Standard Time Starts, Set Your Clocks Back An Hour

Daylight savings time ends today. It’s the “good” one, so you get to set your clocks back an hour and go back to sleep. If you’re reading this at eight, for instance, set your clock back to 7. Your cellphone, and if it’s set to automatically adjust for daylight savings changes, your computer most likely has already changed to adjust so if you’re confused just go off that. Today is also a good day to do this twice-yearly change of the batteries in your fire and smoke alarms, and change your windshield wipers. How do you plan on spending your extra hour?

(Photo: C.Barr)

Comments

1. Tamakun23 says:

Unfortunately, I was working for that extra hour, and I have reason to believe I won’t get any overtime for it since the person who loses an hour (6 months away from this day) doesn’t lose an hour of pay. (Does that sound wrong to anyone?)

But, I’m off work shortly so I will be sleeping.

• jaket says:

@Tamakun23: Dude! By law, your employer owes you overtime.

Conversely, the guy who worked a 7-hour shift in March is only legally entitled to 7 hours of pay. If the employer chose to pay for 8 hours of straight-time back then, that in no way relieves their legal responsibility to pay you overtime now.

[I am not a lawyer. Just another P.O.’ed worker bee.]

• Taed says:

@jaket: I know that in California, the law is very clear about the cases of Daylight Saving Time shifts, that you’re paid for hours worked, not for the differences in clock time. I would assume that all states are the same (except those few states (such as Hawaii and Arizona) that don’t celebrate DST).

• Ouze says:

@Tamakun23:

I work third shift and encounter this often. You get paid for hours worked, period. That person who gets 7 hours only actually WORKED 7 hours. You on the other time actually worked 9. The clock is irrelevant.

2. TacoChuck says:

Nothing personal, but I want to point out there is no ‘s’ on the end of Saving in Daylight Saving Time.

It is a very common mistake, but a mistake none the less.

3. Woodside Park Bob says:

The posting mentioned “twice-yearly change of the batteries in your fire and smoke alarms.” A twice yearly check would make a lot more sense. Most batteries in smoke alarms are good for far longer than 6 months. Some last for years, especially if they are in hard-wired detectors. You’ll save a lot of money, and keep a lot of perfectly good batteries out of landfills if you buy an inexpensive battery tester and check your smoke detectors batteries every six months rather than automatically throwing them away every six months.

• dark_15 says:

@Woodside Park Bob: I completely disagree with this statement. There’s some things that you can cut corners on, but this isn’t one of those cases.

I have the responsibility to maintain our UPS and HVAC systems (battery backups and cooling for the non-techies), and we replace the batteries in those systems every 4 years, regardless of their condition. All it takes is one time for an aged battery to not hold its charge and the entire facility goes dark during a small power blip.

Changing a battery that costs $5-$10 a year is not worth averting a potential catastrophe?

• legwork says:

@dark_15: 4 years = perfectly acceptable. You’re actually going a year beyond many facilities.

6 months change = irresponsible recommendation. This is not only unnecessary from the battery life perspective, but it will increase failure rates from excessive tinkering. (connector & wire fatigue, drops & other human factors)

• Jeff_McAwes0me says:

@dark_15: A UPS is hardly the same thing as a fire alarm. A UPS needs to be able to work at full capacity at all times for hours on end (or minutes as the case may be). A smoke detector needs to work for five minutes. If you replace the batteries as soon as it starts the low battery warning beeping, there won’t be a problem.

4. TinaBringMeTheAx says:

Actually, daylight saving time ENDS today, standard time STARTS.

And we’re not selling mattresses here, no “s” at the end of saving.

5. ptkdude says:

Also a good time to change your windshield wipers!

6. Skaperen says:

Yes on the two nits already pointed out. It’s called “Daylight Saving Time”, and it ENDS now, not begins.

My VCR already changed its time several days ago. I didn’t notice that and it failed to record last week’s episode of The Mentalist 10PM (recording the 11PM news and part of David Letterman, instead). I wish I was more observant of that.

