Lehman Brothers CEO Got Punched In The Face

Dick “It Wasn’t My Fault” Fuld, the CEO of bankrupt investment bank Lehman Brothers, (seen here being heckled after testifying on Capitol Hill) was apparently punched in the face while working out in Lehman gym on the Sunday following the bankruptcy, according to CNBC’s Vicki Ward.

Fuld testified before the House Oversight Committee yesterday, blaming everyone but himself for Lehman’s collapse, an attitude that prompted Ward to confirm reports that he’d been punched in the face and to side with the attacker:

“From two very senior sources – one incredibly senior source – that he went to the gym after … Lehman was announced as going under. He was on a treadmill with a heart monitor on. Someone was in the corner, pumping iron and he walked over and he knocked him out cold. And frankly after having watched this, I’d have done the same too.”

Knock Out: CNBC Confirms Lehman CEO Punched at Gym [Business And Media]
Lehman CEO Fuld Blames Everyone But Not Himself [Gothamist]
(AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

Comments

1. chris_l says:

As rich and powerful as you might be, no amount of money and influence can ever stop you from getting knocked the fuck out.

2. DeadlySinz says:

Ownd.

3. Sometimes there just aren’t words to express what a punch to the face does.

4. BigFoot_Pete says:

The truth is, I am surprised this kind of thing doesn’t happen more often. You get any animal who steals another’s livelihood, resources, or mate and you are going to have a physical confrontation.

I gotta go with the puncher on this, only knowing what I do about this guy.

5. bsalamon says:

punching is wrong, only because a punch is not enough…a punch and a few kicks however…

6. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

That said, the bastard had it coming.

7. katbur2 says:

I’m not much of a puncher but yesterday I opened the statement of my kids college funds. The little ones we squirrel what we can into each month and now I want to PUNCH, each and every one of them maybe a good kick in the ass as well.

8. boot to the head!

9. ~Ian~ says:

Hitting someone may be against the law but it can bring much quicker satisfaction that a lawsuit and is good for releasing stress haha so I’m all for punching out a guy who deserves it.

10. neilb says:

Too bad he drove the company into bankruptcy. Who can he file a workplace injury lawsuit against?

Fuld, we all feel bad for you being in this tragic predicament. I sure hope all of your homes are paid for so, at very least, you will have somewhere to sleep at night.

11. jantonbusch says:

At first I was all, “Oh yeah, he got what was coming to him.”

And then I remembered that what’s coming to him is still hundreds of millions of dollars in kickbacks.

12. In colonial times he would have been tarred, feathered, marched through town, and thrown into the river.

I guess know he’ll just have to take his helicopter to his 14 million dollar beach front home and hide in shame.

13. highmodulus says:

Maybe he was just about to eat? Starts humming that stupid SNL tune (see HULU.com if you haven’t seen it bit yet- its hilarious).

14. exkon says:

He needs a few more punches to face considering he probably has some sort of huge executive “care” package waiting for him.

15. equazcion says:

I don’t know enough about the Lehman collapse to say whether or not he was to blame. But even if he was, I’m not a huge fan of punching people just because they were bad at their jobs. After all, I’m sure he didn’t intentionally run the company into the ground.

Plus I have to admit I felt kinda bad for him the way they were running down the list of his extravagant possessions, as if he should feel bad for spending his paycheck. The fact is, CEOs make lots of money, and sometimes businesses go under, and if you’re the CEO of one of those, you’ll be made out to be the bad guy ’cause while others are now in financial trouble, you’re still rich.

I save my punches for the granny-scammers, muggers and child abusers. Sorry.

• Coyote says:

@equazcion:
      What you fail to realize that the reason CEO’s are rich is they are paid to protect the investments of their employees/investors. When a CEO like this has millions of dollars to spend on an extravagant lifestyle and yet let their own business run into the ground is all the more reason to punch him. If this were China he would have been drug out into the street and shot.
      (Not condoning communism or gestapo tactics but it would be a huge deterrent to all the corporate corruption this country faces)

• PDQ2 says:

@Coyote:

Apparently being drug out into the street and shot didn’t do much to deter the heads of the companies that sold all that melamine to the pet food, milk and infant formula companies in China

• chargernj says:

@equazcion: “I save my punches for the granny-scammers, muggers and child abusers. Sorry.”

What about granny’s retirement account? What about the kids college fund?

