Chase Thinks Reader Has Amazing Bilocating Credit Card

Chase’s fraud department apparently thinks that Jake is lying. A few weeks ago, they called him about some suspicious activity on his credit card. Jake and his wife verified that the transactions were neither his nor his wife’s, the Chase representative instructed them to destroy their cards, and that was that. Until a week and a half later, when a fraud specialist called them back to deny their fraud claim, claiming repeatedly that his story “doesn’t jive.”

I returned a call from Chase bank on October 14th regarding my credit card, and was asked about some suspicious purchases, including a $289.45 purchase from Walmart and a $26.26 purchase from McDonald’s. Because my wife and I don’t use this card for anything other than a couple of subscription services (Netflix, Zune, etc.), and also because we haven’t shopped at Walmart or McDonald’s for several months, I was very confident that this was a fraudulent use of my card. The individual from Chase informed me that I would not be charged for these purchases, and that the cards would be canceled and new cards would be issued. She gave the impression of a situation handled, and gave me no instructions other than to shred our existing cards, which we did both have in our wallets. No problem, life goes on, I thought.

Then, a week and a half later, I got a call on Friday afternoon from a fraud specialist at Chase. She questioned me a little bit, and arrived at the conclusion that this situation was not fraud. Apparently, the purchases were made very close to where we used to live. She asked if we’d filed a police report, I said no, because I’d never been in this situation before, and the other woman I had spoken to didn’t give me any instructions. She made it sound like everything was going to be handled on their end. The fraud specialist said that they had identified it as my card specifically, and not my wife’s, and was very confident that my physical card was present. The problem is, my wallet and I were 50 miles away that day at a hospital for a new job orientation.

So, she suggested maybe a friend I wouldn’t suspect used my card and and put it back. Except that’s not possible either, because I didn’t see anyone between the last time the card was used and when Chase instructed me to shred it. Except my wife, of course, who wouldn’t lie about this, and also hates Walmart and McDonald’s.

The fraud specialist kept repeating her phrase of choice, “It just doesn’t jive”, which just made me increasingly more agitated.

With that, she informed me that my fraud claim was denied, and that I should file a police report and obtain security video from Walmart. I would need to provide this video to Chase, along with photo ID, so she could verify that I was not present at Walmart. Despite my extreme distress and confusion, she offered me no possible explanation for how my exact card could be used in Portland, OR when I was 50 miles away in Salem.

My question is, besides filing a police report, which I have done now, what should I do? And how can she be so confident that my card was used, when I know it wasn’t? What else could have happened?

We would guess that Jake’s card had been cloned somehow—perhaps from an ATM skimmer, or dishonest waitstaff in a restaurant. Where have they used this card in the past year?

However, a few questions remain for Jake to ask Chase, if he hasn’t already:

• Why were these two transactions flagged as fraudulent in the first place? Was it because of the retailer, the location, or another reason?
  • Why is Jake responsible for obtaining surveillance video from Walmart?
  • Will proving that he was not the person who made the purchases get these transactions reclassified as fraud?

Good luck, Jake, and keep us updated.

UPDATE: A few readers pointed us toward this delightful gem from the U.S. Code, which dictates that the burden of proof is on Chase, not Jake.

(b) Burden of proof
In any action by a card issuer to enforce liability for the use of a credit card, the burden of proof is upon the card issuer to show that the use was authorized or, if the use was unauthorized, then the burden of proof is upon the card issuer to show that the conditions of liability for the unauthorized use of a credit card, as set forth in subsection (a) of this section, have been met.

(Photo: epicharmus)

Comments

1. TheOrtega says:

Where the fraud people real fraud people? Why would a purchase at a local Walmart flag in their system? Any smart kids in the house?

• coren says:

@TheOrtega: Well, given the purchase history (small, monthly subscriptions under 25 bucks) something 10x that size would probably stand out, regardless of location

• sincbt3 says:

@TheOrtega: I had my wallet stolen in college and Wachovia called me when my debit card was used to buy hair extensions and ‘gold’ jewelry from a mall kiosk. Clearly, as a white male, these items are on my normal purchase list, so I have no idea how Wachovia knew to call me.

