehaving Kids, No Refund

An Arizona mom says she was flying to Billings, Montana for her birthday — but never got off the ground because the airline kicked her — and her unruly kids off the flight. They were told they could take another flight — if they paid for it. The airline says it’s their policy not to offer refunds.

Apparently, while still boarding their Allegiant Air flight, the woman’s 2-year-old started to cry. While she was trying to calm the toddler down, her 4 year old got “restless” and wouldn’t stay in his seat.

The airline removed the family from the plane and told them they could take another flight but neglected to mention at the time that this flight would cost $900 more. The airline says they will FedEx her luggage back from Montana (it was apparently behaving itself in the cargo hold,) and offered her a credit towards a future flight. She wants a refund.

Here’s the news report from 3TV in Phoenix:

Airline boots family for crying baby, no refund given [] (Thanks, Kym!)

1. hunter3742 says:

They offered credit for another flight. That’s good enough. They were perfectly withing their rights removing the family, and I’m certain everyone else on the flight was thankful.

Control your kids in public, people.

• ubermex says:

@hunter3742: A credit towards and a credit for are different. The credit is probably not the full price.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@hunter3742: That’s not the point. She didn’t get to go where she needed to go, and they never told her that the next flight out was not at a time anywhere near the time of her scheduled departure.

Kids cry. She was trying to control her kids, and keep them calm. Allegiant Air didn’t give her a chance to even make it work.

• cabjf says:

@hunter3742: Yes, because kids are just robots you can control with the touch of a button.

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

@cabjf: yours aren’t?

• sleze69 says:

@cabjf: Not with the touch of a button…but good parents either have control of their kids OR know that their kids won’t be able to cope with air travel (and don’t bring them).

• puddinhead says:

@sleze69: that’s what I love best about my 2 year old…she always behaves in exactly the same way, so I can totally predict her every move and emotion!

I can’t believe I wasted so much time asking other parents for advice when I should have just turned to those without children. They have all the answers!

• soundreasoning says:

@puddinhead: I have no kids, and I understand that kids can be hard to control sometimes, but my father always said, “If you want to have kids, you have to be ready to make scene” and by that he meant two things 1. You have to be ready for your kids to embarrass you and 2. you have to be ready to embarrass yourself and make that move of taking them out of the situation that is causing a problem if they don’t listen, basically you have to escalate, which can be embarrassing in public.

You see when you choose to have kids, its not the kids that are being embarrassing or cranky, its you in the plural, as a unit, including yourself. If the kids are out of control, then you, as a unit, are out of control, and you need to take care of it. It’s not the people around you’s problem if you can’t get your kid to behave reasonably in the relatively short window before take-off. Because, you see, the airline must by letting you stay when your kid is unruly, risk having that kid not calm down and be unruly for an entire flight. Sometimes that means making the hard call that you, as a unit, have to leave. And you who share in your child’s successes and failures even beyond your control, or your child’s control at times, need to deal with that.

• ktjamm says:

young children react to stress by crying, or fidgeting. they don’t have the restraints adults have put into place.

Children can be very well behaved 99% of the time, and STILL freak out because 1) it’s probably a completely unfamiliar experience to most young children 2) getting from the terminal to the plan can be rather harrowing at times for an adult 3) Airplane are full of loud noises, unfamiliar people, and lots of stress.

I’m very tired of people saying “Control your kids” because most people already do that very well. Children still are children. Stuff happens.

• soundreasoning says:

@ktjamm: No children should not break away from society, you just need to take responsibility for consequences associated with their actions. It’s very reasonable. I’m not saying it’s easy, it’s hard. That’s why I don’t have kids.

• shadowkahn says:

@ktjamm: Yeah, stuff happens. No one expects your children to be perfect all, or even most, of the time. However, we do expect that you, as the mature adult, recognize when you or your children are being rude and disturbing others. We also expect you to do something about it.

Too often we see parents who say “Well that’s just what kids do.” That’s true. That is what kids do. And the unsaid-but-implied message is “I chose to have these children, and you have to deal with being irritated by them.”

And that is where we part ways. You chose to have the children. If I wanted to be annoyed by constant screaming, crying, and running up and down, I would have had children myself. Society should not be inconvenienced by your choices. If you chose to have the kid, then you have to deal with the inconvenience of realizing that there are some things that you cannot do until the kid is old enough to handle it.

You’re entirely correct that young children can find airplanes a frightening and disturbing place. So, then, why are you putting your young children on that plane? Not only is the child’s misbehavior annoying us, but you are, by your own admission, willfully frightening the child because you do not wish to be inconvenienced by not going on the airplane.

• trujunglist says:

I disagree that most people do that well. Most people do not do that well. Do you know how often little kids nearly run into me while I am walking, or run around restaurants and supermarkets completely unsupervised? I’ve almost barreled over kids that were just wandering around apparently and for some reason would up directly in front of me with me having forward momentum and only an inch of room, if that, to stop myself from completely knocking them over. half the time the parents are nowhere to even be seen, let alone offer an apology for their kid. how about the 4 kids running around the pho restaurant screaming at the top of their lungs? my friend asked me “uhhh, where are the parents? those kids are out of control.” and I said “exactly, they’re enjoying their time off! screw everyone else in this place if they can get 30 minutes of peace.”
                that isn’t to say I don’t feel for parents in THIS type of situation, where she has 2 kids and is actively trying to do something about them. but fuck, saying that most people control their kids is total bullshit.

• ktjamm says:

@trujunglist: Those 4 screaming kids draw your focus from the 15 others at the restaurant you don’t see. It’s kind of like racism. You see some stories on the news, maybe even have a bad experience. Suddenly every ethnic person is bad.

I don’t let me kids run wild, and I notice when other parents do as well. But EVERYBODY notices when parents don’t do their job.

• lbell says:

I agree wholeheartedly. I believe the majority of parents don’t do their parenting job as well as they could/should. There’s too much of the old “that’s what boys do” or “they’re just kids, what do you expect?” used as an excuse for parents letting their kids do whatever they please. Any kid, boy or girl, will act like an animal if you let them and don’t give them any boundaries. So many parents feel their kids can do no wrong and expect everyone else to feel the same. It’s a shame, because it gives kids a bad rep, when it’s really the parents fault. 2 year olds do not know better, but their parents should!
                  To the actual subject of the article, I think they should have been offered a full refund, if only for public relations sake.

• gtrgod01 says:

@ktjamm: Your voice of reason will be forever lost in a sea of childless “parents” that all seem to know how an actual parent needs to control their child all the while never intending on having one themselves….and some of the excuses they give for not wanting kids are pretty f-ing retarded.

The amount of 20-something, self-centered, “I know everything because i just got out of college”, how dare you annoy me-ness of this site is really pretty thick at times.

• magstheaxe says:

@ktjamm: “So this is what I’m hearing – Those of us with young children should break from society and live in a cave while our young mature.”

I think it’s less that, and more “Those of us with young children should understand that once children enter our lives, our lifestyles change dramatically and our ability to do some of the things we used to becomes dramatically limited because those things are not necessarily in the best interests of our children. It behooves as parents to recognize that children are still children, and stuff happens, which means we can’t always control our kids. That means that for the sake of our children, we have to avoid situations full of loud noises, unfamiliar people, and lots of stress, since young children don’t have the restraints adults do, and are likely to react to that stress by crying or acting out.”

• Radi0logy says:

@soundreasoning: amen brotha

• shadowkahn says:

@puddinhead: We’re not telling you how to raise your children. We’re telling you that we are sure your children are lovely little creatures who will all be President one day, but for right now, they’re loud, screaming, obnoxious noisemakers and you do not have the right to inflict them on us. If children are, as you say, that uncontrollable, then they should not be stuck on an airplane. YOU chose to have the child. YOU should therefore bear the brunt of the inconveniences thereof, not us. If your kid can’t behave themselves on an airplane, then put them in your car and drive.

