Baskin Robbins Death Shake Has 2,300 Calories

Please, do not ever buy this 2,300 calorie shake from Baskin Robbins, which contains approximately half a pound of sugar. As Consumerist reader Doug points out,

Last time I checked, an adult male should consume 2,500 calories a day, and this shake nearly meets that requirement! The saturated fat present in that shake is over 3 times the RDA of 20 grams, which will put you on the fast track for heart disease. Of course, that’s if the Type 2 diabetes caused by all 266 grams of that sugar doesn’t get you first.

While I believe that people should be held responsible for what they consume, I think corporations need to share just a little responsibility too, and not sell piles of liquid sugar and fat like this. I’d be surprised if even 1 in 100 of the folks that consume that shake know just how bad it is.

On the plus side, it does provide 120% of the RDA for calcium. Oh, and about 1600% of the RDA for Heath candy bars.

(Our tipster, Doug, came up with “death shake.”)

Comments

1. Hamtronix says:

ahhh, just throw a couple of nuts on it and then people will think it is healthy!

2. nicemarmot617 says:

Holy crap – a milkshake should not have such a long ingredient list!

3. Dilbitz says:

I totally want one now. I love Heath Bars….

4. TracyHamandEggs says:

Maybe people should be allowed to consume what the want…

• aurf says:

@TracyHamandEggs!:

I agree. Companies should be putting the nutritional info right there with the price though. I’m sure many many people will buy that thing not knowing how bad it is like it says in the article.

Before I started eating healthy I used to eat whatever I wanted without a care in the world. Now I look back and see something like the chicken crispers at Chilis having 130 grams of fat. (not including fries, dipping sauce, etc.) Thats nuts. Even when I wasn’t eating healthy having 130 grams of fat and 1200 calories written next to the price would have made me eat something else.

• eelmonger says:

@aurf: Thanks for ruining Chili’s for me. I just looked it up and the Honey Chipotle Chicken Chrispers I love so much have 99 grams of fat without dipping sauce or the fries. Almost nothing has a reasonable amount of fat, even the steamed broccoli has 8 grams of fat. Steamed broccoli!

• @TracyHamandEggs!: People *are* allowed to consume what they want (unless you’re talking about drugs, but hey, I’m pro-regulation) — but nobody SHOULD consume that. They’re free to, but they’d be stupid to, except under very particular circumstances.

And considering how very infrequently it would be wise for anybody to consume that, it’s doubly sick that the company isn’t forced to provide information to people about what’s in it.

Duh.

• strathmeyer says:

@TracyHamandEggs!: “Maybe people should be allowed to consume what the want…”

Maybe? What’s made you so unsure?

5. I drink your milkshake! (slurp) I drink it up!

6. weakdome says:

this milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

• DaisyGatsby says:

@weakdome:

Yeah, the GRAVEYARD.

;-)

When I used to work at B&R as a kid, you were allowed two free scoops of ice cream per shift and I’d make a shake with the Peanut Butter & Chocolate ice cream.

Now that’s good calorie-laden eatin’…

7. Hey, if it works for Michael Phelps….

8. DakotaClio says:

Yes, maybe people should be free to consume what they want.

Nevertheless, our society is one that sets standards about what is and is
    not acceptable to consume, where “acceptance” hinges *solely* on real or
    perceived health benefits.

That is, as a gambling man, I would bet that this ‘death shake’ is
    unhealthier for you than a marijuana joint. I would partake of neither, yet
    the former is freely available while the latter is a criminalized,
    controlled substance.

I’ll go as far as to say that the “Death Shake” causes more aggregate bodily
    harm than all the prostitutes in all of North America, yet which is
    criminalized?

And so forth.

9. Crash Davis says:

Baskin Robbins should be ashamed! Heath Bars? Yuck. Is there any way to get Snickers instead?

10. madanthony says:

Obviously, if you are drinking one of these every day you’ve got problems.

But even with the ludicrously high calorie content, if you have one once every month or two, eat healthy the rest of the time, and are active, it won’t kill you.

