Comcast Officially Informs Customers Of The 250 GB Bandwidth Cap

Reader Michael forwarded Comcast’s official warning about the new 250 GB download cap that they’ve added (or rather, that they’ve now admitted to) in their Acceptable Use Policy. The cap has been in place for some time, but Comcast is just now getting around to telling everyone about it.

Here’s the email:

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,

We appreciate your business and strive to provide you with the best online experience possible. One of the ways we do this is through our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). The AUP outlines acceptable use of our service as well as steps we take to protect our customers from things that can negatively impact their experience online. This policy has been in place for many years and we update it periodically to keep it current with our customers’ use of our service.

On October 1, 2008, we will post an updated AUP that will go into effect at that time.

In the updated AUP, we clarify that monthly data (or bandwidth) usage of more than 250 Gigabytes (GB) is the specific threshold that defines excessive use of our service. We have an excessive use policy because a fraction of one percent of our customers use such a disproportionate amount of bandwidth every month that they may degrade the online experience of other customers.

250 GB/month is an extremely large amount of bandwidth and it’s very likely that your monthly data usage doesn’t even come close to that amount. In fact, the threshold is approximately 100 times greater than the typical or median residential customer usage, which is 2 to 3 GB/month. To put it in perspective, to reach 250 GB of data usage in one month a customer would have to do any one of the following:

* Send more than 50 million plain text emails (at 5 KB/email);
* Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song); or
* Download 125 standard definition movies (at 2 GB/movie).

In addition to modifying the excessive use policy, the updated AUP contains other clarifications of terms concerning reporting violations, newsgroups, and network management. To read some helpful FAQs, please visit http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-Excessive-Use.

Thank you again for choosing Comcast as your high-speed Internet provider.

(Photo: honeylamb )

Comments

1. superj711 says:

See, now was that hard?

2. femaleconsumerist says:

I hope this means their commercials will stop advertising “unlimited” high speed internet.

3. MikeB says:

Now they need to have a way for the average, read that non-technical, user to monitor their bandwidth usage.

• mugsywwiii says:

@mbouchard:
      The average, non-technical user will never even come close to 250 GB

• Ajh says:

Halfway through this month even downloading warhammer beta…I’m still under 100gb. I’m fine…I’m annoyed..but i’m fine.

@mbouchard: According to the rep I talked to they don’t have a service but he personally thinks they should and probably will if the public start asking for it enough.

4. thinkliberty says:

This directly competes with HDTV over the Internet. It’s nice how they have a local monopoly on broadband and can lock out companies that may want to offer HDTV or HD movies over the Internet.

This is anti competitive action from a monopoly and should be illegal.

Way to keep killing ways to innovate in the US!

• CRNewsom says:

@thinkliberty: You hit the nail on the head. If you watch HDTV online, you can avoid the commercials, and you aren’t paying subscription fees.

Bad customer! (for wanting to view programs on any media you want to)

5. ianmac47 says:

Choosing Comcast? If it were a choice, no one would make it. Monopoly!

6. nybiker says:

How much longer before Time-Warner and Cablevision do this too? Or are they doing it already? I don’t know, as I have Verizon DSL here in NYC.

7. dawime says:

I wonder why people still compare bandwidth to how many songs or emails or pictures you can send. Why not add how many library of congress’s will fit in the pipe?

250GB is most likely sufficient for the majority of their users, however, when you get more HD content online, it wont take long to reach that cap. Something that would make more sense to me would be to have usage pricing, where the more you use, the more you pay, but that will never get adopted because then their revenues would most likely plummet.

8. yungjerry703 says:

verizon if you can hear me HELP! fios is like 5 minutes down i95 please hurry!

9. Trai_Dep says:

So consumers that d/l LESS than average will get a rebate every month, right?
    I can’t wait until the water utilities take the same approach: use their gov”t gifted monopoly to dominate then get all Free Markety, Let’s See What The Market Will Bear, By The Way, We’re Raising Water To $5.00/gal To Offset Selfish Customers Owning Aquariums.
    No? Cablers are doing the same thing.
    /rant

• EE2000 says:

@Trai_Dep: Actually my sewer bill works this way. Flat rate to X gallons/quarter and then more for every 1000 gallons over.