• Cupajo says:

@cabjf: The problem is that too many lazy parents use that “kid’s aren’t robots” line as justification for not f*cking disciplining them.

• vastrightwing says:

@cabjf: I nod my head in approval.

• zerj says:

You obviously don’t have kids :) I wouldn’t want to take my 2 and 4 yr old on a flight without my 2x parents. The problem for them is usually the 45 minutes sitting on the Tarmac. Letting people with parents board the plane first is probably the biggest mistake you could make.

• PermanentStar says:

“Letting people with parents board the plane first is probably the biggest mistake you could make.”

Not nitpicking grammar/typos here, as I could tell what you were trying to say, but the typo did make me smile b/c I was picturing a youngish adult with an unruly elderly couple in tow kicking and screaming and throwing their false teeth and walkers.

• kateblack says:

@hunter3742: I wish the news story had mentioned how long this went on and whether or not the cabin crew did anything to help calm the situation before putting them off the plane.

Without that kind of info, no one can form a valid opinion on this — they’d just be projecting bias from previous known cases.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@kateblack: The news story quoted her as saying that it was only a few minutes. There was no mention of whether a crew had tried to help, only a crew member approaching her and asking her to leave.

• DavidF says:

@kateblack: FINALLY a voice of reason! Well put!
        Damn people are so eager to jump on the bandwagon.. ANY bandwagon without knowing exactly what happened.
        Taking sides on something like this without knowing all the facts is idiotic.
        Some of you want to argue this way or that, but you weren’t there. You don’t know all the facts. All you know is what one story said.
        And you want to try to argue a side? Geez… morons.

• mm16424 says:

@hunter3742: Why is this a bad thing? A sterling example of an airline serving the needs of the many at the expense of one person who can’t control their kids.

We need family sections in restaurants and family only plans.

• RvLeshrac says:

Best food I’ve ever had in a restaurant was at a small place where the owner/chef didn’t allow children…

When I was a kid.

Why’d he let me eat there when he would throw out others? Because I sat there, behaved myself, ate what I ordered, and paid attention to what I was ordering so that I knew I’d eat it.

There’s nothing quite as irritating in a restaurant as seeing a family with monstrous little children who run around, complain about the food, refuse to eat anything, demand special service (off-menu items), etc.

Reminds me of that Cosby Show episode where Cliff took the kids to a fine-dining restaurant for burgers. Excepting that where the show had him graciously thanking the server for help trying to please the children and bowing out when it was obvious it wouldn’t work, reality usually has some entitled brats who whine about not getting what they want even after the server has tried as hard as they can to please.

That’s usually when I start feeling a little bad for their children. At least, I feel bad until one of them runs in front of me when I stand up to go to the restroom and cries when I trip over them like a yappy dog in the kitchen.

• carbonmade says:

@winstonthorne: Yes, I love how I can just unplug my child whenever we go out into that cramped, stuffy cabin of life. It’s so nice not bothering anyone.

• RayonFog says:

Right, because many here would have you believe that your kids are not in fact human beings. Kids do not have any rights and are expected to operate under the childless’ set of “rules” at all times.

• MikeGrenade says:

To everyone who says kids can’t be controlled, give them Dramamine. Whether they get motion sick or not. Dramamine knocks you out cold.

• Tallanvor says:

Damn right. I am sick and tired of people who think their kids should be able to cause problems for everyone around them.

Parents: if you can’t control your children, they’re too young to fly. There is absolutely no excuse for not doing something when a child is having a tantrum or otherwise misbehaving, and if you don’t understand why that makes other people upset, especially on a plane, you are, to put it politely, an idiot.

• EarlNowak says:

Have kids? They are unpredictable and don’t fly well? You don’t think they’ll be able to sit still for five hours and may cause an unsafe situation on a plane with hundreds of people on it?

• cranke says:

@hntr3742: Y my nt b 2 yrs ld nymr, r 4 yrs ld nymr… bt y’r stll dck.

• Blueskylaw says:

And the airline was certain the kids would not be crying on the next flight? At what point does it end?

For an airline industry that is hurting financially, they certainly have some assinine policies, and as someone that has flown dozens of times, there are certainly worse things that can happen to me than a crying child.

• theothered says:

It’s a mixed failure. Yes, the airline should remove unruly passengers no matter their age. But if they are willing to act within normal bounds, the Airline should then place them on the next available flight.

• milliebug says:

first off, the credit towards another flight should have been immediatly offered-if it was then it would have been made completely clear that the airlines did that when explaining things to her. Next, she should have recieved a warning, not just a boot. If you have 2 kids by yourself one is just kind of goofing off and the other is crying hysterically, your going to deal with the crying first-thats the most disruptive part during a flight- not a relativley quiet kid who wont buckle his seatbelt.if he was running up and down the aisles while people are trying to get settled thats one thing but if hes on the inside seat squirmming and not listening then thats completely different. I’ve been on flights where the flight attendant will offer assistance if they see a single parent struggling with the kids- sometimes its the please sit down and ill bring u a treat. be realistic people not all children behave-especially in busy environments. and that doesnt mean she wasnt trying to keep her kids in line either @hunter3742:

• 1kamaz says:

@hunter3742: @hunter3742:

People need to recognize that with choosing to have kids, they also chose to accept the responsibility for their behavior. An airline is a private business that presumably has the interests of its customers at heart. If you, as a parent, fail to control your child, even if you do your damndest, a private business is fully within its right to ask you to leave. It’s not like they were kicked off a public property, like a national park, that’s supported by their tax money. If I owned a restaurant, I wouldn’t think twice about showing people with unruly kids the door. Sure, I’d lose one customer, but the remaining people will remember and greatly appreciate your call. This is nothing to feel outraged or even surprised about. How many flights are there a day? I’m sure this type of thing happens more than once each and every single day. In a case like this you should feel lucky to get a refund.

• bebette says:

@ktjamm: Here’s the thing – I’m sure thousands of small children board planes and fly every day. Some behave well, others less so, and life goes on. Its actually rare that we hear of a situation so dire that the family is actually removed. Its not as if there’s some ban on children; I think this is reserved for special circumstances. And having seen more than one example of bad kids + bad parenting in my day, I don’t doubt it was deserved.

I appreciate all the parents who do control their kids, enforce behaviors, and keep them out of places where their presence is inappropriate. And I’m appalled at the ones who let their kids run wild through restaurants and public places making no effective effort to correct them. If you have ever worked in a retail environment, you are already painfully aware of the many parents who do nothing to stop a child from damaging property, endangering themselves and disrupting other customers. It happens all the time. And yes, if those bad parents and their hellions want to act out on my flight, kudos to the captain for putting them out.

• timsgm1418 says:

amen, why should all the other passengers, who paid for their ticket, have to put up with her bratty kids?@hunter3742:

2. craptastico says:

i love how they say “The airline says it’s their policy not to offer refunds”. how can they just claim that? maybe it’s my policy not to pay for anything. all that being said there’s got to be more to this unruliness to actually be removed from the plane. i’ve been pretty unruly myself and only been moved to another seat.

• zjmuse says:

@craptastico: haven’t heard of no refund tickets before? Usually they are the cheap tickets from cheap airlines (which sounds like the case here).

• floraposte says:

@craptastico: Heh. I’ve long been a bitter admirer of “policy” as a seemingly incontrovertible way of conveying your whim. “Why do you get to take everything out of my wallet?” “It’s our policy.”

• madanthony says:

I would imagine there is probably some sort of “terms of service” that one agrees to when they buy the tickets, which probably state, in 3 point legalese, that the airline can remove you and not refund your money.

It may or may not stand up in court, but in theory both parties have agreed to it, unlike your “I don’t pay for stuff” policy.

• dreamcatcher2 says:

@craptastico: When a droid quote a mindless policy at me, I’m always tempted to reply in kind: “It’s my policy to bill, and send to collections if necessary, for any failure to provide services as agreed upon.”

