EECB Against EZ Lube Gets $50 Returned To Hoodwinked Customer

An EZ Lube store in California overcharged Timothy for a new cabin filter when he went to get his oil changed. The mechanic managed to do this by quizzing Timothy on his knowledge of air filters, then using that info to make vague assurances that sounded good but didn’t convey the actual, final price. Timothy admits that he let his guard down, but when he was hit with the final bill, he regained his consumerist footing and began to take steps to remedy the situation—and he succeeded.

love reading the posts and used some of the skills I have learned from them to clear up a recent issue I had with EZ Lube. I will preface this with an acknowledgment that I made a major error of judgment. I know better, however, I fell victim to the dreaded “Air Filter” scam at EZ Lube. I learned long ago not to ever buy an air filter or have one installed by an oil change business, as they are always overpriced and ripoffs.

Unfortunately, I let my guard down when I went on March 26th to EZ Lube #093 in San Diego, CA for a simple oil change. First, I was pushed to get a synthetic mix oil change for $52.99, which I immediately balked at, but was then told that I was a “VIP” and that they would take $8 off. I was doing this on my lunch break, so I said sure, just get it done. I signed the estimate form and went and ran an errand. I came back and waited a few minutes before I was asked to join the service technician for a 14-point inspection. Here, they had my air filter and cabin filter atop the engine, accenting the dust and particles that the filter had acquired over the past 5,000 miles or so. The technician quizzed me on my air filter, which I told him I do myself. He then pressed me on the cabin filter, which I had never installed before. My ignorance in this area proved to be my downfall, as the technician informed me that they can change this in no time and that they charge the same price auto stores do. With that, I agreed and again walked away informing them that I needed to get going soon.

My car was completed and I went to pay for the bill. I was told my total was over $140 and I refused to pay. I told them that this was ridiculous and that I was never told the Cabin filter would cost $70.

The cashier muttered something about a HEPA filter and that these things are expensive. A manager approached and immediately took off $20, and I begrudgingly agreed. I paid with my credit card, since I felt this was shady and wanted to protect my options. I then hopped on my phone and Google’d the cabin filter’s SKU. Guess what? Amazon and others sell this thing for $15-$20 tops. So, I got home and emailed my story to EZ Lube corporate. Within 24 hours, I received a phone call from Todd Mann with Corporate. We discussed what had happened, what documents I signed and what estimates I was provided. He informed my that the $70 cabin filter was likely due to labor and service fees associated with the part. I informed him that I have no issue paying for services which I am not an expert in and cannot do on my own, however I felt that I was taken advantage of and that this was simply a ripoff. He informed me that they would issue a refund on the air filter if there were inconsistencies with the paperwork they provided me, as EZ Lube apparently has requirements for proper documentation of services.

I scanned and emailed my receipt and invoice to Todd, and today was informed that I would receive $50 from EZ Lube due to the inconsistencies in the store’s documents.

Though I feel that I won my little battle here, I think it is fair to say that this scam will continue. Hopefully more people will learn from my mistake and many of the other stories out there on oil change businesses and their practice of scamming with air filters. Thanks for continuing to fight the good fight!

Comments

1. Silviu Istrate says:

I am currently in a similar situation with Firestone Complete Auto only with a much steeper bill!

These people will stop at nothing to take your money!

• AdmiralKit says:

@Silviu Istrate: Weird… I absolutely love the Firestone that I go to. For basic maintenance like oil changes, alignments, and brakes (the latter of which I’m learning how to do myself in a month), they’ve always done a great job by me. The one time I thought something sketchy had happened (I completely wore out one of my rear brake pads and they replaced both of my rotors), my car buddies actually told me that’s normal so as to keep the wear even between the rotors.

• fuzzmanmatt says:

@Silviu Istrate: Firestones are independently owned and operated franchises, so if you don’t like one, try another.

• theblackdog says:

@Silviu Istrate: My parents tried Firestone years ago to get their car fixed and they ended up ripped off…then that store got indicted because they were pulling scams on a lot of people.

• acwatts says:

@Silviu Istrate: No kidding! They tried to scam me out of about $900 for a super easy repair! They also make money by overcharging for parts. If you get an estimate check the price of the parts on the internet – and keep in mind that they probably pay much less per part by ordering bulk than you would ordering one part of the internet. In my case they had marked the parts up almost 100% over what I could get them for online! I stay away from Firestone.

