Study: There Is All Kinds Of Nasty Crap In Your Bottled Water

A new study challenging the idea that bottled water is “purer” than tap water found a laundry list of nasty substances in major brand name water, and named two brands that exceeded California’s health standards.

Here are a few choice goodies found in the water: Coliform bacteria, caffeine, the pain reliever acetaminophen, fertilizer, solvents, plastic-making chemicals and the radioactive element strontium.

All brands met the federal standards for drinking water, though researchers were concerned enough about two of the brands to release their names.

Sam’s Choice sold by Wal-Mart and Acadia of Giant Food supermarkets contained chlorine byproducts above California’s (stricter) standards, according to the Washington-based Environmental Working Group, an organization founded by scientists that advocates stricter regulation.

From USAToday:

In the Wal-Mart and Giant Food bottled water, the highest concentration of chlorine byproducts, known as trihalomethanes, was over 35 parts per billion. California requires 10 parts per billion or less, and the industry’s International Bottled Water Association makes 10 its voluntary guideline. The federal limit is 80.

Water researcher Dr. David Carpenter, director of the Institute for Health and the Environment of the University at Albany, who had no role in the study, singled out trihalomethanes as the biggest concern because of strong research links to cancer.

“These are levels that should not be in bottled water,” he said.

Giant Food officials declined to comment. Instead, company officials released a brief statement asserting that Acadia meets all regulatory standards.

Acadia is sold in the mid-Atlantic states, so it isn’t held to California’s standard. In most places, bottled water must meet roughly the same federal standards as tap water.

The researchers also said the Wal-Mart brand exceeded California’s limit by five times for a second chlorine byproduct, bromodichloromethane.

The Environmental Working Group said it notified California’s attorney general of its intent to sue Wal-Mart. The group wants the company to label its bottles in California with a warning of cancer-causing chemicals. Wal-Mart did not respond to a request for comment.

Ultimately, the researchers concluded that bottled water was, in some cases, no less polluted than tap water, and a waste of money. They recommended filtering tap water yourself.

Group: Wal-Mart, Giant bottled water shows more contamination
[USAToday]

Comments

1. VA_White says:

Wal-Mart sells crappy water? In other news, the sky is blue and your dog wants steak.

I really think bottled water is a total racket. We filter at the sink here and pay almost nothing for it.

• DashTheHand says:

@VA_White: You pay for filters, which still have a ridiculously low number of uses. And depending on your setup, you paid for the device the filter goes in as well. And you pay for the water. So “almost nothing” is really an ambiguous amount.

• Josh_G says:

@DashTheHand:

The way to truly pay almost nothing is to filter your water as soon as it comes into your home. I do, bought a PureMasterâ„¢ V-750 Premium Whole House Water Filtration System on super sale for $325. Doing that filters all the water that my appliances use, effectively extending the life of my water heater, washer, etc. (Ever seen inside a typical water heater after 7 or 8 years, barf!)

Beyond that upfront cost it is only $10 every 2 months, $10 every roughly 8000 gallons.

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

@VA_White: my dog wants carrots, not steak.

2. bronsonw says:

This is the answer!

[www.amazon.com]

3. jaydez says:

I got one of those filters on the door of my fridge. The water out of it tastes better than any bottle water I ever drank.

• alexawesome says:

@jaydez: unfiltered tap water tastes better than bottled water, depending on where you are. Likewise, REAL spring water has a fresh, sweet taste. Bottled water does not taste good.

• Triterion says:

@jaydez: Even Fiji?!

• SybilDisobedience says:

@alexawesome: Yeah, my tap water tastes just fine. I’m not paying a dollar per bottle for something from a municipal source, meaning tax dollars already paid for its cleaning and filtration at the treatment plant. I have been known to waste my money on occasion, but that’s even too stupid for me.

4. MikeF74 says:

I can never drink the bottled “purified” tap water products, like Coca-Cola’s Aquafina. I always taste the chlorine, while most around me cannot. For me, it’s spring water only.

• MrEvil says:

@MikeF74: Coke’s bottled water is Dasani, Pepsi bottles Aquafina. Both are just soda without the carbonation or syrup.

• rwakelan says:

@MikeF74: Coke’s water brand is Dasani. Pepsi owns Aquafina. Both are purified tap water though.

• howie_in_az says:

@MikeF74: “Yeah, because when I think ‘clean water’, I think Coke and Pepsi.”
      and
      “To me, Aquafina means ‘the end of water’.”

Oh Mr. Black, how I love thee.

