This Frosty Must Be Delicious

Consumerist reader David saw this awesome special in his local Wendy’s restaurant. We wonder what kind of special magic goes into a Frosty to warrant a $5.99 price increase. Bacon grease? Extra HFCS? A no-spit guarantee? A short song and dance from the cashier? Or maybe they spend the extra money on “how to label signs properly” classes for the staff.

Comments

1. sir_pantsalot says:

It is not like they tried to actually charge 5.99 more for the shake. Just a mix up on the sign. When crap like this gets posted it really dilutes the site. If it was a mix up that happened to be funny and gets posted due to humor then that is different.

2. eakwave1 says:

To Whitefang: Wow, who peed in your Cornflakes? If you don’t like it, go somewhere else. Or, recognize that it probably happens because this awesome site works hard to get content out quickly. It’s called being human.

And as for the $5.99 thing, it’s one big glaring mistake and should not have happened. In addition, while these people are human too and we don’t like that mistake, we recognize that it’s crappy and give them the opportunity to fix it and apologize.

Ok I feel better now. Carry on…

3. Amelia Subverxin says:

I’m not so sure that this was an “error.” I was a big fan of Wendy’s for years, but then one day the employees at the drive thru put a tip jar at the window. I started noticing that if you didn’t give them a tip, you didn’t get your complete order or your food was cold.

4. whitefang2000 says:

knd f hypcrtcl cnsdrng hw mny spllng nd grmmr rrrs thr r n ths st.

5. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Obviously the burger jockeys who stuck the adhesive numbers on the sign can’t read or comprehend sentences.

6. blainer says:

I would easily pay an extra $5.99 for a bacon frosty.

7. wiggatron says:

“Big glaring mistake”? Hardly. Minor boo-boo at best.

8. dripdrop says:

Sorry to threadjack, but it came up conversation the other day that I like to dip my fries in my (chocolate) Frosty and my boyfriend thought this was like the weirdest thing ever. I know I’m not the only one who does this, right?

• sir_pantsalot says:

@dripdrop: I don’t but I know people who do. Sweet and salty is a good combo. Personal favorite is a hand full of buttery popcorn and some peanut M&M’s.

• stillkarenann says:

@dripdrop: I’ve actually seen quite a few people do this in my time. Also with McDonald’s shakes. Despite this, I agree with your boyfriend that it is like the wierdest thing ever.

• Gopher bond says:

@stillkarenann: But you do know that if you dip fried potatoes into the Shamrock Shake you instantly turn into a Leprechaun. So, stay away from Mickey D’s around the Ides lest you be tempted.

• am84 says:

@dripdrop: No, I do it, too. My boyfriend also thinks it’s gross. Little do they know how delicious it is! :)

• B says:

@dripdrop: My boss does this too, which doesn’t mean you’re not a wierdo. He’s kind of a strange guy. However, chocolate + fat + salt = awesome, so I heartily approve this concept.

• JulesNoctambule says:

@dripdrop: Fries in the Frosty! I love it! Chocolate shakes are my favourite condiment for french fries.

My friend and I went to Cookout yesterday, which has the most cracktastic fries and shakes in the state, and I talked her into dipping a fry into the chocolate malt shake. She said it was much tastier than it looked.

• dorastandpipe says:

@dripdrop:

You are so not the only one…best lunch ever!

• aerick79 says:

@dripdrop: its really good. I take it to a new level. i dip my chix nuggets in the frosty too. mmmmmm ^100

• Snowlovers says:

@dripdrop: I’ve been dipping my fries into my shake since I was little. I’ve been told many times that I’m weird for doing it – but it does taste good – and I’ve got my kids doing it now too!

Also, I think someone here with more programming ability then I needs to create something like a greasemonkey script to “reemvowel” the disemvowled comments :-)

9. whitefang2000 says:

To Eaks: And the Wendy’s people are human too. Recognize that it probably happens because it takes hard work to make awesome cheeseburgers.

• sir_pantsalot says:

@whitefang2000: Wendys has never messed up my order. They can have every sign in the store incorrect for all I care but I will go postal if there is any mayo on my spicy chicken sandwich.

10. snoop-blog says:

I think it’s because they also mix the baconator in with the frosty, so yeah it’s priced about right.

