LPC Has Pre-Approved Your Neighbor For Credit—Please Let Him Know

Erin writes:

I just opened my mail for today. I just received a pre-approved credit card application and they ::oops:: included another one for my neighbor, in my envelope.

Gosh, that doesn’t sound very secure.

Of course I will just shred both pre-approved applications. I wouldn’t want pre-approved cards floating around out there with my name on it in strangers mailboxes. So included is also instructions from the company [on] how to remove your information from the database. I know I wouldn’t trust them with mine.

If you want to make sure LPC doesn’t mail your pre-approved credit card app to someone else, you can contact them at the addresses below:

LPC
P.O. Box 21804
Los Angeles, CA 90021

customerservice@lowpaycard.com

Comments

1. _NARC_ says:

Sounds like they had a folding/stuffing error at the printer. I would wager that they stuff them sequentially so that they can drop them off at the post office presorted.
    [www.usps.com]

2. AMerrickanGirl says:

Google “opt out” for information on how to stop getting credit card offers in the mail. They really do go away when you do this.

3. christoj879 says:

I live somewhat near you!

4. johnnya2 says:

Erin, with the 9 digit zip code you have given away your address which you redacted earlier.I think that is your choice, but your neighbor may not want that information spread by you anymore than they do by LPC.

• @johnnya2: Thanks, johnnya2. I’ve edited out the +4 on the zip.

• _NARC_ says:

@Chris Walters: Still showing for me Chris.

092208-006-preapprovedcards494.jpg

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

thanks! i never thought to look for the ‘opt out’ info. but i worry that then they would just consider that verification that their info is correct and ignore the opt out request? whether it’s illegal to ignore it or not….
        i DO love to save the little fake plastic or cardboard cards that come in these though [as long as it's not one that put my actual name on the card.] the plastic ones make excellent ice scrapers and either is useful in a ‘fake wallet’ – when i travel i carry a cheap dummy wallet with a few bucks for small purchases and some of these cards in it. any casual pickpocket might be fooled by the top edges showing from the card slots when i take out the wallet to make a purchase, and hopefully won’t look harder for my secretly stashed ‘real’ wallet with my actual cards in it. fortunately i haven’t been forced to test the theory yet.

@Chris Walters: +4 doesn’t show on the main page thumbnail but is still showing on the photo header to the main post as of 1:44am EST

• formatc says:

@Chris Walters: I’d recommend redacting the PostNet barcode as well. Not only is the +4 readable there, but so is the delivery point which is even more detailed information.

5. legwork says:

Chris, the pic still shows the +4 info.

6. rshettle says:

I like to open those offers and take out the prepaid envelope and stuff it with all sorts of other junkmail. Then they get to pay for it twice. If everyone did that, I would bet that the mass mailings would decrease substantially.

• Trick says:

@rshettle: I do that but I have read that it doesn’t really work. The drone who opens the envelope will just throw it away. However the return ratio for market research will show how many people responded to whatever crap was sent in the first place. The higher the return, even if a majority was junk would still look good on paper.

• rshettle says:

@Trick: The point I was getting is that they have to PAY postage to get their own crap back in the mail. I could care less if they open it, just that they have to pay to get.

7. TGT says:

Double stuffed pre-approved credit card offer? Pshaw. This past summer I got a double stuffed summons from the local district court!

Mine was as the victim in a drunk driving case (my parked car was really the victim), but the other notice was for a defendant, mentioning that they would be held in contempt if they failed to appear. I didn’t think standard mail counted as a valid summons, but what do I know?

The district court told me I could shred it, or send it back to them. Instead, I was nice and dropped it in the neighbors mailbox with a note.

8. xredgambit says:

I got one of these offers in the mail. I’ve been wanting to send to the consumerist. I believe the card they send it real and not a cheap plastic thing. But you can only use it at their online store. This seemed like a bit of a scam or a really bad idea.

9. MameDennis says:

I had that happen with some access checks over the summer. Of course, I shredded them (mine and the stranger’s). It’s scary to think how easy it would be for this sort of stuff to reach someone who would misuse it.

10. Onion_Volcano says:

The opt out advice is great. My junk mail has gone down so much since I registered.

11. Hongfiately says:

Funny story: Ages ago the second phone line at my mother’s house was listed in the phone book as “childrens”. After I went away to college, my mother would regularly get calls from teenybopper girls cruising “childrens” listings on Friday and Saturday nights (this is 20th century BI: Before Internet). She called the phone company to have the number delisted, but there was a charge to do it. Rather than pay extra, we decided a name change was in order. We changed the listing to “Vladimir” and had a good laugh when the new phone book arrived and there it was in print. Soon after Vlad made the phone book, he started getting junk mail. Then he started getting credit card offers. American Express even sent Vald a notice for a pre-approved AMEX gold card. All from a single instance of a phone listing.

12. corbyz says:

I’m not totally sure, since it was in an envelope addressed to you… though clearly by mistake… but shredding your neighbor’s mail sounds like it may be against the law?

13. Hawk07 says:

That happened to me once with a credit card application. The machine stuffed someone elses app into my envelope as well.

14. sam-i-am says:

“You may opt out by not submitting your information.”

Ha!