2. chinadoll724 says:

I can’t remember what I was quoted at for the air filter, but somehow, they talked me into a new filter before realizing they were out. They vaccuum my old one before putting it in and told me whenever I went to go buy one, that they’d put it in for free. :)

When I went back, it literally took them 5 seconds once my hood was open. Now that I know how easily it is to replace- I’ll never let a shop do it ever again. And labor on that “service” . . . a huge joke.

• SinDex23 says:

@chinadoll724: I once had a Honda Dealership tell me that they replaced my aftermarket Cone Filter (yeah yeah ricer this ricer that) with a stock Honda filter and they wanted to charge me close to 200 in parts and labour. You can imagine how fast I had the shop manager in the bay asking him to point to my air filter and to tell the tech how he did his job wrong.

Was quite fun.

The Moral of The Story? Learn a bit about you car and you won’t get screwed in the long run.

3. RustyRyan says:

As backward as this my sound I’ve learned to go do my dealership for maintenance after being screwed by the Jiffy Lube’s of the world.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

@RustyRyan: Either that, or a locally owned, non franchise place. I have a Gaffey’s Fast Lube in Herkimer, NY that I LOVE. 15 minute oil changes, never done me wrong yet for $32.50 every 5,000 miles.

• ScottRose says:

@verucalise:

There are good and bad dealerships, good and bad “chain” mechanics, and good and bad independent mechanics. In my experience, there’s no formula for which is which, other than following online reviews and word of mouth (when available).

4. Anonymous says:

Exact same thing happened to me at EZLube last week. It sounds like the cabin air filter with no pricing is their latest scheme. I made them pull out the new one and put the old one back in when they tried to charge me $70 bucks.

• ScottRose says:

@ShyamalaTerra:

Look, I’m not trying to blame the victim here: EZLube and its ilk are trying to defraud people, and that’s not cool.

But as an educated consumer, you have a responsibility to ask for an estimate (in writing, if you want) of any work to be done and for the cost of parts such that you can make an informed decision — even at a well-reputed mechanic (which would probably just give you that info up front anyway).

You made a good move; if they do work without an estimate and then charge you an absurd amount for the work, get it reversed and don’t pay. (Tho I’d always be worried that a sketchy place like that might “accidentally” bust something else while removing that new filter).

I was once at a Mavis Discount Tire getting 2 tires replaced, and they told me, “your brakes are bad — we can’t legally let you drive out of here because it would be too dangerous”. I told them that was fine and I was going to check to see if their holding my car was legal and have it towed home (if need be) so I could do the work myself.

Suddenly they took the position: “Oh, I guess we could let you drive home if you don’t live too far away”. Yeah you will.

Turns out I was close to needing new pads, but they were in no way “dangerously” worn. The point I’m trying to make is that if you don’t trust a mechanic, then even threatening to take the car somewhere else (or home) for a second opinion can change their tune, no matter how dire their original diagnosis was.

[/end rant]

5. Bluth_Cornballer says:

Cabin Filters on most cars are very simple to change by yourself!! It’s almost as easy as changing a furnace filter in your home. Check your owners manual. There is usually a diagram on how to do it or find directions for you car on the internet.

The cabin filter for my car costs $12 at an auto parts store. The dealership charges $50 to replace it. Never pay someone to do it unless you are totally helpless when it comes to working on your car.

• balthisar says:

@Bluth_Cornballer: My trusted mechanic does it for me when I have him also change my oil. It’s dirt cheap, like the oil change. Sure, it’s not a quicky lube place, but it’s still faster and less messy than doing it myself (especially in the winter).

So I’ll just amend your “unless you’re hapless” to “or it’s worth more than to you than your time.”

• MauriceCallidice says:

@Bluth_Cornballer: 2002 Ford Taurus. Filter is secured near the firewall behind a plain plastic panel held in place with toothed spring-clips. No diagram in the manual on how to change, very difficult to do without damaging one of the clips or sending them flying across the room.

Engine air filter I change myself. Cabin air filter I let someone else do.

• ScottRose says:

@Bluth_Cornballer:

I gotta disagree with that “never pay someone” in general. I do all the maintenance on my Jeeps myself — oil, filters, plugs, other fluids, belts, bushings, etc. — but I hate working on my wife’s Saab. It’s low to the ground (don’t have to jack up the Jeeps for most stuff), small engine compartment, and inconvenient configuration. It’s worth the extra 10-15 bucks to have a mechanic change the oil. (I still do the air filters myself though b/c they’re pretty accessible).