• RedmondDesomma says:

@MikeF74:
      @MikeF74:
      You still have to read the labels on spring water. Lots of companies register a trade mark that includes the word “spring” – so you’re still paying $1.59 for tap water. I actually prefer the taste of tap water. Bottled water (even water I put in a thermos myself) tastes stale and plasticy to me.

• mountaindew says:

@MikeF74: I’m the same way. I can taste the chlorine on Dasani as well.

• shufflemoomin says:

@MikeF74: Exactly right. This article is VERY misleading. It’s not bottled water in general that’s the issue, it’s filtered or purified water in bottles. Natural spring water is fine and most definitely better. I don’t get why anyone would pay for this stuff when it’s just bottled tap water. At least a reputable mineral or spring water is safer and usually tastes immeasurably better.

• 310Drew says:

@MikeF74: Aquafina is a Pepsi product. Dasani is bottle by Coca-Cola and is the tastiest water ever !

5. taylorhempel says:

Nuff said.

• closed_account says:

@taylorhempel: I dont even know where to begin. Awesome.

• IrvCrapper says:

@taylorhempel:
      Take the Bull Shit test further.

New York has the best water in the country.

• floraposte says:

@IrvCrapper: It’s won best in state awards, but it doesn’t tend to take the national crown, and in fact Albany beat it out for regional representation. Louisville took top honors this year:

[www.awwa.org]

• battra92 says:

@floraposte: Hey Latham NY (about 15 minutes from Albnay) is Aquafina’s source I believe so yeah, it’s pretty good.

The Hoosick area has pretty good water as well.

Western MA doesn’t have as good of water but that’s mostly due to bad pipes in most homes. Our water is gritty unless we filter it. $10 every 5 weeks or so is a small price to pay for filtered water with a PUR filter considering the crap that is in our water (though it is technically safe, it tastes nasty)

• Valhawk says:

@taylorhempel: Your mileage may vary based on locality.

6. Angryrider says:

Pssh… I’m not surprised. What do ya expect? The minerals of mineral water are partly feces, since minerals= rocks, animals sh- on rocks. End of story.

• valarmorghulis says:

@Angryrider: To clarify, for something to be considered a “mineral” it has to be naturally occuring and produced through a geological process. Few toxic substances, and all feces fail to meet that qualification.

Now I have to go dunk my head in water as pennance for being the nit-picking asshat.

• Corporate-Shill says:

@Angryrider:

The water industry calls those contaminents: Moose Piss. I think you can figure out why.

Remember, everythig flows downhill.

7. Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

DAMN. I drink Acadia water by the gallon. My house has well water, which while safe to drink, has carbon, sulfur, iron, etc… which makes it taste terrible. I say this as I have a gallon of their water right by my side. I have tried all the local stores water, and I liked Acadia the best.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: BTW, I can’t filter cheaply as the filters clog usually in less than a month, and also, as soon as any sulfur gets captured by the filter, the water smells like rotten eggs till you change it. And this is water that passes through a whole house filter, THEN a carbon filter at the tap.

• taylorhempel says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: @Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: @taylorhempel:

Well, and most bottled water (if you look at the ingredients) has sodium in it.

Granted this is probably for taste, but what else does salt do to you?

Everybody say it with me now…”makes you thirsty!” That’s right! Good job everyone! SO proud! ;)

/sarcasm off :D

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@taylorhempel: So I shouldn’t install a water softener then?

• valarmorghulis says:

@taylorhempel: Actually, if taken properly salt can help you keep properly hydrated. Granted this requires the consumption of additional water after the salt, but if it’s in the water anyway that isn’t an issue. Most survival literature will have a bit about this where you are essentially pulling the water from you body with the salt, and then providing it with plenty of water to resuply with. You’re body will absorbe more than it lost from the salt.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@valarmorghulis: Also, you NEED salt/saline to live. If you have sodium level is too low, you will die. Case in point is the lady who died in Florida in the “Hold your wee for a Wii” contest. She drank too much water and threw her sodium balance off. She would have lived if she had gone to an ER and gotten a saline drip. Some people actually over drink to throw the chemicals off, and they get a high/drunkiness off of it. It’s called hyperhydration.

• DashTheHand says:

@taylorhempel: It also replaces the salt that you lose when you sweat or urinate. You can replace your salt lick now.

• valarmorghulis says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: My issue with bottled water has never really been the toxicity levels in relation to the locally available water supply, but more the efficientcy of the whole process. The last statistic I recall (what’s with that huge grain of salt…ooooh) a bottle of water required over 5x the volume it contained to produce and market it. It’s asinine.