• Sheogorath says:

@TheOrtega:
      Discover calls us for pretty much any purchase over $100.

• bananaboat says:

Because Walmart has a high volume of fraudulent charges. I’ve had to call my card company a few times each year when buying at Walmart to confirm my identity.

• Bailen says:

@bananaboat: I know my bank has a very good monitoring system for purchases on my credit and debit cards. It appears to be a learning system that notes what kind of purchases I typically use my cards for and flags the ones that are atypical. For instance I can go out and out and buy a few thousand dollars worth of camera equipment on my credit card and I don’t hear a peep, but If the first few times I used that card to go buy flowers for my wife I would get a call about 5 minutes after the purchase asking me if I was indeed the one buying the flowers, just because it did not fit my shopping profile on that card.

2. CompyPaq says:

My question is why a purchase at a local Walmart and McDonalds would have caused a flag in the first place. Also, does anyone know what laws exist to prevent Chase from turning this on him?

• skitzogreg says:

@CompyPaq:

It was probably the amount of that purchase from McDonald’s. Only a criminal could run up a bill that high.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

@skitzogreg: You obviously need to come to dinner at McD’s with my horde of children, Groomzilla, and I. $26 isn’t even close to our record.

• CompyPaq says:

Burden of proof

[www.law.cornell.edu]

• Tim says:

@CompyPaq: In other words, the burden is upon Chase to prove the transactions were authorized. So they should be the ones pulling security videos, matching up faces, etc. Right?

• veronykah says:

@CompyPaq: Not sure, maybe the distance from where his actual address is?
      I was on vacation in CA, living in NYC at the time, and made a purchase at Target. Literally as I walked out the doors of the Target I got a call from my CCs fraud dept to make sure the purchase was indeed legit.
      That was a difference of a couple thousand miles though, not 50.

• samurailynn says:

@veronykah: Probably not, people that live in Salem go up to Portland to hang out all the time. While I wouldn’t travel that far to go to Wal-Mart and McDonald’s, I do travel that far to go to nicer restaurants and to shop at other stores.

• theyarlyowl says:

@CompyPaq: @xJake:

Jake,

All you need to do is call in and dispute this with Chase. They have procedures in place where any improper adjustment like this will be looked into. Sort of like an independent review board…
      If the card wasn’t stolen, there’s no reason to request a police report at all.

3. MedicallyNeedy says:

Good one! “Why were the transactions flagged?”
    and if his friend took it, that’s fraud too.
    But what if it’s the thief that is calling Jake?

4. Mackinstyle says:

Jake has very strong arguments to why they weren’t his transactions, but Chase is openly calling him a liar.

From my perspective, why would I ever want to do business with Chase? If my card gets skimmed and I need their help, they’re just going to call me a liar too.

• bwcbwc says:

@Mackinstyle: Not to mention their 5% minimum payments on balance transfers. From a money management perspective, making large payments is a good thing, but having it imposed externally by the bank?

5. frank64 says:

Many years ago I had a coworker steal and use my card, the CC company investigated and we figured out who stole it.

I got a phone call after I thought the issue had been resolved accusing me of being in cahoots with the person who stole my card. They said the stores had described me as a person with the guy. They were testing me to see if I broke, and nothing came of it after I explained to them I wasn’t involved, but she was very aggressive in accusing me.

Some investigators may do this just to see if the cardholder is in collusion, even if there is no evidence. If they wanted you to fill out a report they would of asked you, for me they didn’t.

By their own procedures you are not responsible unless they can show fraud on your part, which they can’t. It won’t take much push back from you to get the charges credited.

• frank64 says:

@frank64: Jake is NOT responsible for getting surveillance videos or investigating. If they request he should fill out a police report otherwise, if this is the only breach it would be a waste of time.

They are just being jerks to see what they can get away with.

• frank64 says:

@frank64: Just say that I missed you you filled out the police report. You job is done. I bet your next phone call gets the charges credited.

• JennyDreadful says:

@frank64:
        Even using their logic, I fail to see how it could help if he got the tapes.