• NYGal81 says:

@madanthony: Amen. I’m reading a great book right now about how flawed Western attitudes toward eating/consumption are, and it has really freed me up to enjoy things–even milkshakes that are unholy in their nutritional content–as long as I eat sensibly the rest of the time. We have an obsession in this country with “eating healthy,” yet we, as consumers of the Western diet, are one of the least healthy cultures in the world. Quite the contradiction, wouldn’t you say? I cringe when I read articles like this…it totally feeds the obsession. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying to down one of these bad boys every day. A little common sense goes a long way.

11. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Unreal!! I follow the Atkins diet, and this drink has FIFTEEN TIMES the number of carbs I eat in a day!!!!!

12. Kyattsuai says:

A deadly shake named after Heath Ledger?! Too soon, Baskin Robbins…

13. vpsychward1 says:

the chocolate oreo shake has 2600 calories.
    OVER 1/2 pound of sugar AND 1/3 of a pound of fat……. MMMMMMMM

Good thing im lactose intolerant

• The_Gas_Man says:

Holy. Crap. How is this even possible? This should be featured on an episode of Modern Marvels.
      @vpsychward1:
      Haha me too. Now I’m not tempted to try it!

• @The_Gas_Man: Haha! I can imagine it being on those facts that pop up before commercials. It’d be on the same list as those giant bridges, large cranes, big dump trucks, and mining operations.

Even at 125 lbs, I wouldn’t consume this if I hadn’t eaten anything all day. This makes a Big Mac looks healthy conscious.

14. Overheal says:

They might have attracted less attention by calling it a “Milkshake Phelps” instead of a “Death Shake”. Bad marketing if you ask me.

15. ShariC says:

In Japan, they’re starting to print the calories in snack foods on the front of the boxes in large print so you can see exactly how many calories you’re going to be eating without even picking up the box. I think this is a pretty good idea and should be something manufacturers have to do by law all over the world.

People should do whatever they want to their bodies, but they should also be making informed choices.

16. ironchef says:

That sounds perfect for my next ironman race.

17. dmuth says:

The calcium in these will ensure that your ribs do not break as the doctors perform CPR after the eventual massive heart attack. :-)

(I’m the guy who submitted the story, BTW. I figured folks would find it amusing/scary.)

18. kruz01 says:

“I think corporations need to share just a little responsibility too”

What do they want a healthy Ice Cream shop? Also I think the inch layer of caramel on the bottom of the glass should be the tip that its not o healthy for you.

PS. I think it looks quite tasty

19. humphrmi says:

Mmmm, Heath shake. Perfect finisher for the Six Dollar Burger. Then I’m going to step outside and light up a smoke.

20. yasth says:

With rising food prices something like this is handy. It is nice to know that baskin robbins knows that you can’t eat out as often as you used to, this handy shake provides a heart days food for under $5.

Woman an a diet? No problem! just split one, and an apple, and you’ll be good to go for the entire day.

21. GeoffinAround says:

Pretty crazy shake, that. But…

1. I love milkshakes.
    2. I love Heath bars.
    3. I’d probably eat half a small & realize I made a mistake.

Each time I crave a Blizzard from DQ (maybe twice a year), I just remind myself of the last time I had one. It was like getting a new cavity with every spoonful.

Food with nutritional content this grim will taste like it.

22. corsec67 says:

Not everyone is on a 3,000 calorie/day diet.

That would make a great dessert to dinner when I am out firefighting.

Seriously, I have eaten an MRE(3,000 calories) between lunch and dinner quite a few times. When you are working hard and exercising, you eat more.

That said, if your recommended diet is around 3,000/day, that would be most of your food for the day.

• ludwigk says:

@corsec67: Professional athletes and the like can eat 10-12k calories a day just to break even. I had a friend with an ULTRA high metabolism who would eat entire pints of Ben & Jerry’s, or 1 lb bags of peanut butter cups as a snack. He ate maybe 5-6k calories when he wasn’t working out, and much more when he was, and he had a wiry thin muscular build. If he didn’t hate baskin robins, this shake would be up his alley.

