Give The Gift Of College For Your Next Birthday Party

Thanks to state-sponsored 529 plans, friends and family can finally contribute to college savings funds without drowning under long forms and boring paperwork.

Two websites are making saving for college almost as easy as using PayPal.

• Upromise allows you to contribute to any of their 529 savings plans.
  • FreshmanFund allows you to contribute to any plan, including those hosted elsewhere.

Most states offer their own 529 plans, which act as tax shelters for education money. What reasonable kid would want a video game or a round of pin-the-tail-on-the-bully when they could get the gift of education?!

The Gift of College Savings, Now Made Easy Online [The Washington Post]
RELATED: 529 College Savings Plans By State

Comments

1. TheLemon says:

I’ve been doing this for years now, and Upromise does make it extremely easy for you and others (friends, family) to donate and to build the funds in other ways, such as using the Upromise branded Mastercard and shopping through Upromise’s web portal. They also enclose simple donation forms in your statements to give to those who would like to donate a lump sum to your chosen 529 account.

Definitely an easy way to open a 529 account and continually fund it. You can also set up recurring automatic deposits from a linked bank account. College savings made simple.

2. nicemarmot617 says:

I admit I have no experience with UPromise as a savings vehicle, but I would be very wary of them – in their business dealings they are flat-out sketchy. Especially with the whole “paying their bills” thing.

3. nicemarmot617 says:

Actually, I amend my previous comment – I just remembered we were working with them through an agency, and though the agency blamed UPromise for being sketchy, it may have been that the agency was sketchy.

4. laserjobs says:

Sending you kid to college for an arts degree is basically throwing your money away. Business, science and engineering still have good value. The money would be better spent on learning what your child excels at and pay for speciallized programs to make them an expert. With globalization, college is far to overpriced based on the return on investment.

• TPK says:

@laserjobs:

The irony of making a simple English mistake in your post berating English majors (among others) is not without much humor!

• laserjobs says:

@TPK: Oh noes, the mighty English major that works at Starbucks just punk’d me.

• OMG! Ponies! says:

@TPK: And calling people out for typos is about as inane a comment as one can find.

Liberal arts degrees are, in my estimation, one of the biggest scam jobs. A college degree is not an iPod or a shiny car or a fancy dress; it is an investment in one’s future. Getting a degree in acting or philosophy or photography (or other such nonsense) is akin to spending $200,000 on scratch tickets.

There are fewer bigger wastes of money than financing an 18 year-olds quest to get a Bachelor of Arts in Drama. It is utterly useless, confers no real skills, has little chance of actually being employed in a successful acting career, and often costs more than a house. The “Gift of College” should come with strings attached…

…like not being squandered on a frivolous liberal arts degree.

TPK: What exactly is your position on whether a liberal arts degree has any real value in a global economy?

• onesong says:

@laserjobs: i’m sorry, but you’re wrong. i have two liberal arts majors from the university of connecticut (english and women’s studies) and i make nearly 100k/year 3 years out of college.

• ELC says:

@laserjobs: For most all degrees, you are right on the money. The money spent on college, which most rack up as debt, takes a LONG time to pay off with most of the jobs people can get on those same degrees. Mine was in engineering – job and money right out of the gate. And not debt to start with – thanks mom and dad.

5. Nick1693 says:

Two websites are making saving for college almost as easy as using PayPal.

Because that’s so easy…

6. OMG! Ponies! says:

This assumes that a college degree is something of value. A degree gets you an office job. And in 20 years, the job will be overseas.

Save your money. Send your kid to a technical school to become an electrician. At the end of the day, someone physically needs to be present to rewire a house. You get the same salary with more job security.

Only idiots think that a job should be “prestigious”.

7. A-Consumer-Advocate says:

@laserjobs:

How short-sighted that you view a college education as simply a dollars and cents investment!

Never mind the fact that numerous studies confirm that a college education is a good investment. For the sake of argument, I’ll accept your theory that it is not worth the money strictly as an “investment.”

But what about the value of studying english, history, psychology, math, science, journalism and so on? Is it not useful to develop your mind and increase your capacities of rationality and reason?

Nothing against electricians and plumbers, because they provide a valuable service and will always be needed, but discouraging people from going to college because its a bad investment? Seriously? Come on! Other than those running their own business, how many people do you know that make over $100k a year that didn’t go to college?