• equazcion says:

@chargernj: There’s a difference between intentionally hurting/stealing money from someone and making mistakes/being incompetent. The latter may still be bad but not worthy of violent reprisal, in my opinion.

@coyote: I don’t fail to realize it. But again, you’re wishing bodily harm on someone simply for making mistakes or being incompetent. I simply can’t equate that kind of punishment with the “crime” involved. I don’t punch people for failing.

• katylostherart says:

@equazcion: but the thing is a lot of these guys KNEW they were taking huge risks with other people’s money. this isn’t just a matter of incompetence, this is a level of disregard for other people’s assets because they basically said “not my problem” and tanked their corporations.

• chargernj says:

@equazcion: Well leave it up to the judge to decide. Did the guy who did the punching get charged/arrested? If not then it mush have been Fuld’s decision not to press charges. Maybe Fuld remembered the Guy law, and decided he should just take his lumps.

A long long time ago… I once punched my ex-wife’s nephew in the face a few times because he was being abusive towards his grandmother. He was 16, and we’ll just say I was a grown man. He was also real bad kid at the time. He had been behaving that way for a long time and I just got tired of it. So finally I kicked his ass.

See no one was trying to defend the poor woman. The kid was just allowed to run wild. He never did anything that was likely to get himself locked up, being a minor. But he was a terror to his family, especially his grandmother.

The judge and prosecutor agree to let me plead guilty to “making a public nuissance”. I paid $500 with no criminal record. Still think it was money well spent.

He stopped being such an asshole while in the house after that. Years later after he had gotten his life straightened out, he told me he deserved it.

• @equazcion:
      If you really think that, i invite you to watch this Documentary made by the guy who produced “Trading Places” as well as other well-known films.

It shows how bankers and other ‘elite’ have been fleecing our country into slavery – AGAINST what our Constitution is suppose to stand for.

They DON’T care…but it still isn’t too late to do something about it.

Watch this (it’s posted on YouTube, but cut up into 11 parts – takes a couple of hours to go through.
      Stuff they didn’t tell us about when we were in school – only what they WANTED us to learn.

16. lodleader says:

Dont worry, it will all be taken care of as long as he goes to a federal pound me in the ass penitentiary

17. stopshopping says:

I wrote to Pelosi asking to NOT stop the corporate payouts. Public shame is the greatest weapon, so publish EVERY payout on the front page of the major papers, and see if the CEOs decide to hide out, or change their ways and give back some money to charities. Either way, they are done.

• amuro98 says:

@imdgonz:

Yeah, because with a hundred million, it’s not as though he could just go buy a tropical island somewhere and an entourage of loyal servants for $5/day, each…

These idiots’ lives should be forfeit. Their organs removed and donated in the hope that these ignoble human beings might do some actual good even if it’s posthumously. As for their carcasses, they should be strung up in front of Wall St. as a warning for generations to come that some things come with too high of a price. That’s what we need around here – more heads on pikes.

• jodark says:

@amuro98: YES.

This comment board is a hilarious mix of very serious people, and those of us that are infuriated by what these cocksuckers have done and chose to express it to a place they think they will find kindred spirits. Needless to say this is becoming a train-wreck between one train who like manufacturing outrage over fantastical comments and another train who love to indulge in the idea that stringing these guys by the neck will provide more therapy than $700billion ever could.

I think the heads on pikes should be used instead of golf flags to remind other obscenely wealthy the consequences of fucking people over.

• verdantpine says:

@amuro98: Man, the whole heads on pikes thing makes me want to crack open my fifth season DVD collection of Babylon 5.

At least in fiction I can be sure the bad guys are going to get it, or at least exit our galaxy.

18. snoop-blog says:

Hell yeah too bad we can’t get a video of this on youtube.

19. harumph says:

That picture is brilliant.

20. Trai_Dep says:

Gosh, the expression on Fuld’s face is positively Beelzebubian. I wonder if he had the same expression when he approved the CDFs that tanked the global economy so he and his ilk could collect those phat bonuses?
    (Call me a traditionalist, but what ever happened to good ol’ fashioned Tar & Feathering? I smell… COMEBACK!)
    ((And do I wish Tar & Feathering was a voting option? You betcha!))
    [research.history.org]

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

@Trai_Dep: Nah, they’d never have enough feathers, and if htey did, they’d be the cheap artificial variety from china.

