FreeTripleScore.com Will Cost You $30 Per Month

The rip-off site “freecreditreport.com” has a new competitor, and it’s running fear-mongering spots on the “we’ll air any commercial” cable nets (by which we mean G4). Freetriplescore.com warns you that your credit score can keep you from getting a job! But they’ll give you you “free” scores from the big three credit reporting agencies if you sign up for their $30 per month membership plan. Remember, the only “free” credit report website you should ever use is AnnualCreditReport.com. For free credit scores, on the other hand, check out Ben’s post.

Comments

1. quirkyrachel says:

Oddly enough, in Illinois the ads on TV are for that site, and the people are saying how wonderful freetriplescore.com is, but across the bottom of the screen it says freetriplescore12.com. They’re the same site.

2. sleepydumbdude says:

Sucks, question though. Transunion won’t give me mine from annual credit report because it says I have a login but I have no idea what it was. Don’t really feel like calling them about it.

Anyways if I was to pay a site to get mine which site should I use if I just want to view my three reports then cancel after printing?

• cuddles71 says:

@sleepydumbdude: Strangely enough, I just got mine through AnnualCreditReport.com, and had the same problem. Even though I don’t HAVE an account with them.

• Orv says:

@cuddles71: I’ve had that problem, too. Seems like a convenient way to avoid giving free credit reports away; just make people jump through extra hoops until they give up.

• humphrmi says:

@sleepydumbdude: I had this problem too, sounds like TU is trying to “oops” their way out of free credit reports.

I complained on the AnnualCreditReport.com website, and apparently they take it very seriously – got an apology e-mail from TU and my free credit report in the mail.

3. Mfalconieri says:

Why are WE paying for OUR credit scores?

• Tux the Penguin says:

@Mfalconieri: Because you’re actually paying for them to run your credit report through their formula.

Still, it sucks. There are plenty of places that you can get an estimate of your credit score for free. Or hell, simply live on less than you make and pay off all your debt.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Or hell, simply live on less than you make and pay off all your debt.
        @Tux the Penguin: That never seems to stop incorrect information from ending up in your credit report.

@Orv: One of them tells me I need to send them something like a bill to prove I’m who I say I am..

• Diet-Orange-Soda says:

@Mfalconieri: For what it’s worth, Providian (now WaMu) lets me check my credit score any time I want. (Granted, this shows up on my credit report each time and it’s only from one agency.)

4. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

I love these ads!

“I was denied a car loan because of my credit score.”
    *steps into a new car*
    “But I used FreeTripleScore.com to see my credit score!”

Wait… we’re missing a step here?!

5. They need a catchy jingle. Or a guy dressed like a pirate.

6. lalaland13 says:

My credit card company shows mine every month, which is fine by me. I want to throw things at the really bad credit report ones, like the one where the guy, as far as I can tell, gets a bad bike because of bad credit? Say what? I try to ignore them, so I may have it wrong.

And the much-maligned one where the guy is singing about how if only his wife had checked her credit first, or some nonsense? Well dude, hate to break it to you, but you’re probably heading for divorce anyway if you don’t have some basic money discussions first.

7. endless says:

I always thought that the freecreditreport ad where he was dressed as a pirate was a (not so) subtle threat of not getting a good job.

8. Dyscord says:

I REALLY hate the freecreditrepot ad with the couple getting married and they can’t get a house because SHE had bad credit. Nevermind the fact that they guy must have bad credit also.

What is up with commercials nowadays? They out and out lie and insult people. It wasn’t like that years ago.

• Egg Yolkeo says:

@Dyscord:

No, the worst part about the debt-ridden newlyweds ad is when he sings about how if he had known she was a credit risk he’d “be a happy bachelor”.

So what, you’re going to dump your dream girl because she can’t finance a car? So much for romance I guess.

• johnva says:

@Egg Yolkeo: Well…not to defend the stupid commercial, but marrying someone who is financially irresponsible is about the worst thing you can possibly do for your life.