• Diningbadger says:

@craptastico: @hunter3742: I agree. She sounded completely irresponsible and immature in the interview. People like to think that her kids were just a tiny bit out of control….let me say, the airlines take a lot of shit about this but it takes a bit more than a crying kid and her brother in his seat for them to toss them off the plane.

She is part of what I call GENERATION STUPID!

3. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

She looks like she’s 16 O_o

If the airline feels like putting you off of your flight, they shouldn’t make you pay more for the other flight.

And what kind of a security breach letting the luggage go without the passengers!

4. gavni says:

How interesting that the airline kept this lady’s luggage in the hold after she was removed from the flight.

Isn’t this a very, very big security no-no? Isn’t Allegient in a lot more trouble for this than they would be just for being giant a–hats?

• winnabago says:

If it is done at the airline’s choosing, apparently the TSA is ok with it. The luggage has to be removed in cases where the passenger chooses to take a different flight or misses theirs of their own will. This doesn’t make sense to me, but it seems to be how it’s done. I don’t know what is correct in this case.

• s73v3r says:

@winnabago: It seems like it would be pretty easy for someone sinister to put a bag on the flight, get past security, then before boarding the plane, visit either the airport bar or duty free store, get drunk, and be kicked off for being unruly. Meanwhile, my bag is still on the flight, doing whatever I wanted it to do.

• sirwired says:

@gavni: Post-9/11 Bag-matching was only required before the TSA/Airlines implemented checked bag screening. Once checked baggage screening was put in place, bag matching was no longer required.

5. legwork says:

But that isn’t a real family. There’s no man.

(Yes, I think that should do it nicely.)

6. LaLindaSFO says:

I felt some sympathy for the mother until I watched the clip. She takes no responsibility for her kids’ behavior and has that off-putting sense of entitlement. They were kicked off the flight because the four year old wouldn’t stay in his seat. The airline was within its rights to remove them. Nonrefundable is nonrefundable.

7. winstonthorne says:

Attention all inconsiderate parents: keep your spawn in line. Those of us with whom you are sharing the cramped, stuffy cabin of life are not as charmed by the antics of your offspring as you seem to be. Thank you.

• craptastico says:

@winstonthorne: luckily you shouldn’t have to worry about this since i doubt you’ll ever find anyone willing to breed with you. believe it or not, kids act up some times. i’m sure you did when you were growing up.

• mxjohnson says:

@winstonthorne: I agree that the airline was right to kick them off when the kid refused to stay in his seat. Crediting her the amount she paid towards a future flight seems fair to me.

That said, the only people who have a right to be so nasty towards children those folks who were born full grown.

• admiral_stabbin says:

@winstonthorne: I was flying when I was four, and by that point I had learned that if I was told by my parents to stay in my seat…I stayed in that seat. I have an older brother, and he was perfectly capable of doing the same thing. Maybe we were just exceptionally well behaved children, but I have to seriously doubt that.

While it’s easy to make the claim that “kids will be kids”, the lack of journalistic integrity from the local news that aired this story makes it hard to do anything but guess (as another commenter has already mentioned). It tells one side of a story, and even showcases the local reporter trying to pull a “gotcha” on the airlines PR person. He was asking loaded questions in a snarky way. I don’t think that’s objective news reporting.

I hope this mommy finds someone to help her wrangle the youngsters into knowing that it’s not OK to misbehave in public places (which an airplane really is). I also hope she stops using the word “like” so frequently in her conversations.

It’s bad enough out there with adults that act like her kids…

• GearheadGeek says:

@admiral_stabbin: I think it comes from growing up when parents could smack a misbehaving child across the butt without worrying about CPS coming to take their kids away. Besides the threat of painful discipline, I had the feeling that if I didn’t behave in public, my parents would leave me at home. Home (on a rural farm, in the days before all the fun gadgets we have these days) was vastly less interesting.

• SybilDisobedience says:

@admiral_stabbin: Amen. My siblings and I were by no means perfect, but – especially when we were in public – we snapped to when our parents told us something. We sat in restaurants and ate like normal people. We filed onto planes and sat down quietly. We didn’t throw ourselves on the floor and have tantrums, or run through a restaurant shrieking and getting underfoot, or stand on the seat on the plane and scream until someone yelled at us. We were not angels. We were properly disciplined kids who had a healthy respect for authority and fear of consequences if we misbehaved.

• BadHairLife says:

@winstonthorne: Absolutely. There’s a huge difference between a kid who gets a little whiny, and a kid who won’t stay in the seat. If an adult refuses to stay in their seat, they get arrested. Violently. This was the appropriate solution.

8. MacMasterShane says:

There is no reason that everyone on a plane should suffer because a parent can’t handle their children.

the airline took the right action for the good of all other passengers, and potentially, the safety of the children.

if the parent can’t keep their children under control enough to handle a flight quietly, drive.

• Snullbug says:

@MacMasterShane: Bravo!

• tonalanswer says:

@MacMasterShane: Unless you’re talking about physical restraints and gagging, you can’t completely control children, especially in a confined area.

Any possible coaxing or bribing or conditioning you may attempt can not control completely in all situations unless they are physically restrained.

Lesson learned: if you can’t control your kids, they don’t deserve the ability to fly or travel internationally. In fact, you should be penalized for even thinking you could make it. It’s not about getting from one place to another in a shorter time, it’s about comfort and silence…

9. your new nemesis says:

Why can’t airlines and airports offer the parents of young children the ability the step off the plane for 5-10 minutes? Seems like a better alternative than just booting them off for usually short lived child issues. After that, if the kids can’t be controlled, then they miss the flight.
    For the record, I have no kids and really don’t even like them, with no plans on having them.
    Also, I liked how they called a roaming 4 year old a “security risk.” Safety; yes, security; no.

• Franklin Comes Alive! says:

@skizsrodt: Why should everyone else be delayed *at least* 5-10 minutes because someone’s kids are out of control?

• Itsatrap says:

@Franklin Comes Alive!: @cowboyesfan: @dantsea: This wouldn’t necessarily delay the plane – it would depend how close they were to actually leaving the gate. It takes time to fully board the plane and then more time before the plane actually pulls away.

• your new nemesis says:

@Itsatrap: Thats what I was trying to get at, and according to the rules, if someone is kicked off the plane their luggage is supposed to go with them. I’ve been on many flights and probably wouldn’t have even noticed if it took a few more minutes to depart.

• dantsea says:

@skizsrodt: But the airline’s allowing them to step off the plane, permanently. Sounds perfectly accommodating to me!

• ascen says:

@skizsrodt: I disagree for several reasons:
      1) 5-10 minutes x 200 people is a huge amount of time lost, alone my time is expensive, my clients time is expensive, my rate of $300/h means just a 10 minute delay costs me money. Sure, I am on the high end of the scale, but multiply the time across all people.

2) 10 Minutes could mean a missed connecting flight

3) 5 Minutes can easily mean a flight misses it’s window. I have been on a flight that missed it’s window because of another passenger and been stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours, unable to offload because all the gates were full. This 2 hours then meant the flight was 2 hours late for the following 6 flights thus meaning a potential 1400 (7 x 200) people being delayed by 2 hours, missed connections etc. The person was booed.

4) A flight window lost can result in the airline company being fined and charged huge amounts of money – in the tens of thousands.

5) Flight windows are tight, a plane over heavy used airspace needs to firstly be authorised by the local airspace for a window, then all other airspaces that they traverse though. So, miss the planned window, all following airspace windows need to be recalculated and scheduled. This could mean slightly different routes, which in turn cost money for more petrol. Some of the big planes cost $5000 in petrol to do a full circle just waiting to land. I have been on 14 hour flights that has not been able to depart because airspace on the other side of the world has been full!

The airline did right, I only wish they do it more often, not necessarily for youngsters but anyone that causes delays.

