Least Delicious Halloween Treat: H1N1 Virus

As trick-or-treating time looms, we’d like to take this opportunity to remind you: BOO!!! SWINE FLU!

Yes, a parade of small children passing over your porch just might be an opportunity for germs to spread.

CBS News wants you to know that grubby little hands reaching into your candy bowl may not be such a great idea. Use a scoop. Or a ladle.

[G]erms can live for up to 48 hours on a surface and even longer if the surface is wet, so it’s important to avoid reaching into the bowl for candy. She said a great alternative is a scoop.

Also, discourage children (and, heck, adults) from sharing masks.

H1N1 & Halloween: How to Keep Kids Safe
[CBS News]

(Photo: chrisstreeter)

1. Kuchen says:

I guess I don’t really understand this suggestion. The person giving out the candy is the only one touching the scoop, right? Or else the scoop handle would be the contaminated part instead of the actual bowl. How is that any different from the person giving out candy just dropping the candy in each bag instead of letting the kids reach into the bowl? Unless the person giving out candy already has H1N1. In which case, just turn off your light and keep the candy for yourself this year.

2. MooseOfReason says:

Many more people die from the regular flu.

Wash your hands and have a good time.

• RvLeshrac says:

That’s relative. More people die from the regular flu primarily because they don’t consider it “serious.” Couple that with the fact that there are far more cases of normal flu strains than there are of H1N1.

All in the percentages.

Further, avoiding illness has less to do with “not dying” as it does “not felling like you’re dying.”

• hi says:

@RvLeshrac: You make absolutely no sense. More people die from the regular flu because they take it less serious than a more serious flu where the precautions (washing your hands, not touching your face, etc, etc…) are exactly the same. Please provide some kind of scientific fact and links to your source.

For example: A real doctor saying that there is no evidence that anyone needs to get the vaccine, and even the people who are telling you to get the vaccine (the president) are not taking it or giving it to their kids:

+ Watch video

3. locura79 says:

I’ve always handed out candy instead of letting kids reach into the bowl. Otherwise you would run out of candy in half an hour.

4. swedub says:

Best pumpkin carving ever!!!

5. Trai_Dep says:

I read somewhere that your privy parts were cleaner (in a germ sense) than hands or mouth.
    …I’m trying to work this factiod into this topic without getting a Halloween visit from Chris Hanson. Unsuccessfully. So I’ll just stop here.

6. wvFrugan says:

I am disturbed at the apparent cheapness of my fellow posters. Holloween, of all holidays, should bring out the generosity in all of us…screw Thanksgiving, Christmas…

As cheap a bastard as I am, I gave out only full size candy bars of the good stuff (Snickers, Twix, Milky Way) and encouraged the little brats to take 2! Last year I gave out the full size bags of the real gummi bears. If I run out, each kid gets a 2-dollar bill or one or two of those gold-toned dollar coins. I even enjoy the teenagers holding onto this last bit of glory with being a child and having the guts to trick-or-treat with no costume.

• WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

@wvFrugan: I dunno man… if you’re gonna come and take my candy, you can at least have the decency to put on a costume. Even if it’s a pair of ill fitting pants and a kerchief on a stick thrown together as a last minute hobo costume.

Work for it, people.

• H3ion says:

@wvFrugan: Where do you live and how late are you open?

7. Rachacha says:

We went out with our kids, unfortunately got a late start, but at 7:45 people were dumping 2-3 handfuls of candy in the bags saying “Here, it is almost the end of the night, and I still have a bunch of candy. You take it, I don’t want it.

I am going to start late every year from now on, visit 10 houses and you are done. No more running around the neighborhood for 2 hours for me!

Those houses that did not dole out 2-3 handfuls handed the bowl to the kids and let them pick what they wanted.

I think that Halloween is a dying holiday. I remember when I was a kid, my parents would buy big 4 bags of candy and we would always run out in the first hour and a half. My dad would take us home after an hour, and mom would go through the candy, picking out things that I didn’t like and “recycle” them. Almost every house had their lights on and was giving out candy. These days, I have hit a jackpot when I find 3 houses on a street that have their lights on.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@Rachacha: Halloween has become a kid’s holiday. How terrible. Of course adults can think of much more gruesome and scary ways to freak people out a la Dan and Roseanne Conner.

Missed the haunted houses again this year. :P

• mythago says:

@Rachacha: Oh pfft. People were bemoaning Halloween being a dying holiday when I was a kid, back when everyone REALLY BELIEVED that strangers routinely hid razor blades in candy. It’s one of those traditional things to grump about.

8. antisan says:

Someone at the party I was at showed up in a black jumpsuit with green splotches an an H1N1 nametag. It would have been funny if he hadn’t slimed up his hands with vaseline first. Ewwwww.

9. katia802 says:

We had about 10 kids total. Were giving them double handfuls of candy just to get rid of it. Sigh, remember when every house on the street was lit, and kids would be everywhere. Blaming swine flu this year, will try again next year