Man will be reimbursed after rats and birds ate his bag of $20 bills. Apparently, they were kind enough to leave the serial numbers intact. The man’s bank manager says that the U.S. Mint “officials instructed her to send the reassembled bills and the [rodent] feces and feathers to them in Washington, D.C.” [AP via Fark]

Comments

1. SkokieGuy says:

Call the waaaaahmbulance!

Hey, rats in the morgtage and investment industry have shredded 60% of my net worth.

May I send the remaining fragments of my 401K to the U.S. Mint to be reassembled?

Oh, right, then only print money for Wall Street, not me on Main Street.

• catskyfire says:

@SkokieGuy: Sorry, but your 401K was using electronic money, not physical cash. And the Mint does print money for ‘you on main street’… if you’ve used paper money lately, that’s where it came from.

2. SkokieGuy says:

I just can’t stop reading that last sentence:

“..officials instructed her to send the reassembled bills and the [rodent] feces and feathers to them in Washington”

Send your feces and feathers to Washington. Give me open mike night, that’s worth a good half hour right there.

Bless you Meg!

3. bball123h says:

And here I thought that the rodent feces and feathers were already in DC. I learned something today.

4. esd2020 says:

The Mint is actually pretty cool about helping you out with mangled currency.

5. Branan says:

Pretty much as long as you have a serial number, or even a part of the bill that can be identified as definately being currency, the mint will replace any damaged or mangled bills. I’m not entirely certain why this is newsworthy at all, but at least there isn’t a whole consumerist write-up on it.

• samurailynn says:

@Branan: I thought you had to have 51% of the bill that needed to be replaced. Maybe that’s just if you’re taking it to the bank. One time I cleaned out a car that was really nasty and found a disgusting $20 bill. I took it to the bank in a ziploc baggy for a fresh new one.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@samurailynn: It’s 51% of the bill, or both serial numbers, and I think the portrait can also be used. I watched a whole special on this many moons ago, which is why I am not completely sure of my facts. I do remember someone had a whole bunch of twenties that burned or decayed, and all that was left was the middle of the bills, including the portrait, and they replaced all the bills.

• bluewyvern says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: Hey! That’s great! If I get a nice crisp Franklin, I can cut out the portrait, get $100, cut out the serial numbers, get another $100, then present the remainder of the bill — which has to be more than 50% — and get another $100!

The >50% rule is the only one I was familiar with. I seem to remember seeing some documentary with a mint worker painstakingly measuring just about half of a bill under a microscope to determine how much was left.

About this story, though…I’m still trying to figure out where the feathers came from. Mouse attack, ok, but feathers?

• RomanaNuggler says:

@Branan: @Branan: I had half a $5.00. it had the whole portrait, and a serial number. No one locally would exchange it for me. I sent it into the mint over a year ago, and never heard back from them.

so the man was lucky they would do anything for him

6. Khuluna says:

My brain is broken. D: So if my mouse shreds LOTS of my money and I send them mouse-poo, I get my money back?

Nope. Still broken.

7. bobpence says:

I remember seeing a TV article about this MANY years ago. Essentially, they work with magnifying glasses and tweezer and will replace any bill they of which can reconstruct just over 50%.

Of course, “they” are NOT the United States Mint. They are a separate agency within the Treasury Department, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The mint makes coins.

8. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I love how rodent was added by an editor. It was clear to the customer it was rodent feces, but readers might think they just are requesting any available feces.

9. 12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

Good job by the US Mint/bank manager trying to get the guy sick:

[www.cdc.gov]

10. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Oh, and I have a cat that shreds paper by taking tiny bites of it with his front teeth, and spitting it out. It’s adorable when he pulls the paper banners out of a dish of hershey kisses, or is playing with a paper bag…not so much when I found him munching on a $20 bill.

11. goodywitch says:

I’m confused, why does the mint need the feathers and feces?

• Dont Know Me? You Are Me. says:

@goodywitch: I can’t speak for the feathers. But just like the bits of corn in your feces, there are undoubtedly bits of cash in the rodent’s.

12. Grimmtooth says:

The US Mint has nothing to do with currency issues, they are coinage only. However, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing does, in fact, offer such a service. I trust that it’s just a minor mistake rather than signs of fakitude.