This Is Probably Not A Good Place To Look For A Job Right Now

Sidd snapped this photo at the Palisades Mall in West Nyack, NY over the weekend. “Flexible hours” in this case might mean a lot of free time very soon.

Comments

1. no.no.notorious says:

HAHA this is funny

i’ve always wondered how steve and barry stayed open so long. i mean, $8 for a shirt? i can promise you that it’s not made well, and the asian children making it are getting pennies. I know every store does that, but to me, it’s a blatient “yes! we outsource our labor!” i’ve always hated this store on principle…i’m glad it’s closing.

things like this to me, show that if you spend a little more a buy QUALITY, well sewn/constructed items, things would be a little better than they are today.

• CountryJustice says:

Steve & Barry’s is a store that constantly leaves me conflicted. On one hand, I love the bargains (I bought a wool peacoat last winter for $10), but I know those prices come with an ethical cost.

@no.no.notorious: I haven’t found anything at Steve & Barry’s that isn’t of a lesser quality than anything you’d find at a brand-name “imperfect” store like Marshalls or Ross. Most times those imperfections are minimal and hardly noticeable, if at all.

I think you’d find that a majority of people would prefer to buy top-quality products made domestically, but the truth is that making a dollar stretch is far more important to those same people. If it wasn’t, knock-offs wouldn’t nearly as prevalent as they are.

2. anker says:

I saw the same signs on the corner yesterday.

Read carefully it says “100 store closing event” read further and is specifies that they are making room for merchandise from closing stores.

The company itself is not closing. They are actively hiring.

3. CountryJustice says:

Also, for anyone curious, here’s a list of Steve & Barry’s stores that are closing/staying open:

[www.steveandbarrys.com]

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

@CountryJustice:
      According to that list, the store in the picture is indeed staying open – NOT closing so go ahead and fill out that application!!

• CountryJustice says:

@algal924: What level of irony is it when I get a new job in the US selling items made in the country where my current US job is being outsourced to?

I just broke my brain typing that.

• harlock_JDS says:

@CountryJustice:

you want irony. My wife if Filipino and we frequently buy cheep stuff at S&B and Old Navy (usually closeout stuff) to send back to family there.

Half the time the stuff we send back was made in the Philippines and it’s cheaper to buy it here and send it back than it is for them to buy it there.

4. mbz32190 says:

I have never had a problem with Steve and Barry’s…and when throwing in ethics, most of the clothes people buy some from the same place, same factories anyway, unless you are actively searching for something “Made in USA”. It is no different if I buy a shirt there, or at Kohl’s really.

5. JustinAche says:

Thank god the one in Orlando is staying open. Some shirts may suck for 8.98, but there are limited places in this world I can get a Tuxedo T-shirt on demand, and dammit, when you need to be classy, you need to be classy

6. DerangedRoleModel says:

I saw the sign on the Steve and Barry’s near me as I was leaving Stop and Shop last night, and like everyone else, did a double-take. Clever positioning of the 100.

7. syndprod says:

I shopped at a S&B once this year, figuring I’d give it a shot. The clothes are SO poorly made that I had to try on a combination of 24 different pairs of shorts, capri pants, jeans, and dress pants to find any that fit. (Seriously. I went to the fitting room 3 times with 8 garments, the max allowed.) The “sizing” was a joke, even among similar items. Two identical items could be both labeled as a “10”, yet one would be falling off and the other impossible to zip up.

Of the two pieces I did buy, one is a pair of “emergency black pants for when the big bosses show up at the office” that are still too huge in the waist; the other is a pair of capris that actually fit well. But of course I couldn’t get them in any other color because the sizing and quality was so effed!

S&B just wasn’t worth the time and effort, in addition to the ethical considerations of possibly questionable labor practices.

8. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I bought a pair of jeans at S&B several years ago, or $7 and they’ve lasted. The only reason I don’t wear them anymore is because they’re too big now, but I’ve been really surprised that they haven’t completely fallen apart.

9. tvh2k says:

Palisades Mall represent! Seriously though, I did love the $7 T-shirts and $10 hoodies. S&B RIP

10. duffm4n says:

I’ve seem some stores that have been “closing” for years just to get people in the store.

11. Man, when I go to NY, I only bring my computer bag and a few clothes. I always stock up at S&B for stuff to wear while I’m being all touristy. So cheap.