If you’re recommended diet is 2-3k, and you ate this shake, you’d get your calories for the day, but not much else, like nutrients and such. So, your body would keep craving other things for sustenance. That’s how baskin robbins makes us fat!

• mrearly2 says:

@corsec67:
      Sure, you can get away with eating a zillion calories, but refined sugar provides only “empty calories”–with no nutrition whatsoever. Furthermore, refined sugars cause insulin spikes, which are destructive to the heart and blood vessels.
      If you’re working hard, it’s best to eat more protein and good fats.

23. Nik in Denver, formerly in NOLA says:

At least they’re listing the value for the actual cup size instead of saying a serving is 8oz and there are 4 servings per container. They may be pushing a deathshake, but they’re at least honest about it.

24. MyPetFly says:

Casket Robbins… (I know, that was lame.)

25. badhatharry says:

Here’s what I want to see:

A person whose girth requires them to occupy two seats on an airplane, but only buys one ticket, boards a plane, sits next to me, and then pulls out this drink.

The sheer F-U of that action would be the coolest thing I would ever see.

26. ElleDriver says:

On the BR’s site, there a chart listing “Allergy Data” – one of the things listed was, ugh, “Crustaceans”. Is there a crab-flavored ice cream that I’m not aware of? Why the hell do they need to list this, if it doesn’t exist in their ice creams? (Or does it?)

• ludwigk says:

@ElleDriver: Kelp extract is a common icecream additive to stabilize the product and produce a more consistent texture. Maybe its processing ends up trace amounts of shell? It’s the only thing from the ocean that I can think of that ends up in icecream, and it would affect all flavors.

27. redxmagnum says:

That picture makes me want to go on a late night insulin run. Who’s with me?

28. Firesoul1 says:

a nice touch would be the grim reaper
    drinking it.

29. MyPetFly says:

“Crustaceans…”

The hired hands there have crabs. Does that count?

30. kabuk1 says:

Good god, who eats this crap??? I’m almost vomiting just thinking about all that fat & sugar.

I agree that people should be able to choose their own foods but items like this are just ridiculous. There needs to be some sort of corporate responsibility to not put out HORRIBLY unhealthy things such as this shake. They need to at least start printing the nutrition facts on the cups. I bet you anything that there are people who order this & have NO IDEA just how ungodly bad it really is. I wouldn’t have guessed it was that unhealthy, that’s for sure.

31. Ben_Q2 says:

I’m sorry why I can see it having a lot of Calories, but a 1/2lb of sugar at the that size. You would be drinking Cake Icing. Never had one, really never will. I make my own ice cream and shakes (no I do not make the milk, cost to much, and then I have to kill the cow).

32. Eric1285 says:

I don’t think I’d eat one of these things even on one of my “gorge” days. I’ve been known to go nuts and ingest close to 10,000 calories in a day. It wouldn’t be nearly as much fun if 2,300 of them came from just one milkshake.

33. TVarmy says:

I’d like to try it, just to see how they pulled that off. But I’d have to drink so little of it to survive the glucose rush, they should just offer it in shot glasses. Actually, wasn’t there a cupcake bakery that was selling shots of frosting a while ago? Hmm…

I’d seriously pay money for nicely crafted liquid candies served in 1.5 oz sizes. I mean, I know the existing blenders wouldn’t work for that volume, but I want it and I’m not in the mood to be realistic.

34. Cary says:

Making fun is all well and good but can you imagine that on top of a big slice of dutch apple pie?

That’s what cardiologists are for.

And it really does sound good… doesn’t it?

35. Grimmtooth says:

In the interest of actually having factual information on a fact-based blog, I’d like to point out that eating sugar does NOT cause Diabetes.

Jebus, people.

• Firesoul1 says:

@grimmtooth:
      are you joking? because im
      not really good at detecting
      sarcasm. for your reading pleasure
      i have this for you.

[www.fda.gov]

• Grimmtooth says:

@Firesoul1: Reading comprehension FAIL.