• howie_in_az says:

@Trai_Dep: Don’t jinx yourself: where I live we have a single sewage company who recently doubled their rates to $61 per month. I now pay more for sewage than I do water (~$50/mo).

Broadband in the US is pretty much a joke when compared to Europe. IPTV et al will never take off if companies continue to pull shenanigans like this.

10. chrisjames says:

So what? It’s not like Comcast can reliably deliver over 100 kB/s on streaming content. Considering I’d have to keep that rate up for 24 hours a day over a month… yeah, 250 GB is pretty unlikely.

You’re not gonna address your throttling policies, either? Whatever Comcast-opoly.

11. blackmage439 says:

I’m glad they finally brought this out into the open. I’m all for it. Hopefully this will also aid in some small part to a reduction in spam, or at least identifying whose computers have become zombies in a botnet.

50 million emails in 30 days from a bot is not a far stretch at all.

12. coan_net says:

I don’t like limits – but at least they are telling users what the limits are. (since they have always had limits, but would never tell anyone what they were)

It was like driving down a road with a speed limit sign, getting a ticket from a cop for speeding… but never telling you what the speed limit is or how much you were speeding by. Now Comcast is doing the smart thing and putting up those speed limit signs so users will know.

Again, thank you Comcast.

• milqtost says:

@coan_net: They still need to provide a speedometer though or the speed limit is meaningless. Or in Comcast’s case, they need to provide a way to monitor or check usage for the average user.

13. xredgambit says:

That is Comcastic. So 2-3 GB is the norm? Is this the days and age of dial-up where web sites aren’t filled with ads and graphics and you tube doesn’t exist?
    Is clinton still in office?
    I must be from the future where GB of data can be gone through within an hour.

• mugsywwiii says:

@xredgambit: Do you even remember dialup? I remember queueing up a 22 MB game demo to download overnight, and I thought it was so cool to be downloading such an absurdly large file.

14. moore850 says:

250 gb is high but how many people are really going over that if they need to institute this?

15. Dillenger69 says:

I updated my home router to Tomato and have been tracking my bandwidth usage.

When I’m home the family uses between 4 and 8 gigs per day. My wife does a bit of browsing and email. My elder son is always watching youtube, hulu, or downloading mods for Halflife 2. My younger son is dowloading and playing things on gametap. I’m usually streaming something from netflix or downloading from usenet to catch up on shows hulu and netflix don’t carry. (and playing World of warcraft) Weekday use is a bit lower at 0 to 4 gigs.

We seem to come out a bit higher than their “average user” but still haven’t drawn their ire since they say the cap has been silently in place for a while. I think 250gigs per month is ok for now.

16. RStewie says:

I’m with the previous posters. How can an individual monitor their bandwidth useage?

I’d be calling Comcast every week to find out how close I am to my limit.

• mattplo says:

@RStewie: Thats the point. Comcast won’t be offering up any tools to monitor your bandwidth. They’ve also failed to provide any means by which the customer can obtain mid-month statistics.

You could go ahead and install a software solution on your computer to monitor these statistics. Unfortunately this is not a solution for multi-computer homes. (Unless it’s at your gateway, i.e. router WAN port or Cable modem WAN port) There are solutions that allow you to monitor the WAN router port, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, etc. But these are customer solutions that must be setup/installed by the customer.

As for Comcast, this is a policy that 1.) Forces higher usage customers to go to their “Business” plan (read money grab) 2.) Embrace a policy that lowers bandwidth usage across the board with at no costs to Comcast(read money grab) 3.) Forces off the network those won’t pay for a “Business” plan. (read money grab)

• coan_net says:

@mattplo: You tend to forget this:

COMCAST HAS ALWAYS HAD LIMITS IN PLACE

So now that they are actually admitting the limits so users CAN watch their own usage is a good thing.

Bottom line: If you never received a call from Comcast to talk to you about your internet usage before – you will will most likely not start to receive them now.

I agree it would be nice for them to make available some sort of tool to help user keep track of usage – but again, the limit is not new… it is just newly mad public.

• mugsywwiii says:

@mattplo: I don’t believe Comcast will let you have a business plan at a residence. Perhaps if you are operating a business out of the residence, but business plans aren’t intended for individuals.

