How To Cut Back On Dry Cleaning Dry-cleaning isn’t the only way to safely clean garments labeled dry clean only, and other methods might even do a better job. But it can be tricky to figure out when to dry-clean and when to hand- or machine-wash. [CR]

Comments

1. AugustaMacula says:
  2. Jordan Leventhal says:

Yup, I’m getting a 404 error too.

3. Hank Scorpio says:
  4. Hau Ngo says:

Try this link: [tinyurl.com]

5. Hau Ngo says:
  6. Hau Ngo says:

Sorry for the double post.

This is my first time commenting on Consumerist (but a long-time reader!)

I didn’t know that my URL was hidden under the collapsible comments.

7. Ben Popken says:

Link fixed.

8. kerrington.steele says:

I can’t remember the last time I had a sweater, skirt, or cotton, silk, linen, wool or cashmere top dry-cleaned. Handwashing is basically free, takes 5-30 minutes depending on how many pieces you need to do, can be done without a washer/dryer (I live in NY and don’t have one), and makes the clothes smell better (like soap instead of chemicals!).

Party dresses and suits/dresses with acetate liners — ok, dry-clean. But for everything else, handwashing is definitely the way to go. I use Ivory dishwashing liquid or Woolite, they are super cheap and smell so clean!

9. incognit000 says:

I eliminated dry cleaning entirely by owning nothing that needs to be dry cleaned. The only downside is that I only own t-shirts, khaki shirts, and jeans.

10. Jevia says:

I’ve always wondered, what does the triangle mean (that’s crossed out in the photo)?

11. redkamel says:

a) I own minimal clothes that need to be dry cleaned. Even my collared shirts etc…I told the salesman what I wanted and he hooked me up (Dont hate me. It was at Brooks brothers. I buy once, buy quality. Plus i had a 50% off coupon)

b) if it has to be dry cleaned I usually handwash it.

c) I invested in undershirts. Althouth I am warmer at work, now I just wash cheap tshirts only instead of my work shirts, since they rarely get dirty.