Next Saturday, Let IRS Agents Fill Out Your Taxes

Next Saturday, 250 IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers staffed with IRS agents will open their doors to anyone making $42,000 or less. With money tight for everyone this year, if you qualify, take the government up on its generous offer and let the IRS agents fill out your tax forms.

“The IRS truly wants to go the extra mile to help taxpayers during these difficult economic times,” said Jim Dupree, the IRS spokesman for Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

Among other services provided on Super Saturday, tax filers will be able to get copies of tax returns and assistance with letters, notices and levies on their wages or bank.

Make sure to bring along the following information:

• Valid driver’s license or photo identification (self and spouse, if applicable)
  • Social Security cards for all persons listed on the return
  • Dates of birth for all persons listed on the return
  • All income statements: Forms W-2, 1099, Social Security, unemployment, or other benefits statements, self-employment records and any documents showing taxes withheld
  • Dependent child care information: payee’s name, address and Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number.
  • Proof of account at financial institution for direct debit or deposit (i.e. cancelled/voided check or bank statement)
  • Prior year tax return (if available)
  • Any other pertinent documents or papers

Taxes are due next month. Did you do them yet? Next weekend, maybe?

Super Saturday – Get Free Tax Help March 21! [IRS]
IRS staff gets more flexibility to help struggling taxpayers [The Seattle Post-Intelligencer]
(Photo: Paul Keleher)

Comments

1. backbroken says:

Let the IRS do my taxes? How could I go wrong?

2. Skaperen says:

Will they also do an E-file on site directly? Or do I still have to do it through some untrusted corporation to do an E-file?

FYI, I never do E-file because it has to go unencrypted through some third party. If the IRS wants me to E-file, they need to take it directly. So I send it on paper until they change.

3. Shrew2u says:

Chances are that they will use Taxwise or Taxwise Online to complete and e-file the return. You can check out Taxwise and decide for yourself whether to trust them with your information. If you’re touchy about who has access to your information, go ahead and file another paper return.

It would be very nice if the IRS had the capacity/inclination to provide free, direct filing to taxpayers like California does for many state income tax returns, but I’m not holding my breath.

4. endless says:

can you say intentionally missing deductions?

• lordargent says:

@endless:

If you make under 42k, you don’t have that big of a tax burden to begin with.

/During the boom times (before the .com crash) I did a lot of contract work on the side. There was one year that I paid ~42k in taxes. Those were the good old days.

/scary is coming to the realization that you now pay more in taxes than what you earned at your prior job 5 years ago.

5. SarcasticDwarf says:

So would they be ticked if I took in my completed application (but one I am not 100% sure on) that has a schedule C?

6. dlynch says:

i am a volunteer through the IRS VITA program, and we do this every Saturday during tax season from 9-1, 5-8 on Tuesdays. Check for a site near you if you can’t make it for the “Super Saturday”. Many sites offer e-filing.

7. HogwartsAlum says:

My supervisor was doing mine for me, but she left and is not my supervisor any more. I guess I better call her and see if she’ll do them again. She said she would, but I kind of forgot it was already March!

Eeek!

8. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

…… And still waiting on that NYS refund. 41 days and counting….

Thanks for reminding me, Carey. Now I’m gonna crawl up into a ball, suck my thumb, and wait for the WTF kitty to haunt my dreams. I hate tax season.

9. MJPByron says:

So let me ask this: I am unemployed right now and thus making far less than $42,000 on unemployment benefits, but I made more than $42,000 in 2008… do I qualify?

10. Lucky_Strike-001 says:

My biggest question is who is accountable if there is an error on the return? If the IRS does them for me do I get in trouble if they gave me more money back than I was supposed to?

11. Jason Echols says:

Let the IRS do my taxes. Isn’t that like letting the fox guard the hen house?

12. T Axel Jones says:

No, it’s like letting the fox collect the eggs.

13. HiPwr says:

I hope the head of the IRS, Tim Geithner isn’t helping anyone file their taxes. I don’t think his victims would get the same breaks as an Obama nominee.

14. pz says:

@tjazar: You know, the very next page after the one you linked to starts with: “Please note that by clicking on this link, you will leave the IRS web site and enter a privately owned web site created, operated and maintained by a private business.”

15. Kounji says:

So, They’ve actually been doing volunteer taxes for a few weeks. I’ve been helping as a volunteer tax doer under irs supervision. Definitely if you make under 45,000 you should see about setting up an appointment. Those tax centers fill up fast that’s the one reason why everyone doesn’t do them.

The irs is actually good to have your taxes done through. They want to make sure you’re complying with tax code and writing off things appropriately. There are plenty of people who legitimately need help.

16. Volkan Yılmaztürk says:

i am a volunteer through the IRS VITA program, and we do this every Saturday during tax season led tv from 9-1, 5-8 on Tuesdays. Check for a site near you if you can’t bayrak make it for the “Super Saturday”. Many sites offer e-filing.