The Washington Post writes that a national sales tax, known in other countries as a value-added tax or VAT, is getting some attention in DC, even among Democrats, who traditionally don’t favor regressive taxing schemes. The article notes some pros and cons about a VAT, as well as the small problem that imposing a 25% sales tax on everything would be political suicide.
A Value-Added Tax In America? What?
By alexchasick May 27, 2009
More From Consumerist
- Find Out If Your State Has A Back-To-School Sales Tax Holiday This Month
- IRS Issues List Of “Dirty Dozen” Scams Taxpayers Should Be On The Lookout For This Year
- Some Freebies And Discounts To Help You Get Through Tax Day
- Undercover Investigation Finds Serious Problems With Paid Tax Preparers
- Minnesotans Only Have A Week Of “Tax-Free” Shopping Left On Amazon