Yes, "Tightwad Bank" Is A Real Bank, And It's FDIC Insured

Tightwad, Missouri, population 63, doesn’t have much, but it does have a bank. A bank where the most common question people ask isn’t “Do you have free checking?” It’s: “Is this actually a real bank?” Well, the answer is “yes.”

From the Washington Post:

Tightwad Bank may be quirky and unproven, but it is a genuine bank with a real charter and a real vault and a pair of real bankers in charge. For good measure, the business cards say: “Tightwad Bank. Member FDIC.”

“We’re seeking the customers with a sense of humor,” said Donald S. Higdon, 54, who opened Tightwad with his business partner in May after they grew bored with running a sober-sided bank in neighboring Kansas. “We thought the downside was limited, the possibilities were reasonable and the amount of fun was limitless.”

If the concept does not work out — this is the second attempt at making a bank called Tightwad profitable — Higdon jokes that he can turn the place into a drive-through liquor store.

We hope it works out.

In Rural Missouri, The Place to Bring Your Cents of Humor [Washington Post]

Comments

1. GyroMight says:

In a town of 63 I wonder what % of the community uses them.

2. BrAff says:

I will stick with Tightwad Credit Union, thank you very much…

3. sjaguar says:

@FoxBearDog: I imagine that the people in neighboring towns might use the bank.

I would like like to get a bank card with their name on it so that I could give it to my wife. :) Yes, I’m a tightwad.

4. Shannon says:

Ha, I love it! I’d bank there, I’d love to see their name on my checks when I send in my bills!

5. Jabberkaty says:

I want one!

6. shorty63136 says:

Good ole Show-Me State! :)

7. forgottenpassword says:

Yay! Tightwad, Missouri! About 2 counties below me.

8. timmus says:

Well now they’re getting positive coverage in the Washington Post. That’s a solid home run for running a business. I bet their accounts will double by September.

On another note, I’m surprised Bank of America didn’t already have that name trademarked.

9. @Shannon: Do they offer online banking, b/c I will def open an account there.

10. DrJimmy says:

Second place goes to the local bank in Gun Barrel City, TX.

I’m not kidding.

11. Atsumi says:

Tightwad Missouri and I are in the same part of MO.

I usually laugh when I see them in the news.

12. MrEvil says:

Lots of folks from the neighboring towns of Warsaw and Clinton get accounts there just so their checks can say “Tightwad”. The bank used to be a branch of United Missouri Bank IIRC. My mom opened her accounts there since they had a branch in Warsaw. Then that branch closed. Next time I go visit mom I think I’ll put a couple hundred in a savings account there.

13. TVarmy says:

I just want checks that say Tightwad. They seem too far away for me, but if they would just let me print my checks on their template, I’d be set.

14. HogwartsAlum says:

Ah ha ha ha! I grew up here and never heard of them before. That is great!

This state is full of little tiny eeny weeny towns with funny names. My favorite so far is Tunas. (TOO-nus)

15. t-r0y says:

Go from Spendthrift to Tightwad in about 8 hours: [maps.google.com]

16. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

Do they offer online banking? If so count me in! I have a savings account with a long-term South Carolina bank (been around 100 years) and an online high-yield mma with Capital One but I’m game for a second account just for the fun of the name!

– gc3160
    website: thegc.deviantart.com
    email: gc3160@NOSPAMcharter.net

17. Triborough says:

I am wondering if there is someplace called Asshole where [insert name of least favorite bank here] could move to.

18. There was a nice little story about the bank on NPR a week back or so. Here it is… [www.npr.org]

19. hardisonthefloor says:

i live about an hour from this place, and i didn’t know it existed until this article.

20. usellubuy says:

Wonder what they charge for checks? Bounced checks? ATM fees? How tight is tight? ROFL!

21. DamThatRiver says:

That’s awesome, but not as awesome as if someone had opened up a bank in Boring, OR named after that town.

22. DamThatRiver says:

as it would be*

(hookt on fonix wurkt fer mee!)

23. FrankenPC says:

As long as the BANKER is the tightwad, I’d join in a second.

24. Deezul_AwT says:

I lived in Cumming, GA. No local bank, but they should have set up a sperm bank. Ba bum bum.

25. sds1977 says:

I grew up in Tightwad, MO and my parents still live there. The Tightwad Bank was originally built when I was a kid, 20 some years ago. My dad was hired to plow the bank drive whenever we would get a snow storm. Sadly it closed about a year ago, but I’m very happy to see someone reopen it.

I know that previously, they claimed to have an account from almost every country in the world open in the bank. The bank has been robbed twice at gunpoint in the past; my cousin was the only employee in the bank both times. The 2nd time they were robbed, the gunmen actually fired several shots at her. Luckily, after the first robbery, they installed bullet proof glass or she wouldn’t be here today.

26. plim says:

i don’t get it. the town currently has a population of 63 and so far 2 consumerists have grown up there? what are the chances?