Diabetes is a condition in which blood sugar levels are too high, as the page says. What it does NOT say is that sugar CAUSES diabetes. It DOES NOT.

Eating a candy bar will not GIVE you diabetes.

Drinking a milkshake will not GIVE you diabetes.

Seriously, I’m over here trying to fight misinformation and this sort of thing is making it worse.

• ZekeSulastin says:

@grimmtooth: You’re never going to be able to fight off the misinformation horde who take things and extrapolate them way too far. This is the Internet.

Having said that, I for one want to try this milkshake. Damn the calories and fat, it’s not like I’m gonna eat two anyways.

36. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

as a type I diabetic that’s 44 units of insulin for me… i usually only take an average of 50 in a whole day!

i know better than to even try it, but that amount of sugar would hospitalize me, literally

37. That thing must taste really really really REALLY good. But yeah, that is a little over the top..

38. pete says:

I had one after I read about this shake back in May -
    [health.yahoo.com]
    I was going through a milkshake phase at the time (still am), and this seemed like the ultimate one.
    It was ok, nothing special. Couldn’t finish it though – too big.
    But after hearing the Oreo one has 2600 calories I might have to go back for that one… :)
    /has a very high metabolism (artificial)
    //not a fattie, 6′ 200lbs
    ///I drink your milkshake. I drink it up.

39. 32 ounces of Corn Syrup and high fructose corn syrup.

Yep, yep, yep.

40. Cliff_Donner says:

Back in the 70′s, I would have said, “Oh, they’re mixing a candy bar into my favorite ice cream treat — cool!”

But 320% of your recommended daily allowance of saturated fat?

266 g of sugar?

And trans fat — 2.5 grams — is this really necessary??

So, my choice is, have one of these shakes, or have 3 days of sensible meals — but not both?

In any case, in the 70′s, we did not have access to this kind of nutritional information. Kudos to whoever has in 2008 made it available (at least on-line, if not at the point of purchase). Customers should absolutely have the right to buy these toxic confections. They just should have adequate notice of how toxic they are.

• ZekeSulastin says:

@Cliff_Donner: Although your points are generally correct, I have to laugh a little bit at your boldening of 2.5g of Trans Fat. ZOMG 2.5 GRAMS?!! … the MREs I used to eat multiples of per day have quite a bit more than that despite being ‘only’ 1200-ish calories. Besides, given that this thing has more calories than most people should EAT in a day, 2.5g isn’t much.

• purplesun says:

@ZekeSulastin: Not of trans fat. Trans fat is an industrially created fat which serves no useful purpose in the human body. The only thing it has been shown to do is promote coronary artery disease. Recently, it’s been shown to also play a part in Alzheimer’s, liver problems, infertility, etc, etc.

That’s why you don’t see a daily percentage on that chart.

I would sincerely hope the manufacturers are looking to phase out trans fats in mre’s, since a number of countries are in the process of forcing companies to reduce or eliminate trans fats from the food that their citizens eat.

41. There’s nothing stopping someone from buying it, sticking it in the freezer, and eating it over the course of a few days.

• Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@Poisonous Taoist: Nobody does that. For example, if you look on the nutrition label of a 20 oz bottle of soda, it says “2.5 servings.”

I don’t know anyone who buys a 20 oz. bottle of soda and then takes 2.5 days to drink it.

• no.no.notorious says:

@Poisonous Taoist: yeah, but most people don’t do that. they eat the whole thing, and swear up and down that they can’t loose weight. I get people like that at the restuarant i work at all the time. (mostly women) will say things like “i’m trying to watch my weight. i’ll have a caeser salad and a cup of seafood chower (which is a creamy soup.)” that’s almost 30 grams of fat right there.

but yes, thats alot of freakin’ calories. i’m not saying they should stop selling it, but i think places need to be more open as to how many calories are in their food. fat makes food taste good, but i’m sure that if some of the items in this thing were replaced with lower fat items, most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

42. ForrestWhitakersLazyEye says:

I’ll take the Angioplasty for $500, Alex.

43. Hongfiately says:

This sumbitch outdoes the Hardee’s Monster Thickburger by almost 1,000 calories. And it’s a shake. There’s not even any meat or cheese in it.