I’m sure glad that my parents didn’t subscribe to your brand of *wisdom.*

• OMG! Ponies! says:

@A-Consumer-Advocate: Education as a mode of intellectual enlightenment? If it’s just for intellectual enrichment, why pay? Why not audit? Why not choose a local community college?

It’s not the educational experience one pays for nowadays; it’s the amenities. Would you take out a loan to rent an apartment with cable and internet? Would you spend $20 a day for three squares of cafeteria food?

8. A-Consumer-Advocate says:

When I was in college, taking my useless classes, I learned quite a lot. Like about logical fallacies, for example. Here, you’ve used dubious reasoning to suggest that the ONLY reason that a person goes to college is for intellectual enlightenment. However, if you re-read my post, you’ll notice that I never claimed intellectual enlightenment is the sole reason to go to college. I would agree that one could likely obtain a similar form of education by auditing classes and going to the library.

However, as anyone who has ever gone to college knows, there are scores of other benefits to a college education, such as:

*Networking with professors, students, and other members of the community.
    *Being challenged and receiving graded feedback in math, science, writing, history, etc.
    *Being given an opportunity to postpone a career choice until the early twenties, instead of as a teenager.
    *Receiving the credibility that one receives with having a college degree (even if it isn’t as much credibility as it was 40 years ago.)
    *Having a chance to study a variety of subjects in order to determine what subjects and/or possible careers one likes best, before getting bogged down in the typical trappings of adulthood.

• OMG! Ponies! says:

@A-Consumer-Advocate:

None of your reasons justify a $250,000 price tag. They do raise troubling questions that tomorrow’s college students should consider before moving into the Debt House.

Networking with professors, students, and other members of the community

This can be done at a community college, less expensive state schools or through volunteering. Paying $50,000 per year for this service is foolish.

Grade inflation at major universities has diminished the value of this. Again, smaller less “prestigious” schools may be better on this front.

Why not go straight into the workforce then? It doesn’t necessarily have to be your career of choice. Why not build up a resume out of high school and gain income instead of outlaying $50,000 per year for the privilege of not working? Many construction and even office positions are still open to those without a degree from a major university. And obtaining a job upon leaving high school shows dedication, hard work, independence and responsibility – all traits that future employers look for and value.

Credibility from whom? Again, we are back at the office job conundrum. If I’m an employer, why should I pay an American to do data entry when I can sent the job overseas to be done cheaper and better? Spending thousands of dollars on a degree you won’t use to be financed with loans you can’t escape from is shortsighted in the global economy. Office jobs are a dangerous thing and can be sent away like so much factory machinery. Additionally, more often than not, the college degree is not used in any way connected with one’s profession.

That’s an expensive tasting menu. What you’re describing is auditing – and you should have to pay to audit.

Universities exist not to educate but to make money. Given the trend of universities to invest the endowment in hedge funds, wouldn’t the student body be better served if the returns from the investment of the endowment were spent on tuition cuts?

Wouldn’t the economy as a whole be better if millions of Americans weren’t saddled with thousands of dollars of debt from which there is no escape?

• badhatharry says:

@OMG! Ponies!: I have a BFA in theater, and I disagree with your sweeping comment that a degree in drama is useless. I learned an enormous amount about my craft that would not have been achieved through the CC route or through auditing. True, I could have audited the classes, but one of my requirements was to work on at least one show each semester (they assigned one to me, and there were plenty of independent productions to work on, as well as art installations, and film projects). I would not have been able to apply the textbook aspect of my education in the field were it not for the productions. True, I could find some sort of internship or apprenticeship, but that would not afford me the ability to fail in my designs that the none-of-this-matters atmosphere that college provided.

It also provided me with contacts that helped me actually make a career in sound design. You live in NY, no? How many people do you know that are trying to find work in theater? Actors don’t count. There are a billion of them. I jumped past the foot-in-the-door phase because I was able to work on a lot of high profile west coast productions while still in school. That would be almost impossible to do without college. Unless I got lucky and landed a tiny Off-Broadway production that hits it big like Avenue Q, I’d still be a guy in his early thirties working in 99 seaters.

Sorry, this is kind of rambling and unfocused. I’m watching the Belgian Grand Prix while I type this, and Kimi Raikkonen is finally kicking ass.

• badhatharry says:

@OMG! Ponies!: I do agree with the endowment being credited towards tuition. Harvard College is circa 30K/yr and their endowment is over 35 billion. Even with the tanking dollar that is worth at least 10 pounds.