17. ShadowFalls says:

Notice the humor they made it clear not to include the how much that would be for high definition video. :)

18. dequeued says:

Wow, people in the rest of the world are getting higher speeds for cheaper every month, while here in America we are going backwards.

How long till we are paying through the noses for dialup speeds?

19. matuszek says:

I watch a lot of MLB.TV streaming video… at 1200 Mbps it would take me… 15.8 hours a day to hit the cap. Or 15.4 if they’re defining “250 GB” as “250,000 MB”. Think I’m okay for now.

• giroml says:

@matuszek:

There are 8 megabits in 1 megabyte, if you get 1200 megabits per second, you are streaming 150 megabytes a second, it will take you 1666 seconds to hit the cap, or 27.76 minutes.

• @matuszek:

There’s no such thing as “1200Mbps” video. That would be called 1.2Gbps video and would be 150 megabytes per second. No internet connection outside of a datacenter could ever dream of pulling down that much data per second.

You are thinking 1200Kbps. Which is 150 KB/s.

Without doing too much more math I think all your numbers are therefore off by a factor of 1,000x.

20. simplegreen says:

CURIOUS…

does this have the same impact as lets say a wireless provider upping their text messaging rates? Does this give you a legal way to leave comcast?

21. sinrtb says:

you always have a legal way to leave Comcast the problem is there is no where to go.

22. Skiffer says:

Time to go back to leeching off my neighbor’s wireless :)

23. Haltingpoint says:

I just hope to god RCN doesn’t see this as a go-ahead to implement something similar. Their customer service sucks but I’ve had very few issues with their internet service. In fact, because of all the customer service/billing issues I’ve had to deal with, I now only pay $30/mo for their 10mbit connection thanks to some negotiation.

But make no mistake, this is the first nail in the coffin for ever increasing bandwidth. The companies want to lower their expenses (ie. amount of bandwidth they allow for people within a certain plan range) and increase their revenue (new pricing tiers, blocking certain types of content that they can then charge you access for). THAT is the future of the internet if you don’t vote with your dollars.

24. TommyFeds says:

Im in a 2 year contract with Comcast and moving. I may need to pull this out of my back pocket as contract breaker.

- Oh, and what does it take to have posts actually posted around her?

25. davidc says:

Why do a lot of people here think they should get “unlimited” bandwidth for a song and a dance? Do they think that “bandwidth” is free?

Bandwidth is something you consume. The more you consume, the more you should have to pay. It’s your choice how much bandwidth you consume, and if you consume 3x more then your neighbor, why should your neighbor subsidize you?

We are starting to come “full circle”. When all of this started, you payed for how long you were connected to the internet (think AoL). Then the companies realized that you would spend more, if they went to flat rate pricing and gave you what appeared to be “unlimited” bandwidth.

Now they have to tighten up this policy mainly because people are doing illegal stuff, or they are running a business out of their home, and not paying for “business” class service.

Or, in the rare case, have umpteen people in a house consuming much much more bandwidth then they should be … which comes back to me (the average user) subsidizing the person with 18 children living at home, all with computers, and all of them surfing youtube.

26. BrianDaBrain says:

On one hand, I understand the step, though in principle I don’t agree with it. It’s just the first step in what will likely be a long march towards internet regulation.

Question though. The letter says that only a fraction of 1 percent are going over the cap… how many customers can that possibly affect? I’m thinking very few, which makes the logic presented in the letter rather flawed.

• davidc says:

@BrianDaBrain: If that 1% of people is spread out geographically, it could affect the entire region.

When you dam up the river, all the creeks the tributaries below that point are affected.

27. And online gamers should know that even the heaviest multi- or single-player gaming activity would not typically come close to this threshold over the course of a month.

Straight to the point…
    Bullshit.

• mugsywwiii says:

@Papa Midnight: Online games really don’t transfer a ton of data; they can’t, because everything has to happen very quickly. Latency matters a lot more in online games than transfer speed.

For example, Halo 3 saves a replay of every game on your hard drive, and a 10 minute game is only a few MB. All of the data necessary to track every action taken by every user over the course of the entire match is only a few MB. So yeah, online gaming gaming won’t make a dent in your 250 GB limit.