Your situation is different thowever where the locally available supply isn’t palletable, and filtering is both expensive and inefficient. If you were interested in it though, there are other alternatives. You could attempt to distill your well water (which could have cursory benefits), or if you get a lot of direct sunlight, you could do a solar-evaporation method (like is used for desalination). Or you could continue to buy bottled water because it’s easy and doesn’t taste like sulfer.

• iaintgoingthere says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: which diner are you in the Penn and Teller water taste test?

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@iaintgoingthere: I am serious when I say my water is orange and smells like eggs. There are actually rust stains on the grate I pour my water into the coffee machine as well as all over my sinks,showers, and washing machine(and some white clothes).
        Here’s a test. Which glass is Acadia water, and which is my filtered tap water?:

8. nikkimarie says:

Filtering your own water obviously makes more sense for saving money (and apparently, safer for you).

But so does grilling your own hamburgers and McDonalds still makes a lot of money.

• closed_account says:

@nikkimarie918: I cannot put together a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger for $1 like I can get from Wendy’s. It just cannot be done. I live alone and it is not cost effective for me to purchase all of the ingredients. Water on the other hand is easy.

• lalaland13 says:

@chadbailey: I switched to Brita filtering a few months ago, and it’s been good so far except I still drink bottled water at work, since I almost never drink soda and the machines here only have soda or nasty juice. That, and I don’t like dirtying up glasses at home for water.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@chadbailey: This explains KFC’s new commercials strategy of “You can’t make it cheaper than you can buy it from us.”

9. femaleconsumerist says:

Bottled water is bad just from the facts that the plastic bottles are wasteful and the amount of energy and resources used to transport them across the country and world is wasteful/polluting. The fact that there’s crap in it too is just another good reason to buy a filter for your tap water.

10. IrvCrapper says:

Looks like Sam chooses poisoned water!

11. dragonfire81 says:

And people still make fun of me because I choose to drink “nasty” tap water instead of “cleaner” bottled water.

That’ll show ‘em

• shorty63136 says:

@dragonfire81: I never understood that. I grew up on tap water, was never sick (no more than the normal child who refused to wear a coat when playing) and I still drink tap water.

Clean is one thing but I just think it’s unnatural to sterilize and make everything antibacterial. How else will your body know how to fight things off if it’s never exposed to anything to built up antibodies.

You can pretty much identify dirty water if you look. Tap is fine for me.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@shorty63136: Except they’re obviously not sterilizing the bottled water. :/

I don’t think people are worried about germs in their tap water though. I think it’s more about chlorine and pharmaceuticals.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@shorty63136:

There’s a theory which holds that all the “antibacterial” crap, sterilizing your kids, never letting them play in the dirt, etc. is why so many kids have fatal allergies today, compared to when I was a kid. (In the 1970s). No one used Germ-X – we just used soap!

• kathyl says:

@dragonfire81: You should see the looks I’ve gotten a few times, filling my daughter’s sippy cup at a sink while we were out and about. It was like they’d witnessed me feeding her raw sewage with a spoon.

They can keep on giving their children bottled water, adding to the landfills and wasting money. And giving me dirty looks, I might add, as I don’t think anyone should pay too much attention to that kind of stuff.

• battra92 says:

@kathyl: Actually PET (what the bottles are made of) is great plastic. You can make some really nice fleece blankets or a 70s jumpsuit from them … or more bottles.

The problem is that people don’t return them. I’m all for putting a deposit on water bottles to help with that issue.

• kathyl says:

@battra92: Yeah, I should have specified, but a lot of those bottles, though recyclable, make it to landfills instead because people don’t return or recycle them, just like you said.

12. MrEvil says:

Municipal Water has Federal regulations under the EPA. Whereas bottled water is considered a food product and is only regulated if it is bottled and sold across state lines. If the product never crosses a state line then it’s up to individual states to regulate it.

Bottled water is really just more convenient than bottling it yourself.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@MrEvil: According to Alton Brown:

Bottled water falls under the watchful eye of the Food and Drug Administration, which is required to uphold the standards set for tap water by the Environmental Protection Agency. Although state governments may adopt higher standards, although there have been no incidents of food-borne illness attributed to bottled water, there is no reason to assume that it is safer than what is supplied by your municipality.

[goodeatsfanpage.com]

• Branan says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: I think the “watchful eye of the Food and Drug Administration” bit should set off warning bells for everyone.