• agentdanascully says:

When I first saw this picture, I thought to myself, “Wow, that guy looks just like the devil, I bet horns are going to pop out of his forehead at any moment”…and then I read your ‘Beelzububian’ comment –I wasn’t expecting to endure hot coffee shooting out my nose this morning from laughter, but it was way worth it.

Countrywide Financial CEO, Mario Mozilo, also looks extremely diabolical. Actually, more like an orc from Lord of The Rings. @Trai_Dep:

21. erikislame says:

Ill give him a donkey PUNCH.

They’re proper hardcore.

22. snoop-blog says:

Doesn’t this guy know how to “roll with the punches”.

23. tastybytes says:

the CEOs are to blame when a company goes under. no CEO can say they did not know what was going on. they have the power to find out or get people who will tell them the truth. CEOs salaries/kickbacks/patachutes/etc NEED to be tied to LOSS as well as profit. i dont mind paying you 100 million when i am raking in 100 billion, but damned if i am paying you anything when im negative 700 billion, in fact, i want what i already paid you back.

24. Trai_Dep says:

Any journalist types want to guess what “and one incredibly senior source” means? Does Fuld work out with his mom? Really?!

25. tedyc03 says:

I’m sorry, but I just can’t see how this is bad. I think it’s the best news I’ve heard all week.

26. he’s starting to regret that beef and bean gordita

27. SexCpotatoes says:

Personally, I would have blinded the bastard.

28. I’m much rather eat a knuckle sandwich than have one of those Code Pink harpies bleating in my face. What the hell are they doing there?

29. GreatWhiteNorth says:

In a way I agree with both parties here… those who say he deserved it and those that say violence is not the solution and the punch was not appropriate…

He certainly deserves something… maybe it is time for an accountability law… one that looks at what a fella like this has been paid over the years, what he has accomplished and if he should be rewarded (golden handshake) or financially punished (read as let’s go take back all he got from this deal and look for the folks who his actions were designed to benefit and take theirs too!)

As for the physical abuse… he shouldn’t have to put up with that from anyone other than his cell mates.

30. Punch’d!

31. Toof_75_75 says:

It’s a Shame “CODE PINK” had to be in this picture and make me much less mad at him since he had to deal with those idiots bothering him…

32. giggitygoo says:

@undefined:

Woah – that kind of thinking is way too rational for this forum. Join in the mob mentality already, jeez.

• DrGirlfriend says:

@giggitygoo: It’s not exactly rational, though, it’s bordering on apologetic of someone who was not merely bad at their job – he was greedy and irresponsible. All those possessions? A result of playing fast and loose with the business he was charged with running properly.

• equazcion says:

@DrGirlfriend: Is it more rational to condone people using violence as long as they were acting on opinions similar to your own?

As I said I don’t know enough about the situation to say whether or not hes to blame; and I furthermore doubt you do either. I think it’s a little irresponsible to say across-the-board that whenever any company fails it was the CEO’s fault. The fact that people blame him MORE because of all his possessions tells me they’re more angry at him for being rich than anything else. You say those possessions are “a result of playing fast and loose with the business”, but no, they were the result of being a CEO and having the paycheck that comes with that job.

• jodark says:

@equazcion:
          “Is it more rational to condone people using violence as long as they were acting on opinions similar to your own?”

I think the Continental Army of 1776 might be able to answer your question.

• equazcion says:

@jodark: Fair enough, I may have oversimplified. “Is it more rational to condone people playing judge jury and executioner, as long as they were acting on opinions similar to your own?”

• equazcion says:

@equazcion: In other words, one guy punching another guy in the face cause he thinks he deserves it can hardly be equated with an organized rebellion.

• jodark says:

@equazcion: Have you ever heard of “Guy law?” Basically if a dude does something douchey enough, such as flying a bank into the sun or sleeping with your wife, he deserves some form of physical retribution, delivered by the wronged.

Also, theres the Batman guide to retribution. Batman would have hung this guy from a building and dropped him repeatedly catching him each time before he hit, just to drive the point home. So when it comes to vigilante justice, let the Batman be your guide.

• katylostherart says:

@equazcion: it’s rational to condone people whom you agree with. that’s just how it goes. if you see something as reasonable, you will see people who do that same thing as reasonable. it’s actually pretty rational.