28. I’ll also point out that they have failed to define whether or not it’s upload and download or just download.

29. wdnobile says:

Isnt this a material change to the contract?

30. sinduty says:

Again, I love how Canada is still way behind.

You protest about a 250 GB limit per month, how about a 20 GB limit for $50??? (which is average and what I pay)

Of course, one could also choose to pay the $75/month fee to get 100 GB.

Nevertheless, us Canucks up here would be in heaven with such draconian limits of 250GB

31. FreemanB says:

If you are using anywhere near the bandwidth cap, then monitoring your bandwidth shouldn’t be a problem for you. I started monitoring mine at the beginning of this month, just to see how much I was using. My wife and I both play online games, on both PC and consoles. I download movies/TV occasionally, and do a lot of web/email, since I work from home. My total so far this month? Less than 20GB. I think 250GB will likely cover 99.5% of their users by a wide margin.

32. emis says:

250GB/mo … what does this actually break down to?

Assuming 30 days in a month… and a 100% saturated connection is downloading at 8Mb/s …

You could saturate your connection for 142 minutes per day, or about 2.25-hours.

Assuming “50% duty cycle”, double that time, about 4.5 hours every day.

This may seem impossible for “average” users, but in a household with 3-4 internet users it is entirely possible for the average.

As many others probably suspect, this is not REALLY about prevent bandwidth hogs from causing service disruptions… it’s about restricting the development of services that directly compete with Comcast’s own services like Video On Demand (Netflix, Amazon Unbox, etc) and Telephone service.

You watch… they’ll start playing games with prices for higher caps, etc… none of this will affect your connection to the internet or the usage of other users… it’s all designed to maximize their profits because they are a monopoly in many, many areas… DSL, with most places coming in at under 1.5Mb/s as the max available, is no longer REALLY competition for their 8-12Mb/s service… the only true competition is from rival cable companies (my last town had RCN & Comcast) or from Verizon’s FIOS service.

33. emis says:

If they truly cared about the customer they would adopt a form of “roll over MB” similar to what Cingular/AT&T had done…

If in an average month you are a “typical” user taking up 50-100GB of downloads, they will roll forward a buffer of 50-100GB so that if you have a “heavy” month where you take up 300GB you won’t be flagged.

Or maybe they already have unofficially planned to do something similar where they only enforce the policy if you violate it for several months in a row?

Also worth pointing out is that this is 250GB of “bandwidth”… so this is both downloads AND uploads… though that’s not much of an issue they already have such low speed caps on uploads.

• Tiber says:

@emis, @david.c: Actually, if they really cared about bandwidth, they would base it on the time when you are using the internet. Internet is more like a road than a resource. You don’t “consume” a road; after you’re done with it, it’ll still be there for everybody else. The only issue is making sure there’s enough lanes for everybody, especially during rush hour. You’re not going to cause network congestion at 2 AM.

To David: People think they should get “unlimited bandwidth” because they are selling us “unlimited bandwidth”. We are not getting it for free. We pay for a service, and once they have our money, we expect them to deliver what they promise. How they accomplish that is none of our concern, and we don’t want to hear complaints; they need to work that out before they complete the sale. We would rather they didn’t fulfill their obligations by added a bunch of terms to their obligations (especially if those terms contradict their marketing), but if they must do so, they need to admit to it. Before, Comcast never told people what the limit is. People would just get a call telling them not to go over the limit again, but refused to say what that limit is.

Your neighbor subsidizes you because that’s the nature of “all you can eat” pricing; the people who use less cover the costs of the people who use more. If he’s not getting the value of what he paid for, he can use more, or cancel and/or find another service.

Also, it is physically impossible for a home to get more bandwidth than they have paid for, unless they have altered the network illegally. That’s why they promise up to X MB/s for one service, and Y MB/s for another. If anyone on the X plan could get Y plan speeds, why even have the Y plan? By that logic, you would be capable of blazing speeds at 2 AM, since almost no one is online. If the network is overly congested, talk to your ISP rather than complaining about how much your neighbor is using. They are probably overselling their network.

34. The Commenter Formerly Known as StartingAces says:

When I called to report something completely unrelated to my service (Comcast contractor hitting another car) the word “Unlimited” was used to describe my internet plan. When I mentioned the cap, the CSR said “Unlimited” means anything under 250gb.