9. A-Consumer-Advocate says:

$250,000 for an undergraduate degree?

See what happens when you skip all those college math classes? Virtually no one graduates undergrad with that kind of debt. The average is more in the neighborhood of about $40,000. Hardly crushing debt.

Networking at a community college? Building a resume doing construction work at the age of 18?

I don’t know what you have against college students, or where you get the idea that all of the “college type jobs” are going overseas. I’d like to see some data that suggests this. I don’t know of a single person that went to college with me that’s making less than $50k a year. Most are making far more. And none of them have been in jeopardy of losing their jobs overseas. Despite a tough economy, they are doing well, making more each year, and steadily moving up the ladder at their “office jobs.”

College isn’t for everyone. Clearly it wasn’t for you. But an awful lot of people are far better off because they got a degree. The point of this article was simply about ways to help people save money for a degree. Its sad that you’re so blinded by your own flawed ideology that you wish to try to stop people from saving for college. But you know what they say, ignorance is bliss, right?

*Graduated with in LL.M. in 7 years with $50,000 of debt.
    *Doesn’t regret it for a second.

• ELC says:

@A-Consumer-Advocate: That is pretty crushing debt when most liberal arts majors can’t get a job making $40K a year (before taxes). My wife had about $18K in debt when we married and the rate she has to pay on it makes it extend about 15 years. But I’m about to wipe that out with profit from some real estate sales – I HATE sending that stupid check out each month.

10. TPK says:

Ha ha, I am neither an English major, nor an habitual typo nit-picker… I simply couldn’t pass up on the irony… :D

11. OMG! Ponies! says:

According to US News and World Report, as of 2006, the average cost of a year at a private university was $33,000, with an average of 6% increase in cost per year. Just using straight arithmetic, that’s $140,000 for a Bachelor’s Degree. That is how much it costs now. Using US News’ projection of 6% increase, today’s infants will be looking at $50,000 per year for college.

Where else is my $250,000 from? My alma mater NYU – that’s where. Not an Ivy League school, not a Top 20 school. And it costs $50,000 for the freshman year. That is how much it costs now. When I graduated 12 years ago, it cost half that much. In 12 years, the cost went up by $25,000.

Harry, I congratulate you. My BFA in Film from NYU has been largely useless as far as getting me into film. While I learned how to write films, it was not worth the $100,000. I never got an agent because none of them were interested in buying my scripts. After about two years, I had to give up and opted for law school.

Right now, our economy is in a dangerous state of flux. The sub-prime fiasco caused the credit markets to batten down the hatches. Private lenders are being far less generous with the “financial aid” that they are loaning to students and parents.

This brings me to another point – “financial aid”, who’s sweeping definition often encompasses student loans – loans which cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. You can thank the Baby Boomers for that.

I have nothing against college. I have something against a lot of the propaganda that’s out there. The notion that a college degree should let one explore one’s dreams is fiscally irresponsible. It is an investment and should be approached as one.

Universities are money-making machines. That they confer a degree on a person is ancillary to their purpose to generate revenue. I suggest “Branded Nation” by James Twitchell for more on this.

“College isn’t for everyone”? But who is it for? Why precisely is a degree necessary for many of the lower white-collar jobs? What we have is a nuclear proliferation mentality towards a college degree. “So-and-so has a B.A. so I’d better get one too.”

You must realize that the laws of supply and demand apply to college degrees as well. They also apply to law degrees – perhaps the least useful degree after a Ph.D. in philosophy.

If your child says s/he wants to go to college to study X, ask why. Ask what s/he expects to achieve with that degree. Ask where s/he expects to work with that degree. You are giving your child thousands of dollars to invest; s/he should invest it wisely.

Why does off-shoring scare me? Because if your job can be done via telecommuting, it can be done from overseas. Customer care is overseas. Even your local drive-thru may be performed elsewhere. Thanks to cheap drive storage, cheap scanning, effective OCR, and fiber-optics, if your job only involves keystrokes on a computer, it can be off-shored.

And finally, NEVER think that construction is a bad job. A journeyman ironworker makes about $30 an hour as a base rate of pay. There’s OT after 8 hours a shift and after 40 per week. There’s often doubletime on weekends and holidays. There’s pension, full medical benefits (not just major) with dental and optical, and worker protection that is rare in the white collar world.

• I guess it’s the old Jeffersonian in me who just won’t die, but I can’t help but think that it’s a public good to have a vested interest in making sure that a nation’s citizenry is educated.