10. Scribblenerd says:

Are there NO parents on this blog??? May you all have twins!

“Keep your spawn in line”? Really? May you have triplets!

And may they all be just like you!

11. fosterb says:

Is it really such a big deal to provide a cash refund?

12. ct_price says:

I think some consumers need to realize that marketers must protect their brand and may be willing to risk destroying their relationship with you in order to preserve the loyalty of others. A terrible flying experience could be more financially devastating than removing the hindrance and dealing with a firestorm of bad PR. I own a business and know that I would rather lose you as customer than anger 100 others whose business I may also lose.

13. Vanilla5 says:

I think a lot of this depends on the level of “unrulyness” that these kids were at. 2-year-olds cry and 4-year-olds can be difficult to wrangle and I think there is an expected range of age-related behavior that one would expect from a child when on a plane. However, if these kids crossed that line and were out of hand, then I think the airline was right in this case.

I was on a plane to Boston a couple of weeks ago and on one side of the aisle was a lady and her husband, on the other side were their 3 kids – all under the age of 11 or so. The parents completely ignored their yelling, seat-kicking, punching each other, and other ridiculous behavior. This should have been put in check by the parents, and if they didn’t – by the flight attendant.

My brother and I were not “perfect” children (as there is no such thing), but my relatives are quick to tell us how well-behaved we were growing up and I definitely have to thank my parents for that. It’s not impossible to keep them in line. There’s a time and a place to be loud and energetic – a plane ride from AZ to MT is not that time nor that place.

• 2 replies says:

@Vanilla5: “I think there is an expected range of age-related behavior that one would expect from a child when on a plane.”

IMPO, I totally disagree.
      I say, while in public (and especially on a plane), parents should be telling their kids to be on their ABSOLUTE BEST behavior and KEEPING them on it.
      The entitlement complex parents have annoys the hell out of me.
      Poping out a kid doesn’t give anyone more rights over others, it ONLY means they have more RESPONSIBILITY.
      And in this case, the woman failed in her responsibility. It’s not the airline’s responsibility or place to parent her kids. Neither should she be expecting others to put up with the results of her lack of parental responsibility (unruly children).

I’ve seen parents rile their children up while waiting at the terminal saying “Are you ready to ride on the plane!? It’s like a roller-coaster! Ain’t you Excited!?”
      Then go to feed their kid the McDonalds tarmac food. All resulting in a kid that was not only bouncing off the walls and running around the terminal, but also acting like the flight was going to be some sort of party.

Plane trips are not meant to be a form of entertainment.

And many people expect children to be curious. To try to make anything and everything into a game. To play with anything and everything as if it were a toy.
      While this may be acceptable at their home or on a playground, a plane is neither of these things. What if during this ‘acceptable’ behavior the kid decides to play with that cool emergency door latch?
      It needs to be pointed out that there are A LOT of things that a kid can get into on a plane that could cause problems. Not only for himself and the other passengers, but also possibly for future passengers. For example, what if while playing the kid decides to stick gum in the crack for the emergency oxygen mask panel?

We’ve got to remember that even though decades have gone by since plane/jet travel was first introduced, and even though it has improved as a form of travel over those decades, flying is STILL dangerous.

A plane is not romper-room.
      Strap your kids in and keep them on their BEST behavior.

We expect nothing less of the other travelers, so why should parents get carte-blanche for their kids just because of their kid’s age?

• Vanilla5 says:

@2 replies by: Uh…we’re actually on the same page. By “expected range of age-related behavior”, I mean more that you’re going to expect a 2 or 4-year-old to be fussy or scared or giggly or playful. They’re kids. Playing with an airplane door does not fall into acceptable behavior, regardless of age.

14. jhealy86 says:

I think we have all learned a very important lesson here.

Drug your kids with robetussin or dimetapp. That way they sleep peacefully through the entire flight and nobody is bothered.

15. gtrgod01 says:

Apparently practically everyone who visits are spoiled, only children who have none of their own. If they hear so much as a peep from ANY child they are inconvenienced and there should be a rule prohibiting ANYTHING from bothering them at ANY time!!

I’m starting to think that these people hate kids more than Best Buy, any of the bailed out banks, or actually everything put together.….the place where we rag on business but hate children more.

• Myrna_Minkoff says:

@gtrgod01: Way to overgeneralize there, chief. All only children are spoiled?

Back to the issue at hand: If the child would not sit in his seat, the plane can’t take off. 200 people being detained because of a four year old who won’t listen to the word “no” is more than an inconvenience.

• mm16424 says:

@gtrgod01: No one hates the children, just their half-assed parents who can’t be bothered to, you know, actual parent.

Let little Johnny and Janey punch the seat, shout, and throw food because you can’t be bothered to discipline them, and yet we’re the ones who have to grow up.

• boxjockey68 says:

@mm16424: Thing is, it doesn’t sound like the kids were throwing food, shouting, or punching any seats. I’m not sure if anyone is aware of this, babies cry. I know, it’s shocking, but yea, they do. 4 year olds also have a hard time sitting still once in awhile, especially when they are excited. I’m sure the 4 year old doesn’t have too many frequent flyer miles. In this case, it doesn’t even sound like the MOm was given much of a chance to handle it…retarded, she should see a lawyer, PRONTO.

16. nnj says:

These issues are complex, and I wasn’t there so I can’t really judge. I feel bad for the kids, but it is the responsibility of the parent(s) to control their kids. If the kid (or anyone) won’t sit down then the plane is not going anywhere. The only options are to have the kid sit/behave, remove the family or cancel the flight.

17. davidc says:

While it make take a village …

The reality is that parents, in today’s day and age, suffer from lack of personal responsibility syndrome.

Far too often, they expect / demand that other people put up with their kids BAD behavior when that behavior is OBVIOUSLY due to a lack of discipline.

So … if I raise a pitbull, train it to fight, feed it gun powder to make it mean, I am somehow not responsible when it mauls somebody? Of course I am responsible.

But if I raise a brat (cause I am too lazy, too weak, too stupid, too whatever) somehow I am not responsible for my kids action? Puh-lease.

And before you go there, I have a 16 year old that is well on his way to being a responsible adult so I have very little sympathy for lazy / stupid parents.

18. anonymousryan says:

Here’s how I see it: she couldn’t keep her child in his seat (I’ve been on enough flights to know they don’t kick off people for crying children), the plane was trying to taxi but couldn’t with the child unrestrained, for the sake of the other passengers the unruly child, his sister, and mother had to be removed, the airline couldn’t resell those seats so if they refunded or offered a credit they’re out the cost of three seats.

19. NorthJersey says:

Two words: tranquilizer darts.

20. tmlfan81 says:

As the father of two, I can say beyond a shadow of doubt that kids often get restless when left waiting for something. Try taking a kid to see the doctor during the cold and flu season and waiting 45 minutes. (Its worse when they have to go in for shots, etc)

Kids are honest, and will tell how it is if left unchecked. All claims of improper or poor parental skills aside, just about any child is susceptible to a temper tantrum. Anyone with children – shoot, just about anyone that recalls themselves as a child – can vouch for this. It’s just a part of life. And there is no telling when it will happen, however odds are that it will happen at the most inopportune time.

The parent should have been given time to wrangle the kids and gather her (and the children’s) composure. If they weren’t, it is sad but not surprising. While I’m sure the flight crew and the passengers on board were glad they had to deal with two fewer children with tantrums on board, the mother was far more inconvenienced than what should be considered tolerable by any consumer-minded citizen. If the mother was allotted time to gather her composure and wrangle the kids but couldn’t, then she should have been given another flight out.

From here, she should have been granted a refund on the spot or had her ticket transfered to another airline. The credit towards a future flight (at that point) meant very little and was more or less a slap in the face.

When it comes to these sorts of actions, it’s not whether or not the company can or cannot dole out the credit – it is simply a matter of if they want to. They would rather not, take the free advertising they get as a result of the regional / national coverage, and lose a customer for life.