• katylostherart says:

@equazcion: they’re angry at him for making a personal profit while squandering their money. on the lowest example, if you gave your money to a bank to keep in savings just to find out they gambled with it and seriously lost to the point where you could be wiped out (and some people are) you have a right to be angry. people trusted them with their money and they gambled at high risk to someone else’s livelihood. sure, loads of people knew the risks, but a lot of people didn’t and trusted that professionals who were paid to watch out for their customers interest weren’t going to bankrupt them.

and the point of the ceo is to run the company. they are the top dog, the final decision maker. they have the power in a company (along with a board sometimes) to make changes that will sink or save the business. those possessions that came from the millions he got when he LOST his customers money were as a result of playing fast and loose.

• ghstomahawks says:

@katylostherart: I’d be pretty surprised to hear about savings accounts set up at Lehman Brothers, the investment bank. I also think that when it was pointed out that Lehman Brothers employees owned 30% of it’s stock (much of it as RSUs that they weren’t able to sell off before they were essentially worthless) a good argument was made for the employees really not thinking they were going to bankrupt shareholders.

As for the CEOs responsibility and compensation … yeah, it sucks that he’s well to do and the company went down. It does, I hear ya. However, he took it’s stock price from around $5 in 1995 to over $80 in early 2007. It might be popular to throw him under the bus now, but saying he was paid for losing investors money is rather far fetched. His compensation came over the course of 15 years, and however poorly the company fared under his leadership over the past 21 months, most of his compensation was for the first 13 years and not the last 2.

Believer me, I’m furious too … I’m just trying to avoid forming an imaginary lynch mob in my head when there are so many other people who share so much of the blame.

• verdantpine says:

@equazcion: That’s a bit backwards. The justification oft-argued is that performance = pay. In this reasoning, a CEO’s leadership drives the company and gives it much of its value, and thus they “deserve” the big paychecks. It’s the same idea that made people like Jack Welch into supposed superstars.

If you believe that the CEO is that vital to a company’s success, then consider: logically, he or she can’t take credit for success then back away from responsibility when business goes sour.

Less than three years ago, he was credited for turning around the company and changing its direction. That alone implies that whatever happened to hurt Lehman Brothers has an awful lot to do with the CEO.

[money.cnn.com]

But then I’m old school, and believe that the captain needs to go down with his ship. That doesn’t mean the captain has to die, but it means foregoing parachutes and sweet deals. Instead, in Fuld’s testimony he continued in the grand tradition of Ken Lay to disavow responsibility, blaming market events that occurred in the last six months.

33. Geblah187 says:

I think we need to reinstate good ‘ol fashioned punching in the face for all sorts of seedy business practices.

I’m Geblah187 and I approve this message.

34. Kevin says:

Dick Fuld me once, shame on me. Duck Fuld me twice, SMACK!

35. Adisharr says:

Punching is wrong – it’s not painful enough and he’ll still be living afterward.

36. ganjablue says:

As Smokey would say, “You just got knocked the FUCK OUT!”

37. spdcyclist says:

Is it to late to bring back public stoning?

38. jodark says:

Sounds like an opponent that Kimbo Slice can actually last more than 14 seconds against.

39. DirtyBits says:

Sometimes you gotta punch people in the face. Sometimes that is not at all appropriate and a junk punch should be used. However even a junk punch is sometimes inappropriate (Hard to imagine a situation) so you must rely on the donkey punch.

40. Dillenger69 says:

Good.
    I think more of these people need to be cold cocked and forced to live in homeless camps until all their assets go to pay back the people they’ve ripped off over the years.

41. giggitygoo says:

I know everyone’s looking for someone to blame in this mess, but I’m just not so sure that the problem is evil, nazi vampire CEOs. Despite what our politicians tell us about how each one was the only one who saw all of this coming and valiantly tried to stop it, the reality is no one knew this was going to happen. Sure some might have seen some small part of it, (like giving loans to people who shouldn’t get them) but no one put together the string of events that made this happen before it happened – no one. The CEOs that bought all these mortgage backed securities probably did not look any further than their AAA rating from Moody’s; and while you could call that incompetent, the truth is CEOs (or any human) simply can’t investigate each and every part of their business down to the lowest level – there aren’t enough hours in a day. And before the current crisis, why would they? AAA rated bonds were considered almost risk free before this mess proved otherwise. I’m sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think Ockham’s razor applies here. What’s more likely – the entire leadership of major financial institutions like Bear Stearns, Lehman, AIG, etc. are incompetent, evil, greedy caricatures? Or that this mess was created from a complicated combination of events from bad lending practices to bad risk management practices to bad government oversight and bad accounting standards that was not noticed by anyone simply because there were so many factors involved? I tend to believe the latter, but of course that means lots of people share smaller amounts of responsibility rather than a few villains that we can shower with scorn.