“I’m having a health shake.”

“No, moron. That’s a HEATH shake.”

44. BigBoat says:

Ingredients: reduced fat milk, heath bar crunch ice cream (cream, nonfat milk, caramel ribbon (corn syrup, sweetened condensed whole milk (milk, sugar), water, high fructose corn syrup, butter (cream, salt), propylene glycol, sodium alginate, salt, natural and artificial vanilla flavors, potassium sorbate (preservative), soy lecithin, annatto color, sodium bicarbonate, propyl paraben (preservative)) , heath® bar candy pieces [milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), salt, and vanillin (an artificial flavoring)), sugar, palm oil, dairy butter (milk), almonds, salt, artificial flavoring, and soy lecithin], sugar, corn syrup, toffee base (sweetened condensed whole milk, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, natural flavor, disodium phosphate, and salt), whey powder, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, polysorbate 80), fudge topping (corn syrup, sugar, water, hydrogenated coconut oil, nonfat milk, cocoa (treated with alkali), modified corn starch, salt, sodium bicarbonate, disodium phosphate, potassium sorbate (a preservative), natural and artificial flavors, soy lecithin), jamoca ice cream (cream, nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, jamoca extract (coffee extract, sugar, potassium sorbate and methyl paraben (as preservatives)) whey, caramel color, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, carob bean gum, guar gum), caramel praline topping (corn syrup, sweetened condensed whole mil, water, sugar, modified food starch, butter, salt, propylene glycol, natural and artificial flavor, sodium citrate, xanthan gum, lecithin, potassium sorbate and propyl paraben as preservatives), hershey’s® heath® milk chocolate english toffee (milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, nonfat milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], salt, and vanillin [an artificial flavoring]), sugar, palm oil, dairy butter (milk), almonds, salt, artificial flavoring, and soy lecithin), whipped cream (whipped cream (cream, milk, sugar, dextrose, nonfat dry milk, artificial flavor, mono & diglycerides, carrageenan, mixed tocopherols (vitamin e), to protect flavor, propellant: nitrous oxide).
    ***
    I know, I know it’s right at the link. But lordy-lou, look at that list!

45. audiochick says:

I just did the math. This abomination is 55 Weight Watchers points. To be allowed that number of points in one day you would have to weigh almost 550 lbs!

46. TheSeeker says:

I’ve had those a couple timesin the past…well not the heath but the Reeses. Yummy! Never new they wer that loaded tho.

47. Me. says:

When I used to work at Starbucks (I know, I know….) the Toffee Almond Bars used to be called Toffee Heath bars or something similar to that.

At 5 am, people always misread it as “Health” and would order 2 or 3 of them with their morning coffee, thinking they were healthy. >_<

48. AllenK says:

All I can say is “Yummm!!” That’s decadence at it’s finest. I was hitting the Baskin-Robbins on vacation pretty much every night,but I never tried one of those.

The DQ Moo-Latte rules all,and they’re cheaper than what you get at that coffee place.

I’ve gotten to where I don’t buy any of those types of drinks anymore. I usually treat myself to one onn special occasions such as my birthday,the holidays,vacation etc…

That stuff goes straight to my gut and rear-end.

49. papahoth says:

yea, but it has no HFCS in it, all natural cane sugar so that must make it all right

50. merq says:

@Kyattsuai: Best laugh I’ve had in a week.

The ingredient list has to be one for the record books. But aren’t we overreacting just a bit? At least it has no trace of crustacean.

51. I think I gained a pound just by looking at the picture…

52. Whyspir says:

…Am I the only one that actually wants to have one of those?

I mean, sure as hell it’s not good for me and I would probably die from eating it…

BUT IT LOOKS SO GOOD!

53. moore850 says:

I vote for a new “death shake” watch and category where we keep track of if anyone gets up over 2300 calories for a shake.

54. Sweeeeet! And yeah, I am in the party of “let people eat what they want”, but I do think nutritional info should be easily seen or found at the time of purchase.