21. GreatWhiteNorth says:

As much as I have rarely enjoyed flights with out of control, unhappy, whiny, sick or stinky diapered kids, I don’t think the airline did its best in this situation. I would suggest that all airlines ensure that the behaviour expectations for passengers is clearly and prominently displayed at the time of booking/payment. For passengers under the age of 10 the airline should be reviewing these expectations with the parents/accompanying adults prior to the day of the flight.

Having kids is a very legitimate activity. We were all kids at some point. Kids will need to travel. If airlines adopt the stance that they have no responsibility to ensure that traveling children and their guardians know how to behave and have strategies to ensure that behaviour we will all suffer.

In this specific case was the mother not offered early boarding to settle her children prior to other passengers boarding? Were the onboard staff not able to assist her with settling the children? Were there complaints from other passengers? Did the behaviour continue for a long period of time? …

Some kids are not good candidates for flying and some parents are so poorly skilled they should not be parents, but that is life.

All said though, I have no desire to repeat the trans Pacific flight to Australia with a poopy diapered kid in the seat behind me again… or fly to the Caribean with screaming brats… or have to wish I could duct tape the devil spawn racing up and down the isle…

22. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

I’ve been around more inconsiderate ADULTS on planes. How about we boot your ass off the plane for being unruly, noisy, rude??

• TakingItSeriously is a Technopile says:

@doctor_cos: Here here

And first on the list is that Jerk in the 25th row that puts his shit in the overheat above my seat in row 6

• flugennock says:

@doctor_cos: Hell, I’m sure it’s been done — many, many times. As I mentioned in a previous reply, there was one year when my wife and I were flying home from Puerto Vallarta, treated to the spectacle of about five or six drunken Texans all seated towards the back of the plane, decked out in “One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor” t-shirts and those ridiculously huge sombreros, just howling and shouting and cursing and cackling like a bunch of ninnies whenever one of them cracked some awful joke about Mexicans loud enough for the whole plane to hear (including a number of Mexicans who were on the flight).

To this day, I don’t know how the hell they were allowed on the flight, as they were already obviously, visibly, audibly smashed to the gills when they were boarding. Hell, I remember them causing a ruckus in the goddamn’ departure lounge before we even go on the frickin’ plane. Oh, how I wanted to throw them off the plane — in midair, en route. Luckily, they staggered off at DFW, and we were able to catch up on some sleep on the DFW to DCA (home) leg.

23. jvanbrecht says:

You know what, I originally voted for the airline.. but I am changing my mind..

Yes, kids are unpredictable sometimes getting them to sit still is sometimes hard, especially in cramped confined spaces of the plane.

At the same time, I remember my own antics as a kid (I was a horrible child), I was loud, I threw tantrums, I ran around, I kicked seats.. you know what my mother, who was single and travelling with 2 children alot (state dep brat, so I flew alot as a child), she bent me over her knee in the plane and beat the shit out of my ass, occasionally she smacked me across the top of my head… there were plenty of disciplinary actions she took, when they were legal years ago, and it worked, the initial shock of being smacked shut me up for a good long while….

That being said, the problem is discipline, I do not want to derail the thread, and I know every parent has their own ideas of how to discipline children, but guess what, without some fear of repercussions (whether that be corporal, or mental punishment), kids won’t listen, thats a fact, and there is nothing you can do about it because kids these days run straight to social services or their teachers and the parents end up in trouble.. And until a parent has sufficient abilities to discipline their children in a way the child understands, nothing will ever change.

I do not have kids, for fear they will end up like I was as a kid, and one day I might have them… which means I will probably end up in jail..

Oh, and I know the difference between punishment, and abuse, so don’t pull the all corporal punishment is abuse crap, because its not, my mother knew where to draw the line.

So, suck it up for a few hours people, buy ear plugs, close your eyes, wear headphones.. but everyone should be able to travel.

• Erskine says:

So what if I’m raping your 76 year old mom in the seat next to you? “…suck it up for a few hours people, buy ear plugs, close your eyes, wear headphones.. but everyone should be able to travel.”

You are obviously a “parent” (quoted to show my contempt for those that spawn but do not act as such).

• craptastico says:

@Erskine: not very bright are you? aside from pulling out a ridiculous comparison argument that has nothing to do with the topic on hand, he said pretty clearly that he doesn’t have kids. maybe you should learn reading comprehension before responding to posts.

• Azuaron says:

@jvanbrecht: You need to read some developmental psychology books. Punishment, in ANY form, physical or otherwise, should almost never be used. It is highly ineffective in the long run, and will typically lead to the child resenting the punisher, and thus acting out more frequently. Instead, from a very young age, children need to be given POSITIVE reinforcement for good behavior, and the focus should be always be on the correct way of acting.

You know why you were a horrible child? Because you were frequently punished. Had you been properly rewarded and encouraged for proper behavior, you’d have been a little angel.

If punishment is necessary, it should be directly related to the consequences of the child’s bad behavior, and often a loss of benefits is more effective than an application of pain or discomfort. For instance, kid won’t stay in his seat on the airplane? First, try the bribe (if you behave, you’ll get ice cream when we get to Montana), and then the threat, (if you don’t behave, you don’t get to watch TV for a month).

Another problem with physical punishment is it’s actually a reward. Any kind of attention, ANY, is rewarding to a child. Eventually, they’ll start acting out just to get hit, because that’s the kind of attention they’ll know they can get. Punishment that focuses on isolation and a lack of attention, and rewards that focus on positive attention, are always more effective.

Also, read B. F. Skinner’s thoughts on delayed gratification. It’s essential for children.

Onward to the actual topic at hand, is your line of reasoning that the airline is at fault because society has created unruly children? Because that’s a very twisted line of reasoning.

• jvanbrecht says:

@Azuaron: Actually, my mother tried alternative methods for years, none of them worked, most of my shrinks stated as much. I was just a child with way too much time on my hands and no one to control me. I also grew up in another country, hell in high school I was getting caned on a semi regular basis by the principal.. but by that time I had already realized that the choice between caning and other types of punishment… the caning while painful, only hurt for about 20 or 30 min, and then it was over and done with, and after a while your ass ends up calloused and it does not hurt at all :)

Removal of privileges in this day and age does not work, we see it all the time, you take away everything they have and they just run off to a friends house, without physical force, there is not way to stop them.

Yes, from a young age they should be taught the correct ways, but it does not always work. Maybe I do have a twisted sense of reasoning, but hey, we are all products of our environments, and while I was punished in ways many disagree with as a child, these days I am a well integrated member of society with a good paying job, good husband with many quality upstanding members of society as friends, a huge difference from when I was a kid and ran with the wrongish crowd for years.

But I see all too often, current society raising their children with the TV, giving in, no backbone, no carrying through with threats (whether they be mental, or physical, and I do not advocate abuse, but there is a fine line between abuse and punishment, many cross it).. I guess my view is that the current generation of children have no hope.. a depressing outlook, but it seems that way.

24. tonsilpool says:

1) The airline did not provide the agreed service.
    2) The airline refuses to refund money.
    3) Theft by airline.
    4) Sue in small claims court. They probally won’t show up anyway. You win. In any case, let the airline explain to the judge why they took your money and didn’t supply the service in a timely fashion.

• Azuaron says:

@tonsilpool: Incorrect.

When you buy seats on an airplane, it is not the airline’s responsibility to make sure you are in those seats when the plane takes off. It is the airline’s responsibility to make sure the seats are available (they were) and that the plane makes it to its destination on time (it did). Sure, it’s nice if an airline does bends over backwards to get a customer to their destination when the customer messes up, but it is, by no means, their responsibility.

This being the Consumerist, think about if this situation was reversed. What if she did everything right, and then the airline overbooked the flight and she couldn’t get on. Then she said she’d institute a charge back on her credit card and not pay the airline, but the airline whined about losing the money. Who would have sympathy for the airline? No one.