• Git Em SteveDave loves this guy--> says:

@Branan: Well, this is from a transcript of a episode of “Good Eats”, so they had a “agent” reciting this. The complete transcript is linked below the quote.

• oneandone says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: Water bottled and sold in-state is subject to FDA regulation, which means it is required to meet EPA standards for water but not all processes. The biggest significant difference is in the # of samples that are pulled from the water source. Municipal suppliers usually have to test about 7 times a day. Sources for bottled water are tested much more rarely – and imo are less likely to pick up trace disinfection byproducts that cause these kinds of problems on a scale as large as Walmarts.

13. FoobieBlecch says:

I wonder if “an organization founded by scientists that advocates stricter regulation” might be completely objective …

14. Quilt says:

It amazes me how much of this shit people buy. I was in the grocery store the other day with my roommate and she was ecstatic that she found a “great deal” on some bottled water. I’m pretty sure I get a better deal on my tap water then she does on her bottled.

15. Crabby Cakes says:

This reminds me that I need to get new filters for my Brita.

16. mbz32190 says:

Sometimes I buy bottled water for convenience’s sake (yes I know I could easily fill up any bottle) just because it’s easier to grab a bottle and run. I buy the cheapest store brand though, and at under $4 for 24 bottles, it is worth it to me (I filter my water using a Brita pitcher at home). I do however, laugh at the people grabbing cases of Aquafina which costs more than the store brand water that actually comes from some sort of Spring.

17. Toof_75_75 says:

Surprise, California is convinced something else causes cancer…

18. neega says:

This doesn’t surprise me a bit. When I was pregnant, and my sense of smell went ultra sensitive, I couldn’t drink any water bottled in plastic. I could smell the plastic itself, and when faced with some brands, including aquafina, I could smell the other crap in them as well. I couldn’t even drink water from our Brita filter. But I could drink water from a Pur filter, and one type bottled in glass (yea, I know, carbon footprint, blah, blah, blah). Now I use a Kleen Kanteen, and it may be the best purchase I’ve ever made.

• TangDrinker says:

@neega: I had this happen to me, too, when I was pregnant. The Brita filter was the worst. I ended up bringing the filtered water from work home with me in a stainless steel travel mug. I’ve upgraded to an Oggi bottle – and am quite pleased!

19. SableHemlock says:

I’m taking an environmental engineering class at the moment and we’re covering drinking water right now. Honestly, I feel better drinking from the tap knowing it’s covered by the EPA and completely understanding the process that they use to treat the water – from the source until it comes out of the pipe. Bottled water can really get questionable because I really don’t think the FDA has the ability to manage all it along with everything else that it has to take care of.

• youbastid says:

@SableHemlock: While I’m not one to trust a private corporation over an organization funded with tax dollars, the EPA is every bit as corrupt as ExxonMobil and I trust them less than Poland Springs.

20. mmmsoap says:

It’s entirely unsurprising that bottled water is no less polluted than tap water, considering that the vast majority of bottled water is bottled from municipal (read: tap) water sources.

Combined with the fact that the bottles themselves end up in landfills, and the plastic and transportation involved are an excessive use of petroleum in various forms, bottled water is all around a VERY bad deal for both the consumer and the environment. The advantage of bottled water is the convenience of carrying it with you, but a Nalgene bottle fixes that problem quickly.

The US has some of the most stringent public water supply quality standards, and it’s a shame we don’t take advantage of them more often. Many many other countries (even developed ones) don’t have the same level of free, publicly accessible potable water that the US does.

21. vastrightwing says:

Be careful that the pharm industry doesn’t try to sue to recover lost revenue from all their chemicals in the water without paying for it. And if you think the FDA/EPA is going to protect you, just ask yourself what happened to the economy, New Orleans and others. The government is great at collecting taxes and transferring wealth. But outside of that, I’m not a believer.

22. AMetamorphosis says:

People dumb enough to pay for bottled water have $hit for brains … why not drink some of it ?

23. Brazell says:

Bottled water is such a scam and so many people willingly buy it, even people who aren’t crazy about impurities and so on. Probably once every six months, I buy like a six pack of bottled water, drink those over a few days, and then just fill up the bottles with tap. The bottles are convenient to bring to work/gym/etc. I fill them from the tap and put them in the fridge. Now, I’m no water conoseiur so maybe I’m missing something, but I can confidently say that I cannot tell any difference between tap water that’s been in the fridge and bottled water.