55. MrSpaz says:

I’m no apologist, but this is a 32 ounce milkshake. That much volume is ludicrous. There needs to be another line on that nutritional info that says “serves 4.”

Of course, the smallest size they sell is a 16 oz., so if you wanted anything near a reasonable serving size (6 or 8 oz.), you’d still be throwing some away.

On the other hand, you could buy the small and split it with someone. 495 calories for a dessert seems much more reasonable.

56. parrotuya says:

But it says Health Shake on the cup!

57. alysbrangwin says:

It’s a relief they used reduced fat milk!

58. Quilt says:

2300 calorie milkshake? That’s all I needed to hear. I want it!

59. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

I’ve remained blissfully ignorant until now. This post has inspired me to finally suck it up and check how bad my delicious Oreo Sundae is. Not quite 2300, but 1330 calories. Yikes.

60. Tzepish says:

I could probably consume one of these shakes… as long as it’s over the course of one month. No way could I eat this thing over the course of only a week…

61. Ajh says:

I’d probably buy one and split it with a friend or two….

62. timsgm1418 says:

At least it’s made with low-fat milk

63. Trai_Dep says:

So how can we get this wonderful item added to the White House bedtime snack menu w/in the next two-odd months?

64. kdollarsign says:

dude, I’m starting to think like milkshakes are bad for you or something.

65. u1itn0w2day says:

Lighten Up!and not Baskin Robbins.

I agree with zeke and grimm .

It all depends on the individual,yeah if you have one of these a day it MIGHT be trouble.It depends on your lifestyle,fitness habits or body metabolism.These things aren’t as cheap as the McDonalds dollar menu either

If you want to note calories,or sugar or peanut content fine but to ban,penalize or judge because someone wants to eat this and can eat this is wrong.

• amillians says:

@u1itn0w2day: Ah, I see you’re not a small business owner who has seen their employer health coverage premiums rise 30% year after year due to statistical group-weighting and the ever-expanding national waistline.

Thanks Baskin Robbins! Now I know what to serve at our company picnic…might as well get our monies worth on the healthcare front.

• u1itn0w2day says:

@amillians: Health care/ premiums are a seperate issue here.

But your employees or anyone else’s for that matter are making choices,including to eat and use the health coverage that was arranged for the them.

Overweight or too much fat usually comes from burning less calories than you take in.If people don’t know when to stop eating or show restraint or worse yet not exercise that is their problem.Alot of health issues come from the lack of education,basic education.

Why should people be penalized in the way of choices for someone else’s weight.Baskin Robbins is not the cheapest junk food around.It’s not as accessable as the dollar store or a candy bar from 7-11.Nor is
        Baskin Robbins touting this as healthy food.Most people treat a place like Baskin Robbins let alone the food from Baskin Robbins as a treat or dessert place and not a primary source of nutrition.

If somebody has special dietary requirments fine put a few labels on the stuff.Not everybody is going to function or react the same way to food.

66. Onouris says:

I bet it tastes bloody fantastic though.

• orlo says:

I bet it tastes like crap, like bloody crap– the first ingredient is reduced fat milk and the ice cream is made with nonfat milk! They’re robbing us out of at least another 500 calories.

67. Gorphlog says:

Everything that actually tastes good is bad for you. Thats why MDonalds fries are no longer good. they stopped frying them in lard :(

68. foodfeed says:

it’s usually the large shake is made with four junior scoops mixed with skim milk and topped with whip etc. why would anyone assume a large cup of mostly of ice cream is low in fat or calories?

69. P_Smith says:

Who needs that crap? All summer I was blending milk with mixed frozen fruit from Costco, sometimes with a little chocolate or honey. Hell, sometimes I was eating them for lunch, and it’s certainly better than a “death shake”.

70. Decaye says:

This is such a joke. Anyone who doesn’t realize a fucking enormous ice cream shake from Baskin Robbin’s is bad for them deserves diabetes. These are things you’re supposed to enjoy as a special treat, not for regular consumption.

