Qwest Does Away With Support Via Email

Update: Qwest has updated their contact page to provide (slightly) more information.

Justin tried to contact Qwest last week to resolve a problem with their service. He clicked the “E-mail Us” link under “Residential” and a window popped up with the following message:

Your questions and concerns are very important to us, however we are no longer able to respond to email. Please consider the other contact options available.

The “Small Business” email option has been disabled, too.

Justin points out,

Email is an amazing tool for communicating complex technical problems. My intention was to email them a screenshot, which clearly shows the problem. Explaining this issue over the phone would be nearly impossible.

Email is also useful for contacting customer support when you don’t have a lot of time to sit around waiting to be told how Very Important you are to the company. Apparently, however, it’s too old fashioned for Qwest to deal with.

Remember, if you’ve tried to resolve a problem with your Qwest account and haven’t had any luck, you can always try one of the people listed in their corporate directory.

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. timmus says:

Wow. The contradiction in this sentence… take it away, it’s burning my eyes!

• BrianDaBrain says:

@timmus: I was going to say the same thing. It should read something along the lines of:

“We like to tell you that your questions and comments are very important to us, but, in reality, they cost us money, so we find a sick joy in eliminating the ways by which you can communicate them to us. Because we are feeling particularly evil today, we have done away with our email support. Your only other option is to call us at the number printed in microscopic text on your bill. After a discouragingly long period of listening to our terrible hold music, one of our friendly Customer Control Representatives will tell you that you actually have no problems with our service. Thank you for your money.”

2. nicemarmot617 says:

Totally typical. I dealt with them for a total of 3 months one summer living in rural Wyoming and I am so very, very glad that I am on the east coast and can pretend they don’t even exist. Qwest is the WORST. All y’all Comcast customers don’t know how good you got it!

3. describe_one says:

Companies hate email where they have to provide service. Why? It gives unparalled, time-stamped proof that they don’t care about your issues.

They often don’t answer back within the promised time (or count the auto reply as an actual reply), they don’t usually answer your question correctly the first time, and in some cases make you start a whole new request to get the same question answered correctly.

4. schiff says:

We used Qwest as our ISP here in NYC until they pulled out of the east coast. We had more downtime than uptime. Repairs usually took more than a week. On average 5 days before a technician was even sent out to investigate the problem. Then then the problem could take 3 days to actually fix. This was on a Business Class RADSL connection. In my experience Qwest technical support is among the worst of the major telecoms.

5. Zephyr7 says:

That’s a shame because they have some of the slowest phone customer service ever. Get ready to waste significant portions of your life on the phone with Qwest rep.

6. floraposte says:

“To us, customers are gods. We’re not worthy of reading their emails.”

7. madanthony says:

I work in tech support, and we have a generic email account that our helpdesk people check. When I did helpdesk, it was one of my responsibilities.

I found it to be a rather bad way to provide support. It’s fine if you have a basic request or know what you are doing, but many people would not supply needed info, or would have problems where additional info would be helpful. (Some people would do the opposite and provide info we didn’t need or want, like their social security number). With phone support, you can often walk a person through something or ask them a question and get an instant answer, while email means having to ask, wait for them to respond, and ends up taking longer and being more frustrating.

8. algormortis says:

i sound like a broken record, but if you have DSL and you can, move to Speakeasy.

yes, it costs a little more.
    however, my service is bulletproof, the support is cheerful and quick via phone or e-mail 24/7, and they don’t punt on things unless it’s *really* not their fault.

also they laughed at us when we asked about a cap on ourservice. “as much as you can download with your speed, that’s your cap.”

9. dantsea says:

First, this is Qwest we’re talking about. Any email support you would have received would have been a regurgitation of the FAQ you already read that didn’t address the issue.

Last, call center management everywhere are typically dinosaurs who don’t understand (or don’t want to understand) how to measure performance outside of a phone call. I’d wager this is the reason it was discontinued. I’m not saying that they CAN’T measure it, just that TPTB don’t want to spend the time or money needed to do so.

10. Hidin says:

Gah, Qwest is the worst. Both my late husband and my dad worked for them-they don’t care about their employees, let alone their customers. Before my husband passed away we had already decided we were going to dump them for all their services(and this was even considering his “employee discount” for using them) and go to a real company.
    No one should be surprised that they are cutting out a customer service of any kind.

11. Dyscord says:

This is almost a blessing in disquise. Do you really want some automated machine giving you canned responses and NO help whatsoever?

• Sian says:

@Dyscord: Insteaad, you’ll get some overworked rep in India giving you canned responses and no help whatsoever under a barely-intelligible accent.

12. samson says:

I was going to post some witty banter but this post is so damn on the money I could cry.
    I really believe that actual authentic communication with customers cements loyalty. Most people just want a human to fix a problem. As a phone rep when I actually fix problems my average handle time goes up and my QA score comes down because I get nailed on saying thier name a certain number of times and asking obvious tedious groan inducing questions. Also I don’t have the power to call the customer obviously retarded/drunk/high or so outraged they can’t think straight. Why do I have to talk someone down when I don’t have the authority to fix thier problem.

13. Ben Popken says:

Any technological company that has said “we give up!” to email shouldn’t be allowed to live long.

• blackmage439 says:

@Ben Popken: I second that.

I wonder what these other contact options are? The laughably awful chatbotz? A rotary phone. Ooops, wait. Scratch that last one. I forgot you can’t use a rotary with a phonetreebot.

I once worked on a community college’s email support help desk. I loved getting emails waaaay better than phone calls. 90% of my correspondence was resetting people’s passwords, or relaying FAQ information. Regardless, most of those cases merely required the sending of a form letter.

14. Tyr_Anasazi says:

While email can take longer to respond to, and you do have to sift through a great deal of chaff when responding to emails, you need an email team when providing support in today’s marketplace–it’s just that simple…