We talk about consumer protection all the time, but, you know what? Sometimes the consumer is wrong, and they need to be ejected from the airplane, and it is NOT the airline’s responsibility to cover that loss when the customer breaks the rules.

25. dumpsterj says:

im sorry , but the other $100,000 worth of passengers do not want to hear your child go apeshit while they are stuck on the plan with you. If your kids cannot behave long enough to fly in a plane , they dont need to be flown around the country.

26. Jim Fletcher says:

To the passengers who got to fly, congratulations.

After all, it’s considered torture to blast rock music at suspected terrorists. How much worse is a screaming child?

27. vladthepaler says:

No question the airline is in the right here. There were, presumably, other passengers on the plane. They should all have to suffer because one lady can’t control her kid? Absolutely not.

28. Subsound says:

I don’t think it is two extremes, the kids weren’t demons spewing fire and they weren’t just fidgety…there’s something not being said. Much to my dismay airlines let on many children who are screaming their heads off all the time…just fidgety or fussy would be a damn blessing. On one red eye to Denver there was a flailing screaming kicking monster for 2 hours as his mom knocked back the screwdrivers I could have done without, but he still was right there one row over.

Of course the mom is going to sit there and say how her little kids are angels who were just fussy as the “Big Bad Airline” is silent. I think the first words are not always the correct ones.

29. rachaeljean says:

Kudos to the airline for kicking her off, but she should get a refund.

30. revmatty says:

The anti-child comments here are inevitable. I’ve flown with one or more of my kids about a half dozen times. My kids are typical kids. Usually well behaved, but not always. Kind of like adults. We have got them used to the idea that if they’re going to act crazy and disturb people, do so at home, not in public. We have been complemented by restaurant and flight staff on how well our kids behave *in public*.

With all that being said, I see people on airplanes who start complaining about kids behavior and noise while the kids are still quietly walking down the aisle looking for their seat. The mere existence of a child on their flight ratchets up their annoyed meter and they start projecting all their dislike of children on airplanes in general to this specific child who has thus far done nothing to deserve it. And those people apparently all post here.

31. macezilla says:

sorry, but no sympathy from me.

32. LordofBacon says:

::shrug:: The poll is missing an option. What if neither the mom nor the airline is in the right?

33. FREAKHEAD says:

As a person who used to travel weekly, I have seen my fair share of cranky, irritated adults at the airport. How can anyone expect a child to be more mature under the same circumstances?

The whole ordeal for flying is quite a lot to handle for even the most patient among us. You would think we all could be more understanding and accommodating when faced with this situation.

Have we gotten to the point where its OK to kick woman and children off a plane?

I have two very well behaved children but I can not promise that after 2 hours at an airport, going through security, taking a tram, running up and down stairs, dragging our luggage, coats, strollers, etc, and getting stuffed on a plane that is loud and cramped that my 2 year old will not cry.

34. WEGGLES90 says:

I’m sick of bratty kids on airplanes.

35. ToddMU03 says:

Airline is inline. If some drunk or belligerent or a person that freaks out gets kicked off (and usually arrested) they don’t get a refund.

36. justsomeotherguy says:

Eff her. Maybe if she beat the kid once in a while it wouldnt act like such a putz. I love kids. And I love when kids are being kids. I think kids should be given more freedom to roam, and their rights be protected, and their education opportunities should be vast…. But there is a time when they need to be told ‘sit down and shut up or you are going to be beat with the belt for hours’. If that was my kid I would have pictures of andrea yates and susan smith on the fridge…

37. TCinIowa says:

The airline was right.

If you have kids, and can’t keep them under control, take the bus.

I don’t have kids, but if I ever do, and I’m become that mom, I’d expect the airline to kick me off the flight as well.

There’s no different standard for adults, they should kick a great deal more people off the plane than they do.

Either that or put a yes/no button on every passengers seat with the totals visible at the front of the cabin.

A simple majority decides who gets to fly, and who gets kicked off. I bet that would make people much more considerate.

38. bicstick says:

We made the decision to wait to travel with the kids until we were sure we could make the trip without embarrassing ourselves or putting too much burden on our fellow passengers. It is too bad others do not think about such things.

39. UrIt says:

i understand that it is difficult controling/raising a child. but if you can’t control them, don’t have them. it’s as simple as that. because them running around the plane is a safety hazard and disrupts other people’s trips.

40. RalphyNader says:

So we aren’t going to give you the service that you have paid for. And we won’t give you another ticket. And we won’t give you your money back. Yeah, that sounds totally fair.

I’m going to open a gas station with this policy.
    ME “Sorry bud, you are talking on your cell phone. I’m gonna have to ask you to get in the back of the line.”
    Schmuck “What, I already paid you $40.”
    ME “Sorry no refunds, it’s policy.”
    Schmuck “That’s BS”
    ME “OK I’ll give you a credit for your next tank of gas”
    Schmuck “Fine how much?”
    ME “Your next tank of gas wil be…..$35”
    Schmuck “WTF?”

• Azuaron says:

@RalphyNader: Except at a gas station you’re paying for a product, the gas. With an airline you’re paying for seats, and it’s not the airline’s responsibility to make sure you’re in those seats. It’s their responsibility to make sure the seats are open (they were) and the airplane gets to its destination on time (it did, and probably only because she was kicked off). It would be like violating a sports stadium’s rules, getting thrown out during warmup, and asking for a refund. You’ll be told, “Um, no. Go away.”

41. Jo0liekitty says:

I cringe when I see those small things mosey on to a plane. But generally, I slap on the headphones and blast – I’m usually not bothered. I even wear my headphones through take off and landings, even when they say not to.
    I just advise everyone else to do the same thing… bad parenting and overpopulation aside.
    I have more backstory comments about this woman’s situation but that’s not the point.

42. Span_Wolf says:

The airline has the right to remove people from the plane, but I don’t think they have the right to say, thanks for the free money better luck next time.. no refunds! If I were here, I’d do a charge back on my credit card.

• Ilovegnomes says:

@Span_Wolf: I agree with you. The service that they are offering is more than just the ability to sit in a seat. It is the ability to travel from one destination to another. The service was not provided and the contractual agreement was broken.

I would like to hear from a contract lawyer about if the terms of a contract are broken, what is the law when it comes to giving refunds. Getting to keep 100% of the money does not seem fair (even if they offered her a credit).

43. Kris123 says:

44. docrice says:

Difficult one to answer – it depends on how unruly the kid was. I think the airline was within their right to remove her if he was being really bad. If they did that, I can’t really say if she’s entitled to a refund, because they can’t sell her seats now, and it might even be too late for a standby passenger to take them, so if she got a refund, the airline would be out that money.

If I were the airline, I’d refund $800 of her money and send her packing.

45. SoCalGNX says:

I would be willing to fly this company. I am sick of breeders who can breed but don’t take any responsibility afterwards.

46. henrygates says:

I wonder how many people complaining about screaming kids around them are the same ones lighting up a stinky cigarette in public and whining about their right to smoke.

47. uclajd says:

Great, I will now fly this airline. Bratty, screaming kids is reason alone to pay the first class premium.

Airlines need “adult class.” I’d pay extra for that.

48. TerpBE says:

The plane was going to Billings, MT. She should be thanking the airline.

49. XTC46 says:

I think i’m a pretty reasonable person. I have no kids (im 24) but have siblings that are 12 and 14 years younger than me, as well as an older sibling. I hate listening to kids cry, its loud, and its annoying. That being said, I also know it happens. I fly alot, and if a kid is crying, yea its annoying, but as long as the kid is just crying, and its a young kid (like 2-3 or younger)Ill deal with it. I also understand that kids can get restless and move around and be loud, hell I do that.