6. Anonymous says:

i believe there have been lawsuits of EZLube for this type of action. i went there once and they tried to sell me something that my car doesn’t even have. If I hadn’t known, they could have bilked me for a $90 charge. Stay away from all EZLube!

7. Donathius says:

Stuff like this is exactly why I don’t go to Jiffy Lube anymore. They were always trying to sell me on services that were either not good for my car, or were just a way for me to throw my money away. I change the oil on both my cars myself now…and I can put synthetic in both cars for less than what they charge. $75 to put different oil in my car?! 5 quarts is $20 at Wal-Mart!.

• nursetim says:

@Donathius: That’s the reason I stopped going to Valvoline. Sounds like all of those quick change places have the same business model.

• Anonymous says:

@nursetim: News flash, these lube chains arent the only auto repair scum to Overcharge for cabin air filters. I have seen honda dealerships charge $99 flat for parts and labor of a cabin filter change. It might be $30 for the filter, but they bill at $70-$80 an hour (even if it takes 20 seconds). This is an across the board profit center for all auto repair businesses. Quick lube chains such as EZ lube might be scum for other reasons, just not for their audacity to charge $70 for a cabin filter change.

8. supercereal says:

In many cases, synthetic oil changes are a pretty good option. You’ll pay more up front, but have to change you oil a lot less often. With synthetic oil, my vehicle manufacturer recommends I change it every 10,000 miles.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

@supercereal: Ha, I wish! I was told by Kia that there was an “additive” they could put in the oil so I wouldn’t have to change my oil so often. I’ve already put 5,000 miles on my car in 2 months! I would go synthetic, but I couldn’t find anything written by Kia saying they endorsed it. Wouldn’t want them to say that I voided the warranty.

• ScottRose says:

@verucalise: I’m not a professional mechanic, but AFAIK so long as you put the correctly rated synthetic (e.g. 10W-30 — same rating as non-synthetic) in your Kia you should be OK for extended mileage. You should put in an oil filter with a higher mileage rating as well (Fram High Mileage, Extended Guard, Mobil 1, etc).

9. nakedscience says:

@Bluth_Cornballer: Or maybe don’t have the time or space? I live in an Apartment complex and there is nowhere for me to work on my car.

• Bluth_Cornballer says:

@nakedscience:

So do I, but the cabin filter really is simple to change. In my Nissan, it doesn’t even require any tools. Just open a few latches, slide out the old filter and pop in the new. Many air filters are the same way.

It is easy to be intimidated by car repairs, but some of them are very simple. A little research can save you hundreds in repair costs each year.

And yes… many times a trusted mechanic will usually replace things like filters and bulbs for the cost of the part if you are getting other repairs done. It really pays to find a good, local, and trustworthy mechanic.

• Daveinva says:

@nakedscience: It won’t even qualify as “work”– open hood, unscrew a few screws or unsnap some latches, replace filter.

If you can refill wiper fluid in your parking garage, you can change an air filter. Takes the same amount of time.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@nakedscience: In many cases, the cabin air filter is located behind the glove box, and any changeout could be performed in under 5 minutes. You could easily do that in a parking spot. Additionally, the engine air filter is normally prominently placed under the hood and again, only takes about 5 minutes to change.

Both of these are easily accomplished in a parking spot with (at most) a screwdriver as your only tool.

And if your apartment is nazi about not working on your car in their lots, say it wouldn’t start and you were trying to figure out what is wrong.

10. drdom says:

In most states, law requires that you be provided a firm estimate which you must agree to by signing prior to any work being done.

They did him no favor by refunding part of the charge that they would have been required to refund by law anyway. Given the circumstances, he shouldn’t have had to send them copies of anything.

They already had all the documents they needed to rectify the situation. I believe the only reason they asked for documentation was to see if he had enough to prove his case. Once they were assured that he did, they issued a refund that they would have been forced to give him anyway. He should have received a full refund. Not this BS about adequate documentation.

11. Anonymous says:

How about all those “flushes” they try to sell the unwitting?

There is no car owners manual in existence that sez you need to flush the radiator, trans, engine and radiator like any ez oil change ripoff center want to do. If you drive under extreme conditions like commericial service maybe..not for the rest of us!!

Tell em to flush their flushes in the bowl where they belong!!!!

• ScottRose says:

@YachneFlea: Amen.

And quite the opposite. I’ve read in numerous places that transmission flushes can be damaging, not just unnecessary.

Radiator flush is an OK idea, but doesn’t need to be done frequently (if at all), and certainly doesn’t need to be done for $100.

