Search For All Recalled Peanut Butter Products With This Widget

Here’s a handy widget, courtesy of the FDA, that you can use to determine whether or not your Valentine’s Day goodies are a trap set by an angry lover.

FDA Salmonella Typhimurium Outbreak 2009. Flash Player 9 is required.

You can grab your own copy of this widget from fda.org.

Update: To clear up any confusion, there used to be a funny photo of some “double peanut butter!” candy illustrating this post. I’ve removed it so that nobody misinterprets it as a recall warning. That explains the comments below if you’re coming to this post after the baby image has gone up.

(Thanks to legwork for the, uh, legwork.)

(Photo: Hendricks Photo)

Comments

1. gatewaytoheaven says:

Is there a widget that will perhaps do something to an individual that you have fed one of these “alleged death causing peanut butter clusterf***s?”

Cause I need something like that.

Immediately.

2. Cafezinha says:

Oh no, not the peanut butter hearts! I had a pile of those saved up for the mister…he’s crazy about them. :(

• Chris Walters says:

@Cafezinha: They might be good–use the widget to search for Reese’s and check the numbers.

• consumerd says:

@Cafezinha:

No shit I even had one!

So far I feel fine, I am starting to think anything peanut butter is a bad idea. Although lance crackers said on a local newscast here that they certified their crackers are safe.

Mainly he is disturbed because his peanut butter crackers which are safe (according to the news cast) is being discriminated by this.

• Robobot says:

@Cafezinha: V-Day just isn’t the same without the chocolatey-peanut-y candy, no? This is not a fun month for peanut butter lovers.

I bought a single Reese’s Heart a few days ago at a convenience store. It was one of those “I need to eat something or I’m going to faint” purchases, so I was so focused on standing upright that I didn’t even consider the recall until it was down the hatch. No salmonella symptoms so far…

3. Kitsune says:

“Category: Candy

Brand: Bear Poop

Product Description: Chocolate Covered Peanuts

Recalling Firm: Huckleberry Haven, Inc.”

Somehow that just doesn’t sound too appetizing or shocking that it’s not safe to eat…

4. Anonymous says:

“Category: Candy

Brand: Bear Poop

Product Description: Chocolate Covered Peanuts

Recalling Firm: Huckleberry Haven, Inc.”

Somehow, that just doesn’t sound too appetizing or surprising that it’s not safe to eat…

5. Davan says:

mmmmmmmm peanut butter, chocolate and rectal bleeding…. ahhhhhh *drool*

6. ScottRose says:

Look, I know this isn’t in the proper spirit of things, but I just entered “cock” and the first result was for salted nuts.

(Yes, I have the maturity of a 5 year old, I know).

7. downwithmonstercable says:

Bear Poop and Bear Scat are the second and third options on the candy list. Hilarious.

8. posephus says:

Jezebel, you scared the everliving SHIT out of me with that photo! I just bought a bag of those Reese’s hearts on Monday and brought them in to my office to put out for passers-by. Peanut butter chocolates are the only ones safe for me to put out because I don’t like peanut butter and I won’t eat them. I checked the recall list when I brought them in but my stomach just leapt up in my throat when I saw this story. Don’t DO that to me!!!!

9. posephus says:

* by Jezebel, I mean Consumerist. Clearly. Sorry, got my blogs crossed! That’s what you get for scaring me.

10. WarOtter - I went to Japan and all I got was this tumor. says:

Hmmm I just had an odwalla bar two weeks ago, and besides a bit of a sore throat I don’t think I’m dead.

11. shorty63136 says:

Crap! Not the Boston Baked Beans!!!

12. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I need a few days off of work next week. Think I’m going to pick up some salmonella butter.

13. ForrestWhitakersLazyEye says:

Oh god, I almost shit myself when I saw the Reeses Candy Hearts….I’ve been eating those all day……..GOD DAMNIT

14. Wendy Sloan says:

I was all GODDAMIT when I saw the picture. Whew! time to eat some more.

15. Pixel says:

(For the record, we don’t know whether the candy in the photo has been recalled or not.)

If only there was a widget that would allow you to quick and easily search to see if they had been recalled or not…

Geeze guys, do 10 seconds of research.

• Chris Walters says:

@Pixel: The problem is, the recall uses lot and product codes to identify specific products, which we do not have from the photo.

