One Day Left To Register For TransUnion Class Action Lawsuit

September 24, tomorrow, is the last day to register for the class action against TransUnion for selling consumer’s private data to businesses without permission. If you held a credit card between January 1, 1987 to May 28, 2008, you’re eligible to receive benefits. You can choose from one of three options:

1) free credit report monitoring for six months, plus cash if there’s any money left over in settlement fund and you still get to sue them if you want
2) all the benefits of option one but you can’t sue them any further.
3) 9 months of credit monitoring, access to some free credit scores, and free use of TransUnion’s mortgage simulator service – but no cash payment. For more information, visit the settlement site at ListAction.com or call 1-866-416-3470.

ListClassAction [Official Settlement Site] (Thanks to Scott!)
PREVIOUSLY: Massive TransUnion Settlement To Reveal Credit Scores (Photo: dbdbrobot)

Comments

1. spyz88 says:

OK so just to clarify they gave up my personal information and privacy for profit and I get:

Useless service #1, #2, or #3? Wow I feel much better now.

2. RStewie says:

I’m holding out for the cash!!

• Subliminal0182 says:

@RStewie: Just an fyi to everyone holding out on the cash:

If cash benefits become available they will not be distributed until at least two years after the Court grants final approval.

3. m4ximusprim3 says:

umm, why would anyone choose option 2?

4. timmus says:

What a crappy settlement. Who the hell are these lawyers and who picked them?

• agnamus says:

@timmus: You’re new here, aren’t you? If you’ve been here for any extended period of time, you would know that in class actions, the only people who make money are the lawyers–everyone else gets coupons.

• alhypo says:

@agnamus: That’s true. It might be best to think of class action lawsuits as punitive rather than compensatory. Instead of focusing on all the money you don’t get, concentrate on all the money TransUnion looses. I would rather greedy, opportunistic lawyers get that money than allow corporations to operate unchecked.

Ugh… I feel so dirty for saying that.

• thor79 says:

@alhypo: Exactly…class actions are more about punishing the corporation rather than getting adequate compensation for the members of the class. It is all about that and making the lawyers wealthy.

5. corinthos says:

I hate when settlement offers are more crap from the same corporation.

• bairdwallace says:

@corinthos: Yeah, I remember some consumerist posting saying something like “there needs to be a law that the lawyers need to be paid in kind on these class actions”. Man, that would be great.

• @corinthos: Yeah, what is probably involved with the “free monitoring” is that you have to sign up for the service like a normal schmuck, give all your CC info, and then after the 6-month term they automatically renew your subscription and charge you the full price. Thus, TransUnion ends up coming out of this lawsuit with a profit! Hooray justice!

6. ogremustcrush says:

Yeah, I chose the cash option. Ten-to-one after the lawyers are done there wont be any left (or if there is, it will be like 12c per class member), but I really don’t care about the monitoring junk.

7. bairdwallace says:

The link in option 3) is:

[www.listaction.com]

I think its supposed to go to: [www.listclassaction.com]

On the site, they list the three options you listed, but when it comes time to select them, they list four:

Benefit Selection (you must select one of the following)*:
    *Six Months of Credit Monitoring
    *Potential Cash Payment (If Available)
    *Six Months of Credit Monitoring and a Potential Cash Payment (If Available)
    *Nine Months of Enhanced Credit Monitoring

I picked the six months with potential cash. I hope I didn’t kill my option to sue later, not that I’d ever get it together to sue. I just like to have the option.

8. Oface says:

I pulled up and the not suing any further is not an option. Its one of these choices:

6 months of credit monitoring
    Potential Cash Settlement (If Available)
    6 Months of credit monitoring AND Potential cash settlement (If Available)
    9 Months of ENHANCED credit monitoring.

Ugh. crappy crappy choices all the way around.

9. Oface says:

Crap. You beat me.

10. 12-Inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

I did the 6 months with possible pay option…I thought about the 9 month option, but since I didn’t do enough research on what the “access to some free credit scores” entails, I figured the cash option doesn’t hurt…

11. sirillium says:

If I am offended they gave away my personal information and I would like some cash, all I have to do is complete a form on an amateur website, giving an unknown law firm some personal information? If I truly worry about my personal information, this would be a little hypocritical.

12. midwestkel says:

@bairdwallace: Thanks for the updated info…

13. johnnya2 says:

I don’t need them monitoring my credit. I can do that for free already. Give me cash!!!

14. Lepoth says:

I signed up for the credit monitoring for S&Gs and the cash.

15. XTC46 says:

Unless you sustained monetary damages becasue of this, you dont deserve cash for anything. Take the free monitoring and be happy.

16. ScottHardy says:

Ben made some good points, but OUR opinion is that you should choose the option for six free months of credit monitoring AND whatever is left in the settlement fund. As mentioned multiple times above, if there’s cash left over in the settlement fund they’re splitting it among all those who choose that option. What, you don’t want the credit monitoring? OK, that’s fine, you can just choose the option for cash.
    So, why NOT select the option for free money? Yes, you might get Zippo if the settlement fund is exhausted. . . BUT, you might get something. . . All for spending sixty seconds and filling out the online form. Easy as that.

Check out our full report on it here:
    TransUnion Settlement
    [www.topclassactions.com]

And more lawsuit settlements you can take part in here:
    [www.topclassactions.com]

Did you know that one day in January some leading department stores will be giving away free cosmetics due to a price fixing settlement? Yes, it’s true. Also, Verizon is refunding many of the ETFs charged in the past 9 years. Why not claim yours if you were charged?

If you want to be kept in the loop of the LATEST settlements, make sure to join the newsletter list. Some more good ones just came down the pipe and will be posted soon.

Warm Regards,
    Scott Hardy
    CEO and President of Top Class Actions LLC
    [www.topclassactions.com]
    “What class action settlements can YOU take part in? Find out at Top Class Actions.”

17. Antediluvian says:

I want to know what a “mortgage simulator service” is.

18. Blackneto says:

I’m not signing up for this. there’s no way i’m going to give these people my personal information!

19. fett387 says:

What if that website is a scam too? So now we give away our person info because we think we are getting benefits from someone that benefitted from giving away our personal info.
    I’m getting dizzy….

20. Mysterry says:

Why do all three options suck? … oh well, be happy with what you’re given, right? ¬.¬

21. samim.garza says:

The website isn’t even secured. Why would I give them my personal info?

22. cordeliapotter says:

I get an error every time I try to register.