You’re not going to be able to see who is using your credit card number just by seeing people going through lines at the cash register.

Unless he can get access to what exactly was bought at Wal-Mart with his card and at what time. Then if he he sees one person in the line buying exactly those things, but that still doesn’t help.

I highly doubt WalMart would hand over their tapes to him, anyway.

• Juliekins says:

@JennyDreadful: You’re absolutely right–without a search warrant or a subpoena, he is going to get exactly jack shit from Wal-Mart.

• Bailen says:

@Juliekins: At most retail stores I have worked security for each register has a camera associated with it and the loss prevention staff just have to type in the credit card number or invoice number into their system and it will bring up the footage of that till at that exact time the transaction happened, which is usually more than enough to tell if the charges were legit or not.

• PLAAND88 says:

@JennyDreadful: Not to him, but they will hand them over to Chase if requested. If the stores in question can’t demonstrate that they followed proper procedures during the transaction they could be stuck footing the bill.

Wal Mart will have some record of the transaction including the presuably signed credit card receipt. That will give them the exact time of the transaction in their system and the lane number, they can then match that up with security footage and see who made the purchase.

As far as I’m concerned in any credit card transaction topping $100 the retailer should be requiring a piece of photo I.D.

• ariven says:

@JennyDreadful:

Actually yes, depending on the security system and their records they would be able to produce a specific segment of tape of the exact transaction. They have had the capacity receipt/items displayed on cash register videos for years, and walmart does keep track of transactions and the card numbers used.. for example yesterday my wife (A csm at walmart) was able to identify exact items on a persons purchase and corralate it to the last 4 digits of his CC number to verify a problem with a purchase..

So, with the desire, I have no doubt that many, if not most, wal-marts could get what they needed.

• frank64 says:

@ariven: That is up to Chase, and I don’t think many banks put much effort in going after small cased of theft. They might find it easy to push the OP even knowing that he probably is innocent, and then just paying letting it go. It is all a numbers game for them.

6. DePaulBlueDemon says:

Around this time last year I got a call from Chase’s fraud department. Apparently my card was used online for some strange purchase. Like the OP, I was only using this particular card for very specific purchases. (At the time it was only being used for iTunes).

Anyway, Chase called me to inform me about this. They asked me some questions to verify my identity which I answered correctly. However, they were not satisfied with that and kept asking, “are you sure this is …” Which was really weird… Anyway, they said they would have to call back with a supervisor, etc. Supervisor calls back and I answer the same questions again, all answered correctly. At this point, though, they start asking even more specific questions, like addresses where I lived decades ago, etc. I have a really good memory and can answer these on a dime and I was just rattling them off. Once again the supervisor kept asking if this was someone else other than me! Good grief. It raised some red flags with me, too. So I told her I would have to call them back. Called Chase using the number on the back of the card and after 10 minutes navigating the menu I spoke with the Fraud Department and they verified that they spoke to me twice that day and that they were unsure of my identity, etc.

Anyway, a week later I got a letter stating that the investigation was complete and that my money from the fraudulent purchases was refunded.

I still wish I could punch that idiot CSR in the face, though.

7. xJake says:

Well, I did ask why I was flagged, and she said it was possibly because I do never use the card, and suddenly it was in use at retail again. Also, there was a charge from “DVD Express” that originated in New York, but she said that is probably one of those kiosks like redbox and that the transaction just shows New York. However, I know she was the real deal. Among other things, the charges, which had been “adjusted” after speaking with the first lady, were placed back on my statement after speaking with the Fraud Specialist.

The only thing I can take credit for here, as far as I know, is not filing a police report in the first place. But they sure should have made that more clear the first time they spoke to me.

And yes, if I provide her with the Wal Mart footage and our photo IDs, which I don’t really want them to have their hands on, then they will reclassify the charges as fraudulent.

And yeah, Mackinstyle, I will be canceling this account. Not how I expect to be treated.

• levelone says:

@xJake: Why don’t you call them back and ask to speak to another fraud specialist or a supervisor? Use the above quote provided by CompyPaq from Cornell Law regarding Chase’s burden of proof, which clearly indicates you are not responsible for proving the fraud. If you say it’s fraudulent use, they need to accept that.