Does not compute. I’m still hanging onto the recording I made when I signed up for my service here where the CSR said I have “unlimited use of bandwidth”. MLB.TV, Slingbox, Hulu, mobile audio streaming, VNC, and VPN access can add up.

35. fsckyle says:

Every cap is going to be arbitrary until you know what you are using a monthly basis. Like others have suggested, I would recommend loading an alternate firmware on your router like DD-WRT.

I would consider ours a heavy use household and we ‘only’ weighed in at 60gb for the last month. This consisted of streaming video, radio, software downloads, etc. We aren’t capped with our provider but I doubt we’d ever touch 250GB.

36. mike says:

My question is how can someone actually verify this. I know comcast can but they hold all the cards and their deck is stacked.

Not being a huge windows techie (linux here), is there some sort of magic program that keeps track of your broadband usage? I know Windows keeps track of the number of packets within your network settings, but you’d have to find a way to weed out the internal traffic.

37. axiomatic says:

As a PREMIUM paying customer I think I deserve a larger cap, or not cap at all. Otherwise, whats the reason for the PREMIUM price?

Care to answer to this Comcast?

• emis says:

@axiomatic:

I assume you mean you are paying for the higher speed tier?

In that case, you are paying for the ability to reach your monthly cap FASTER then everyone else.

Typical speed is either 6 or 8Mb/s

Higher speed is either 8 or 10Mb/s

They both have “power boost” which is a feature where the first 30 seconds of a connection will operate at up to 150% of your normal speed level or thereabouts.

• axiomatic says:

@emis: You are correct. I am paying to get to the cap faster. Yes I need the bandwidth. I fail to see why I don’t deserve a higher cap. I’m paying about 40% more than the rest of you.

OK Lets try this a different way. I’m willing to pay for NO CAP. Comcast are you listening?

38. azntg says:

Today: 250 GB is considered generous.

Tomorrow: Unless Comcast generously raises its caps to account for the ever increasing bandwidth requirements for normal use (call it a “bandwidth inflation/creep” if you will), it’ll be called an unreasonable bottleneck.

Boy, 640k is more than anyone will ever need! (Gates mentioned in an interview that he did not actually say that. But that mentality in general still lives strong today in the USA)

Next Week: America will officially be called a third world country by other countries, in part, thanks to quasi-national ISPs like Comcast, Time Warner, etc. all following suit (competition with each that actually decreases the bandwidth pool)

39. classic10 says:

Comcast was unlimited until it isn’t getting into their cable business. With Hulu, Netflix and many other sites successfully delivering hi-def TV over the internet very quickly we’ll be downloading more than 250gb.

I can see in the future paying for “basic internet” “extended Basic internet” and “a la carte web channels”. This is just one more step against net neutrality.

40. dvddesign says:

“Download 125 standard definition movies (at 2 GB/movie).”

So, once I get streaming Netflix on my Xbox 360 this fall, this means that if I were a Comcast broadband customer, I’d be screwed since just that one service could potentially swallow up all my bandwidth for a month.

Sounds like fun.

I’d be real interested what my actual usage rates have been averaging over the last few months. I moved into a new place back in late June and got Verizon FiOS’ 15/2 Mb/s service. I’ve never had it so good as I’ve had it with this, and obviously I’ve taken advantage of this increased bandwidth in certain ways, and I fully enjoy my bandwidth. If someone started capping my usage with this giant pipe I have in my home, I’d pitch a fit. Why offer this high speed and service if you have to curtail your use about halfway through a month.

41. hankrearden says:

G’bye Comcast.

42. Dracoster says:

But is it a limit on download, or up and down? Because downloading 250 GB will get you some *bytes in upload.

43. flamaest says:

So much for the joy of using IPTV….

it’s lose/lose poeple, a 250GB cap and still we have throttling policies..

what a joke….

F.

44. thelushie says:

Yep, read about this in The Week. I am so happy to be out from under Comcrap. My internet provider really doesn’t care about what their subscribers do. No caps, no phone calls, no nothing. Of course, they have never had to deal with courts demanding they turn over their records either (at least not that I know of anyway).

45. Skiffer says:

A) If the cap is only going to affect “a fraction of one percent” of people – then how much could those people really have been affecting the rest of the pipe?