71. Decaye says:

Not to mention that the website has links to surprisingly in-depth nutrition facts for everything they sell…

Who knew that the Heath Shake didn’t have crustaceans in it?

72. 1. Ewwwww
    2. Ewwwwwwwww
    3. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I think I shall go eat an entire head of broccoli.

Choice is great, but this is insanity with a straw.

73. mcjake says:

Jesus Christ. That doesn’t even sound tasty. I mean, sometimes shit like this actually sound good even if you will never eat it. “Oh wow, you are taking two greasy salty hamburger patties and covering them in 4 slices of cheese, nacho cheese sauce bacon? Damn that sounds good, even if it will kill me.”

74. kruz01 says:

@rainmkr “I do think nutritional info should be easily seen or found at the time of purchase.”

If you need that information on this at the time of purchase you are an idiot. Inch of caramel on the bottom means don’t get it if you are watching your weight or eating healthy. Also the last thing i want is a menu with a crap load of nutritional info on it. You can kind of tell whats good for you or bad for you if you are halfway intelligent. People need to stop passins the buck for their laziness.

75. Sheogorath says:

@Ingredient list:
    ‘propellant: nitrous oxide’

…wait, what?
    The shake is so calorie laden that it needs a propellant to get to your mouth?

76. peggynature says:

…because God forbid anyone should ever enjoy an over-the-top, calorific treat without believing it will result in INSTANT DEATH!

Eat one on a regular basis? Maybe not a good idea.

Eat one occasionally as the special treat it’s meant to be? (I mean, it’s sold at Baskin Robbins, not the produce aisle of the damn grocery store.) Why not?

BTW, this thing is 32 fl oz, or 1 litre. A milkshake that size could easily be shared between 2-4 people, and I doubt many people could finish the whole thing on their own unless they’d missed a meal or three.

So could we, like, tone down the FOOD ALARMISM!!!! spiel a little bit? If you don’t like something, or find too much/too rich for you, then don’t eat it. It’s as simple as that. You don’t need to start screaming about how it will KILL EVERYONE.

And not labelling A LITRE OF ICE CREAM AND SYRUP as being, yes, quite calorific, isn’t exactly misleading or fraudulent — unless the consumer is a bonafide dipshit.

77. peggynature says:

Sorry, one more thing:

Consuming sugar does not cause diabetes.

[www.diabetes.org]

I’m sure the American Diabetes Association kind of wishes it did — because that would mean it’s easily prevented and cured. But…no.

78. chenry says:

thank god the Reese peanut butter cup one only has 1300 cals. D: God, i’m never having a shake at BR again.

79. mwshook says:

My wife and I shared a large Chocolate Blast last night. It’s not on the menu anymore, but tell them to make a Cappuccino Blast with chocolate syrup instead of coffee, and chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla.

It really is the best beverage in the world. I was always scared it had a calorie content similar to the Heath Shake, but it is only 660. It does appear to contain 86% of your RDA of saturated fat.

Keep in mind, we SHARED this. I would never advise taking on one of these by yourself.

80. morganlh85 says:

Anyone who can actually drink one of their LARGE size shakes all by themselves must be some kind of mutant anyway, and they probably have different nutritional needs than standard humans.

• stre says:

@morganlh85: consider me a mutant. though my nutritional needs aren’t all that different, which is why i weigh 2.5 times what my girlfriend does. (relax, she’s 95 pounds and i weigh 240 at 6’3″. i’m not exactly skinny but no one in their right mind has ever thought i weighed 240 since it fits me)

• TenaciousC says:

@ stre

Before I am flamed, i understand BMI is a poor measure. However stre’s BMI indicated you are obese. So unless you have a significant amount of lean muscle mass, im sure it doesn’t “fit you”. This is exactly the thinking that causes obese people to remain obese.

Your BMI: 30

BMI Categories:

* Underweight = <18.5
        * Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
        * Overweight = 25-29.9
        * Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

81. stre says:

I think the important thing to take out of the nutritional information is that the shake contains 120% of your daily requirement of calcium. that makes it a health food.