• @giggitygoo: A sober, perfectly reasoned argument that could inject some sanity in the current mad rush to vilify and destroy the CEO boogeyman. You should know that there’s no place for that sort of thing here in the Consumerist comment world.

• ludwigk says:

@giggitygoo: The problem with your argument is that these banks were so heavily into these mortgage backed securities that if they didn’t succeed, their business was tanked.

The part of this debacle that really upsets me is Moody’s AAA grading of mortgage related ISVs. Their whole job is to evaluate securities’ risk, and they dropped the ball HARD. Part of the Moody’s grading problem arose from the fact that individual mortgages could be split up and recombined into thousands of separate ISVs, and that distribution factor was supposed to mitigate risk. Kind of like how in the 50′s people believed that the ‘Solution to Pollution is Dilution”, when in fact, it means everyone ends up just “a little” poisoned by toxic waste. They also didn’t re-grade the ISVs even though lending practices were changing radically on a weekly basis.

I think the biggest crooks were the loan officers (originators?) who cooked up these terrible loans, and foisted them on unsuspecting people with teaser rates and balloon clauses that they knew people would not be able to afford. They deceived people (who were not in themselves entirely blameless), then sold the loans upstream to banks, pocketing money with each transaction. I’m most angry at them because they got away with it, clean and clear.

• mac-phisto says:

@giggitygoo: here’s my problem with your argument – they can’t have it both ways. either executives are chiefly responsible for the well-being of their company (& therefore deserve their ungodly pay) or they are not.

& then we have cases like this – even as lehman was tanking & 4 days before their collapse, directors were dishing out millions of dollars in bonuses to executives. that’s simply unconscionable. whether or not a culture of incompetence existed at lehman, it is the executive team’s job to know what is going on at all levels of their company.

what i don’t see is how your interpretation of occam’s razor explains anything in this case. i think a more realistic interpretation, using the razor would be: these companies were all profitable. the people in charge of these companies sucked billions of dollars in equity out of them over the past decade & when values were at record highs. therefore, when the market readjusted, it was the absence of this equity (& consequently the people who were charged with the stewardship of the company) that caused their demise.

• u1itn0w2day says:

@giggitygoo: You can’t investigate down to the lowest level but BILLIONS of dollars in these things I’m investigating.

All this crap being thrown out by the media and these deer in the headlight executive like it’s too complicated to follow or understand in bullshit.It is an excuse,a twisted and contorted justification but they can be understood or follow if you do some research.WTF,the whole country has gotten an education on these things over the last month.Hey if the IRS can drag my ass in for an audit demanding reciepts,explanations and justifications for everything so can these companies and executives.

For too many life will never be the same including no sweating their bills to food stamps,foreclosure and repos and I’m not talking about the upper level executives.

For the record I was conflicted about the punch or no punch but I went with punch-If I was Fuld I’d rather get punched than sued-again and again.

42. Toof_75_75 says:

Isn’t being named “Dick Fuld (Fold)” punishment enough? LOL

43. It should have been placed much further south. Him telling the investors everything is ok and Barney Frank for saying Fannie is A OK should both by mobbed.

44. moore850 says:

Punching is a bit direct, I would’ve just unplugged the treadmill.

45. BigBoat says:

I’m shocked by the poll results. Do you people really want to live in a world where random people decide who should get punched in the face, then do so? Just because you agree with the target this time doesn’t mean you will every time (especially when the target is you). If this fellow did something illegal he should go to jail. If he did something legal but immoral, talk to your congressman to make that immorality illegal, so it won’t happen again.

• floraposte says:

@BigBoat: Okay, while I agree with you, I can’t help finding it funny that you’ve phrased your question in the form of a poll. “Do you people really want to live in a world where events are determined by polls? Yes 55% No 42% Undecided 3%.”