Which brings us to an interesting recent development: why is college an “investment”? There are two tracks that need to be addressed I think. First, if the state has a vested interest in educating its citizenry, why the hell should those getting it have to pay for it? Shouldn’t the state? The state shouldn’t pay for it if it doesn’t care if it has an educated citizenry, and this does seem where it’s going. Some might say hey, it’s up to the individual institution to give the right services to the right customers at the right price point. Addressing this is the second track: the neoliberalization of education. Pedagogy is not a market; education is not laissez-faire. The value in education is supposed to be education, right? Why not just scrap the K-12 system altogether and start training children who know they can’t afford to get educated after 4th grade? Because of course that’s what used to happen and that’s unpalatable to a lot of people.

So we have this paradox; we value education, but in theory only. We don’t want to have to shoulder its collective burden, but we don’t want to leave it entirely up to the market either.

I’m sorry if I’ve gone off topic, but because every figure ever introduced demonstrates that those with a bachelor’s degree make more money than those who don’t (Selingo 2008, Chronicle of Higher Ed.) so that’s not really an argument. The argument should more fruitfully be about why this new neoliberal education, the financialization of the academy, is taking place.

That said, many points are worth stressing: there’s nothing wrong with CCs, nothing wrong with a blue collar job, and at the end of the day, we try to do what’s best for us.

@OMG! Ponies!: PhDs in Philosophy (kinda redundant, when you think about it :) ) often go on to have extremely varied, interesting, fruitful, and enriching jobs, financially and otherwise. Look it up!

• OMG! Ponies! says:

@Excited_Utterance: Indeed. My two cousins with Ph.Ds in Philosophy are leading varied and interesting and fruitful lives on the parental dole.

• ELC says:

@Excited_Utterance: Without getting too detailed here, I have to add something about this: “I guess it’s the old Jeffersonian in me who just won’t die, but I can’t help but think that it’s a public good to have a vested interest in making sure that a nation’s citizenry is educated.”

I agree that is a good thing, but in case you haven’t followed the news in recent years, that’s one of the things missing in higher education today – especially the “ivy league” schools. There is a lot of indoctrination going on in most liberal arts degrees and most colleges. About the only types of degrees you can avoid that mess is in the useful ones – technical (engineering, mathematics, etc). People don’t leave knowing how to logically think, they leave thinking what their “high and mighty, oh-so-wise” professors tell them to think.

Thankfully I avoided that in my engineering courses, but I did get it rammed at me when I took English and history. Very irritating.

• @ELC: Wait, what? Are you saying there’s indoctrination going on instead of education? Kind of a fine line, huh? I don’t want to get too radical in pedagogy here, but couldn’t it be corporate sponsored university research parks that are trying to indoctrinate? Schools of business accepting multi-million dollar donations from corporations for lecture series; is this another attempt to indoctrinate? Oh no, it’s the professor. Of course. Yawn. Isn’t this yarn done being spun?

I do follow the news – hey, it’s a political scientist’s job! I’ve never seen any credible information about indoctrination. Such a boring, old, tired, and untrue story.

Bottom line; college, if that’s what you want to do, is worth it. You just gotta swing it. These funds can help that out a great deal.

• badhatharry says:

@OMG! Ponies!: I had no idea you had a degree in film. I was considering NYU, but in the end, CalArts gave me more money. It also had a sound design program whereas NYU just had a catch-all theater program. In all fairness, a great deal of people are trying to get into film, while no one is really making a bee-line towards theater. At least not the below-the-line jobs. And while there are more applicants than jobs in the sound design field, it is not a herculean task to find work. I am genuinely sorry (and not in a patronizing, condescending way) that you weren’t able to find work in film. I have seen many friends go that route. Not to law school, their casual relationship with clothing and hygiene would have made that difficult, but to amass this wealth of knowledge and then have it go unused after graduation must be maddening. I would very well have been in that same position, had it not been for the fact that the head of my program was the resident designer for the Music Center in Los Angeles and hired me to work on many shows there, and then hire me for a few touring productions.

I’m sorry. This does sound patronizing, but please understand that I do not mean it in that way whatsoever. My father would love for me to be a lawyer. Then he would understand what I do for a living. It’s just one of those “there but for the grace of G-d go I” things.