Don’t just cancel your card (which may hurt your credit score) do something about their behavior. If all else fails, try an EECB.

• edesignway says:

@levelone: As for the police report it is a simple process. A few years ago my card was stolen and several thousand dollars was charged. Back then the police didn’t really know what to do, the just created a report number and had be write a statement. A few months ago my girlfriend had a $90 fraud charge. The bank was a small town bank, required a police report before it would refund the charges. Where we live now is a small town, the police had a specific form just for this case. In and out in 10 minutes.

• floraposte says:

@xJake: What would you even tell the police, though? Nobody stole your card. Wouldn’t they/won’t they just tell you to talk to your card issuer? And if the card issuer was who notified you, wouldn’t they have told you to call the police if that’s what should be done?

I’m speaking as somebody who just dealt with a set of fraudulent charges from a cloned card myself. I’m sure it helped that I’d gotten the advance warning that my number had been included in the big Heartland compromise, but still–it just took the one call, they wiped the charges and changed the account, the end.

• floraposte says:

@floraposte: Sorry, that may sound as if I’m dubiously questioning you, when I’m really questioning them.

• kexline says:

@floraposte: It took me several phone calls to get a police report about a cloned card last year. I’m sure the police would take VERY kindly to someone calling to say that, um, “something happened” to their cc.

Can he call the police ON CHASE?

• Optimistic Prime says:

@xJake: Rather than Wal-Mart surveillance, which they probably won’t hand over to you, get an affidavit from your employer. If you use time-cards, you can even get a copy of that. That should be all you need. I do believe you’re still innocent until proven guilty in this country. Though I could be wrong…

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

@xJake:I’m so sorry, dude. All I can add is that I really hope things get sorted out. Chase dicked around with me, albeit in a different manner, and I chose to take the hit on my credit and cancel my account with them rather than do business any longer. They are an evil, evil company.

• veronykah says:

@xJake: Them asking you about a police report is ridiculous.
      I was contacted years ago by the fraud dept from a card of mine, saying there were 2 charges on my card that were suspicious. Both for Sprint PCS in amounts like $300 and $500. All I had to do was tell them I didn’t make them and didn’t even have a cell phone from Sprint. End of story.
      Never saw the charges, never heard from them again.
      I would have never thought of filing a police report. How would I file it?
      “Um, hello police. My CC called me and told me someone used my credit card somehow. I still have it yes, no I have no clue who, when, where or how this may have happened. Nor do I have any proof since the phone call I just received is the first I’ve heard of it.”

• FatLynn says:

@veronykah: That was my thought too. The police don’t even take physical theft of a CC seriously, they are not going to care if someone stole your info.

8. robf70837 says:

Since Chase denied your claim you have the right to have them provide you with copies of the documents they used for there investigation.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

@robf70837: I’m sure it’ll be filled with hard-core facts about the investigation like “I think he’s a liar” and “customer refused to cooperate”… ending with “nah nah NA boo-boo, we aren’t gonna credit YOUUUUU”

9. mantari says:

Chase: We think you made these charges. Prove a negative!

I’m sure someone can come up with a reference, but it is the customer’s responsibility to REPORT fraud. It isn’t their responsibility to PROVE fraud.

10. Esquire99 says:

Good luck getting surveillance footage from WalMart. I imagine they won’t turn it over without a subpoena.

11. Ronin-Democrat says:

The other questions he needs to askare;
    Will I be compensated for my time dealing with police reports and getting video footage.

His line of attack could be for chase to compare his purchase history with the card to the fraudulent purchases.
    Are
    Does Jake have a receipt for lunch or a toll receipt for his trip.

PS I know who used his card…. Colonel Mustard in the library…..

12. Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

This is why I am glad I no longer have debit cards and have never had credit cards (albeit because I suck at mangaging bank accounts, but whatever)

• Coelacanth says:

@csparks: You must not make online purchases then… How do you handle hotel stays?

