Recycle Old CDs Into An iPhone or iPod Dock

Do you have a dozen or so unusable CDs or DVDs lying around, some glue and tools, and a burning need for a cool-looking iPod or iPhone dock? Geeky Gadgets can show you how to combine all of these things into a functional, and fashionably recycled, gadget.

DIY: Recycled CD iPhone Dock [Geeky Gadgets] (via Lifehacker)

Comments

1. AppleAlex says:

Awesome, I was about to buy Apple’s universal docking station

$50 VS this which well i can get the tools from my neighbor and I have the CDs so

Thanks Consumerist, you saved me $50

2. Rask says:

I’m highly tempted to so something like this for my Zune120.

3. YarrrSquiddy says:

It just so happens that I DO have a bunch of unusable cds at home / in the office. That’s my insomnia project for tonight! Thx for zee idea :D

4. HogwartsAlum says:

That’s really cool!

5. Max2068 says:

I’d be careful with this though, you probably want to take it a step further and dremel out a bit of a cradle for the ipod/iphone. Otherwise, you’re putting all the stress of the unit on the connector, which can weaken it over time.

No support could lead to a busted dock connector, which leads to sad panda.

• Wombatish says:

@Max2068: +1. I had an old MP3 player that charged in a similar fashion (supported by only the connector) and it worked its way loose in slightly under 3 months. It was shoddy after that, and would come “unplugged” even while still plugged in.

That was actually my fist thought when I went to the instructions page… “making whatever’s supporting the back is going to be a beetch”.

Maybe some half(ish) CDs behind it that sit flush with the ipod, even curve around the sides a little? Something.

It will kind of ruin the floating look, but it will possibly save you from having to replace your iPod/iPhone. (Just remember to sand your edges well!)

6. floraposte says:

My old CD-ROMs got spray-painted, attached to PVC, and turned into garden plinths. Dorkiest DIY I’ve ever done, and I’m amused that various Mac OSes are holding stuff up in the garden, but it looks rather good.

7. Courteous_Gentleman says:

I rigged up this pretty cool setup with my iPhone, and it’s totally free!

First you take the iPhone, and the USB cable that comes with it. Plug the cable into an open USB port on your computer, keyboard, or monitor.

Next, plug the other end of the USB cable into the bottom of your iPhone and lay it’s back flat onto your computer table.

Enjoy!

8. Smashville says:

@Courteous_Gentleman: How do the other people walking by your desk know you have an iPhone?