Both the president and plant manager of the Peanut Corporation of America refused to answer any questions at the hearing, citing Fifth Amendment protections. One congressman held up a jar of recalled products, wrapped in police tape, and asked if either would be willing to eat any of the products. They declined to answer. (Photo: C-SPAN)

Comments

1. lalaland13 says:

So why even show up? These people are going to jail, I hope. Or some people with the company should be, because this is Fuckery of both the crunchy and creamery varieties.

“Oh, there’s salmonella-hmm, surely no one will notice. Go ahead and ship it.”

2. Angryrider says:

Well duh. It’s like asking that guy if waterboarding is torture. And it would be if it was done to him.

3. Nighthawke says:

Morons. THIS is what management driven to the point of desperation gets you; a bunch of bad products on the market with little or no explanation to cover for it.

Their role model must be the PHB from Dilbert.

Hope they wind up in a Federal Pen somewhere and wind up getting to “meet” Mr. Tiny.

• hypnotik_jello says:

@Nighthawke: Well, it’s pressure to deliver earnings to shareholders and make a profit.
      The bottom line is always more important than the safety and health of people. I thought this was common knowledge.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@Nighthawke: Considering the current economic crisis, and the affordability of peanut butter, I don’t see HOW they could be worried about their bottom line. Really.

• RandomHookup says:

@Nighthawke:Like most “too smart by half” criminals, they just assumed if they cut corners, they wouldn’t get caught.

4. ForrestWhitakersLazyEye says:

Scumbags. That’s all that really needs to be said.

5. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Well, it IS within their rights to hide behind the protections granted with the Fifth Amendment. I know if I were accused of something and I know it wouldn’t look good placing myself at the scene of a crime I certainly wouldn’t want to incriminate myself if I didn’t do it.

Of course, the evidence is NOT on PCA’s side. They’re going to burn either way. They better or else there will be a riot. The Peanut Butter Riots of 2009.

(I’m looking to loot a new TV myself)

6. Michael Knoll says:

If this was China they would be executed for this. While I normally don’t support extraordinary rendition I would make an exception in these cases. I hope they go to jail for murder.

7. cmdrsass says:

I wouldn’t answer any questions in Congress’ kangaroo court either. They wrapped the PB in police tape? Comeon, they’re just playing to the cheap seats.

• Ash78 ain't got time to bleed says:

@cmdrsass: The cheap seats dominate about 75% of the electorate, I’d venture.

“Durrr, you can’t come here in a jet! Yes, I fly in a jet several times a month, but dammit I’m an important politician!”

“How dare you make profit exploring, refining, and distributing a precious commodity!

• floraposte says:

@cmdrsass: I wonder if it would have been smarter for them to talk to Congress, though, since Congress generally isn’t very good at investigating, and has in the past mucked around so badly that they’ve made criminal prosecution impossible.

8. Skeetz says:

Tie their hands behind their backs and put some of that peanut butter on bread and stick it to the roof of their mouth.

What’s that?

mmmphhhh mmmmphhhhhh

It’s salmalitious?

mmmphhhh mmmmphhhhhh!!

You wan’t some more?

9. jaydez says:

They need to be forcefed the shit they put out on the American public.

These asshats need to then go to jail and only be alowed 3 squares a day (of peanut butter sandwiches and nothing else).

10. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

“One congressman held up a jar of recalled products, wrapped in police tape, and asked if either would be willing to eat any of the products.”

How very Erin Brockovich of them!

11. axiomatic says:

Want to make them really cringe. Tell them you are going to feed the tainted PB too their children.

(To those who can’t read between the lines. I don’t really want them to feed the tainted PB to the children! Tactics!)

12. dragon2o00 says:

so these people are likely to go to jail for a short duration while the people who did the same thing in china were sentenced to death…

• floraposte says:

@dragon2o00: No, they weren’t. In China, food was deliberately adulterated, and that’s not what’s happened here. And plenty of the people involved in the adulteration in China weren’t even prosecuted, let alone sentenced to death.

13. FLConsumer says:

This just shows that Congress has no balls. I’ve arrested people with far less evidence. In my opinion, these two individuals should have been arrested on the spot for public endangerment and manslaughter. Those two charges + the two being a strong flight risk would mean you could keep them in jail until their trials. It’d set a rather nice example to the rest of the Agribusiness community to spend a few bucks on food safety rather than the <$0.01 they do now.

14. bohemian says:

I sort of like some of these theatrical moments in Congress. They are supposed to be representing us. Who wouldn’t have wanted to offer the owner of that company a big heaping spoonful of tainted peanut butter just to watch him squirm and tacitly admit it is inedible.

It sounds like they will lose every penny of their personal greedy wealth. The Hartford is suing them for breech of policy to assert that the insurance policy terms were voided and The Hartford has no liability.

I hate insurance companies but they are probably right, the companies actions would have violated just about any commercial insurance policy written. I just hope the FBI is monitoring these people’s accounts for sudden transfers out of the country or big withdrawals.

15. richcreamerybutter says:

Upon first glance, I thought the photo was Statler and Waldorf from The Muppet Show.

16. oneandone says:

I appreciate the theatrics of it – but I’m hoping some more serious squirming happens when congress decides to write & pass something like a ‘reveal the sources of all your ingredients on the label & what inspection ratings those places got’ act for foods. It’s a fantasy of mine….. but wouldn’t it be great that if some point in the future, when the next salmalitious factory fails first inspection we can all see it in the products on the shelf, avoid that brand or anything containing those products, and they instantly feel it in their profits?

It would be a major incentive to keep things clean & safe. Like I said, I appreciate the theatrics, but I hope something substantial comes of this. It’s not like these are the only tainted foods around.

17. perruptor says:

Isn’t it interesting that the owner of PCA served on an Agriculture Department advisory board on peanut quality, until he resigned the day before testifying to Congress.
    [www.washingtonpost.com]
    You’ll never guess which ex-President appointed him to that board.