We’ve got the cleanest, best tasting water in human history, and for daily consumption, it’s pretty much free (that is to say, if you drink 8 glasses of water a day, it’ll cost you like less than $0.02), but people willingly pay $5 for a 12 pack of plastic bottles every time they turn around.

24. MyPetFly says:

“Coliform bacteria, caffeine, the pain reliever acetaminophen, fertilizer, solvents, plastic-making chemicals and the radioactive element strontium.”

Sounds like the makings of a great weekend to me…

25. GuinevereRucker says:

We drink bottled water.

We fill the same 8 bottles with tap water and put them in the fridge. Then we have cold, fresh bottled water anytime we want.

26. Ben_Q2 says:

From my office I could see them filling the Arrowhead water into the trucks. I found out from one of the drivers that there is only 10% Arrowhead water in any of the water at any given time.

27. Adisharr says:

It tastes better than my tap water, I don’t want to bother with filters and I like the convenience of the package.

28. incognit000 says:

I drink tap water right out of the tap.

I don’t get what the obsession with “purer” water is, but if you want “pure” water, purchase your own filtration systems. They might be a good idea if you live in an older building where the pipes are lousy, and they will always cost less and be more effective than bottled water. Which is inevitably bottled tapwater with a nice label.

29. DashTheHand says:

The way people are crying about Bottled water makes me wonder how many of them just go full on and recycle their pee through a Mr. Coffee like Kevin Costner in Waterworld.

(TY, Dana Carvey)

30. corinthos says:

I live in BFE and my tap water smells like eggs. All my neighbors water smells nasty too.
    I have a water cooler that I refill and use its water for drinking, cooking, and making tea.

31. DarkKnightShyamalan says:

Bottled water is quickly becoming passe here in L.A., where chic restaurants now serve filtered water in reusable glass bottles rather than trying to upsell you on a quart of Vittel.

32. Starfury says:

I can’t stand bottled water. Our tap water tastes fine and we have a filter on the fridge if I want it cold.

33. dry-roasted-peanuts says:

So, just sell it as “all natural”.

34. Mikestan says:

It all makes sense now.

I always used to say that Aquafina tasted like pool water. I knew I wasn’t crazy.

35. Sugarless says:

This isn’t “dirty” water. It’s enhanced with caffeine and pain reliever. Now you don’t need to buy Starbucks or suffer in pain. This water provides it all in one!

36. Valhawk says:

Strontium, really? That seems like a class action waiting to happen.

37. jpdanzig says:

I have been using an Aquasana countertop water filter for all my cooking and drinking needs, and I rely on it to filter minerals out of water for the humidifier (keeps the wicks fresher longer)and a tabletop water fountain.

The filters last about six months, and a replacement set (of two) costs $50.

So for about $100/year, you can have tasty fresh water on tap when you need it, and no nasty plastic bottles to lug around or throw out.

38. maztec says:

Meh. Wish we could get real mineral water in the states. The mineral water here pales in comparison to that in Europe.

39. Invective says:

I love the comments. Over and over again people *expect* to get hosed and so they do. People have to raise their expectations, or nothing ever will get done. It’s as simple as that. You sure can tell the lazy people, just by the level of energy that goes into the comments. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother, then I realize a lot of comments are just to hear themselves talk.
    If you watched C-Span and the hearings on the FDA and water standards, you would realize how clearly idiotic the process isn’t. In the real world, one would expect that the government would test water for everything that is not water. That is to say, that they would test water and anything that is not water, you would call pollution and use that as a scale for purity. It’s a simple truth.
    Their excuse is that they have a database of certain products within water that they “have data on”. Things they do not have data on, are *not* monitored. So how many things don’t they have data on you ask… It’s tens of thousands, maybe more.
    Why don’t they use the water purity test is simple, it’s because it muddies the legal waters. Instead of just insulating the FDA from lawsuit by drug and other manufacturing companies, they choose to go the long way around. On C-Span you can see how clearly underfunded the FDA is. It’s not that the agency is just run on the cheap, you would hear expert after expert testify how proper monitoring of all the things the FDA is supposed to monitor is literally impossible. You would see those on the Right praise the current FDA leadership for their patriotism and their steadfast dedication in a system passed down from prior administrations and it’s their fault… Then occasionally in these hearings you would hear someone who is either Independent, or on the Left ask why didn’t the leadership ask for more funding. Or why not schedule a proper revamping of the agency based on independent recommendations from watchdog agencies over the years. This is all a kind of a ‘built in safety net’ for each State’s industries that might affect how the water is polluted. The companies lobby for dirty water, literally. Congress politicians insure that lingo is installed in the testing procedures that are loopholes within the process. Last year, one Idaho company actually lobbied for a bill permitting levels of pollution they know to be toxic and then the bill was introduced at the state level. It wasn’t until it received world wide media attention, that the author of the bill retracted it. If politicians do the job those industries are happy with, they get their PAC monies and stay in office. If they don’t, then no PAC monies and someone else gets elected. So in effect, it’s not only our water that is corrupted with pollutants, but it’s also our governmental system as well. Vote for changing the system and a change in the guard and we really might have a chance. Lemmings tend not to do that though, they tend not to vote at all. It may already be too late for our country and the world. Everyone’s got an agenda, but wouldn’t it be great if everyone pulled together to change the way we look at corruption and expected to put a stop to it…