12. John Ernst says:

I think people fail to realize how simple it is to change their own oil and air filter. I do both myself and it has never taken me longer than 20 minutes to change the oil. Spend 15 minutes reading your owners manual and you have acquired a life skill than could save you a bundle in the long run.

If your worried about having a place to put used oil, The place you buy the oil from (IE Autozone ect) is required to take your used oil.

13. Canino says:

Good grief people, change your own oil and filters, windshield wipers, light bulbs, and rotate your own tires. Those are usually basic, basic maintenance tasks (there are exceptions, mostly on very expensive cars). And those are the items that are very high margin for these lube and inspection places (except tire rotation which is sometimes included in tire purchase, but then they get you in the store to try to sell you another set of tires earlier than you need it). Plus you know exactly what you’re getting and won’t be paying for synthetic and instead getting regular oil, for example.

I buy oil filters when they’re on sale and get enough for a couple of years. Watch oil prices and you can get it cheaper sometimes and buy enough for several oil changes. I found cabin air filters for my truck for $4.99 on sale from some place and bought 10 of them.

For the price of a normal service at a lube place (oil/filter, air filter and cabin filter, lube) you can buy some ramps, jack stands, oil pan, filter wrench, and the parts to do one service yourself. Then all you need is the parts from then on and you’re saving money every time.

• parkavery says:

@Canino: Question: If it ever comes up in a warranty claim, how do you prove that you’ve done everything within manufacturer’s guidelines? I used to keep my oil change receipts (obv) for this purpose, but if you’re buying parts a few years in advance, what do you do?

• Sarge1985 says:

@parkavery: MOst owner’s manuals have a place to record when particular services were completed. Use that or get a small notebook and put in the glovebox and reocrd your DIYs there.

• parkavery says:

@Sarge1985: Is this acceptable though? I’m harkening back to when I had to record practice hours for my driving test years ago. There were three pens involved and it took about 30 minutes before my test started; a total farce. I thought a big warranty claim would require more than this.

• trujunglist says:

@Canino:

A lot of people don’t have the space required to do that. I can’t just jack my car up in my apartment parking lot, that’s a big no-no. Unfortunately I’ll have to just find a good mechanic that wont rip me off.

14. ajlei says:

I’m taking a class this term called “Fix Your Own Car” where they teach you the basics of checking/repairing/replacing things that Jiffy Lube/Oil Can Henry’s/etc. always try to make me replace for $50+.

Just a shoutout to all the oil-change places:
    Just because I’m a 22 year old woman does not mean I’m stupid. I know how to change an air filter. I know my manual transmission does not need new transmission fluid “every 12,000 miles or it will break down”. I know you have to make money but please be about a thousand times less scammy than you are now. Thanks.

• PølάrβǽЯ says:

@ajlei: My kind of woman ;)

• Justifan says:

@ajlei:

if only more did this the scams wouldn’t be so brazen. they are brazen because they know most don’t bother even reading the car manual:P though it seems sexist i’m sure theres an even higher chance of this if its a woman.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

@ajlei: AMEN!! I can change my own oil, filters, check my fluids, air pressure on my tires… but I got 3 kids and hardly 2 mins to myself. So don’t try to fuck ME over by over charging for unnecessary shit I DON’T WANT OR NEED.

I’m talking to YOU, Monroe.

15. Onion_Volcano says:

Don’t people have fathers anymore?

16. hisnameisdre says:

I hear a lot of stories like this, but they don’t always rip you off. A few months ago i went to Monro to change my oil. In the middle of changing my oil, the mechanic came up to me and said that i could probably use a new air filter, and i agreed really quickly without thinking about it. After the mechanic left, i realized i probably did something stupid and was gonna get ripped off. But when i got my bill, he didnt charge me for any labor, just $7 for a new air filter in addition to the oil change.

By the way, i change my own oil often too, but sometimes i get a little lazy….plus when oil changes cost $15, i dont mind paying it.

17. MumblesFumbles says:

It’s one thing when you get scammed by one of these chain gimmick stores. Quite another when it’s an auto dealer. I once took my toyota to Toyota of Watertown for brake service. They told me they checked the alignment while the car was up and I needed an alignment and I should have that done. I declined as I was going to replace my tires soon and would do it at that time. Well, I replaced the tires and took my car to a different dealership and asked them to align it. The second dealership put the car up on the lift, looked at the alignment and then asked me why i thought i needed an alignment. I didn’t apparently and they told me to save my money, my alignment was perfect.