This is a problem of (choose):

1. Government changing stuff that is already programmed into devices.

2. Devices having stuff programmed in that the government changes.

IMHO, we don’t need Daylight Saving Time at all. We don’t really even need time zones anymore. Time zones were intended to help trains stay on schedule. Now days, with computers, GPS, etc, we can have multiple discrete times for many smaller areas (it can still be good to have the same time within one metro area), and dynamically adjust it according to the time of year so that it maximizes sun time. The idea is for the clock to adjust so that a given time begins at approximately sunrise for the locality you are in. Different latitudes have a different amount of change in sun times, so the daily increment would also vary by location. But this is all manageable today (unlike back in the days when the railroads began).

• Megalomania says:

@Skaperen: It is not manageable and it makes my head hurt to think about all the ways that is a bad idea.

• Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@Skaperen:
      If you go into the menu of your VCR, you can turn off automatic DST & set it manually.
      I just did that for five VCRs.

• Fabuloso says:

@Skaperen: Dude you really use a VCR?!? Get with the times old man, if you had a TiVO or a DVR of this century you wouldnt have that clock changing when it feels like, missing my recording problems and i cant find the (insert program name here) tape. Step into this century i promise you wont fall.

7. Segador says:

I was disappointed to learn that, once again, sites and papers have failed to misspell CLOCKS in their daylight savings time stories, missing out on literally minutes of unintentional hilarity.

8. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I woke up at 8am, to realize it’s only 7am. And that I have 15 hours before bed again, instead of 14. What am I doing with my extra hour you ask, Ben?

Nothing. Never makes a difference to me until Monday hits.

9. mobilene says:

Let me speak on behalf of Indiana and say that this whole time-change notion is for the birds!

10. lunasdude says:

What did I do with the extra hour? RESET THE DAM CLOCKS! !$!#@$
    4 wall clocks, 1 Coffee maker, 1 Microwave, 1 Stove Clock, 2 Analog watches, 4 Televisions, 2 Car Stereos, 3 Digital Cameras & a partridge in a pear tree! (!@#!@$)

THANK GOD we have 2 Mac’s, 2 cell phones & 1 Atomic clock that needed no “Human Intervention” to make this !#$!$ time adjustment! I’m going to go watch “Flash Forwad” now where the have a REAL problem with time.

11. Azuaron says:

November is National Novel Writing Month, so I spent the extra hour writing. And, unlike most the wusses who “spent the extra hour” at some later point in the day, I’ve been up since midnight writing, so I was actually spending that hour during that hour at the change over.

On that note, Daylight Saving Time is ridiculous, and should be completely abolished. Skaperen, your suggestion is more ridiculous. I don’t want to worry about what time it will be in the neighboring town/county/state because it’s 23 minutes difference compared to my current location. Imagine trying to schedule a meeting with five people who all live within 100 miles of each other, but are all on different times. Trying to schedule across time zones is onerous enough, thank you very much.

12. lucasbeth says:

Those who think this is the “good” time change obviously don’t have small children. Now my 7-month-old twins think that 4:45am is time to be up for the day. Hurray…

• brandymb says:

@lucasbeth: Yup there I am, awak at 5:15 AM.. I hate this crap. They should just leave the time at DST. I’d rather have an extra hour of daylight in the afternoon/evening.

• medfordite says:

@lucasbeth: Exactly! Our little one’s clock is the sun so as long as it is sunny outside, she thinks she can be awake.

So, here we are at 5:00am and she is knocking on our door ready to eat and watch her cartoons! So much for sleeping in that extra hour.

Top it off, she was fairly wired from Halloween last night so didn’t sleep until about 10pm (then time), which would have made it 9pm now time, er..uh…how does this all work again?!?!?

Actually, I have several items in the house that don’t need my intervention including my watch, but the Stove, Microwave, Car Radios, and Coffee pot all need my attention now. :)

13. ReverendBrown says:

The same thing I do with every extra hour, Popky. Try to take over the world.