But if you are traveling with 2 kids that age, you better have them very well behaved. Controlling to kids like that is a chore in the best cases, but when both are being pain, if you cant control them, you cant be on an airplane. You are then an annoyance and a hazard and should be removed.

I also resent being told that kids have rights and blah blah blah. Like all things else, your rights end, where mine start. I have the right to not be inconvienced by you. If your kid is kicking my chair, you will make him stop, if he is screaming in my ear, you will make him stop or move him away.

50. PickyPatron says:

I don’t think it’s possible to judge without actually witnessing the situation. I have seen parents who really make no effort to control or discipline their kids. Once a boy who was about four and his mother were sitting in front of me on a bus, and the boy turned around and spit on me. The mother saw it, and she laughed. Laughed. There is absolutely no excuse for that kind (or lack) of parenting.

On the other hand, I have also seen the frazzled mother with a screaming baby and a rambunctious toddler, the mother trying her best to wrangle in her kids but you can tell by looking at her that it’s “just one of those days” and she looks like she might break down in tears herself, and all anyone does is give her and her children dirty looks.

Considering the fact that the woman in this article was dealing with a crying infant, I’m guessing she was probably in the latter category, and the flight attendants should have done something to help her (if they didn’t) before kicking her off the plane.

Many of you say that it isn’t the responsibility of the flight attendant to help someone with their children, but I would argue that it is. The primary jobs of a flight attendant are (1) to ensure the safety of the passengers and (2) to ensure the comfort of the passengers. Helping a frazzled mother with her children fulfills both of those responsibilities. Is it the flight attendant’s job to discipline or force the child into his seat? No. But they can certainly offer him a bag of crackers, or some crayons, or try to talk him into his seat while the parent is dealing with their other child. If those things are attempted, and the parent can’t get their children to stop being a safety hazard to the rest of the flight after significant effort on the part of both the parent and the attendant, then the attendant can choose to ask the family to leave.

51. Sian says:

Kids can’t be controlled?

Benadryl says otherwise.

• Ilovegnomes says:

@Sian: That stuff has the opposite effect on my kids (and many others)! It makes them bounce off the wall instead of making them drowsy.

52. PølάrβǽЯ says:

I must side with the airline. Control your kids, people. Especially when you’re inside a plane with a bunch of other people who can’t just get up and leave if they want to get away from you. Have some consideration for others, for crying out loud.

And yes, I have two kids myself, ages 2 and 5. If I were to take them on a plane, I can guarantee you they’d be better behaved than half of the adults on the flight.

53. Shaftoe says:

The airline was within their rights to kick them off but That ticket was paid for to get them to their destination. The airline should live up to their end of the bargin and get em wehre they need to go.

54. anachro882 says:

Does Allegiant fly from Austin? If not, how do we lobby them to do so?

55. LTRS says:

The airlines have every right not to allow her to fly for whatever reason they want, but they don’t have a right to keep the money!

If that were the case, airlines could kick half of the passengers off every flight, keep their money, and save a hell of a lot on fuel costs.

Outrageous, and the Mom is crazy if she doesn’t take them to small claims court. She would win in a heartbeat, regardless of the ridiculous “policy” the airline is citing. Policy is not law.

56. RayonFog says:

I flew this airline when they started up over the summer. Let’s just say you get what you pay for. $80 round trip LA to Fargo. “Hiya, Norm. How ya doin’, Margie? How’s the fricasse?”

57. scouts honor says:

Well, while the rest of you all were fighting the parenting wars, I read Allegiant’s contract of carriage. It appears that the airline is supposed to refund the fare of a person denied boarding or removed from a plane in situations such as this (i.e. unruly passenger).

58. danno5-0 says:

I totally agree with removing unruly kids from over crowded aircraft; however, they should refund her money. I understand children may “go wild” but the rest of the passengers shouldn’t have to suffer.

59. bryanpass says:

I don’t have any sympathy. I fly a lot on business, and constantly have to put up with parents who can’t control their kids. I have long prayed that the airlines I fly would kick of families who aren’t behaving — I’ve seen families fly for a lot less, kids running up the aisles during takeoff, crawling around seats, rooting through the galley, with parents doing nothing more than tsk tsking.

Besides, she was offered credit. It’s a non-issue, and I agree with the other comments here that say if you can’t control your kids, you have no place on an airplane.

60. LIJ says:

Meh, I think those kids and the mom were more disruptive than they are admitting.
    Refund issue aside, i think the airline has the right idea. We have regularly made long flights with both of our kids since they were newborns, 10 years ago.

Sometimes it took some mental and physical gymnastics to assure proper conduct, not to mention obscene amounts of candy, but we got the job done. A 4 yr old can and should be expected to show enough respect for others and self control for the duration of a flight.

Even at 2 yrs old, ours respected the family travel law of no whining, and under no circumstances should any of their appendages ever make contact with the seat in front of them. I have seen enough freakishly permissive parenting to take a wild guess at what led to the ouster of this family.

61. Ronin-Democrat says:

the holiday season is coming -happens every year surprisingly- so airlines should put a notice up on their sites, at the ticket confirmation page and at the ticket desk about children’s expected behavior.

a little nyquil will do wonders moms……..

62. wsupfoo says:

I understand that children will act up and sometimes you just have to go somewhere with them. But if YOUR children act up, its on you to bear the cost, not the airline. Empty seats are expensive for an airline, they shouldn’t bear the cost of your childrens behavior.

63. harrier666 says:

As a somewhat seasoned airline pilot, I can point out kids clear across the airport that will misbehave on planes by taking a quick glance at the parents. Most flight attendants also have this skill. Kids cry, sure, but there is crying, there are nerves, and then there are parents who have no clue how to handle their kids or don’t even try. Or who have never learned to discipline their children. Or worst, the weekend parent that wants to be the cool parent, letting their kids get away with anything.

I have seen both sides of the coin. Parents with screaming kids, running down the aisles when the seatbelt sign is on and the flight is bumpy, while they listen to their ipod and ignore the kid. I have also had to personally escort a young boy leaving his mom for the first time, going to see his dad, scared half to death of flying. The captain of the earlier fight had kicked him off, this poor tiny boy all alone. He waited alone in the airport (with a gate agent assigned to him) as mom had already gone home and lived quite a distance. But when I got there, I gave him a hug, bought him a 5 dollar stuffed critter from the store, and sat with him until we had to close the cockpit door. He was all smiles when we landed.

64. TessTalks says:

Folks the power is always in the public’s hands. Boycott Allegiant Airlines and get them right where it hurts . . . in the wallet.

65. Bodgy says:

Why aren’t the misbehaving children ever kicked off of the planes I’m on?!

66. wilburinla says:

No sympathy here. It’s just one case of self-absorbed people thinking that their spawn are so special that their disturbing behavior should be tolerated by others. By response is to stay home until your children are old enough to travel with disturbing others.

67. dancing_bear says:

Hey you, riding in coach, yeah you without kids:

The lavatory on this plane has no changing table, my kid has soiled his pants and is screaming. You are damn right I am changing the diaper right here and now in this seat that I had to pay for. Do you think I am happy listenting to you bitch while I try and get a poop filled diaper in a barf bag?

Shut the f()|< up, while I do what I have to do. Fly first class next time a$$h0le.

• cromartie says:

@dancing_bear: And people like you are the reason I fly first class. If I wanted to smell baby shit I’d procreate.

(Of course, not procreating is also a large part of the reason I can afford to fly first class.)

• dancing_bear says:

I understand completely. If I had an option, I would have enjoyed taking it. Would you rather smell crap and have a baby scream for the entire flight, or smell lots of crap for five minutes and have the baby shut up?

It should be noted the flight attendants were zero help, I could not do the dirty work in the galley, they would not take the barf bag when I was done (puke is ok, but not baby shit?).

Short of this anecdote, my kids know how to behave on car trips, airplane rides, restaurants and in profesionals’ offices. I don’t know why it is so hard for some parents to train their kids, I think half the time the parents are failures, the other half the kids are simply not suitable for public exposure, regardless of parenting skills.