18. Danj3ris says:

It’s like the last time I went for an oil change at a Valvoline (formerly Expressway) oil change center. The worker calls me down to my car. He says “What is this?” as he pulls the cap off the radiator and lets brown liquid run into his glove. I say, “I have no clue”. He says, “That looks like rust. Your whole radiator is rusting out. When’s the last time you got your radiator checked? I ran the VIN number, (He points to a computer, but doesn’t get out of my way so I can see the screen) Toyota should have looked at this a year ago!”. It was then he said “We can do a radiator flush, blah…blah…yippie hee haw doodle dandy.”

On the drive home I wondered what gave him the idea that he could scam me. I started to question my looks, the clothes I was wearing, my voice.. This guy made me so insecure until I rationalized it to be that I got my oil changed a few thousand miles beyond what they recommend, and he figured I wouldn’t know enough about cars to say no to something.

They are F—ing vultures.

19. Anonymous says:

Every person who owns a car needs to take a course in basic auto mantinance and “noise troubleshooting”, simply so they can protect their investment from major failures, and themselves from thieves who will quickly rape their pockets when they need help. And always, always walk away from any repair person or shop that ‘feels’ any kind of shady or less than honest, especially chain stores with underpaid employees. It’s better to know that poor fellow in the nieghborhood who fixes cars in his yard. He’s very likely to tell you the truth, because it’s his good name in the neighborhood that keeps him working. Chain stores change employees like underwear, and relly on the uninformed masses to keep going. Wish you all luck, cause y’all need it! Where do you get and education? Find a kid with a ‘tunner’ and hire him/ her to teach you. (yes there are girls who know cars!)

20. Anonymous says:

I took one of my cars (99′ explorer) to Tustin Goodyear [next to Costco] last week for a $24.95 (w/coupon) oil change and tire rotation. About an hour later I got a call saying I needed new brakes (I do), new shocks, bearings packed, an alignment (due to the new shocks?), and a few other things. After the guy was done adding everything up it was $2500, all from a $25 oil change! wtf!!!!!! I said no thanks as I would getting the stuff done through a family friend for a tradeout or discount. The best part was Dennis saying “bring it back when your friend screws it up!”. Since they knew no overpriced repairs wouldn’t be coming from me, I also brought in my other car (96 escort) for an oil change and they did call to tell me that “I had a leaking radiator my friend could also fix”.
    Thanks, Tustin Goodyear Tire!

I’ll see you in a few months and see what you have to say, once I’ve actually had the recommended repairs completed for less than the cars actual value.

21. Justifan says:

walmart sells cabin filters now i’ve noticed. air filters for cabin/engine are pretty easy to replace, its in the manual sitting in the glove box, just a few clips and its done..saving you multiples of that 70 dollars. they always try to sell you a filter at oil shops, massive cash cow

22. andrewe says:

Please learn to do simple maintenance yourself. Going to Jiffy Lube puts you at risk. I remember a friend who had her oil changed at Wlmart and they didn’t tighten the drain plug. Later that day her engine was seized. Walmart offered her a free oil change coupon for their mistake. The repairs cost over $5000.

You can also expect the Jiffy places to provide the cheapest oil they can find. I’ve never seen such a place that did not use Fram (or rebranded Fram) oil filters. Simply the cheapest, worst performing and least reliable filters on the market.

• Anonymous says:

@andrewe: Yep, I had the same thing happen to me as a teenager at the local Grease Monkey. I had my oil changed right before going on a camping trip. I just made it into the campground, and as I parked my car, the engine seized up. Luckily, I worked right next door to the Grease Monkey that effed up my car, so they paid for the repairs, but it seriously pissed me off.

23. Urgleglurk says:

I only go to a mechanic for things I cannot do myself, like alignments, tire replacement, etc.

24. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@Bluth_Cornballer: Quite often you can even construct your own cabin filter out of a furnace filter, which allows you to get higher quality filter media for cheap at your grocery store!

25. yoni242 says:

Another reason not to go to these places. Just tell them what you want, and leave. They always try to sell you more then you need. They aren’t just mechanics anymore they are salesman too. And for air filters buy K&N, did this and lasted me the life of my car. Never had to change it.