82. bmoredlj says:

I’ll stick to the rum raisin shake. Tasty, and it f***s you UP!

83. dmuth says:

Looks like this story just made Fark. They bill it as the “Best Milkshake EVAR”. :-)

84. almostred1 says:

“I think corporations need to share just a little responsibility too, and not sell piles of liquid sugar and fat like this.”

Choices:
    1. Prepare your own food vs. eating out
    2. 2700 Baskin Robbins locations in the U.S. vs. virtually unlimited choices, i.e. anywhere there is a Baskin Robbins, there will be someplace else as well
    3. Choose the Death Shake at BR vs. some other menu item

Here’s the beautiful thing about living in a free society: none of us will ever have to eat this thing if we don’t want to. We have choices.

FALSE: If I eat this once, as a treat, I am going to die.
    TRUE: If I eat it regularly, then I’m a fool and the Social Darwinism so abhorred by the Nerf Society takes over. I get fat, then I die.

Remember that riduculous artery buster that Hardee’s put out a while back? This isn’t about “making informed choices”, it’s about social control. Once the busybodies finished with cigarettes, they turned their attention to yummy snacks.

Be very afraid.

• davidc says:

@almostred1: You seem to have missed the point of the story in your haste to jump on the “free choice” bandwagon.

The point of the story was to ask B&R Corporation to educate it’s customers so they can make an informed “choice”.

Personally I will enjoy a “Shake” from the virtually unlimited choices I have … but if I don’t know that Shake X is far far worse then Shake Y, do I really have the information necessary to make that choice?

No … hence the story … and hence why your comment is off base.

• almostred1 says:

@david.c:

By your logic, “educating” consumers means steering them away from products you consider potentially harmful, hence the comments, re: social control. “Better choices” means forcing people to do what you or some benevolent government entity thinks is best, leaving no room whatsoever for personal responsibility.

Again, the cigarette example applies here: you are demanding that a legal, legitimate product be required to “un-sell” itself to potential consumers.

What do you need to make an informed choice about milkshakes, beyond “more than one per week and you’re an idiot?” Maybe you could force people to show Proof of Exercise before purchasing said tasty treat?

I understand the point of the story, thank you very much, Mr. Condescendingpants. I just don’t agree with it, or you. If you’re the type of person who actually has to compare nutrition information between milkshakes, then Mr. Darwin’s work is already half-finished.

85. framitz says:

I need to gain some weight.

I’m off to find the nearest Baskin Robbins!

Thanks for the tip.

86. SilleeString says:

Death Shake to us, breakfast to Michael Phelps?

87. stre says:

@TenaciousC: “BMI is a poor measure” but “you’re obese because BMI says so”. what kind of twisted logic is this? i understand that judging a person based on their profile picture is a poor measure, but you’re fat based on your profile picture. don’t worry everyone, i said it was a bad measure but i’m going to make a claim since i can’t see the person and he can’t smack me upside the head when i’m being stupid. but i said it was a bad measure, so it’s ok.

if you knew what BMI was, then you’d know you can’t actually determine a person’s BMI by consulting a chart. the charts assume you’ve got some standard ratio of fat to muscle. if you’re a muscly (officially pronounced muskely) person, the charts don’t mean shit. come on over and you can decide if your BMI charts apply, and then i get to smack you upside the head.

88. DAS37 says:

When advocating that people should be free to eat whatever they want, one other thing needs to be taken into consideration. Poor diets high in fat and sugar often lead to poor health. This of course results in health care costs. The burden of ever higher health care costs is shared by everyone so there are societal implications to the freedom of the individual.

That being said, outright banning of foods and forcing people to eat certain things is probably not the way to go. Government should definitely be involved in the education of good health choices and the regulation of the quality of food we eat. They should not be in the business of mandating dietary choices however.

If you end up with heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. and you have a poor diet, then you should shoulder more of the economic burden. That should be the price you pay for your individual choices. I really don’t have specific proposals on how to do that but it should definitely be part of the debate. Soaring health care costs are a significant factor in our current economic situation. We shouldn’t be afraid to put new ideas on the table for discussion.