One Death Tied To 545,699 lb Ground Beef Recall

New Hampshire has announced a death connected to the recent recall of 545,699 lbs of ground beef for e. coli contamination. The beef was sold in the following retailers, among others: Trader Joes, Price Chopper, Lancaster and Wild Harvest, Shaw’s, a unit of Supervalu, BJ’s, Ford Brothers and Giant.

Reuters says:

The U.S. Agriculture Department said it became aware the meat might be tainted by E. coli O157:H7 bacteria during an investigation of a cluster of food-borne illnesses in New England.

New Hampshire officials announced the death on Saturday but did not release information about the victim. Two other New Hampshire residents have been hospitalized, they said.

USDA said it worked with health officials and “determined that there is an association between the fresh ground beef products subject to recall and illnesses in Connecticut, Maine and Massachusetts.”

To see the official recall notice, click here. Here’s a pdf of the product labels.

New York Firm Recalls Fresh Ground Beef Products Due To Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination [USDA]
New Englander dies as U.S. meat recalled [Reuters]

1. justagigilo85 says:

How about cooking ground beef until it reaches in internal temp of 155?

• The Porkchop Express says:

@justagigilo85: my thought exactly despite the fact that I don’t want to do it. I will though, just so I don’t get in those numbers.

• Hoss says:

@justagigilo85: I don’t think the dead guy can answer

• B says:

@justagigilo85: How about our meat industry not selling meat tainted with deadly bacteria? Nice job blaming the victim, though.

• ecwis says:

@B: I’m pretty sure everyone knows the risk involved with not cooking ground beef thoroughly. There is even a warning label on the package explaining this if people aren’t aware of the issue. I have no problem cooking my hamburgers thoroughly. It’s better than having to buy beef that’s irradiated.

• The Porkchop Express says:

@B: They don’t always know it is tainted, plus the tainting could have happened at your grocer, in the truck, or any other place.

Ground beef should be cooked through, that has been known for some time now.

• lordargent says:

@B: How about our meat industry not selling meat tainted wit…:

1) Deadly* bacteria is floating in the air all around you.

2) I’m more worried about the recalls on contaminated veggies since I’m far more likely to eat veggies raw than meat.

/*: YMMV based on the strength of your immune system and the sice of the contamination.

• justagigilo85 says:

@B: How about doing everything you can in your power to protect yourself?

With mass production, something bad is bound to get through for whatever reason.

Although food safety/sanitation has come along way, it’s still not 100% fool-proof.

I’ll take my burger well done, please.

2. theblackdog says:

I just saw a video, and my state is one that could be affected.

I did recently buy a bunch of ground beef from a locally owned supermarket and they have their own packaging and label. Of course, there’s nothing about where the meat came from so I guess I’ll have to go be the worrywart customer and asking their manager if I need to toss it out.

3. meg9 says:

I’m annoyed to see that Trader Joe’s and Giant sell the same exact meat.

• mdoublej says:

@meg9: After buying both, I realized Trader Joe’s and Price Chopper sell the same instant oatmeal. The Trader Joe’s box makes it look healthier though!

4. colorisnteverything says:

Just cook the meat thoroughly, people. This will not be a problem. I currently have food poisoning by no fault of my own and there is no way I would want to be sick because I just didn’t cook the meat well enough. Why would anyone want to be sick?

Unless they LIKE guzzling pepto all day…

5. laurakeener says:

This is the price to pay for all the people unwilling to pay the TRUE cost for safe meat..
    1. if you buy conventional meat, there is no guarantee; slaughering practices are too fast and too much poo is in your meat. Buy organic
    2. better yet, go vegetarian and you’ll do the best thing possible for the environment. People eat way too much meat and it’s an impossible burden on the environment.

someday the government will wisen up and stop subsidizing this garbage food so the REAL cost including environmental cleanup will be considered. then, maybe, people might not buy so much. There’s no reason a quarter pounder should cost less than my bag of carrots; it;s insane!

• pot_roast says:

@laurakeener: Way to spread your political agenda. But you should remember that several of the recent food poisoning scares were from vegetables, not meats. People don’t eat way too much meat. This is silly vegetarian FUD. And we’ve been subsidizing veggies for a long time now.

• theblackdog says:

@laurakeener: Ahhhh, but haven’t there been warnings to not eat sprouts because they tend to get infected by poo a lot?

6. chiieddy says:

There was a very (VERY) informative article about e. coli risk and ground beef in the NY Times recently. The fact that this keeps happening identifies exactly what the article was attempting to impart.

Seriously, the article is less than a month old.

Personally, I grind my own beef, which eliminates the risk as described, plus I get better quality burgers for about the same price. It takes about 15 minutes to do 3 lbs of beef.

7. ChuckECheese says:

Well, if I ate over a half-million pounds of ground meat I’d die of beef poisoning too.

8. TheWillow says:

suddenly the ostrich burger I’m eating is even more delicious.

9. Ratty says:

…FFFF, I get all of my beef at Trader joe’s. I’m going to have to rethink their meat department now. :(

10. Marshfield says:

Kitchen-Aid + meat grinder attachment + $2.00/lb roast = Ultra-lean hamburger at 75% savings and virtually no chance of e-coli contamination.

11. suburbancowboy says:

Stop subsidizing corn. If we stopped doing that, factory farms might stop feeding corn to cows. It makes them sick, and they have to be pumped with hormones and antibiotics just to keep them alive. Factory raised beef comes from sick cows.
    Cows are designed to eat grass.

12. Gracegottcha says:

I have completely abandoned ground beef. I now spend a fortune buying steak and grinding it up in my food processor. Seriously though, we just don’t go through enough ground beef to pay a little more for the peace of mind – It tastes pretty good too.

13. RogueWarrior says:

How do we know for sure that the dead guy died from the meat? How do we know for sure he washed his hands after taking a dump? This sort of thing smacks of the Halloween candy scares. Nobody every died from eating a tainted piece of Halloween candy. Ever.

• formergr says:

@RogueWarrior: They can (and I’m sure did) run tests on him to see what strain of e.coli he was infected with. They can tell if it came from 1) cow poo or 2) human poo.

14. strawberryjam says:

I just watched Food, Inc. It made me depressed and not want to eat anything.