• katia802 says:

@Coelacanth: I do the same as csparks, after my first hubby destroyed my credit rating and maxed all my cards, i destroyed all of them after payoff. You can get a prepaid for internet and hotel rooms, not that hard, and since you’re not using it often, not too expensive if you want to go that route.

13. dmuth says:

At this point, it would probably be a good idea to start interacting with Chase in writing, starting by sending off a letter to them summarizing the situation, and denying that you made those charges.

As we all know, proving that a rep was accusatory over the phone is pretty difficult to do.

Good luck!

• thompson says:

@dmuth: Agreed, and cc their legal department on all letters.

• Skaperen says:

@dmuth: You can prove it if you recorded the call. You can do that legally if you live in a “one party consent” state and, being one of the parties of the call, give yourself consent to record.

• mythago says:

@Skaperen: I would never rely on being in a “one party state”, since the other person could be in a “two party state”. Just tell them that you, too, are recording the call for quality control purposes.

14. Laura Northrup says:

@Optimistic Prime: Innocent until proven guilty before the government. Chase Bank is another matter.

15. icruise says:

I’m pretty surprised that they wouldn’t just take his word for this kind of thing. It’s not like we’re talking about thousands of dollars. I would probably tell them that I would take my business elsewhere.

And I don’t know if it was the Chase person or the writer who got it wrong, but the term is “doesn’t jibe.”

16. Cant_stop_the_rock says:

Why even carry a card that you only use for subscription services? That’s just one more thing making your wallet fat.

17. savdavid says:

I record my phone conversations. All of them. Nice to have. Once a tape is full and nothing of importance is on it, I just record over it.
    As for Jake, perhaps your wife took it, gave it to a friend who used it while you were abducted by aliens?
    Chase is telling you “you are a liar”. Period. Now if this had happened before I could see them being suspicious but it is obvious they hate their customers. Their card users are thieves and are not to be trusted or treated with respect.
    I laugh at anyone asking Wal-Mart for their tapes. “Here you go, sir! (smiley face) Bring it back when you all through, OK?”. LOL

• mythago says:

@savdavid: You do? I hope you inform the person on the other end before you start a conversation that they are being taped.

• spenc938 says:

@mythago: In a lot of states, only one of the two parties has to know that the call is being recorded. If he lives in one of these states, he would qualify as that one person.

• theyarlyowl says:

@savdavid:

The other responders are correct.
      In court, the tapes would be inadmissible as evidence if the other party was not told they were being recorded.

That’s why a lot of call centers will hang up on you if you tell them they are being recorded.

18. GitEmSteveDave_Marryin'Couples says:

Oh, Chase Fraud Department? I speak Jive.

Jake said that he didn’t commit the fraud, and he’s really pissed off that you aren’t believing him. He wants to know if you can help him and stop blaming him.

19. frank64 says:

They probably are thinking if you don’t fight it you are guilty and if you do you aren’t.

• Difdi says:

@frank64: An intelligent thief acts just like a falsely accused non-thief. Why? Because that’s how innocent people act.

I can understand why fraud departments at corporations red-flag anyone who acts innocent. I can’t excuse it, but I can understand why they act that way. The problem is, reverse psychology doesn’t work on bureaucracies…

20. slackintim says:

When I had a Chase-backed brokerage account debit card that was used fraudulently (by an ex-wife) I simply had to sign an affidavit stating that the charges were not made by me. There was a free-form field to write what I suspect may have happened, such as “I lost the card at the mall” or such as the case was, “this is my ex who apparently didn’t ditch the old card”

Not once was it suggested that I was in the wrong or that I was even remotely responsible for the charges. They were immediately reversed pending receipt of the affidavit, and never appeared again. I was asked if I filed a police report, but it was not required.

It’s appalling and downright scary that Chase would act this way when that type of protection is something just about everyone comes to expect.

21. katoninetales says:

To those asking why the transactions were flagged: I have found that Chase and the banks with which we hold debit cards are all very good about this. Chase has prevented transactions from going through online and called us in realtime about them, then told us to reprocess after verifying that these were our transactions. Everything went through fine on the next try.

