Fancy Fast Food Makes Your Favorite Junk Into Eye Candy

We’re really intrigued by Fancy Fast Food, which takes standard fast food items and, using only those ingredients, transforms them into something approaching haute cuisine. The recipes are available on the site if you want to try at home. (Pictured above: the Tacobellini)

Comments

1. Prole says:

It’s novel, but not practical. I’m betting that the flavor leaves something to be desired too.

Ah well, I guess one never knows until one tries.

• pattiesmart says:

@Prole: The novelty is the poitn of it, and taste doesn’t have anything to do with it.

• ludwigk says:

@Prole: If you read the recipes, it’s more of a food artist exercise than anything. For instance, they might use the soda from a value menu meal to lubricate a pureed bread concoction to give it the right adhesion properties, but that would hardly make it palatable. It also involves a lot of puree’ing things to oblivion then putting them on a nice plate.

To me, its not really that much more meaningful than taking a work boot and making it look delicious.

2. BuddyGuyMontag says:

But what does Performance Artist KORN and Fortune Teller Kazuko Hosoki think!?

3. Raekwon says:

Seems like quite a process to make the stuff without adding extra ingredients but the idea is great! I might try this some time for the fun of it.

4. sir_pantsalot says:

I have been searching for a way to eat unhealthy fast food and still be able to do dishes. Thanks you.

5. twophrasebark says:

Marry me?

6. Skeetz says:

I’m going to add this my arsenal of why I shouldn’t be in the kitchen. I live with a chef who sometimes demands that I jump in the kitchen and cook. This should work even better than the jarred sauces I keep using for everything.

7. Smashville says:

How practical!

8. henrygates says:

They cheated on the Tacobellini by using parsley.

9. sir_pantsalot says:

If I were to purchase a couple of wonderful tasty burritos from Taco Bell and someone did this to them I would probably bludgeon them.

10. Moosehawk says:

Or you could just eat at Wendy’s!

(but seriously Wendy’s, shut up.)

11. Xay says:

This will make a great Quickfire challenge on Top Chef.

12. I Love New Jersey says:

Just because it looks better doesn’t mean it gets any healthier.

13. inadequatewife says:

Frankly it scares me to see what they do with a Coke. They boiled the Coke and reduced it to plain high fructose corn syrup to make hoisin sauce for Domino’s pizza and dipping sauce for the White Castle burgers/meatballs.

But mixing Coke with pink lemonade to make rose wine sounds absolutely disgusting.

14. Trai_Dep says:

The term Lipstick On A Pig comes to mind…

15. doireallyneedausername says:

LOL…oh my god…I misread the headline as: “Fancy Feast Food…” I’m thinking, “Why the heck is Fancy Feast foods putting out recipes for humans?”

16. BuddyGuyMontag says:

@Spaceman Bill Leah: Why do I suddenly want to watch Backdraft?

• kepler11 says:

@BuddyGuyMontag: have you noticed that in the current generation of reruns from the show, the music has been completely changed? It must have been some kind of copyright infringement or licensing dispute. The music is now… not appetizing.

17. oneandone says:

In the tapas, he left the onion rings untouched – perhaps because they already are the perfect food.

I am regretting bringing a salad to work. Maybe I’ll have onion rings for dinner. mmmmmm.

18. Bryan_E says:

Wendy’s did something like this with their new “boneless buffalo wings”. I bought some the other day and they were just chicken nuggets with some sauce poured on top.

19. HogwartsAlum says:

This made me want to visit Long John Silvers for my bi-yearly dose of chicken plank grease. Unmolested, unadorned chicken planks, on a bed of crunchies as God intended.

20. Serenefengshui says:

Freakshow! I don’t know if I should drool or puke.