11. pb5000 says:

I drove thru Wendy’s on Saturday for a frosty, small frosty off the super value menu – $1.29, frosty shake – $3.49. It was an easy decision.

12. eakwave1 says:

Oops, was I not clear? Yes, I meant that the Wendy’s people are human too, and working in the fast food industry is not easy. I don’t know if you’re being facetious…

As for “glaring mistake”, I suppose I had one too many cups of coffee. :)

13. whitefang2000 says:

@notorious…umm this post is all about being a grammar cop toward Wendy’s. Irony is delicious.

14. DashTheHand says:

Its because Wendy’s now serves all Frosty’s in replica Holy Grails.

15. rpm773 says:

These Frosty Shakes have put Wendy’s back into the high stakes fastfood ice cream game, after it had been wondering a veritable dessert wilderness for years with the unwieldy original Frosty.

16. Anonymously says:

To paraphrase Pulp Fiction “They don’t put bourbon in it or nothin’?”

17. snoop-blog says:

I like variety so I switch up fast food joints for lunch. Ironically I order the same thing from these places. As soon as you tell me where were eating at, I already know what I want.

18. cpt.snerd says:

May I please have an extra serving of song and dance with that?

Oh – and I had no idea that posts as grammar/spelling cops get such lovely treatment. Makes me like this site more… score!

19. ceriphim says:

Maybe they put Kobe beef into the frosty? Like like how they make a hotdog with Kobe beef in it at the mall, and it costs 10 dollars extra.

If so that’s a good deal.

20. lalaland13 says:

I went to Wendy’s today, and while they got the “1.50” in there instead of 5.99, what worried me was another sign promoting the shakes that said “First you’ll tremble. Then you’ll shake.” Why? Is the shake giving you diabetes? Because that was what crossed my mind.

21. audiochick says:

I also dip my fries in my chocolate frosty. It is a delicious taste sensation, especially if the fries are good and salty!

22. gmss0205 says:

gn, HG nws n ths st!!! Smn t Wndy’s pt th wrng prc n sgn. lrt th md!!!!!

23. PinkBox says:

Now I REALLY want a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy’s. I shall have one tomorrow for lunch.

24. tmed says:

Are there any males of the species out there who use a chocolate Frosty as dip for salt sticks?

Funny error. Thanks for reporting this, consumerist. it brought a small smile to my face. Naturally, I also appreciate the more weighty articles as well, but this was a small quiet diversion that offered some small amusement.

Additionally, thanks to all of the posters who take themselves, and the site, too seriously to believe that this was an attempt at anything more thatn a quiet diversion. Those posts added to the comedy beautifully.

25. macinjosh says:

i dunno if it’s worth $6 but it’s pretty fuggin’ good! (thanks Greg P)

26. SOhp101 says:

This is off topic and perhaps will cause me to be disemvowelled, but I find these “off color” posts to be a lot more interesting than the interesting ones. Sort of like a mystery… now what was he REALLY trying to say? Try to time yourself and compare with friends!

On a more related note, there’s this really funny sign at my gym that is referring to a lost pair of eyeglasses, but in the part where they’re trying to describe the item they labeled it as “LOSER,” and the part referring to the person who found them as “FINDER.”

27. creamsissle says:

Maybe you get to keep the souvenir glass?

28. TVGenius says:

Our local Burger King shows that a Cheeseburger is almost $4, and a double is $4.39. Not a meal, mind you, just the sandwich, according to the menu.

29. Moosehawk says:

Well you know, that hand-spinning frosty machine in the back IS pretty good at it’s job.

30. jbohanon says:

I think you’re all missing what they’re selling. Perhaps they take another bacon cheeseburger, put it into the shake machine and you get a bacon-and-burger-flavored frosty.

31. BrianDaBrain says:

Well, Wendy’s is trying to recreate themselves as the “not fast food” fast food chain, and what better way to do that than to make things super-expensive. Then they can say that they are more, I don’t know, fancy than the competition.

32. darundal says:

Wow, that is insane. Somebody probably made the change near the end of their shift at closing.

And you can add me to the ranks of those who dip their fries in their shakes.

33. mari2314 says:

hahaha, all i have to say is the manager that set up the menuboard display is an idiot lol.