14. czadd says:

Benjamin Franklin was a brilliant man, but this was his worst idea. In this day and age most places of business leave all their lights on 24/7 for either marketing or security anyway. I still turn on the lights when I wake up in the morning. Contrary to popular belief, setting my clock back doesn’t change the rate the earth turns. I still get the same amount of sunlight. Nobody is gaining anything.

Rant complete.

15. ellemm says:

I’m just happy that Arizona has steadfastly refused to participate in DST nonsense. We do plenty of goofy stuff in this state, but messing around with time twice a year is not one of them. Now you’ll have to excuse me, it’s time to plant the winter lawn.

• SaraFimm says:

@ellemm: Yeah for AZ!!!! Hubby and all his co-workers work in a business that’s 24/7 across the state line. His boss was smart (nice?) enough to just adjust when they came in to work instead of making them change what time they came in to work. So no matter what time of year, Hubby and co-workers go in to work at the same AZ time all year.

16. Garbanzo says:

I also disagree that this is the “good” time change. The sun’s going to set here tonight a little after 5 p.m. Meh.

I’d be happy to leave the clocks alone year-round, as long as we left it at the time that makes the sun set later in the day. But then some people would whine about commuting to work or school in the dark in the winter. And so we compromise.

17. sir_eccles says:

Live in Arizona dammit!

18. pyehac says:

What makes this confusing for me and my family is that since we changed to Dish Network for our TVs, we watch shows that are playing at Eastern time. We don’t mind it because my sister loves watching new episodes before her friends.

Oh, and I love not observing DST – although my brother told me its a pain to change the times since he’s on the mainland.

19. ShadowFalls says:

@BB_User:

You know, some things aren’t available yet even on DVD… Probably never will. Also, let me know how easy it is for to take your Tivo to your friend’s house.

Just because the tech is newer, doesn’t mean it is without limitations.

20. katia802 says:

I don’t get home from work till after 5:30. Now i’m dealing with bright sunlight first thing in the morning, resulting in a gollum like sneer and ducking away from that bright thing that burns us precious! Hate this part of winter!

21. drizzt380 says:

Its only wrong until we get everyone to call it Daylight Savings Time. Then its right.

Don’t inhibit progress!!!

22. Kuchen says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): I lived in Indiana when they didn’t observe DST, too. Now they’re just as messed up as the rest of us, though. Some of the counties by Chicago stayed on Chicago time all year, and I have relatives that lived in a county that didn’t change it’s clocks, but worked in one that did. Imagine how confusing that would be.

23. subtlefrog says:

@Eyebrows McGee (now with more baby!): But we don’t have plenty of electricity. There’s a reason off-peak electricity is so much cheaper – during peak hours, when everything is running, power companies are running their inefficient, crappy power generators. In off-peak, companies use only their cleanest, most efficient plants. Ok, yes, we CAN meet demand, but not well, and not cleanly. Dynamically shifting this constantly would be a power nightmare.

24. morlo says:

@subtlefrog: Fewer posts on Sunday, though

25. RandomHookup says:

@Kuchen: I hated the lack of DST when I lived in Indiana. Explaining to other people what time it was and having the sun out and shining at 5 am — not fun.

26. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

@Kuchen: I went to Notre Dame and some of the prof lived up across the Michigan border and so dealt with the same thing — they shifted, their work didn’t.

I also loved how the prime-time TV moved so weirdly around.

27. Kuchen says:

@RandomHookup: I would trade that any day for the sunsets at 4:30 pm in winter in Minnesota, where I currently live. So depressing.

28. yevarechecha says:

@GitEmSteveDave: #RosaRocks: I had to reset my alarm clock. That was it. My laptop, cell phone, and cable box fixed themselves. My car and stove have no clocks (don’t ask me how a car has no clock, but the people who owned it before me didn’t pick that option). The microwave clock is broken anyway and will be 20 minutes slow no matter what it’s set to.

I stayed up an extra hour instead of sleeping an extra hour. I’m dumb like that.