26. slickdealer says:

I went to get my oil changed yesterday at Xpress Lube (Texaco’s chain). The first thing he asked when I pulled in was “You take synthetic, right?” I love the rhetorical implication, and imagine most people would say “uhhh, yeah, if you say so”. I on the other hand, while knowing little about cars, knew enough to say NO. So he checks under the hood and says that he highly recommends a steering fluid change because the engine compartment is covered in the fluids. Quite concerned, I get out of my car to look. He shows me how right around the rim of the filling cap it’s greasy. I didn’t bother to ask how this is ‘all over’, and while it might be a problem, immediately assumed he was trying to scam me, so I declined the offer. He acted shocked, like I don’t understand. “Sir, this is very important. If your power steering system locks up, it could cost you two thousand dollars to replace. We are currently running a special where if you get a full system flush, you get an oil change for free. That’s like saving $30!” Since an oil change is only supposed to be $19.99, I was curious as to where the other $10 in my bill is going to be coming from. Also, he never mentioned the cost of this ‘flush’. But I declined again. “If you’re sure….”. Yes, I’m sure.
    My bill ended up being $24.22 total. $19.99 + $2.75 Shop Supplies + $1.48 Tax. I love how on the bottom of the receipt it says “Shop Supply Fee for profit…” Kind of ballsy. Under Service Checklist, it says Rec Replace for: Air Filter, PCV Valve, Transmission, Pwr Steering, and Antifreeze. They also say they cleaned my windshield which did not happen.
    Are there any honest quick service mechanic shops anymore?

27. flyromeo3 says:

well, that seems to be the problem with society today. if we all took the liberty to learn the basic’s of air filters, MORTGAGES, automotive repairs. It would be harder to rip us off

28. AD8BC says:

Wow, I have never ever replaced a cabin air filter in the 17 years that I have been driving.

Am I wierd or something?

29. Tom_Servo says:

Hold on, I thought EZ-Lube was for…………………..nevermind.

30. William Chuang says:

Flushing your engine or transmission is not a good idea. All the built-up gunk will be dislodged and circulated through your system. For your transmission, you have to drain the old oil, drop the oil pan, clean that out, refill the transmission, then flush the oil a quart at a time from the oil return from the radiator to the transmission. No dealer will do that for you. Instead, they will just run a cleaner solution through your transmission that will pick up the gunk in the oil pan and spread it throughout your system. For your engine, put in a cup of Seafoam, redline your car for a bit, then change your engine oil with a cheap 0W-20, then rev the engine for twenty minutes or so before replacing it with good oil. You will be amazed at all the crap the thin 0W-20 gets out.

31. Ninjanice says:

I’ve had quite a few oil change places try to scam me. Luckily, I have a bit of knowledge of car maintenance and have some mechanic friends. If I feel I’m being scammed, I call my mechanic friends. I’ve even pretended to be on the phone with them when I wasn’t. It’s amazing how cheap services get when oil change mechanics realize you know what you’re talking about, or if they think you have a friend that will do it cheaper. Now I’ve found a great place for oil changes. The manager likes women that know how to maintain a vehicle. He is more than willing to let you get out of the car and see what they are doing and learn how to do some stuff on your own. Last time I went, he was showing a young lady how to check her oil, tire pressure and fluid levels.

32. Tedicles says:

“pushed to get a synthetic mix oil change “

err…that should put up some flags right away…there is no such thing as a ‘synthetic mix.’ Either it is synthetic or it is not. You CANNOT mix the 2 together either!

33. trujunglist says:

My ex went to that same EZ Lube and got scammed on a synthetic upsell and air filter. We had a discussion about shady mechanics after that.

34. spezkunk says:

I seem to always need something replaced or changed when I go in for a simple oil change at EZ Lube. I have a foolproof way to get them off my back and turn down the extras when I go in. Being somewhat of a feminist, I hate to admit this, but I just say, “I can’t do anything but an oil change, I need to check with my husband first.” The men doing the oil change seem to think it’s reasonable for a woman to need to get her husband’s permission before spending hundreds on additional items at EZ Lube, and back off. It’s sad that it has to come to that, but it has worked really well for me so far.

35. maruawe42 says:

They did the same to me except with engine belts, My regular mechanic informed me that he had just changed the belt two months earlier. Ez lube said that he must have put on a used belt,HAHA the mechanic went with me to e z lube and confronted the tech who changed his story fast
    I was given a full refund on the service plus two free oil changes(which i did not use)

36. webb_jeff says:

The local dealerships are doing it as well, but never heard this one, your air filter has washer fluid in it.That’s these little green streaks. Come on dude, I’m glad. I got out of there and will never go back. It rained for 3 days prior to taking it in, no water though. The filter was made that way, my neighbors car had the same little green streaks in as well. What are the odds? Beware if you use a southside Indpls Toyota dealer.