Certain types of transactions apparently just flag as odd, too. Apparently buying gas then groceries can red-flag a card; we did that a few months ago and got a call from the people our credit union used for fraud prevention to make sure those were our charges. (On a semi-related note, I have a real problem with things like that being referred out. How do I know that this company really works for my bank? I have to tell them to wait for a callback, call the bank/credit union to verify the other company’s name and number, then call the other company back. Similarly, I was contacted by signmyloan.com or something generic like that to electronically sign and verify information on my FAFSA, and the school could not understand why I’d hesitate or need to verify that incredibly generic address with the school).

• FormerlyAnonymous says:

@katoninetales: I once bought two full tanks of gas (two cars) in the same day at different gas stations. No problem. I bought some plane tickets totalling $1000 using my Chase Visa. No problem. Then one day I bought an app for my Android phone, paid using my Google Checkout details. $0.99. Big problem.

Chase robo-called me to ask if I recognized the $1.00 transaction for “general merchandise” (no company name). I said no to the computer and was transferred to their fraud department to deal with it.

Chase has been good to me when I’ve had to issue chargebacks against bad merchants, but their automatic fraud detection is quite bad.

• Etoiles says:

@FormerlyAnonymous: Had a similar weirdness a couple of years ago when I lived in NYC — booked a ton of travel and bought a ton of stuff, spending about $850 in one (painful) weekend, and then my card got flagged for fraud when I bought a 30-day MetroCard at the same card machine I’d been using every thirty days for the previous 2 1/2 years.

22. madog says:

Good luck getting the cops to help you. The don’t get any publicity or extra funding fom these types of crimes. It only costs them man hours.

However, it’s always wise to report everything no matter how small. If you get a bicycle stolen there is very little chance it will be recovered, but it can still help.

It’s like when you hear on the news that less car stereos have been stolen or credit card fraud is falling in the past years. Unrelated by themselves, it’s typically because fewer people report certain things. While I’m on this rant, do you think that spousal or child abuse suddenly rose in the 60s/70s, or is because those cases were traditional kept “in the family” prior and because of women’s lib in that era? Lastly, did you know that data shows that reports of school shootings (something that would definitly get reported) were falling during the decade of the Columbine shootings and the recent ones that followed? Media attention would make you think otherwise.

What the hell was I talking about again?

• jvanbrecht says:

@madog:

In many cases, its not so much about getting the cops to help you, as it is proving due diligence in an illegal matter.

I have dealt with Law enforcement for a number of different things (I work in IT security, and have done forensics for IG’s and what not). In general, anything that causes less then $5k in damages (that includes the man hours and resources required to clean up an incident, or the value of the stolen resources, its fun trying to put a dollar amount on data…), there will be no investigation. That however does not mean it should not be reported (granted, reporting a $100 charge on your CC might seem stupid). In many cases, while your report on its own may be insignificant to you, it just happens that the police have recieved 500 complaints that are identical to yours…. That will of course trigger a much larger investigation.

However, in this case, it is not up to you to prove anything, its up to the bank.

23. calchip says:

I’d say

– Call them back and politely inform them that under FCRA and applicable US code, you know that they have to prove that you are defrauding them. My guess is that your lovely Chase rep probably gets some sort of spiff for denying fraud claims.

– If you don’t get satisfaction, just file a small claims suit. Make it for the amount of the claim plus a reasonable value (not $100/hour) for the time it’s taken you to deal with all of this, and your filing expenses. You’ll have to check but you can probably serve it at your local Chase branch banking center. 10 bucks says as soon as you do that, somebody at Chase will call and fall all over themselves to resolve the issue.

24. StarVapor says:

Banker’s Tortured Logic 101:

When claiming fraud, the burden of proof lies with Chase. Their phrase “It just doesn’t jive” is a laughable form of non-evidence that doesn’t support any burden of proof.

25. boomerang86 says:

This is a very good reason to check your credit card activity online every couple of days, even with card accounts you might use infrequently.