• OMG! Ponies! says:

@badhatharry: The law is a very bad place right now. Here’s the short version:

If you’re going to law school, apply only to top tier schools. There is no such thing as a second-tier safety school as your chances of decent financial compensation after graduating from a second-tier are low. The business is going through a radical shift of how firms are paid which, in turn, has stagnated wages in major metropolitan markets.

Bottom line – the average starting salary for an attorney in NYC is $50,000, with benefits as subsidized (employee pays a lower rate). With that rate of pay, 34% will be taken for taxes. Without consolidation of federal loans, expect loan payments of $1,000 per month. You have about $3,000 per month. One third will go to loans.

The rent will be about $1,000 (conservative if you live in a studio). You now have $1,000 left. Your Metrocard is $82 per month. $900. You’re still naked and in the dark and uninsured and hungry and have no phone or internet. $20 per day for food is $600, leaving you with $300. Electricity is $50 per month. $250. You’re naked and uninsured and have no phone or internet. Cell phone is $50. $200 and you’re naked and uninsured and have no internet. Internet is $50. $150 per month to spare and you’re still uninsured.

Did I mention that you still haven’t bought any furniture or paid your credit cards or done your laundry?

• badhatharry says:

@OMG! Ponies!: Yeah, I’m not going to law school. I’m doing just fine in my current occupation. I had around $20,000 in student loans (the cost of one year at my school), and was able to get on a tour that got me into IATSE, paid well above scale, and had a lot of overtime. We worked 7 days a week, and the 7th day was all overtime. Plus, I lived off the per diem and was able to bank my check. I was able to pay the rest of the loan off in six months.

My father went to law school (Harvard), and then became a public defender in Bakersfield, CA. The financial aid people saw “attorney,” but also saw “unemployed” for my mother. I got a bit of financial aid. My father, while pulling in six figures after having worked for the county for 20 years, was not making Harvard lawyer money (perspective – he graduated with Dukakis, and was roommates with Nader for a semester). I was able to qualify for grants and stafford loans because of my mother. I don’t feel my father is any kind of failure for becoming a public defender after law school, on the contrary, I find it noble. Like a life of charity work. I admire him for his choice. He would just like for me to be a lawyer because that’s what he did, although a bit less than in the past. CA has a huge glut of lawyers lately.

• TGT says:

@OMG! Ponies!: Who pays full price to go to a private school? Only rich people. If you can’t afford full price for NYU and you get admitted, you should be able to get grants and small scholarships for half the cost. If you can’t, you should go elsewhere.

You’re saying college is not worth the money, but you assume that everyone saving for college is going to expensive private schools. Saving for a 10K a year state school is smarter than not saving for a 10K a year state school. I’d rather have savings to cover college than come out in debt. If you were saying a private school BA is a stupid idea for a lower middle class person, I’d agree with you, but without people getting BAs, we’d be out of teachers really quick.

@ELC: Indoctrination? I didn’t notice any of that, but maybe that’s because nearly all my soft classes were in Philosophy. All BAs used to come with a heavy dose of Philsophy, and I think that’s one requirement that should be brought back. The average business student or artist could definitely use intro to critical thinking and intro to ethics classes.

• OMG! Ponies! says:

@TGT: Not so. Aid is often given on a needs basis. Moreover, as stated, student loans are classified as “financial aid”. Who pays full price for private university? A lot of people.

According to Education Finance Partners, a private student loan company based in San Francisco, on average, 35 percent of the average student tuition comes from federal loans, 25 percent from grants and scholarships, and 20 percent from working.

Additionally, the rules of the loan game are changing from a decade ago. Interest rates are increasing and the approval rates are sharply declining. Many lenders now require a cosigner (Mom and Dad for private loans. These loans do not have the benefits of Stafford and PLUS loans (like interest abatement while in school).

In the past, students had access to a credit-ready private loan program (no cosigner required, zero credit is considered good credit). Funding levels for that program are down. Many students do not meet the credit/income requirements for many private loans, and they may not have an able or willing cosigner.

Almost all private loan lenders have changed their borrower benefits, including credit acceptance policies, and/or their interest rate options. That is the way that the game has changed. And for many in the middle class, loans are a necessary evil.

My father is neurosurgeon who was crowded out of the market and drowning in med-mal insurance premiums; my mother is a criminal defense attorney. The financial aid people saw “neurosurgeon” for father’s occupation and “attorney” for mother’s occupation. They didn’t see that my father’s accountant burned him by not paying the premiums or taxes – leaving him to privately pay the costs of a med-mal suit. They didn’t see the IRS garnished the accounts on his business. They didn’t see that he was behind on child support.