I do feel that these “monitoring” services are being sold based on fear-mongering. I really have no need to constantly monitor my credit score…I’ll check it before I apply for a loan. I just pay all my bills on time, and voila, good credit. Identity theft is really the only possible argument for these services, and that’s sort of a problem of the credit reporting agencies own making since they haven’t tightened security measures against it. And even then I would discover it before actually applying for something that would check my credit. Get rid of universal default, and then there’s no problem if people don’t discover the ID theft right away.

• Orv says:

@johnva: Combating identity theft is a good reason to check your credit report. Checking your credit score is a lot less helpful because it is what it is; there’s not a lot you can consciously do to bring it up, at least in the short term.

• Mfalconieri says:

@Dyscord:Preach on Brother Beavis….. Totally agreed….I personally am pretty tired of commercials showing guys/men being stupid over a grill, or a sports game.

9. Snarkysnake says:

I want everyone to stop and think a minute.

Have we arrived at the point of” live by the credit score/die by the credit score” ? Have we ceded so much control of our lives that these faceless,unaccountable companies can determine whether we get a good job, a nice house/car or send our kids to decent schools (by limiting the areas that we can buy houses)? How different is this from having an overweening government that exercises similar control over our existence ?

All in all,easy credit is just pretty poison.

10. ManiacDan says:

I saw this commercial on ESPN this morning as well. I knew it was a scam right away, but I do love how they make it seem like a reality show with the street interviews.

11. Marshfield says:

Don’t waste time getting your ‘free credit reports’ online. Instead, print this form, fill it out and MAIL it in. You’ll get your 3 credit reports in the mail for free.

They MAY send you a letter with some “qualifying questions” to verify your identity, and THEN you get your reports for free.

[www.annualcreditreport.com]

You don’t get your FICO scores for free but you can always buy them. The best place to get them is

[www.myfico.com]

because not only do you get your scores, you get the “reason codes” for why your scores are the way they are.

Don’t be fooled with any other credit score from Experian , Transunion or Equifax. Those in-house scores mean nothing. If it ain’t a FICO score, it’s meaningless. Those other scores are often used as “teasers” to sign up for credit monitoring services, “get your credit score for free” but if you read the small print, it says “not a FICO score.”

12. KSPRAYDAD says:

In Canada you are allowed, by law, to get a free credit report a minimum of once per year…but the reporting agencies do not have to make it convenient…it is by snail mail. Since there are two it is recommended to get your free one every 6 mos by alternating

A credit SCORE on the other hand is proprietary and they can sell that if they wish…it is not part of your credit REPORT.

Go here to get yours free:

Warning PDF:

[www.equifax.com]

At the bottom of the form it has the contact info for both agencies.

13. dragonfire81 says:

It just drives me MAD how so many businesses will scream FREE! FREE! FREE! when things are NEVER EVER EVER FREE!

When will we learn?

14. ChelseaCosta says:

How is this not false advertising?

To say something is “free” means it’s FREE fuckers.

Get a clue.

• csyria says:

@ChelseaCosta:

Well, it IS free, from the marketer’s perspective. You get it as a “free” attachment when you sign up for their service!

At least their commercial makes that a little more obvious than FreeCreditReport.com…

15. james says:

I have always used AnnualCreditReport.com to get mine and haven’t had any problems. As there are 3 you can get your score from one of them every 4 months. The scores from agency to agency can vary 30-40 pts but you can definitely see anything unusual and fix errors.

16. blackmage439 says:

Step 1: Falsely market a paid product as free that people can already use for free, utilizing possibly hilarious, but entirely awful and fear-mongering commercials.

Step 2: ?????

Step 3: PROFIT!

17. Green Goth Brit Chick - AlternatEve says:

@Johnva – I had a nervous breakdown at 18. In the process, I trashed my credit pretty badly. I’m over that, and I’m slowly working to repair the damage I did. Should my fiance not marry me because I was once “irresponsible” with my money?

18. Haltingpoint says:

Does anybody know if this company actually provides the service they charge for, or if they are just an affiliate? There are some affiliate marketers out there making big bucks off credit score reporting and I wouldn’t be surprised if one had made enough to try some TV ads.