Krispy Kreme Unveils New Dipping Sauce: Ice Cream!

Krispy Kreme is hoping a new bait will attract health-conscious consumers to their gluttony palaces: soft-serve ice cream.

The “Kool Kreme” will make its debut complete with a topping bar in new, smaller stores that hide all the donut-making eye candy in the back.

Bob Goldin, a food industry enthusiast, explains the shift is an attempt to “reposition [Krispy Kreme] as more of a treat concept that offers consumers desserts and indulgences.” We don’t know what that means either, but soft-serve ice cream is a terrible idea. If Krispy Kreme really wants to bait America’s cadre of healthy-in-mind-if-not-in-body consumers, they should install juice bars. Waist-minders won’t travel for ice cream, but they might pick up an artery-strangling donut if they think it would nicely complement a healthy shot of wheatgrass juice.

Health Craze Has Hurt Doughnut Chain [WDSU]
Krispy Kreme hopes to heat up sales with ice cream [AP]
(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

Comments

1. SuperiorInky says:

But soft-serve ice cream is so delicious!

A juice bar would actually be a good idea, but I see it this way: If you’re self-conscious about your weight and/or dieting, taking a foot into a Krispy Kreme (or any fast-food place it seems) isn’t gonna help you. Sure, they should have a “healthy-me-up meal/plan” or whatever you want to call it, but even then you’re gonna get people who say that it’s not healthy. In the end, it would help to have something over nothing, but I wouldn’t boo the ice cream idea.

2. madanthony says:

Given how few Krispy Kremes there are left by my in Maryland, the ice creme thing seems irrelevant – there are lots of closer places I could get ice cream.

I think it would probably make sense if they broadened their menu beyond donuts into a wider range of breakfast foods, including some lo-fat stuff, and maybe some higher end coffee drinks, like Dunkin’ Donuts.

3. no.no.notorious says:

omg but how could donuts be so bad for you it’s just yellow cake with some icing…and ice cream is just milk!

• Keter says:

@no.no.notorious: It’s not just yellow cake: the recipe is quite different plus donuts are deep-fat fried. And when is the last time you read the ingredients on ice cream? 99% of it is not what I would call a food, and much of it – particularly the soft serve type – doesn’t contain any milk at all. The only ice cream left that is iced cream is Hagen Dasz.

• ludwigk says:

@no.no.notorious: A cake donut has a batter similar to yellow cake, ends up with a much ‘crumbier’, cake-like consistency. They use chemical leavening, and are fried in a batter-like state.

Krispy Kreme makes yeast donuts, whose recipe is actually very similar to a basic white bread. The donuts contain yeast, are risen, then fried. The result has a spongier, airier texture.

So, Krispy Kremes are basically just whitebread, we all know that’s essential for growing children!

4. Tank says:

well, i’d dip MY donut in ice cream

• Mykro says:

heh.. heh heh… heh.. heh.. heh heh heh…
      I think I’ll put some ice cream on my girlfriend’s donut when we hit up the local Krispy Kreme.
      It really sounds delicious.

5. mac-phisto says:

death by sticking my head under the krispy kreme icing waterfall until i explode is definitely on my “top 10 list of ways i’d like to go out of this cruel world”.

it’s not #1 though – that spot is reserved for drowning in a vat of oreo cookie filling.

6. 3drage says:

Wow this is a brilliant idea going into Fall/Winter. Perfect timing!

7. Mykro says:

Sorry for the double comment, but just think about the hot donut melting the ice cream and it soaking in the donut. Why hasn’t anyone thought of this already?
    This is brilliant! I rank this idea up there with Sliced Cheese and Bacon!

8. laserjobs says:

Kind of like this recipe

9. U-235 says:

The difficulty with Krispy Kreme isn’t that their dognuts are unhealthy – dognuts have always been unhealthy and always will. The difficulty is their marketing and image, namely they have zero TV marketing (at least in my area) and their look is stale and old! No one likes stale dognuts. In this humble armchair commenter’s opinion, they should copy everything Dunkin’ Dognuts has done over the past few years to renovate their image and I think they’ll do fine.

• Kia says:

@prr619: …dognuts? Freud would have a field day with you, sweetie.

• Luckie says:

@prr619: While I’d agree with most of your post, the most important thing is that Krispy Kreme doughnuts taste a gazillion times better than Dunkin’s. I don’t even eat any doughnuts except Krispy Kremes. (Which is still once or twice a year, but hey.) Dunkin’s are too big and dry and cake-y. Krispy’s are soft and moist and gooey.

On a pro-Dunkin note, those egg white wrap things they have sure look good.

10. ptkdude says:

MMMMmmmmm…. this only reinforces my upcoming move to an apartment half a block from Krispy Kreme.

11. snoop-blog says:

Is it just me or do krispy Kreme donuts leave a film in your mouth?

12. The Great Aussie Evil says:

Dear Lord, it’s so bad yet sounds so good.

13. mbz32190 says:

What a great idea! Let’s see…
    1. They have had financial problems in the past, pretty much eliminating from any new areas they expanded to.
    2. Nobody has extra money to buy “fancy” ice cream besides a 1.5 quart from the Supermarket
    3. There is already Baskin Robbins, Cold Stone, Bruster’s, etc.. to name a few.
    Great Idea!