40. courtneywoah says:

This is old news…

41. courtneywoah says:

42. trujunglist says:

Fine, drinking bottled water is bad. Bad for your costs, bad for the environment, and potentially bad for your health (though probably no more so than tap water).
    However, tap water tastes like dirt in most cities. Literally. It tastes like dirt. When I drink water, I don’t want dirt, I don’t want dirt-water, I just want water. I grew up on tap water like everyone else, but even the tap water where I’m from doesn’t taste as good as it used to due to CAP. If cities can’t provide water that doesn’t taste (literally) like dirt, then I will keep buying bottled water that doesn’t taste like dirt. I am fairly reluctant to buy a faucet filter because they cost a lot of money and may or may not eliminate the dirt taste that I cannot stand.
    If any of you have recommendations for a good filter that takes away the dirt taste, then let me know, otherwise continue to talk about why you hate bottled water because you can taste it (compared to the taste of dirt? what the hell are you guys smoking?) It looks like Pur is the winner so far and that Brita sucks. Any others?

43. komodork says:

Well, I find that the major brands – ie coca cola and pepsi’s water should and is probably the cleanest out of all the other brands. the water is reverse osmosis which basically makes the water clean. what you taste is basically what the company added into their water after being cleaned.

44. Shadowfire says:

Fuji water is the worst. UVM did a study on a bunch of different waters, and found Fuji had an incredibly ridiculous amount of microorganisms living in the bottle. :|

45. u1itn0w2day says:

There have been so many reports over the years about bottled water.There are idiots out who still do not get it’s not necessarily from a spring or purified.It’s TAP water with some filtering-if your lucky.

The medication and chlorine in municipal TAP water is older news.And if that didn’t grap your attention this year there has been a push to scold you naughty bottled water drinkers for stuffing landfills.

46. u1itn0w2day says:

Forgot to add those who don’t realize that bottled water may be better for you THAN soda or beer but not ‘great’ for you like a pill or orange juice.

Some think you will not get the benefit of drinking water unless it’s bottled.Part of that is marketing but the other is education to the importance of drinking WATER.

47. ncc74656m says:

Tap water is regulated by the EPA, and held to very stringent standards. At the least, assuming nothing is wrong with municipal or your pipes, you’re probably going to be quite safe drinking tap water, even if it can have a bad taste in some places.

Bottled water is regulated by the FDA, and while still unlikely to kill you (immediately), it’s less stringent.

Basically, tap water is healthier, and if you filter it, doubly so. In fact, I find that with the exception of Poland Spring and Fiji, my local water (NYC and Yonkers) tastes better than all bottled waters. Even so, I don’t drink them if I’m buying, because there’s no point in wasting the money, unless I’m in an area where there are health risks (developing countries).

48. opal says:

Am I the only one that reads “exceeds the health standards” as “does better than the standard” instead of “falls completely short”? I figured out it was “nasty substances exceeds the limit” but when I first saw “two brands exceed”, I thought, great, it’ll say which brands I should stick to. :(

49. junip says:

I have a brita filter on my kitchen tap. I still don’t understand why my mother keeps buying cases of bottled water, especially when she claims to be environmentally conscious. All those plastic bottles wasted when you could be filtering at the tap for much less money.

50. FijianTribe says:

Drink our bottle water, it will cure your head-ache. Made from natural springs flowing behind our parking lot.

51. thrid001 says:

A little advice to help you with water, NSF International certifies water filtration for most municipal water plants, they also certify Brita type filters and bottled water. BUT it is NOT required to be certified, go the http://www.nsf.org and see if yoru water is certified to meet an ANSI standard

52. Alexander Thomas says:

CRAZY. I hate bottled anyways.