46. lightaugust says:

OK, lets not be silly- punching is wrong, and just gets you sued and doesn’t do nearly the job. I will gladly take a shot to the face, a humiliating walk down the courthouse steps and even a shaming by a few senators for 480 million tall ones. No problem.

And this guy’s not even really on the hook for running the company into the ground. I mean, look around, bankrupting a bank is the new Crocs, for crying out loud… Fuld was on the hook for a. knowingly lying to his investors about it and b. telling his executive buddies that they didn’t have to worry about their bonuses (boni?) while asking the gov’t to bail LB out practically on the same day… this one’s not about ceo this or that, this guy was the most arrogant in the bunch from the word go, and everyone in the financial sector knew it.

47. downwithmonstercable says:

A CEO that raked in half a billion dollars while he bankrupted his company got knocked out from an out-of-nowhere punch in the face?

If that isn’t pure, awesome justice, I don’t know what is.

48. The same people who say don’t bail out Joe Consumer from his mortgage are the same people who say punch a CEO in the face.

These are the same people who vote for “values” during election time.

You are seriously screwed up, people.

• jodark says:

@twophrasebark: Um Joe Consumer hasn’t been bailed out. And doesn’t deserve to be. Let Joe suffer the consequences by paying rent or moving to a smaller house. And lets punch every CEO who ruined the credit market, then took our tax dollars in the face.

Yes, we vote for “values,” because we stand for fairness and being evenhanded. CEO’s should get nothing and be publically tarred and feather then thrown in the stocks. Delinquint borrowers should lose what they borrowed for. Imagine that, people with “values” want this thing called “justice.” Because people with “values” play by the rules.

All I can say, is that I hope whoever punched this swindler put their hips into that punch and followed through.

• ViperBorg says:

@jodark: Amen, brother.

• @Jodark:

Your values are judgment, punishment, anger, hate, vengeance…

I thought those were the values of our enemies.

I thought America was about compassion, community, tolerance, freedom…

Weird.

• jodark says:

@twophrasebark: Yeah. You’re right. These CEO’s are the real victims in this whole finacial, economic mess. We should feel compassion for them while they get millions more of our dollars while they squander them again. I should tolerate what they are doing. I shouldn’t demand justice or having them take responsibiilty for their actions.

Sorry, when I get ripped off on such a catastrophic scale I get a little mad. Fuck them and anyone who defends them.

TRUTH and JUSTICE are the American way. These men represent neither. These men represent greed, corruption and the betrayal of the American people. Sometimes pussies need to step aside to let dick’s fuck assholes.

49. pschroeter says:

You forgot “Punching is wrong, but I take secret pleasure from it.”

50. Fujikopez says:

I’m the parent of a toddler, and we always say, “Hands are not for hitting!” I don’t think violence is right in any situation.

(But I still laughed. The shame.)

• @Fujikopez:

We teach our children, first time some one hurts you, tell them to stop, second time, tell an adult, but the third time someone hurts you, hit them back.

When all other options fail, defend yourself.

51. Angryrider says:

I voted punching is wrong. Because I wish something fell on him.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@Angryrider: OK, someone needs to explain that to me. Not because he drops a construction vehicle on someone but because then he feels it’s necessary to punch it.

52. Weeeeeeeeeeeee! So much awesome!

53. And to think that just a few years ago the nation was entertaining entrusting Social Security with these bozos. But then the Social Security Trust fund isn’t any more solvent than the investment banks.

54. frodo_35 says:

Does anybody doubt that at least a few underhanded and unethical deals have been done by this corprate scumbag? Also as this happened at the lehman gym don’t you think the guy who punched him had an inside track to his BS.
    I trust his insider judgment and say kick him while hes down. Also I very much agree with the as long as he goes to a federal pound me in the ass penitentiary sentiment. I will provide the sandpaper!!!!

55. donovanr says:

Stuff his head into the rectum of the CEO of Countrywide.

“Rectum? Damn near killed him!”

56. compuguy1088 says:

Ain’t that a kick in the head? :D

57. P_Smith says:

The level of violence by a perpetrator has always been directly in line with the individual’s politics or position. For example, the Kennedy brothers were assassinated for being rational, while nobody ever took a shot at George Bush. The extreme rightwing have always been willing to perpetrate extreme violence or wars, while the rational don’t resort to such tactics.