A few years ago a card I was using very frequently (a credit union issued Visa rewards card which I paid off every month in full) was comprimised; I believe it may have been skimmed at a local restaurant. Someone cloned my card and used it in the New York City area to purchase over $2000 in commuter train tickets from TVMs (Ticket Vending Machines) in five or six locations in one weekend. My vigilence in checking account activity online using their website caught the fraudulent activity quickly.

If this ever happens to you and you contact the issuing bank, tell them YOUR CARD WAS STOLEN. Don’t mess around with “the card never left my wallet/purse/person/etc.” as that can raise suspicion at the bank to you’re hiding something.

26. GitEmSteveDave_Marryin'Couples says:

@macinjosh: Cut me some slack, Jack.

27. psm321 says:

I hope we get a good follow-up on this. Unless Chase justifies this behavior I’ll have to cut down drastically on how much I use my Chase card

28. Al Swearengen says:

A Citibank card of mine was cloned by the waitstaff at a Ruby Tuesday’s. They then proceeded to run up a huge amount of charges at a Linens and Things. The credit card called me up and told me about the charges, told me they would cancel the card and mail me an affidavit to fill out. I received the affidavit a few days later, I filled it out, the charges were cancelled, and I received a new card with new numbers. I did not have to call the police or get a surveillance video, all that was required was that I swear under oath that I did not use the card for the transactions.

As to why they flagged the transactions, I suppose they did not expect a 28 year old single man to buy thousands of dollars of bedspreads. The store was near to where I lived, so it was possible I could have bought tht stuff, but I guess the card had my spending habits pegged.

29. consumerfan says:

The OP has a responsibility to: report the fraud, answer reasonable questions and file a police report.
    The OP may present additional evidence to show where the OP was at the time.

The onus is not on the OP to investigate the fraud, in fact, that’s a bad idea.

There’s no point being aggressive or demanding of compensation. Just be calm, firm and insistent.

30. Fishy007 says:

A similar thing happened to me in Toronto. I live in a suburb of Toronto. On my Dec 2007 bill, I saw that there were 2 fraudulent charges on my PC Mastercard made in another city (Mississauga) about 30km away. Apparently someone had a night out at the movies and filled up their SUV (75L of gas) on my card.

PC Financial kept telling me that ‘the physical card was present’ for the transactions so it couldn’t possibly be fraud. I even tried to point out that I had a charge for 40L of gas from the SAME DAY at a different gas station in my town and they wouldn’t budge. I ended up getting a new card, but paying for some a**hole’s night out.

31. Ubik2501 says:

Chase screwed me over recently when my wallet got stolen and a few hundred dollars worth of charges got placed before I could close it out. I submitted the fraud claim and got temporary credit for the fraudulent transactions… then suddenly they took the money back, several days before I got a notice that my claims had been denied. Yes, even though my wallet was stolen and out of my possession for that period of time, the transactions were apparently invalid. I’m not sure there’s anything I can even do about it other than just eat the $330 of fraud.

Chase, if you’re out there somewhere, I’m seriously considering switching banks if you keep pulling garbage like this.

32. xJake says:

So, by the time I got off work on Monday, editors at the Consumerist had received an e-mail from someone at Chase who wished to help me out, and I had received a phone call from a different individual in Fraud Operations. I called back the person that left me the message and she requested the police report case number, and a copy of mine and my wife’s ID, and said they would reopen the investigation, and re-credit my account. She says the reason Kim denied my claim was because the purchases are inconsistent with the typical purchases made with a cloned card. That doesn’t make me any more fond of Kim, but at least they gave me my money back for now.

Much gratitude to the Consumerist for making Chase care.

33. xJake says:

I would, except there’s nothing to get in writing yet. They’ve simply reopened the investigation, they never said I was cleared. However, they have refunded the charges to my account, AGAIN. So that’s nice.

34. FerretGirl says:

I just canceled my Chase card due to all the horrible stories about Chase on here (but mostly this one). Funny thing, they’d charged me interest on a 0$ balance and I didn’t know until I went to cancel the card. Really? Shouldn’t that be 0? Looks like the interest that accrues on a null balance is 1.01$

I totally told Chase that Consumerist is the reason I canceled. Power of Consumerist compels you!