68. grammammv says:

She knew she was going to fly. Why had she not prepared BOTH OF HER KIDS (a 2 year old is not 6 months old – they understand instructions) by “practicing” sitting q

69. ZukeZuke says:

And this is why I always bring earplugs for airline trips. Screaming and/or crying kids during a 5 hour trip is one way to make passengers lose all shred of sanity.

Control your kids, people! Have a little consideration for others around you. I don’t care about your excuses either, the world does not center around nor should be expected to cater to you and your spawn.

I find many parents use the very nature of kids as an excuse for why they do all kinds of crap from screaming/pouting in stores, to running around tables in restaurants, to pulling merchandise off shelves/racks in stores, eating unpaid-for food in the grocery store, etc. This is B.S. My mom woulda given me a spanking of the Ages if I pulled half the crap kids do nowadays.

70. sixidahos says:

I understand being a young parent is tough. What’s tougher is being a passenger on a plane once with a crying baby in front of me and an annoying child behind me who kicked the back of my seat at least every 5 minutes for an hour and a half.
    A good rule of thumb is…if your kids can’t reasonably behave in the grocery store, they’re not ready for a plane.

71. nprfreak says:

It’s clear to me that most posters are not familiar with Allegiant Air. While there is certainly not enough info to know which party was right or wrong, Allegiant is not your average airline.

They fly between smaller airports and from small airports to select “destinations”. All their flights are non-stop. They do not overbook and offer all their services ala carte. Nothing is free, not even soft drinks. They even charge a fee to pick a seat. In exchange for all this, the airfare itself is dirt cheap.

One “extra” they offer is flight insurance (flex flight) to protect customers from missed flights, etc. That fee is something like $7 for a round trip or $21 for Mom and two kids. If Mom bought that insurance, a credit toward a future flight is all she is entitled to. If Mom gets a full refund, she’s just driving up airfares for the rest of us taking advantage of this tight margin business model.

I know about Allegiant because they offer twice weekly flights (Friday and Monday) between the puddle-jumper airport near me and Orlando FL. I’m preparing to take my first flight with them in a couple of weeks: $94 round trip including taxes and airport fees.

72. Pandemic1444 says:

I am never in favor of anyone with absolute power. It was their decision to kick her off the plane and their decision to keep her money for a flight she didn’t get.

I get tired of hearing it’s policy or it’s not policy as an excuse, it’s like saying “because we just don’t want to”, and it’s thievery. Doesn’t the law apply here? If I was to take somebody’s money and give them nothing in return I would be locked up for robbery, but this company gets to just decide they want to keep the woman’s money. That’s bullshit. That woman paid for services and she didn’t get those services, so her money should be refunded. Also, I doubt they would have offered her another flight if she hadn’t made a stink.

Another flight is useless, it was her birthday and they ruined it because they don’t remember being children — and I wouldn’t want to use their airline again if I was her.

73. mgeoghan says:

I have 4 boys all under the age of 9 and if there is one thing I cannot stand it is when another parent does not control their kids whether it be on a plane, in a restaurant, wherever. Not only that, unless it is something urgent like a funeral or a dying relative or something then don’t bring a 2 year old on a plane. It is miserable for the child and they’re going to react as such. You want to fly somewhere for your birthday? So what! Here’s a little secret, sometimes when you are a parent you have to make sacrifices because it isn’t about you anymore. If that means you have to postpone a trip then so be it.

74. edrebber says:

There is no requirement to stay in your seat while passengers are boarding and a 2 year old is probably going to cry during the flight at some point.

75. pennylane100 says:

It is hard to say who was aT fault, if the kids were really causing a disturbance it was definetely OK to ask them to leave, If the attendant had asked if any juice or snacks would help, that may have calmed them down or they may have just been spoilt little children who had not been taught behavior skills.

That being said, I think after taking them of the plane, they should have taken off the luggage, if I had thought that was part of the new safety requirements. They also should have given them their money back so the could have booked and possibly get thrown off another airline.

If you have a hyper child, and sometimes is is not the parents fault as the child may have medical problems, you should visit your doctor who would probably recommend a small dose of benedryl which they often give to children who when admitted to hospital cannot calm down enough to treat.

76. grammammv says:

What noone has brought up, at AGE 5 a child can fly alone (or they used to be able to I am not up on the current rules). Many many have, did with no problem several times a year. My children flew at ages 6 months, 18 months, and every year thereafter on a 4 hour flight across country to see grandparents with a change of plane. Likewise my grandchildren flew at age 6 months, 8 months, 2, etc. NEVER did they disrupt the other passengers. As I said before, they knew by age 18 months what was expected and acted accordingly. Prior to that pacifier, cookies, etc. worked.

• gtrgod01 says:

@grammammv: …”never did they disrupt the other passengers”….as far as YOU know. I’ll bet if half the crowd on here was on that plane they’d have made something up just to get you kicked off simply for having a child (regardless if the child really was good or not).

Apparently all the 20-somethings on here were born adults and despise anything younger than themselves…

77. TechnoDestructo says:

No mention of whether the crew tried to get the kid to stay in the seat.

An angry stranger can be a lot more effective than an exasperated parent in those situations.

78. baristabrawl says:

If you control your kids at home, they will behave in public. I’m all about free spirits, but when you’re wrong, you’re wrong.

Blame the parents, they’re bad. If your kids act a fool, you get what you get.

79. BytheSea says:

That’s wrong, that’s awful, it’s grievous.

80. iron_chef says:

two words…

Tranquilizer Gun.

81. Princess Leela says:

One has to give the airline the benefit of the doubt that this was a really egregious situation. There are almost always kids on the flight when I travel by air, and on occasion they are bratty (and on a couple of occasions, REEEEALLY bratty), but I’ve never seen anyone get kicked off. That’s because this is a very unusual situation. We only are fooled into thinking it’s not because we’re always READING about it. Airlines aren’t kicking families off flights willy-nilly every day.

As for the commenters here who appear to think that they are entitled to a completely child-free existence: Isn’t that unrealistic, to say the least? We were all kids once. Would you demand a world free of old people? Or … ahem, people who are not of your race or ethnicity? Unreasonable, no? We were all kids once. If you grew up into an adult who is not a huge “kid person,” then hey, fine. Don’t have any, and don’t choose a job where you have to work with them. But don’t expect that you can move through life with no kids ever even coming into your line of sight. Ridiculous.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@Princess Leela: We’re not even always reading about it either. We’ve had two stories about it recently but even if you only look at the ‘person was booted from a plane’ stories it’s usually an adult being kicked off for something they themselves did or didn’t do, not a kid. They certainly don’t make up the majority of airline stories on Consumerist.

82. nstonep says:

A 4 year old is hardly a security risk, however this is simply a case of kids having kids. Don’t have kids if you can’t take care of them…just like dogs.

The rest of the passengers shouldn’t have to take care of this box wine bitch’s two latchkey kids because she can’t. +1 for the flight crew.

83. A Penguin On The Telly says:

I’ll give a little leeway on the behavior of a 2 year old. The 4 year old, none at all. By the age of 4 a child should know how to behave in public. Either way, the airline should have put her on the next flight with no incurred fees. If it happens again, banned for life.

84. pot_roast says:

Just wanted to point out that the video is now gone. :|

85. pdxazn says:

The airline is right for removed the kids off the plane for their own safety. If the kids can’t stay in their seats, they might get hurt during an unexpected event such as an turbulence.

The kids should be allowed back on the plane only before the flight time and they have calmed downed or take the next flight.

The airline should give them a seat on the next available flight, but not a refund because it was not a fault on both side.

86. ascen says:

the possible reason for safety is actually very simple, apparently 90% of accidents on a plane occur when the plane is taxiing. a kid running around when it is taxiing to the runway is a major issue.