B) I deliberately only have Comcast internet and no Comcast cable – my PC is hooked directly into my TV and I rely solely on internet TV / video – as well as a web server for streaming my music library to me at work / on travel – and an ftp server for file access while on the road. Since installing DD-WRT on my router (which logs total traffic by month), my usage has been:

July – 300 GB
    Aug – 216 GB
    Sep (so far) – 166 GB

Aug and Sep only stayed under the limit because of work travel.

Thanks Comcast!!

46. Robobagins says:

Good god folks. It’s not like Comcast is the first putting caps down. And of the companies with publicized caps they’re the largest.

47. josephlevin says:

My son, who watches a lot of streaming video (Power Rangers, PBS online cartoons, Jimmy Neutron, etc.) and one month ate up 130GB. I think perhaps this might have been because for a few nights he left the PC on, but had the monitor (and sound) off, and no one knew that the videos were still streaming. Typically his useage is a lot less, but I was hoping to find means to prevent downloading past a user-definable limit on his Windows XP PC. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might accomplish this? I tried a Google search on various terms but came up with time limiting software (which might be a solution), but I’d rather just limit the total downloads from the Internet if possible.

Thanks for your help!

48. ameyer says:

I just hope AT&T has to be competitive with the Comcastic caps when they implement their caps.

49. DePaulBlueDemon says:

2 to 3 GB/month is typically? I probably reached that in the past 30 minutes. Bad Comcast.

50. resonanteye says:

Time for me to write to netflix and politely explain that I can’t subscribe any longer because comcast won’t allow it.

I watch two or three movies a night while I write and draw. I also watch streaming HD at work on break.

That, combined with my mass upload of large-format photographs I’ve taken, and downloads of video projects I work on for a hobby (I edit short films for a friend who makes “arty” stuff) means that I probably use that much bandwidth in two weeks.

According to their calculations.

51. resonanteye says:

“after work or on break”=

I sometimes go home for lunch

52. feline says:

“To read some helpful FAQs, please visit [help.comcast.net]

“Article Could Not Be Retrieved

We’re sorry, but we were unable to service your request. You may wish to choose from the main categories above for information about a specific Comcast product/service or perform a new search.

We apologize for the inconvenience.”

So….. nobody is asking questions frequently?

53. Mysterry says:

I don’t understand WHY they would do that and sell their “fast 50 MBps” service as well. The reason why people want faster service is because they’re going to do a shit ton of downloading or whatever they wanna do with it.

54. mavrc says:

I’m one of those nerdy folks who must be completely out of touch with the average Comcast internet user, because I bet I could exceed their average 2-3gb/mo with email and IM alone. Hell, I use a gig and a half a month (on average) on my *phone,* and at home I’m on WiFi for that too.

Still, our cable service here in the boonies is so throttled to hell and back I’d pay an extra ten bucks a month to get a guaranteed, uncapped 250GB/mo. But I doubt anyone from CableOne is reading this, because I’m pretty sure nobody from CableOne actually uses the Internet.

55. elislider says:

08/28/2007 09/28/2007 409.39
    09/28/2007 10/28/2007 371.59
    10/28/2007 11/28/2007 543.36
    11/28/2007 12/28/2007 351.28
    12/28/2007 01/28/2008 301.13
    01/28/2008 02/28/2008 226.48
    02/28/2008 03/28/2008 277.79
    03/28/2008 04/28/2008 383.39
    04/28/2008 05/28/2008 154.78
    05/28/2008 06/28/2008 198.32
    06/28/2008 07/28/2008 225.67
    07/28/2008 08/28/2008 189.31

i moved mid-august 2007 and had to get comcast [no more fios :-( ] and these are solely my giganews stats since then, and this has been LIGHT usage. i routinely went over 500gb/mo when i had fios (sweet sweet 1.8MB/s gloriousness)

56. CyberG4 says:

I’ve got a 60GB limit and rarely come close to it, what the heck do you do to download 500GB per month? of course i don’t stram TV so that keeps stuff down but people using 500GB, just… wow

57. Saboth says:

Too bad for you if you have more than 1 person in household downloading games, movies, etc. 250 Gig would be pretty easy to hit if you had roomates.