14. chilled says:

krispys when the hot now light is on…one of lifes great pleasures!

Fat asses,find some place where they serve low cal fruit and shut up…

15. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

The only way it could get better is if they added bacon! Mmmmmmm……..

(Or you could just go out and get a Luther Burger)

16. Angryrider says:

Hmmm… 15 min away from my house is a Baskin Robbins/Dunkin’ Donuts. KK must be trying to take those customers.

A shame that there aren’t as many KKs. But the cost to open one is $100K.

17. forgottenpassword says:

kinda off topic, but I really cant understand how people raveabout krispy creme donuts. They are so sugarry with that hard shallacking of sugariness that it makes me want to wretch!

Maybe its just me as I cant stand sickly sweet foods.

• Random_Tangent says:

@forgottenpassword: You gotta go when the ‘Hot Fresh Now’ sign is lit up. Nothing hard about those suckers.

It was rough living in Winston-Salem, NC. Freaking Krispy Kreme Kapital Kity right there.

18. classic10 says:

ok, take a note on this recipe:

Let a few Krispy Kreme donuts sit for a day. Then when they are a little bit hard, cut them in half, spread butter all over and toast them. Ummm delicious! ;-)

19. am84 says:

I’m surprised that there are still KK stores open. All of the ones around here closed a few years ago, probably due to the Atkins craze at the time.

20. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i used to work at dunkin donuts and i got to take all the 12 hour old donuts home that i wanted. being right out of high school, my roommate and i lived on that stuff for weeks at a time.
    one of the bakers at my store would make chocolate chip filled croissants which would puff up around the chips in the middle layer and leave a hole. one time she suggested that when i took the stale ones home to try filling them with ice cream.
    so i let some ice cream soften up a little, spooned it in there, refroze the whole concoction – i could easily see some fancy restaurant making someone pay extra for that as a dessert.
    so next time i saved out some of the ‘filled’ donuts before they got filled and filled them up with ice cream at home.
    donut-ice cream-sandwich.
    oh yeah…. i am drooling just thinking about it.

if krispy kreme can come up with a way to put the soft serve ice cream IN the donut….. mmmmmmm. [here’s a tip – think pastry bag nozzle!]

21. Keter says:

Hm. Burger King model. We know our food will kill you, so let’s make it even more deadly and package it as an indulgence.

22. eelmonger says:

This sounds delicious. There is a place by me that serves frozen yogurt on fresh made belgian waffles. And there’s another place that put’s soft on top of oversized cupcakes. Baked goods+frozen dairy treats=yummy.

23. electrolemon says:

As delicious as that sounds, even I’ve got a limit to my gluttony. Pass.

24. S-the-K says:

Krispy Kreme selling ice cream makes about as much sense as Starbucks or Taco Bell selling fruit smoothies. Hahaha, like something stupid like that would ever happen.

Oh, wait… never mind.

25. ShariC says:

The experience of fast food places seems to be that offering healthy food doesn’t work. The salad bars in Wendy’s, for instance, were a big failure. Krispy Kreme is an indulgence and people aren’t going there for a healthy, nutritious breakfast. I think that they’re hoping to lure people in who are in the mood for one treat and decide they’ll add another to their total purchase. I don’t think it’ll work, but I also don’t think healthy food would work either.

Selling healthy food at KK is like selling sports gear in a lingerie shop.

26. richcreamerybutter says:

There is one KK in Tokyo (in the Shinjuku area), and my friend says there is always a line out the door. Sometimes is even extends across the nearby footbridge.

27. alysbrangwin says:

I have such pleasant memories of Krispy Kreme. When I was in elementary school, we got to go on the factor tour nearly every year, and we got a free dozen doughnuts every few months because they were a school sponsor. Then they went national and it wasn’t our little secret anymore, and I mention to people that I went on the factory tour in third grade and they flip out.

That said, I think they should stick to making Homer Simpson doughnuts.

28. mrearly2 says:

If the doughnuts don’t kill em’, we may as well sell an additional addictive poison.

29. Justifan says:

haven’t been there in years. after the gimmick wore off it just became over priced tiny donuts. and well ice cream isn’t going to lure me back.

30. JackAshley says:

Wait a minute! Slow down, let’s not jump the gun and assume that all the made up, hokey claims from the wheatgrass people are true!

31. Meathamper says:

Mmmmm, melted.

32. julieannie says:

I live outside St. Louis and one of the test stores has been here for a few months now. I can’t say I’ve ever seen an increase in traffic at their door. I’d much prefer a Dunkin Donuts personally.

33. AllenK says:

Boy does that sound good! No Krispy Kreme here,but this kinda makes me want to go get some doughnuts from Wally-World right now. I hate Wal-Mart too!

34. daniello says:

Gah!

As delicious as that sounds, there’s a fundamental flaw, at least the way I see it.

Donuts are a take-away food, IMO. Sure, some people come to the donut shops and sit there, but most people are in and out.

Ice cream is an eat-in food, otherwise, it melts. And are people going to bring a box of ice cream in to their coworkers?

Seems flawed. Delicious, but flawed.

35. PlayerX says:

So, they decided to forgo including a pinless grenade instead? I guess ice cream and fried sugar are technically less dangerous, but MAN!