6 Things To Know Now Before Buying A GM Or Chrysler Car

With the future uncertain, or at the very least, pretty different from normal, for Chrysler and GM, does it make sense to buy a car from one of these companies? How doe s the restructuring affect you as a potential new car owner? Consumer Reports Online Auto Crisis Center has the answers to six questions every Chrysler and GM car owner will want to know before signing on the line which is dotted.

1. Should I buy a Chrysler or GM?
2. Are rebates and deals available?
3. Is government help available?
4. Can I get financing?
5. What models will be available?
6. What if the dealership folds?

And if you already have a Chrysler or GM, here’s 5 things you should know too.

(Photo: Dplanet::)

Comments

1. Trai_Dep says:

Sigh.
    You couldn’t use: [icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com]

2. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Are rebates and deals available?

Locally? Not on anything that isn’t crazy expensive.

3. Guvmint_Cheese says:

I’ve implemented a ‘no bailout policy’ in my consumer decisions. So I won’t be doing business with GM, Chrysler, BofA, Chase, Merrill Lynch, AIG, or any other company that the government nationalizes. It’s becoming increasingly difficult.

• doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@Guvmint_Cheese: So you’re not flying USAir either, then.
      Not that I don’t think what you’re doing is a great idea. But until the gubbamint lets me tell them what they can and can not spend my tax money on, we’re all bailing these frakwads out.

• Guvmint_Cheese says:

@doctor_cos: Nope, I don’t fly USAir. I didn’t support any of these bailouts, and besides voting against everyone who supported them, not helping these companies is the only other option.

Unfortunately, Countrywide (BofA) bought my mortgage a couple years ago, so I have no choice there. But I did close my BofA account that I kept a little cash in. I went to a credit union years ago.

• GuinevereRucker says:

@Guvmint_Cheese: I like this policy. Keep me updated on which companies to boycott :)

4. Shadowman615 says:

The “Can I Get Financing” link is wrong — it goes to the “What models will be available” page.

5. IT-Chick says:

The report noted that depreciation is a factor when buying a car that will be discontinued, but not so much a factor if you plan to keep for more than 5 years.

Isn’t depreciation ALWAYS a factor? How long you keep a car isn’t always dependant on your personal feelings, but sources outside of your control such as a car accident. I understand there is GAP insurance, but that still puts depreciation as an issue.

Considering I have totalled every car I’ve owned, I would not purchase a new car.

• starzshine says:

@IT-Chick: Totalled every car? My goodness! That’s kind of impressive, I’m now wondering to myself how many cars you’ve owned and where you drive so I can steer clear.

• GuinevereRucker says:

@IT-Chick: I bet you live near Boston. The drivers here suck.

Or, maybe you’re a woman:

(Couldn’t resist throwing that in :)

• Joe Reilly says:

@IT-Chick: I think when they make the argument about the 5+ years of ownership, they are implying that most of the car’s value will be gone regardless of which brand is purchased.

So, whether you buy a car that holds its value very well or if you buy one that depreciates like GM stock, after 5 years you will have lost a similar percentage of the value anyway. In this case, depreciation becomes a less important factor in the total decision (and items such as maintenance and expected repairs become more important).

You bring up a good point about crashing though- this definitely causes depreciation to be an important issue if you are crash prone.

• IT-Chick says:

@Joe Reilly:

I’ve heard of many people owing more on a loan than their insurance will give them after an accident.

Oh, and I’ve owned / totalled 4 cars, one of them twice. (paid to get it fixed and totalled it again) I did own all of them though, no loans to worry about. My current car I crashed once pretty bad, but not totalled thankfully.
        And hey, who says they were all my fault?? The rollover one was kinda fun, like a rollercoaster.

6. tinmanx says:

I wouldn’t get a car from either of these companies unless I can get at least 50% off. It’s a big risk that can only be balanced by an equally big discount.

7. Skaperen says:

7. Will the bankrupt manufacturer be financially liable if a defect in their product causes serious injury or death?

I doubt it. And even after they emerge from bankruptcy, vehicles manufactured before the discharge are likely still not covered. The government didn’t cover this; they only covered warranty repairs and only if the manufacturer is liquidated.

8. Nogard13 says:

8. What happens if you are leasing a vehicle? Whom do you return it to at the end of your lease if the company no longer exists (say, Pontiac or Dodge)?

• AI says:

@Nogard13: Keep it?

• Andrew Farris says:

@Nogard13:
      You’re leasing it from the dealership who is being backed by the car manufacturer. If the manufacturer is going to fold, so most likely is the dealership. The dealership will have assets which are bought by a liquidator. They get your car.

9. carlos_the_dwarf says:

6 Things To Know Now Before Buying A GM Or Chrysler Car:

1) You are a functional retard

• AI says:

@carlos_the_dwarf: Depending on the discount, you might be a functional retard to not buy one now.

• dangermike says:

@AirIntake: agreed. I’ve seen teh 250 hp Charger SXT for around 17,000. Two years ago, they were moving quickly at 28,000+. Or 300C SRT-8 models under 30. Sticker was around 48, and they were rarely available with less than 5-10 grand more in expensive add-ons ($4000 dub and foose rims, etc.)

• Trick says:

@dangermike:

Any savings would not be worth it since you have no idea if any warranty will truly be honored. Chrysler’s are already low on the list of well built cars… how fast will those saving disappear having to fix your car on your own?

I guess if you are a good backyard mechanic with access to some of the electronic DIAG tools you could make out like a bandit though…

10. .357 says:

I’m going to try, within the next year, to get a Pontiac G8 GXP. Since Pontiac is now gone, the value of the last true Pontiac muscle car is bound to skyrocket.

• Andrew Farris says:

@Golden Commando: Sure, if you don’t drive it, and it is in fabulous shape 20 years from now.

• Black-Cat says:

@Andrew Farris: Well, that will never happen; and don’t forget that Garbage Motors only makes parts for 7 years after the end of production. So people like Mr serial killer will have his cool car sitting broke down in the garage and no chance of fixing it; since there won’t be any in the wrecking yards.

11. Wombatish says:

Nooo. I really want a Saturn Sky Roadster, but I’m not in a place to buy right now -at all-.

D:

12. Black-Cat says:

Another stupid post. How many times does this have to be covered? You only need to know one thing about buying a car from either company: DONT! This is not a hard decision to make. Use your brains! The government is going to make sure your warranty is honored? Wow, that’s re-assuring. Is that before they fix the piss poor economy, or after they create the needed jobs for the people who fixed cars at the dealerships that are gone?
    Don’t support these fucking companies!