Dickless Fuld received only a punch in the face compared to what could have happened. Meanwhile, yesterday a man was called a “n*****” and shot three times just for wearing a Barack Obama shirt in a store. Thankfully, he survived.

And the shooting was in England, by the way, not the US.

• jodark says:

@P_Smith: He was shot with a BB gun. He barely got welts. Though, its a shame that Englishman aren’t allowed to defend themselves against the scum in their country, otherwise the assailent may have gotten what he deserved. Oh, and left wing USSR was pretty peaceful from what I remember, and so are those eco-terrorists who are willing to burn peoples’ houses. And those riots a few years ago in LA, all those black people were republicans, right? And Harry S. Truman became a conservative when he dropped 2 nuclear weapons on the Japanese? And wasn’t it JFK who started and perpetuated the Cold War with Russia?

Don’t make generalizations about which side is more violent, because both are.

58. Robobagins says:

Punching is wrong, especially with our legal system. It would be far better if he was sued for being liable for the collapse(Kinda like OJ innocent on murder, liable on wrongful death).

59. zibby says:

Oh for crying out loud. This didn’t happen. Sombody is having a bit of fun. If there’s ever any proof – or even a named source – to back this up, I’ll eat my shoe with a side of dog squeeze.

60. garbagehead says:

The “Punch incident”, as it will undoubtedly go down in history as, was staged. Dick Fuld hired the puncher the in order to draw what little amount of public sympathy he could.
    If Mr. Fuld was going to get punched he was going to do it on his terms.

61. AgentTuttle says:

We know that punching people in the face is wrong, but when people operate the strings of evil behind a suit and tie, they can either be affected by fiscal punishment or the most primal instincts and impulses. So if you have no legal power or influence, punch away.

62. azntg says:

Normally, I would not view the guys who punch or violently attack other people in a favorable manner.

However, in the case of the CEOs who are driving companies into the ground and are actually getting a platinum parachute for their part in destroying the company (and a little part of the American economy on the long run), go nuts! No sympathy for them at all.

63. schwarzsturm says:

Quoth Oderus Urungus:

“Hit him again! Hit him again! Hit the motherfrakker again!”

64. BagelTycoon says:

The doormen at Fuld’s Park Avenue co-op are gonna have to add “anti-punching bag duty” to their list of tasks for the disgraced resident.

Speed bags in the elevator!

65. ColoradoShark says:

It reminds me of my objection to the death penalty. It lets the bastards off too easy.

He should have gotten kicked in the nuts so he could roll around in pain. Knocking him out was letting him off easy.

66. mythago says:

Who among us would NOT take a punch in the face in exchange for hundreds of millions of dollars?

That said, as an officer of the Court I of course must decry the use of violence instead of legal proceedings.

67. warf0x0r says:

So, something like this

[video.google.com]

68. jimnor says:

to all those who say “violence does not solve anything” you are simply not any good at it. you have poor technique and are not properly trained. you should stay out of the way of those of us who are.

69. bonedog73 says:

Ahhh this makes me feel just a tiny bit better.

70. forgottenpassword says:

If the worst he gets out of this whole mess is getting punched & knocked out cold…. then he should consider himself lucky!

The amount of money CEOs make is obscene.

71. SkyeBlue says:

maybe itÅ› just me and maybe I just do not quite understand how these things work, but how can one man receive that obscene amount of money, and this is NOT counting what any of the other top executives of the company made so far this year, THEN say our company has no money? And get away with it? Are we literally having to pay back dollar for dollar what they have stolen, oh sorry, received in pay from the company?

What is it going to finally take to get us to take to the streets? President Bush, and this all was on HIS watch remember, still has some more time left in office to do even more damage. The world economy has not totally crashed yet but I just read online that Iceland is pretty close to it.

72. kaylabear says:

Is this the list to sign up to punch him? Because I’d like to feed Dick Fuld my fist (and my foot)…

73. Caprica Six says:

I woulda punched him in the nuts to make him squirm

74. bohemian says:

All of these involved financial execs should be forced to live in section 8 housing on food stamps until this mess is cleaned up. I am all for forcing execs to put their personal assets at risk against the company they head.

75. fisherstudios says:

A *TIRE*.. in the FACE!

… I can’t even say it.

How did Dick die?

A *TIRE* hit him in the FACE!

