The Washington Post writes that a national sales tax, known in other countries as a value-added tax or VAT, is getting some attention in DC, even among Democrats, who traditionally don’t favor regressive taxing schemes. The article notes some pros and cons about a VAT, as well as the small problem that imposing a 25% sales tax on everything would be political suicide.
A Value-Added Tax In America? What?
By alexchasick May 27, 2009
More From Consumerist
- Undercover Investigation Finds Serious Problems With Paid Tax Preparers
- Some Freebies And Discounts To Help You Get Through Tax Day
- IRS Issues List Of “Dirty Dozen” Scams Taxpayers Should Be On The Lookout For This Year
- Congress Pulls Together Proposal To Ban Internet Access Taxes Permanently, Likely To Become Law
- Chicago Residents Now Stuck With A New 9% “Cloud Tax” On Netflix And Other Streaming Services