There’s been plenty of Reese’s brand products recalled. If it’s still in the store after all the recent publicity, we’d imagine it’s considered safe, but this really is one of those cases where you’ll have to do the research yourself.

• Shadowman615 says:

@Chris Walters: Sorry Chris, I don’t think that’s true about “plenty of Reese’s brand products recalled.” According to their website, No Reese’s products have been recalled, and they do not buy from PCA.
      [www.hersheys.com]

I checked this before buying Reese’s cereal last week. Although that stuff will kill you even without salmonella.

• Chris Walters says:

@Shadowman615: do a search for “reese’s” using the widget. As of today, four results come back, two for cookie dough and two four “Reese’s Pieces” brand cookies.

Hershey may be fine, but some other companies that license the Reese’s name might still use PCA. Hershey even mentions that on their press release page, albeit in a roundabout way that’s easy to overlook.

16. xsmasher says:

Expecting a call from Reese’s lawyers in 5… 4… 3… Seriously. That photo choice is funny, but unwise.

Frequent readers of Consumerist usually pick up on the fact that the photos are usually “related” to the topic, and not of the topic in question; but new readers assume that when you show a picture of a Wal-mart in an article about a Wal-mart, that the photo is from/about the article. Witness the confusion in the burning luggage article.

TV news works around this issue with footage vs. infographics. Do you have a story about a car hitting a dear? Put a postage-stamp sized infographic of a stock-photo deer and a stock-photo car above the anchor’s right shoulder. Viewers will know it wasn’t *that* car and *that* deer. Also, when showing old footage, they either caption or announce “in this footage, taken at last year’s event…”

Consumerist has no such separation between infographics and “real footage,” and it continues to catch me, even as a long-time reader.

17. Anonymous says:

I checked the widget to see if the candy in the photo was made with contaminated peanut butter…it’s not. Even though you have a text disclaimer, your graphic is misleading and unfair to Hershey’s. If you must use a graphic, please use a picture of a product that actually has contaminated peanut butter in it.

18. Gravitational Eddy says:

Yeah Chris, you might get some grief from the HERSHEY people over that picture…. shoulda gone with the stock photo of a peanut in the shell. At least let us know if you’ve found a tainted product that will let you display it as such

you can always add the disclaimer…
    “Now with 100% more Salmonella!”

19. aguacarbonica says:

I just have been trying to avoid peanut butter completely to save myself some heartache. And stomachache.

20. ForrestWhitakersLazyEye says:

Two of the recalled items: Bear Poop and Bear Scat.

21. Shadowman615 says:

To clarify, no reese’s products have been recalled:
    [www.hersheys.com]

• Chris Walters says:

@Shadowman615:No, no Hershey-produced products have been recalled. Do a search for “reese’s” using the Widget and you’ll see that four items licensed to use the Reese’s brand have indeed been recalled. Two are Reese’s Pieces, but that’s splitting hairs when you’re just trying to remember which products are okay to eat.

I overstated it by saying “plenty of,” I’ll give you that much, but Hershey is confusing the issue by making it sound like not a single item with Reese’s on it has been recalled.

22. theblackdog says:

One of my friends just ended up with one of the recalled Clif bars. I guess some grocery stores aren’t scrutinizing very well.

23. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i like this widget. i keep a variety of candy and snacks at my desk at work and have been keeping close watch on the recall list to make sure i am not feeding my coworkers anything dangerous. thanks

24. calquist says:

First Reeses and now babies are full of salmonella?!

25. howie_in_az says:

Category: Candy
    Brand: Bear Poop
    Product Description: Chocolate Covered Peanuts

wtf

26. mythago says:

“Hey, come on into the break room! There are cupcakes and peanut butter hearts.”

“Uh, guys….PEANUT BUTTER hearts?”

“Oh shit! I ate one of those!”

I am talking about intelligent, educated people with advanced professional degrees. No, I don’t know what they were thinking either.

27. JulesNoctambule says:

My husband and I took care of our friends’ daughters last night so they could have a night out. The girls brought us a Valentine’s gift they’d picked out all their own — a box of Reese’s peanut butter cups. Bless.

28. the_wiggle says:

like! added. shared :)

29. SpiderPaintingDollars says:

Has anyone else had the problem with the Salmonella widget where it only lets you enter one letter?

30. WorldHarmony says:

Hmmm peanut butter whoppers are not on the list, but I cannot find them in any store!