76. tejona says:

What I want to know is how to stop all this corruption! I’m so angry I don’t know which way to turn. How do we as citizens weed out all the crooks when it seems everyone has their hand in the cookie jar. I’m tired of baking cookies for these low bred dogs. (Sorry Fido, I didn’t mean to insult you.) Why should we work two jobs, juggle kids and other resposibilities, while they live high off the hog. I say staple his *** to a burning stump and give him a dull knife! GB

77. ninjatoddler says:

Sometimes, it’s good to come down to earth.

78. tejona says:

After reading all these responses, it is pretty clear we are mad as hell and we don’t want to be stolen from like this any more. So what do we do? Write our corrupt congressmen? Good grief, what a mess!

79. Getting knocked cold is getting off light. Congressman Mica said it best at the hearings the other day of Fuld and by extension the rest of CEO-ilk that are defending their massive salaries and bonuses as the global economy collapses: “If you haven’t discovered your role, you’re the villain today.”

[www.abcnews.go.com]

80. mariospants says:

Considering that any possible punishment meted out by the court will be insignificant compared to the damage he’s done – while still being a multimillionaire prick – a big fat punch to his face is well-deserved. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t doubt his PR team’s ability to fabricate the whole deal.

81. Carlos says:

I think you’re gonna see a lot more violence erupting against the wealthy and authority figures in general

82. SergioDingo says:

A punch to the face is for when someone affronts your honor, or insults your woman.

In this case the Dick has stolen money from us. That deserves at least a kick in the balls.

Personally, I’m in favor of cutting his hamstrings. Just like he did to everyone who was hoping to retire from their investments.

83. ShantiOmega says:

The SOB should NEVER be allowed to own ANYTHING again. Let him sleep under a bridge for the rest of his natural days.

If a man needs a license to perform a professional task (like doctor, lawyer, plumber, accountant, truck driver, etc) why don’t we require a license for managers? Then when some asshat like DICK fails to perform his job properly we could refuse to renew his professional license — thereby rendering him as impotent in the business world as we all know he is in the private world.

84. ironchef says:

swift kick in the nuts is my vote.

85. addiktion says:

From what I read (and I don’t know if it’s true) but JP Morgan froze a lot of Lehman Brothers assets thus resulting them going bankrupt. I’m not saying he’s not to blame but if this is the case then JP Morgan needs an ass kicking. After all they did profit from the last great depression.

86. A Dick Punch is the worst kind of punch.

87. Clumber says:

I have a difficult time choosing… I see no reason why the 2 options have to be mutually exclusive… Dude got a tiny fraction of what’s coming; and punching is wrong.

And the suspect definitely could not be guilty… I will swear I was with him that very moment in another state. Couldn’t have been him.

Unrelated… Anyone know where the AIG execs do their gym workouts? No reason. No reason at all…

88. longbeach says:

All of those greedy, incompetent Dick Folds deserve so much more than a punch in the mug. I’m so sick of being an American Lemming led by arrogant pukes who have no idea what it’s like to struggle to make ends meet down here on Main Street.

If I can’t even afford to buy stocks to loose, then why should my heard earned taxes be used to bail out those who have had and lost? To be clear, I am referring to the CEO’s and exec’s, and not the Main Streeters who trusted them with retirement funds, etc.

When are we going to stand up and put America back on the right track?!

89. LeanneMania says:

As CEO of Lehman Brothers this guy HAS to take the responsibility for his actions.The trouble with these greedy bastards is that are only too happy to take the risk (with other peoples money) and greedily reep the rewards,but not prepared to take the responsibility.

90. LuvJones says:

That dude should have busted him to the white meat! I can’t understand how someone who’s company has gone under can STILL receive a bonus or other compensation other than his paycheck(which I’m sure is HUGE). These people shouldn’t receive anything but a pink slip.

91. FrankenPC says:

Violence is uncalled for.

Now, a life term in prison and being sold to the cell block rapist for a pack of cigarettes…I’m 100% for that.

92. Anonymous says:

I have a suggestion that may alleviate anyone else having to beat ‘Dead Dog’ Fuld. Charge him with theft, try him in Federal Court, sentence him to Federal Prison. He might end up dead, but not punched. If I hear one or commentator say a person cannot be charged for poor judgement, I’ll start punching. How was it poor judgement when Mr. Fuld continued to make hundreds of millions while Lehman Bros. collapsed. That’s not poor judgement; that’s THEFT!