They saw “neurosurgeon” and “attorney”.

What I’m saying is that parents should not freely finance their child’s “dreams”. It is an investment of money and a taking on of debt which cannot be discharged. It should be approached with caution and responsibility. A degree should be related to one’s occupation.

12. Overheal says:

Believe me, when you reach college age and your bonds amount to less than $200, you wonder wtf your granny was doing all these years mailing you empty birthday card.

This can only be a good thing.

13. katieoh says:

i’m currently living in new york and going after a bfa in writing. i would probably shoot myself if i had to go into a field i didn’t absolutely love. my father tried to get me to go into engineering, law, anything but what i wanted to do. were art schools and the like not an option, we’d have a lot of depressed adults walking around. sure, i may not get a job right out of college, but if i write the next ‘to kill a mockingbird,’ who’s to tell me that my education was useless?

also, it’s worth noting that, uh, were it not for english majors, the consumerist/gawker probably wouldn’t EXIST.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@katieoh: Hear hear! I got a BS in journalism and it’s been a great decision. Do I ever regret it? Sometimes when times are tough and I see friends doing better at other things…but I realize then that just because some people are doing better, it doesn’t mean that I could do the same thing as well. It’s not just about picking something that you’ll make money with when you leave college – it’s about finding something you actually enjoy doing. You can’t force yourself to love your career path. And I’m of the mind that if you don’t love it, you’ll never succeed in it.

14. trinidon2k says:

Can we get back to the topic of 529′s and stop talking about whether or not college is worth the price?

15. quail says:

A little bit more on topic… When our boy was born I told people to spend their gift dollars on US Savings Bonds and not on toys. (How many onsies and freakin’ stuffed toys are needed anyway?)

Series EE bonds are not glamorous and after 2005 they are being paid out differently. But we got ours starting in 1997 and the investment wasn’t that bad. In 17 years the boy will have a couple of grand to help with school, get an apartment, buy a used car, etc. With today’s structure of EE bonds I think it takes 20 years to see the bond equal its face value.

I’ll repeat, they aren’t glamorous but they’re easy enough for relatives to buy at the bank. Just make sure that they put the parent’s name on the bond as well. Just talk to the banker about the best way to set up the bond.

As far as higher education goes we’re thinking of moving to Georgia or somewhere else where academic excellence gets rewarded. (see [www.gacollege411.org]) And pushing our son like hell for good grades.

16. mesamunefire says:

look. degrees are all GOOD things to get. Why? becasue, wether they make you alot of money r not, you are training for something that you like. The purpose of college is not just training for the workplace but also for….higher learning. Lets say, for example, you were a maintanace guy for about 10 years. You get good salery but you want ot go into enenerring. College lets people do what they couldnt do normally.

any as for the costs, stop looking at statistics. sorry but it had to be said. Money, in itself, is relative. $20,000 in wyoming is alot more than $20,000 in california.

and these astronomical costs that you are quoting….i dont see where this is going. Sure there are schools that are high in fees and $$$ but there are a tun more that have good prices.

BTW I am going to college so i know at least this much. I have worked and know that side of the spectrum.

And to stay on topic, its always good to see funds being made for people to take advantege of.

17. mesamunefire says:

wow sorry about the spelling. I typed really fast and i thought there was an edit button…..lol

18. gibbergabber says:

$200,00 for an undergraduate degree is fairly accurate. We just sent a youngun off to shool to the tune of $40,000 a year. When we looked at the schools listed in her graduation program and the related costs, her’s was among the cheapest. Education costs. I need to check out UPromise for my nephews and nieces. They’re going to need about $500,000 by the time they’re ready for school.

19. quest1962 says:

College is not only an education in the area one chooses to make a life’s work out of, whatever that may be.

It is the fine tuning and training of a person. The skills that are learned and employed in college are not the same as in high school, and are much closer to real world applications. The organizational and social skills are an enormous part of the system, no matter where you go. The training to become an (insert career listing here) is just a bonus.

Many people choose one area on their way to college, then turn left, right or around to a different one. The journey is part of the college concept, and a highly valuable one at that.

PS I am a blue-ish collar worker who has only a mild association with formal college. I’d be a better adult if I had gone to school when it was offered to me. My kids taught me that, as I was trying to help them on THEIR journeys.